Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have two pretty old 1TB HDDs I keep random stuff on in my PC and was thinking I could consolidate into a bigger, newer one. Any recommendations to keep an eye out for on Black Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Stickman posted:

Thanks for putting in all the work for the new OP, ItBreathes! Consolidating down to general advice should help longevity, too. Looks good!

How much are you thinking about spending and how big do you want to get? For TB/$$ you can't beat an 8TB WD Easystore or Elements. The Easystore often goes down to $130-140 so I wouldn't be surprised if it's that low or lower for Black Friday, but it might not beat the Elements' current deal at Amazon $125. The 12TB version of the Easystore will be $180 for BF.

If you're just using them as storage, external is fine. You can also remove (shuck) the drive and use it internally (Easystore, Elements), though you may need to disable a pin before it will spin up in on a standard SATA power connector (I just bent the pin back using an x-acto knife, but tape is less destructive).

Hmm I probably only need 2 TB, but I think 4 is a more common size? I have a whole NAS with about 12TB capacity already.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone see a HDD deal for BF yet? I'm thinking 4TB probably.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Any deals yet on a maybe 4TB HDD? Haven't seen any.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Please help with my storage use case. In my desktop I have a 500GB SSD for Windows and my main games, an old 120GB SSD I have a few games on, and two OLD 1TB HDDs with some rarely played games and then random other stuff. I want to replace and consolidate those two HDDs.

- I have a separate NAS with 16TB of space, so I don't need lots on my desktop.
- I feel like a 2-4TB drive would be more than enough.
- I don't want to spend $200 on a 2TB SSD
- Would I want a 7200rpm drive since a couple games would be on it?

Was hoping for sales, but only seeing those on SSDs. It looks like this would be the best option based on Price/GB https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j28H99/seagate-barracuda-3-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm008

There's also this hybrid drive that I was reading about : https://www.newegg.com/seagate-firecuda-2tb-st2000lx001/p/N82E16822179110?Item=N82E16822179110&Tpk=N82E16822179110

Maybe I should just get a 1TB SSD since my 500GB SSD is going to fill up eventually...

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 26, 2019

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
It sounds like one of the 80mm fans in my file server is making some new noise I don't like. I have two of these in there from 2016 https://www.newegg.com/silenx-efx-08-12-case-fan/p/N82E16835226033?Item=N82E16835226033 but I wonder if there's something better. I want quiet since it's always on (and now in the room I'm always in due to WFH). It's not a variable RPM fan which I guess would be nice when the server isn't doing anything. I don't know if the motherboard supports that though, but I'd have to see if I can remember which board is in here.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Noctua's going to be the way to go for that, but definitely check if you've got a 2, 3, or 4 pin fan. Either way the Noctua's support PWM if you have it.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=noctua+80mm

Thanks I'll look.

ALso my friend wants a GPU for about $200. Any recommendations? He games at 1080p. Mainly WoW, CS, a bit of Overwatch, etc.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Noctua's going to be the way to go for that, but definitely check if you've got a 2, 3, or 4 pin fan. Either way the Noctua's support PWM if you have it.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=noctua+80mm

Currently the fans are 3 pin but they're plugged into 4 pin connectors. Here's what the mobo says:

5x 4-pin fan headers (up to 5 fans), 5 fans with tachometer status monitoring, Low noise fan speed control, Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) fan connectors, Status monitoring for on/off control, Status monitoring for speed control, Support 3-pin fans (w/o speed control)

I should go with 4pin PWM like this then? https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-redux-1800-PWM-Performance/dp/B00KF7MVI2/ And I isolated the one making the noise, but if I replace both the new ones should be quieter most of the time from the PWM?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Rexxed posted:

PWM just lets it monitor the tach and speed it up and down as it wants to. That one will be fine, I think the A8 (brown kind) is probably quieter due to the rubberized corner pads and extra mounting accessories in the box like the rubbery screw replacements, but the R8 will still be super quiet and good.

