Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I have a very RAM specific question, I'm kind of murky on exactly how big a difference frequency and timings make these days. I have a 7700k with a mild overclock to 4.6, an Samsung 860 EVO m.2 drive as C:/ and an RTX 2070 on an MSI Z270-A Pro. Currently running 16 GB (2x8) of DDR4-3000 with 15-16-16-35 timing, I've been contemplating upgrading my ram and I'm looking at a 32 GB set (2x16) of DDR4-3600 (the board supports up to 3800 according to specs when I bought it) with 16-19-19-39 timings. I do use XMPP and the OC Genie stuff as well. How much of a difference would that make versus just buying 2 more sticks of what I've already got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well just to be clear, what I'm looking at is either buying the exact same memory kit (same brand, spec, timings even part number) or replacing what I've got with the 32GB kit. I know better than to mix disparate RAM sticks. You're probably right in that 32 is likely overkill, but even if I just replaced my existing RAM with the same capacity of the different spec. Would it make much difference?