Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
A college near me is having a technology surplus sale tomorrow and I think I'm going to stop. Anything that I should look for? Are the desktops usually good enough that throwing in a video card/more ram will allow for light gaming? (Mainly Sims 4)

Not sure if specs across colleges are pretty standard and there is something good to find/avoid?

For reference, this is what they have.
Complete PC Systems (monitor, keyboard, mouse, imaged PC and cables) - $94.70
PC Laptops - $75.83
PC Desktop - $47.39
All Mac Devices - $104.27
Projectors - $94.79
Miscellaneous Devices - $4.74 per item
Unknown Devices - $9.48
Hard Drives - $4.74
Monitors - $23.70
Cameras - $4.74
Cables/RAM - $1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Harminoff posted:

A college near me is having a technology surplus sale tomorrow and I think I'm going to stop. Anything that I should look for? Are the desktops usually good enough that throwing in a video card/more ram will allow for light gaming? (Mainly Sims 4)

Not sure if specs across colleges are pretty standard and there is something good to find/avoid?

For reference, this is what they have.
Complete PC Systems (monitor, keyboard, mouse, imaged PC and cables) - $94.70
PC Laptops - $75.83
PC Desktop - $47.39
All Mac Devices - $104.27
Projectors - $94.79
Miscellaneous Devices - $4.74 per item
Unknown Devices - $9.48
Hard Drives - $4.74
Monitors - $23.70
Cameras - $4.74
Cables/RAM - $1

So just got back from this. Was a three hour line in front of me. Ended up picking up two Dell Z220 with i7 3770, and 18 gigs of ram. Should be able to run sims and whatnot ok I'd imagine.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
16 yeah, mistyped. Video cards are just Nvidia quadpro k2000's so think I should just need to put a different video card in them and be set? Maybe grab some ssd's

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 21, 2019

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Convertable Mini Tower. Looks to be this one

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-wo...ghz-16-gb-2-tb/

But with a much smaller hard drive.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Harminoff posted:

So just got back from this. Was a three hour line in front of me. Ended up picking up two Dell Z220 with i7 3770, and 16 gigs of ram. Should be able to run sims and whatnot ok I'd imagine.

So opening this up and looking around, it looks like the mobo has a proprietary 18 bit connector and I've read about people having trouble with other power supplies fitting the case. The power supply is 400w however it only has 1 6 pin connector. Is there a decent graphics card that I could grab that only takes 1 connection? Not sure how to go about putting a better video card in this.

If anything I could get a new power supply and this https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B074G12LT5 and try and make it fit.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Can someone please let me know what the best either 6 pin or no pin video card is available right now? Would be used to play games.

I got a couple of workstations in a school sale with unchangeable power supplies so I'm stuck with using a 6 pin for the video card. Last year I picked up one of these for one of them

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IA9FEOO

Which is working great, plays everything I throw at it. I'd like to get something similar for the 2nd one, however the price on this went from $150 to $400