The A8s I'm seeing are only 3 pin and now PWM. https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A8-FLX-Premium-Quiet/dp/B00NEMG9K6/ Does that matter? My current 3 pin fans are plugged into 4 pin plugs on the mobo but they don't change speed at all.

The 4 pin A8s specifically says PWM but aren't available: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NEMG62M/ref=emc_b_5_t

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I just put two 80mm PWM fans in my server since one of the ones in there before started making a bad noise and they weren't PWM. Now the fans are just constantly spinning up and then spinning down over and over again despite the thing being idle. I assumed the new ones would only spin up when it was under load, but it's so much more annoying now then the consistent hum from before. What settings should I be looking for in the BIOS? It's a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLL-F-O.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

your mobo manual says "The fan speeds are controlled by the firmware management via IPMI 2.0" so this stuff

Oh god great. Thanks though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
One friend got this list from another friend for 1080p gaming and then asked me for a 2nd opinion. Please comment on my thoughts below.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.88 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($89.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card ($299.99 @ B&H)
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case ($57.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($76.69 @ Newegg)
Total: $808.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-21 17:08 EDT-0400

- Don't think he specifically requested ITX. Any reason to do that?
- Mobo is unavailable but I know the VRMs are better on MSI B450s. But I also know nothing of ITX.
- RAM would be fine at DDR4-3200
- Definitely don't need that Samsung drive. If ITX fits 2.5" I'd probably just get a 1TB of another brand. Any recs?
- I don't follow mid range GPUs much, so not as sure about this particular 1660ti
- Don't know about ITX cases
- How is this PSU? I like Supernovas.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

One friend got this list from another friend for 1080p gaming and then asked me for a 2nd opinion. Please comment on my thoughts below.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.88 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($89.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card ($299.99 @ B&H)
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case ($57.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($76.69 @ Newegg)
Total: $808.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-21 17:08 EDT-0400

- Don't think he specifically requested ITX. Any reason to do that?
- Mobo is unavailable but I know the VRMs are better on MSI B450s. But I also know nothing of ITX.
- RAM would be fine at DDR4-3200
- Definitely don't need that Samsung drive. If ITX fits 2.5" I'd probably just get a 1TB of another brand. Any recs?
- I don't follow mid range GPUs much, so not as sure about this particular 1660ti
- Don't know about ITX cases
- How is this PSU? I like Supernovas.

Any thoughts on this from a number of pages back?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I got an EVGA G3 550W last year for my Ryzen 3600 upgrade, but now it looks like I'm going to need a new one already for a 3080! Would 650 work if that's what's available or would 750 make it comfortable? Is it still just the G3 or the Seasonic Focus? How's this CM? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cooler...p?skuId=6333805

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am thinking about cooling for a new PC build.

Case
I plan on using a PC-O11 Dynamic case. It supports three 120mm fans on top, three 120 mm fans on bottom, and an unusual three 120mm fans on the side of the case near the front.

FAN STUFF

I have an 011 Dynamic and just use 3 intake fans on the side. I use an air cooler so that's blowing that air out the back and/or up I guess. GamersNexus tested a bunch of configs for the case and they said this one worked. Don't know if AIO changes things though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone see a 3080 ready PSU in stock at normal price? Preferably a focus, G3, or RM? SAE A 650 RM on Amazon available on 10/3 but sold out upon refresh.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Would you take a 650W Seasonic Focus GX-650 for $101.50 or a 750W Corsair RM for $103.93?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
How do you tell your queue spot or whatever at EVGA?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
How I can I help a friend make this not overkill? The 3900X is a placeholder for a 5900X and he would also get a 3080. No monitor decision yet but I assume 1440p.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($439.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($289.74 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($284.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1654.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-26 18:00 EDT-0400

Maybe 5600X, air cooler, cheaper X570, 16GB DDR4-3600 or maybe 32GB, non Samsung SSD, don't know this case, and a 750W Gold PSU?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I don't see anyone getting the recommended DDR4-4000 with their Ryzen 3. Is 3200 still fine and even 3600 is overkill? Would be for 5600X on a B550 board.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Can someone explain RGB fan connectors/ecosystems really quick? I have these with the controller that connects to a USB header on the mobo https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...p?skuId=6339072 The software sucks so I found this https://github.com/MoshiMoshi0/TTController which is ok if you can edit a config file.

