Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hi, I have the following PC under my TV right now:

Ryzen 5 2400G + GIGABYTE GA-AB350N-Gaming board
Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
8 GB RAM, some kinda Mini-ITX case, small 300W PSU

I'm buying a cheap 4K display, and at some point I'll be upgrading the PC to play 4K games. If I want to play Red Dead II, The Outer Worlds, and various Steam titles, do I need to upgrade everything, or could I consider keeping the CPU and mobo?

If it would make more sense to upgrade a few months down the road, when some new, good-value card comes out, that's fine too.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Stickman posted:

You could keep transfer the cpu and mobo and they'll be mostly okay. The 2400g might have some frame pacing issues with more demanding games, though, and probably moreso in the coming years. The motherboard would be okay for a 2600, 3600, or even a stock 3700x but I wouldn't try to run anything more demanding on it. For 4k/60Hz you shouldn't need anything more demanding, though!

E: Native 4k is tough to target, but upscaling from 1800p or 1440p can look decent. If you keep your current computer, you probably just have to upscale from 1080p in newer games until you upgrade. Unfortunately, the next NVidia generation probably won't be released for at least another 6 months.

Thank you. I figure I will invest a little to run most games at 1440p, though RDR2 is likely staying at 1080p until I can get a next-gen GPU.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I bought a GTX 1060 so I needed a new PSU. Got a Cooler Master Elite 130, 430W. The SATA power connectors don't seem like they want to connect to my SATA drives though. I feel like the connector is the right shape but it seems like something is physically blocking the connector when I try to plug any of the power connectors into my drives. Am I overlooking something?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Probably have the connectors upside down.

I tried both ways but the problem was that I wasn't using enough force. They went on fine with some coercion.