Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Looking into mobos, the 'MSI Z590-A Pro' seems decent, and has the ports I need, any reason not to go with MSI or it?

Also, it seems to have a 8pin and 4pin connector, while the 560 boards only have 8pin. I can't even remember if my current PSU has 8+4 pins, I think it has 4+4 pins. How long has this been a thing? I may go with 560 instead of 590 if I don't need to buy a new PSU, if I can find a board that fits all of my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

orange juche posted:

How old is your PSU and what was your PSU?

Just checked, its an Enermax modu 87+, 500W. I think it was one of the first gold rated ones on the market. It has an 8 pin connector but I don't see a 4pin one unless its modular and not connected. Gonna have to dig through the basement to check, but I'm starting to doubt it. The higher wattage ones apparently have 8pin and 4+4pin according to old reviews I found.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 30, 2021

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

orange juche posted:

If it's out of warranty or you're questionable on how close it is to the warranty date, replace it. PSUs are one of the most invasive parts to replace in a computer, you don't want to have to rip it out in 6 months to a year because it's out of warranty and might pop a capacitor and take your new parts with it.

Gamers Nexus reviewed the Intel Core i5-11600k today and said that it is a decent value buy, if you can get it for its MSRP (USD$270), since there's about a 70 dollar gap between it and the Ryzen 5 5600X. The 5600X is a better performing CPU in almost all benchmarks (only losing out in the Red Dead Redemption 2 benchmark), but it also costs more, and the 11600k when overclocked to 5ghz on all cores pulls even with the Ryzen 5 5600X at stock clocks.

basically the 11600k is going to be hot, and thirsty, but if you want to save money it's worth considering. The i7-11700k is worthless and a waste of sand at its price point, and the i9-11900k is a hot, loud waste of sand, that loses out to the Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 chips in performance, and doesn't run stable at stock clocks under stress testing.

Christ, Anandtech ripped the poo poo out of the rocket lake platform from what I'm reading, the only way Intel is competitive is potentially on price for the 11600k, and only if your only interest is value gaming, otherwise Rocket Lake is hot, loud, and kind of a waste, it's Netburst, baby!. If you can afford to get a 5600X based PC, go for it.

PSU is from 2010? 2011? but I'm not worried about it blowing, went for top of the line back then in order to keep it for ages. Replacing it is quick job, compared to mobo or CPU.

I can't decide what to go with. After the initial leaks of +15% IPC in the fall I wanted to go with intel, but it looks like its a disappointment, and 10nm parts with DDR4 support may come around EOY. Would like to wait on those, but can't really wait another year to replace my CPU. I may just go with a 5800X and B550 board, I do not want a X570 due to active cooling. However 5800X is 450 euros, 5900X is 700, all the parts stores are price gouging. Or see about picking up a used 9700K or 10700K. Even the i9 10900K is cheaper than the 5800X.

Ika fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 31, 2021

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can replace a CPU in like... ten minutes. Fifteen if there’s a AIO watercooler in the way. And that ten minutes includes making a cup of coffee first. A PSU is way, way more of a job and ten years is well past the point I would gamble with.

To be fair its a custom loop and routing is a bit restrictive.

orange juche posted:

If your workload is gaming, get the 5600x (or the i5-11600K, it is the only compelling cpu in rocket lake, and perfectly viable vs the 5600x if you overclock it). The IPC increases and other improvements between zen 2 and zen 3 negate the 2 missing cores and then some.

If your workload involves something more parallelized, then yeah that's a different tale.

Also, if it needs to be said, do not reuse modular cables from an old psu on a new one! that way lies very real danger to your components and potentially your personal safety if you cause a bad enough short. Modular PSU cables are made for very specific power supplies and can cause fires or other damage due to providing power to pins that shouldn't be receiving power, even within the same manufacturer.

