Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SalTheBard posted:

Is it worth it to buy anything computer related right now? I haven't looked recently but have prices gone crazy with corona virus factory closings? I'm wanting to upgrade my storage to NVME's but when I built my computer 2 years ago it was during the time that RAM was stupidly over priced, I don't want to make that same mistake again.

PCPartpicker has a price history when you select components, I just did a build and everything seems stable right now. When the components were to arrive if I ordered is another thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Howdy folks, I’m building a new computer as I got a nice bonus coming this month, and figure it’s a good time to get a new build.

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? 4k-ish Gaming, a little video & photo editing, plus storage for photos / videos.
  • What's your budget? $1300ish, but willing to go over if there’s something necessary I’m missing I’ll go over
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Would like stuff to be 60fps at 4K, but doesn’t need to be ultra settings

Here’s my build, I’m mainly concerned about storage (1TB for SSD, 2TB on 7200rpm for storage I think is fine). I’ll need to add a wireless card as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($118.63 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1255.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-01 18:13 EDT-0400

Any issues with this build? Seems fine overall, or if I’m skimping / overpaying on something, I haven’t built a computer since 2013.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have an old tube of Artic Silver 5 that's probably about 10 years old. Is that okay to use or should I toss it and use the stuff that comes with my CPU?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I can't find any rubbing alcohol around me. Is there an option for cleaning off thermal grease from a CPU that doesn't involve rubbing alcohol?