Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

whats a good usb wifi adapter? i got one in like 2011 and they don't seem to make them anymore. Heck, i think it was recommended in this thread back when i built my computer during the i5-2500k / 560gtx heydays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

is there a huge difference between the amd 5600 and 5800 other than the price? id only really be using it for gaming and movie watching and general goon poo poo. im upgrading from the ye olde i5-2500k so anything is an upgrade but everything looks greek to me now

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

sean10mm posted:

It depends on if you're doing anything that needs more than 6 cores/12 threads.

If you don't know the answer to that then the answer is "probably not" and get the 5600X.

cool thanks, i have no idea what that means so I'll do that. The next question I have is is there a good mobo that has built in wireless? ive been using usb adapters and they aren't great and it was suggested that a mobo with it is better? Is this wrong? I think I would need a b550 right?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm looking at cases and man, there sure are a lot. What are the goto good cases nowadays?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

tuyop posted:

Depends, but probably just get a fractal design meshify c

I had a FD r2 or r3 and it was rad and looked at the define 7 but its like 190 dollars???

Kragger99 posted:

A few things to keep in mind when looking for a case:
Will it fit your CPU cooler (mostly applies to aftermarket ones)
Will it fit your GPU?
Will it hold the number of hard drives you're going to use (this more applies to data hoarders using 3.5" drives like me)
Does the front panel have the ports/connections you want (do you want a front panel with UBS 3.2, stuff like that)

I have a 1080ti and a 2080ti that I can throw in to my case. CPU cooler is going to probably be a aio water cooler like the corsair h-100x. hard drives will be nvme + 1 or 2 wd blue mechanicals I think. hoping to get probably a usb-c + 1-3 usb ports with the new stuff

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPzd7T

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($484.00 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($226.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1050.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-26 16:07 EDT-0400

currently have this stuff (its an upgrade for me and I was able to get it very cheap(like i paid 250 for it all)) plus a 1080ti and a 2080ti.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 26, 2021

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kragger99 posted:

I've only ever had experience with ATX mobo's/cases, but this thread should be able to provide good suggestions for a case that meets your needs.
Q. Are you installing both GPU's into that itx mobo?

no, just one. im basically letting a friend use whichever one i dont end up using. In my current case I have the 1080 because i am lazy and didnt want to redo my garbage cable job and the 2080 was too long. i should say i'm not looking at getting a tiny case either, i assume this mobo can fit in a normal case. i am very much not a power gamer. i will use this computer for bloons td 6. lots of bloons

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 26, 2021

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What else do you do with your computer that you are looking at a 3900x and 32GB of RAM along with water cooling? (along with an x570 board too)

i was looking at a 3600 and 16gb of ram but got offered these parts from a buddy for a price that couldnt be beat so i went with it. mostly mmos and map gaming and watching videos and stuff.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

All of that is WAY overkill for anything you are doing, so just make sure you actually are getting a price that can't be beaten.

i literally paid 250 dollars for the parts i listed in the pcpart picker list. they are in my possession.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That is indeed an absolutely insane deal. Pre-owned 3900x's are literally going for about $400 in the used market. You have a nice friend!

Yeah he got them a month before the new AMD stuff came out and he has more money than he cares about and promptly upgraded all of it to the new stuff so it barely has any use on it too. A good deal indeed! I just need a cooler, a case, and a hard drive though to make it all work. I should also say he gave me free of charge the 1080 and 2080 when he upgraded each generation too lol. But yeah that's why I'm here looking for a good case because the market is bewildering.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 26, 2021

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This doesn't really have anything to do with what I was telling Ramadu as the computer was going to be used to play bloons. I wanted to make sure they weren't actually buying a 3900x and 32GB of RAM with an x570 to play bloons. (turns out, Ramadu got an absolute steal!)

What you are doing is perfectly fine.

I wont lie, i was bein a little silly cause I do play other games but we play a lot of multiplayer bloons on discord and it uh, has provided far far more fun and entertainment than you'd expect.

bloons is real good

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mistikman posted:

:crossarms:

I never gave you a 1080.

Also apparently I am rich and wasn't troubleshooting an incredibly infuriating crashing issue that resulted in me replacing almost every single component in my computer over the course of 10 months.

Yeah my rl friend (the one who had the vaccine seizure gave me it because he upgraded to a 3090 even though I didn't need it???) Passing it on to another friend who needs one. Just a carosel of used parts in here

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hello, me again

I'm tryin to figure out if a cooler will fit in a case and I cannot seem to tell because i am an idiot baby

I'm trying to see if the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 will fit in a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact or if I would have to get the Fractal Design Meshify 2

please help I am so indecisive about big purchases

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Barry Foster posted:

I don't know much about cases but OP it's worth bearing in mind that the Arctic AIO radiators are slightly thicker than those made by other companies. So it's not one to one.

EDIT - here's the specs, you'll need to add the size of the fans and the radiator together I guess?

https://www2.arctic.ac/liquidfreezer2/liquid-freezer-280-en/

EDIT EDIT - lol it seems the radiator thickness isn't actually listed on there? I dunno. I'm sure somewhere around the internet will have the specs

Yeah this is why I was asking! It seems real annoying to find on the internet but whatever, I can just get the bigger case and i guess have more fans

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

whats the good thermal paste

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I ran into a very silly issue when i was building my new computer. I have a corsair SF600 platinum psu annnnnnnnnnd the cables are too short to go from the psu to the motherboard etc. So I need to get some extenders or replacements. Does anyone know what the good ones are for this?

who knew SFF psus had shorter cables!

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

dy. posted:

I have the same PSU and bought this which looks to be no longer available, though I'm sure the Corsair store has something similar. These are much longer, and a little easier to route because they don't have the very stiff plastic preventing them from bending.

edit: Here's the newer, in-stock version.

Hell yeah, thanks for the links. bought.

i won't lie, i burst out laughing when i went to plug it in and uhhh it didn't reach.