I want to get 3 more fans, but considered a new brand since that software sucked so much. They all seem to have these USB controllers which probably wouldn't work since that's in use. Are there ways to sync all this stuff? Are there RGB fans that either connect to or have controllers that connect to the mobo fan header? I've also heard of RGB headers which I guess my barebones MSI B450-A Pro still has.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Can someone who knows more about RGB fans help me out please? I have an MSI B450A-Pro (non-MAX) which says it has 1 x 5050 RGB LED strip 12V connector.

These fans https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081F47CNY/ say they have come with a few options: 3-pin rgb controller, 3-pin rgb splitter, 4-pin 3- way fan splitter, 3 pin rgb adapters. Would I be able to hook these up and control the LEDs with the least amount of bullshit possible?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

You won't be able to control them with the motherboard (and therefore via software). 12V 4-pin is regular analog RGB, 5V 3-pin is digital addressable RGB, and are essentially completely incompatible. You'll be able to control the LEDS with the controller, though, and you'll still be able to plug the fans into the motherboard.

If you want to control RGBs with software you'll need to get regular RGB fans.

What are "regular" RGB fans?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Not sure where to ask this but it didn't get much interest in the headphones thread. Is there a recommended PC mic for open mic gaming?

I have Sennheiser HD599s which have the 2.5mm jack so I can't use my old VModa boommic and the last 2.5mm headset mic I bought broke.

I've heard some things about the Mod Mic https://smile.amazon.com/Antlion-Au...n/dp/B07YN25KWN There's a USB one that's $15 more. This would go in the front of my case.

Keeping it off the desk would be nice and wouldn't something like a Blue Yeti pick up my keyboard? I have Cherry Reds so not too loud, but still.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Will a B550 board support a Ryzen 1600x? My friend is getting the CPU for free. The zen 3 CPUs are the last using AM4 right? So then getting a 550 over 450 doesn't make it anymore future proof I guess.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone have a 3 pack of white 120mm fans they recommend? I think I'll have to settle with no RGB since I already have 3 TT fans in there and the hub only supports 5. Don't want another controller in there and don't feel like spending like $200 or whatever to get 6 Corsair fans.

I have an MSI B450-A Pro if it means I can use that to control some more RGBs.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Get three of these.Tweak the fan curves so they don't run at ~1000rpm where there can be a bit of coil whine.

If they go over 1000 there's a whine? Are they effective below that all the time?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Since these are not PWM https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-icue-sp120-rgb-pro-120mm-system-cabinet-fan-kit-with-rgb-lighting-black-white/6356250.p?skuId=6356250, how is the speed controlled? It has the hub which connects via USB to the mobo, can you not set a fan curve in iCUE?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

spunkshui posted:

PWM and 3pin fans can both have their fan speed controlled by a motherboard.

PWM fans are able to do a much wider range of speeds and much lower speeds.

The fans will come with two cables. One of them is the RGB cable you need to plug into the included 6 port RGB hub, and the other one will be the actual 3pin fan power cable.

Most people then plug the 3pin into the motherboard and control the speed that way. Or they get a 15$ fan speed hub and plug all the 3 pins into that (highly recommended if you want a ton of fans).

There is a way to control your actual fan speeds inside of corsair’s software and there are some advantages like being able to making case fans listen to your GPU temps

The commander pro.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-commander-pro-hardware-controller/6229603.p?skuId=6229603

Corsair’s newer water cooling units actually have a commander pro included.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-icue-h100i-elite-capellix-cpu-cooler-black/6422732.p?skuId=6422732

I’m actually controlling my case fans with an older model corsair AIO and a fan splitter but I don’t recommend it considering better solutions now exist.

