Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Looking to finally pull the trigger on Ryzen now that my oldest machine has given up the ghost - can I get a sense check on the below? The case and video card are coming across from the old machine so they're included for reference, and the cooler was recently purchased and fitted to the old machine before it failed. Going by Noctua's website it should be acceptable for the 3700X so I'd prefer to keep it for noise reasons, but if the Wraith cooler packaged with the CPU is better/quieter I'll just use that instead.

Additional info:
  • I'm in the EU (NL)
  • The system will be a VM host running in headless mode, hosting both a gaming VM (which will have the GPU passed through to it once everything is set up) and a few other misc VMs doing number-crunching or similar. I'm not planning any substantial overclocking.
  • I have some budget flexibility (~+100 euros) if there is a strong reason to choose an upgraded component (e.g. motherboard or PSU).
  • I chose the Aorus Pro for the combination of price, the 3 full-length PCIE slots (running at either x16/-/x4 or x8/x8/x4 if I understand the architecture correctly) as well as the 2 additional x1 slots for further expansion cards. All of my existing drives are SATA SSDs (1x) and HDDs (5x), I'll replace them as and when they start failing but for now they are acceptable.
  • I had some trouble choosing the RAM. 2x16GB dual-rank DIMMs at 3200/CL14 look to be the generally preferred choice to hit 32GB total on Ryzen (either that, or 4x8 3200/CL14 or 3600/CL16). I've had good experiences with G.Skill in the past but other vendors are fine if the price/performance is right.
  • I picked the Corsair as one of the gold-marked options for single-rail in Tier A in this LTT list.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($308.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($121.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $1000.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-02 16:34 EDT-0400

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU