Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Alright. Yes I read the OP. But I need help. I could really use a new PC. Even just new to me.
My PC is past it. I realised recently it's about ten years old.
Usually I'd upgrade whenever there was a serious failure, but somehow it just hasn't happened.

What I'm after is kind of specific, but not necessarily high end.

I use things like virtualbox and friends. Things like tensorflow and other frameworks. Lots of software building. Occasional light gaming.
I also use Fusion 360 sometimes. It's one of the few reasons my PC even has a Windows partition.

So. Requirements would be:

AVX instruction support (everything should have it anyway)
CUDA. Mostly for deep learning, and some other libraries and software I use which take advantage of it.
USB3.0
Supports a reasonably large amount of common RAM. No snowflakes.
Modern SATA controller.

... That's about it I think.
I don't have a clue where to start. Haven't looked at PC hardware for years. I mostly play with SBCs and uCs.
I'd be fine with used, refurb or whatever.
I saw on Amazon they sell refurb PC's. Really I don't think I'd need more than Mobo, RAM, CPU and graphics card. Unless the ATX standard has changed, my PSU is more than adequate, and I have towers to choose from.

So, advice please?

I'm not after a high end PC or anything. Just something that will get the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Some Goon posted:

Budget?

Also, assuming your psu is also 10 years old, you should not be reusing it.

I dunno somewhere around $300AUD give or take.

I think the PSU is a bit newer. I remember it's a reasonably high wattage Corsair. I needed it because my old nvidia card, and the dual AMDs before it absolutely destroyed my old PSU.