Thanks. I noticed that the fans just come with the lighting node which doesn't allow for fan speed control through iCUE. This is dumb so I just went with the non RGB white Arctic P12 PWM fans instead.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My group of my friends are chipping in to surprise another friend with a PC since he hasn't been able to play with us a long time. He's also been clobbered this past year with unfortunate events.

We're not sure how much we'll have since we were originally targeting a friend selling this laptop for $450 https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06198277 but now we're already at $400 just from 3 of us so might be able to build one.

If we had maybe $800, what should we shoot for? Would need monitor and peripherals.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

bus hustler posted:

What do you play? When used parts come into play and on a tight budget, IMO it becomes a matrix of options that ranges from

-get a used office machine, jam a video card in it
-buy a used system or used parts from places/SA mart
-all the way to build a budget system & add on to it.

Building NEW is going to be super super tight right now on any budget. But start with what you expect to play and I can work best with that. If you are at all interested in physical sales you can PM me and i'm happy to help browse your local Craigslist/Facebook. Also if you have a microcenter that's key, plenty of intel options for budget.

The issue on building is the video card. There really isn't a new-in-box video card you can buy right now that's under $400 unless you "e-camp out" for a 1650 super, an 18 month old card selling above its original launch price.

Lately we've been playing Sea of Thieves, Overwatch, Don't Starve Together, Left 4 Dead 2, Warzone, Risk of Rain 2, Deep Rock Galactic, Among Us, but games come and go all the time. Groups splinter off and then regroup or mix and match. Not sure what he would personally be interested in regarding singleplayer. He has a PS4/Switch and has played TLOU2, FF7R, GoT, and Hades recently.

Definitely doesn't need to be new. We're in Minneapolis. One friend has a 2080 that he might be willing to use as his donation, but the rest of what we could get might bottleneck it. It also doesn't need to be that powerful really. That would be great if you spotted some things. That laptop still might be a good option and any extra cash we have goes towards peripherals or maybe even a monitor.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

bus hustler posted:

So you have $400 now and someone may donate a GPU?

If this is still available I'd see if you can get https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/minneapolis-cyberpowerpc-gamer-master/7257354670.html for under $500 and then take the guy's 2080 and buy a replacement PSU for $110 and be done with it.

As is it's not awful and the video card in it probably could be sold for the new power supply close to straight up.

Another option is to get something like this: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/sys/d/forest-lake-dell-optiplex-7040-sff-i5/7257772237.html and get a SFF card like a 1050ti or a 1650 if you can find one.

We're at almost $1000 now if the guy with the GPU gives cash instead of the card.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
The guy with the 2080 thought it was only worth $300. He's not the smartest. I looked and see it's at least $500. Probably going to donate a portion of potential proceeds instead. drat GPU market though. Thought I was done with this poo poo once I got a 3080. Already sold by 1070 back in October.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I think it comes down to him not wanting to donate that much. If it was cash he was thinking $300. If he did put in the card, we'd probably say keep $200 of the other funds. Let's say that puts us at $500 remaining. Don't think that's enough for the rest of the PC plus monitor and peripherals. It's the issue that the GPU eats up too much of the budget.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

bus hustler posted:

I still think the used system I linked you is a good deal especially below $500. Hard to put together new for under $600 these days. The PSU is junk but all it would need is a PSU ($110) and a monitor to get going same day.

AMD 2600 isn't really available anymore but is a solid 6 core 12 thread CPU. The 3600 will set you back $325 just to get in the door between CPU and board.

Do not sell that card that's absurd and one hell of a gift. Plenty of my friends with 2070 Supers are sitting out this entire generation. The new consoles will punch with an AMD 2600 / 2080 all generation, that's a fairly high end gaming PC. "Cyberpunk at 1440p high with RTX off"

OK update on the donation build. Our friends made it rain and we have $950 plus the 2080 for this build. Can probably try to go the new parts route. I'll look at that craigslist post again though. Any other recommendations? Also, what's the best way to get Windows? I think I've seen like $5 keys on ebay that are legit?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

This would be a good start:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KFQcmk

Just needs a case choosing (for which you'd be better getting advice from other posters as I've only researched SFF cases for myself) and peripherals, where there's plenty of KB+M packs on Amazon to choose from based on aesthetics or brand or maybe you could scrape up second hand ones between your group or whatever.

