Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
kudos on cleaning up the OP, it's hugely appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mu Zeta posted:

Wut. Just get an external and put double sided tape on it and attach it to the top of the case.

Good lord, please just do this and save yourself this madness.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
A NUC sounds right up your alley.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

taqueso posted:

Any manufacturers of note that make cool NUC stuff and also aren't named intel?

Not mainstream ones yet. Some folks are making NUC like things with Ryzen SKUs meant for embedded applications, but I'd be wary of driver support. Rumor has it AMD is gonna push for it next year.

There was that hybrid thing with the Vega cores a while back, which was neat, but overpriced.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PageMaster posted:

Is there any advantage or benefit to PCIe 4.0 outside of future proofing?

Nope.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I can't find a decent B550 board in stock anywhere :(

also someone should change the thread title, it's not quite accurate anymore.

e: or at least it won't be in a few months

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Looking to spend $150-200 max, I just don’t have a clue what’s current and good. I don’t play games heavily much but I’d like to be able to make the Witcher 3 look pretty.

Probably either an RX580 (or 590 aka literally the same card) or a 1660ti if you can get a deal.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're just getting started editing 1080p, you can do it on a 15w laptop. I have no idea how the puget configurator had you end up with a $3500 machine good lord.

e: oh that's literally their bottom of the line configuration holy overkill. It's also excruciatingly adobe-focused.

e2: a U12S on a 10900K what the hell puget at least put a D15 in that honkin case

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 30, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's for *professionals* doing 4K editing + prebuilt premium + I'm guessing small enterprise level warranty/support?

Then for that price you're still getting 2666 RAM lol

Yeah it has all the markings of "this machine will run adobe products and adobe products only and sit in a corner and if anything goes wrong you call this number"

Which is great if that's what you need but if that's true you also shouldn't be getting advice from this thread. The sub-par cooling on an overclockable processor is actually just dumb though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sean10mm posted:

The 10900K is garbage for babies if your focus is actually doing real work and not winning at gaming benchmarks by 5% for double the price.

Except for Adobe products and only Adobe products, they're still terrible at multithreading. Puget assumes a pretty specific software suite that still benefits from intel's single threaded performance, which is pretty short sighted imo but whatever they're still in business.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zeta Acosta posted:

I want to spend 400 dollars, what would you do? I want gaming pc specs

What does "gaming pc specs" mean to you? What do you want to play, at what resolution and framerate? What monitor are you using?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

acksplode posted:

Is there a scenario where AIO liquid cooling is worth it? I haven't built a gaming PC in over a decade, but I'm considering diving back in when the 4th gen Ryzen and RTX 3080 arrive, and I'd like to put them in a midtower case and keep noise to a minimum. AIO wasn't really a thing last I dabbled, and I have no idea if these are a scam. I wonder if it might help the GPU breathe by freeing up internal volume that would otherwise be occupied by a big CPU cooler? But that's a total guess.

AIOs are great for compact builds where a 120mm rad will fit but a u12 or something won't, or if for some reason you have the space for 360mm+ of radiator and don't want to make your own loop. I don't fully understand why 240s exist when a noctua D15 is quieter than most of them, but people like the aesthetics I suppose.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I love the poo poo out of my meshify, I'm not buying another case for a long long time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I didn't even know you could do that, I've just been yanking the whole thing off and awkwardly swinging it to the side.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sean10mm posted:

We love the Meshify series because this thread is traditionally full of grumpy old bastards who don't do RGB and it's maybe the only windowless, 100% bling free airflow case line. :corsair:

I have a glass Meshify! I like looking at my DH-15. I call it "the tunnel of beige." People generally leave the room when i say it, but that's what I call it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sanctum posted:

I want an SATA SDD to plug into my 2017 computer which uses SATA HDDs, right? Also what the heck are these chip-like SSDs which look like ram sticks? PCIe SSDs? What are they?

Wait a sec, you probably have an m.2 slot. Can you tell us your motherboard model / system specs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

I got Windows installed, but at some point during the installation process my wireless internet receiver dongle just stopped working. I have tried putting it in all of the USB ports and I’m not getting anything. Is it possible for one of these things to short out?

Yes, but also look in device manager to see if it's showing up as a USB device at all. If so, it might be a software problem.