My 4790K is fine for the games I still play, but rendering previews during photo editing is really costing a bunch of seconds here and there that add up to >25% of my time. Too many megapixels. Gonna lock the software to 1 core / 2 core / 4 cores to see how well it is parallelized tonight to see if many cores are worthwhile, I am fairly sure its tiled out and uses all of em.

I am aware, but thanks for mentioning it. Such a shame there isn't a standard.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Supply shortages aside, is it worth waiting until DDR5 comes out? I remember DDR3 remained competitive with DDR4 for quite a while.

I'm personally gonna do a DDR4 build in the next few weeks, and then try and pick up some really cheap used high end DDR4 in a year or two when DDR5 comes out. That should last me until the DDR5 teething problems get solved.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Really tempted to pick up a 128gb GSkillz DDR4-4000 kit for a new build thats basically on firesale right now. I can get it for 615 euro, while the 3600 version of the same kit is 690 euros.

Is there any reason not to get DDR4-4000? Is the 1.4V vs 1.35V critical? The performance gain probably is fairly insignificant, but the cheapest way of getting 128GB of DDR-3200 is already 515 euros so its also not a huge increase compared to the cost of the entire system. Going to be used for lite gaming, photo/video editing, coding. Most likely will be paired with 11th gen intel, depending on stock may go with a 5800X instead.

Note: My initial plan was to buy 64gb of 3200/3600 now and another 64gb or 128gb 4400 in a year or three when DDR5 adoption caused new/used DDR4 prices to drop significantly, but this feels like too good a chance to miss out on.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Butterfly Valley posted:

1. You should absolutely not be looking at an 11th gen intel for your needs, Ryzens are much better productivity CPUs.

2. 3600 is the fastest speed you should go for. Anything higher is actively detrimental with Ryzen CPUs for reasons I don’t understand, but exist. 3600 CL16 is what you should be aiming for.

3. 128GB of RAM is insane and you don’t need it, even if you’re editing huge 8K video files. 16GB is adequate for most users, 32GB is reasonable if you can get a good deal/have more productivity needs, and 64GB I could understand specifically for people who are editing massive 2 hour long 8K videos. Get 32GB, or 64GB if you really need it, and save the extra cash for a 5900X.

4. You can’t run RAM at different speeds together, they will just run at the lowest rated speed.

1: From what I have seen they are fairly similar, with ryzens having a lower power draw. However here its not resellers but the retailers themselves scalping the ryzen prices - 5900X is 800 euros, twice the price of the 11700K. 5800X is fairly comparable in price, but the new socket means I need to also buy a new CPU waterblock vs. reusing my current one. I'm waiting one more week to see what happens with 5800X and 11700K prices - will doublecheck benchmarks though to see if I misremembered.

2: I thought 4000 was good for ryzens because you then have a 2:1 ratio on the clock, and gives a bigger bump than 3600? But quadrank vs dualrank was detrimental? Maybe I am misremembering from the AMD thread a month or two back - but since this kit is same price/GB as the 3600 kits I could also run it at 3600.
(Edit: Turns out I misremembered and it is 3600 - so if I want to go with 64gb, I can save money by getting a DDR4-3600 kit, if I want to stick with 128gb, underclocking this kit is still cheaper than going with a 128gb or 2 64gb DDR-3600 kit[s])

3: I am currently running 32gb and definitely want at least 64gb. 128 is a bit over the top, the extra 64 is mostly futureproofing aud cause "gently caress it why not".

4: I meant 3200 or 3600, not a mix.

Ika fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 11, 2021

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

A 5900x will loving smoke the 11700k in most situations.

I would hope so at twice the price, but the question is will a 5800X that is only slightly more expensive than an i7 11700K also smoke it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yes. In his review, Steve called the 11700 a “waste of sand”

https://youtu.be/3n0_UcBxnpk

I thought that was the i9 11900k? Will look at AM4 boards tonight, see if I find one that has all the ports I need.

Ika fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 12, 2021