Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Is it worth upgrading from the “stealth” stock cooler on the Ryzen 5 3600?
It doesn’t look like overclock works well on the normal 3600 and my average die temps are 50 idle, 77 under load (3D Mark)
The cut off for this cpu looks to be 95, but I don’t know when it starts to throttle down. If its around 80 then i can see a bigger cooler being worthwhile, otherwise its a waste of money / shiny pc bling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

change my name posted:

Are those temps with overclocks or stock? Mine idles under 40 and hasn't gone above 65 in any benchmark tool yet with the stock cooler. I'd check if it's installed evenly, and mess around with the power plan settings if those are stock numbers.

The Wraith Stealth is kind of loud, though, I think it typically runs at 100% no matter what if you don't mess with fan curves.

Stock temps, but i run it on performance power mode so its mostly at 4.2. I did a decent job of fitting the cooler. Have even had it off and redone it once to check as it does run warm.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

I decided to swap out the stock cooler on the ryzen 3600 anyway. Cpu idle has gone from 55 average down to 25 average. The NH-D15 is a seriously nice cooler. Totally pointless as I don’t intend to overclock this one, but my own breathing is now louder than the cpu fan, so I guess that’s worth it.

Edit: max temp under load is 57. I can’t rate this cooler highly enough. Makes me wonder if the ryzens really run hot or if the stock cooler is just garbage.

Solly fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 14, 2020

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The ryzen stock coolers are just loud but they are adequate at cooling. Running at 55 isn't that bad and within spec. But yeah it's loud.

It’s not the 50 idle that bothered me but the 80 load