There's potential to save a bit of money on the motherboard, the b450 I chose is on the higher end there, and you could drop the storage to 500GB although if you're playing Warzone that's like half of that gone already. You could get a mATX mobo and case to save size, if that's a concern. If he's getting a 2080 then anything other than a 1440p high refresh rate monitor would be a waste imo, so I've chosen the best budget option there.

Really cool thing you're all doing, and if you can afford to buy new might as well do it properly and blow this guy's mind.

Thanks. We have a Microcenter local too. I see plenty of $80 micro ATX B450 boards. Should I be checking those out? Is it better to get onboard WiFi or get a PCI card? I've always been wired.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Go for onboard.

Also local micro center is an amazing resource here. Go and check their open box poo poo (open box discount stacks sale prices). Their open box stuff is generally good quality, and you can always just run back with anything that’s not perfect and they’ll exchange or refund you. They’ll let you physically check out the open box stuff most times if you ask.

I was able to get that same ram in butterfly’s build for $43 open box when on sale.

If you set your local store on their website, you can filter by open box and see exactly what they have/prices. I’d look for ram, motherboard, and case.

As far as $80 matx boards, the answer is it depends.

For boards with wifi at microcenter I see this mATX for $90 https://www.microcenter.com/product/620748/asrock-b450-amd-am4-microatx-motherboard or this for $120 https://www.microcenter.com/product/510206/gigabyte-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-amd-am4-atx-motherboard

I know the MSIs are good, but no Wifi.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The arous pro is a good board.

How about the other? Saving $30 would be nice since the budget is pretty strict.

I asked about cases before. What's a good all around budget one? I see the H510 a lot and it's $61 right now https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TC76671/ or the H500 is only $45 from NZXT's site. Also heard the Phanteks P300A is good https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083LYL7V5

Maybe should go even more budget?

Here's where I'm at right now, but subtract off $46 for getting CPU/mobo at MicroCenter and the PSU at Best Buy with employee discount. After tax it will be $927, just under the $950 budget. Someone has a membrane logitech gamer keyboard and a G502 to give if needed. Oh and add Windows and we're at $942. He'd have to get a mic on his own.

Anything else I should downgrade to try to fit anything else in?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ B&H)
Total: $908.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-14 21:53 EST-0500

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

nitsuga posted:

You’ll probably get by, but it wouldn’t hurt to get a 650W PSU. Something like this would be great: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8PJtt6/evga-supernova-g1-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-120-gp-0650-x1

That would be $30 more than the one I put in since I'm using my discount on that one. I could get this one for $8 more than the listed one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/season...p?skuId=6414270 It's just semi modular. Pretty much guaranteed to need the cables that aren't modular though. That makes it practically $950 on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

How about the other? Saving $30 would be nice since the budget is pretty strict.

I asked about cases before. What's a good all around budget one? I see the H510 a lot and it's $61 right now https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TC76671/ or the H500 is only $45 from NZXT's site. Also heard the Phanteks P300A is good https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083LYL7V5

Maybe should go even more budget?

Here's where I'm at right now, but subtract off $46 for getting CPU/mobo at MicroCenter and the PSU at Best Buy with employee discount. After tax it will be $927, just under the $950 budget. Someone has a membrane logitech gamer keyboard and a G502 to give if needed. Oh and add Windows and we're at $942. He'd have to get a mic on his own.

Anything else I should downgrade to try to fit anything else in?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ B&H)
Total: $908.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-14 21:53 EST-0500

Any other thoughts on this? Otherwise probably start ordering stuff shortly.

Will the 2080 essentially have a shorter life by going with a 1440p monitor knowing that games will just get more and more advanced? 1080p could keep the FPS up longer?