Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does pcpartpicker just no longer work with canada? seems totally unusable now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
are there specific nvme drives to look at or avoid? years ago i kinda remember samsung having the best general buys for ssds but thats about as much as i know

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

cool, thank you!

edit: when you say the sx8200, do you mean the sx8200 pro? the 8200 doesnt appear to be priced but the pro seems to be in line with the others

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 8, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

im starting to notice in a number of games that my current system is just barely passable, but still struggling with some newer games. if i wanted to upgrade a 6600k to a ryzen 3600, but retain my gtx 970 for 6 months or so for the next GPU wave to come out, am i going to notice an appreciable difference for that 6 months or should i just suffer and wait for both a new gpu and zen3 stuff. i'm still working with a 1080/60 monitor and would probably look to get a new monitor at the same time i upgrade the GPU

i have no real interest in getting a 3600 and then upgrading to a zen3 processor so i dont really care that the current motherboards arent going to support it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Mistikman posted:

Everything we know about the next generation of Nvidia GPUs is very much rumor at this point. Nvidia has a big announcement on May 15th that will likely give us some concrete information.

That said, the rumors are encouraging, and there is a good possibility there will be a good performance jump between the 20 series and the 30 series.

Given you are coming from a 970 though, there was a huge performance gap between the 9 and 10 series, so even if there wasn't a massive gap between the 10 and 20 series, getting a 2070 (starts around $400) to be comparable card to your 970 is going to literally double your performance, plus give you access to RTX and DLSS 2.0. If you can wait, you can probably get an even bigger bump in 6+ months, but you can get a huge boost right now.

thats good info. i'll probably wait until may 15 and see how people breakdown the info and consider my options then. thank you

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

at what point should someone primarily interested in gaming consider 32gb of ram? my current system has 16 and i feel like i sometimes scratch the edge of that between [big game] + firefox + league client + spotify

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

some of the more popular motherboards are basically impossible to get in vancouver or maybe even canada. if a tomahawk (which seems to be the main one everyone recommends or is getting) is out of the question, are there any brands and or specs that i should look to as a bare minimum to get something comparable for a 3600?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 13, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just a heads up to anyone that MSI x570 tomahawk boards are about to go on sale and look to be the best in the market for those. Keep a look out this week if not next.

is this gonna mean that the 450 tomahawks are gonna finally be available

Klyith posted:

Crucial Ballistix 3600

(Crucial ballistix is micron e-die, the current most ryzen-friendly module. 3600 will be an easy XMP set-and-forget that will work out of the box on any mobo. You can run that ram even faster with manual OCing, but after 3600 there are strong diminishing returns.)

crucial seems really hard to get in canada for whatever reason, are there other similar brands

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 14, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

im canadian

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

holy poo poo, tomahawks are back in stock in canada. i wonder if they're finally getting over the supply shortages

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

lags posted:

Where exactly? I can't find it anywhere.

memory express has them at a bunch of stores in the lower mainland, canada computers had a few scattered about

edit: earlier i was complaining about the canadian pcpartpicker being broken and yeah its hosed. CC doesnt show up for the tomahawk at all, amazon keeps telling me its in when it isnt, ME currently has it and it says out of stock - the only reliable vendor when you're looking at these parts is best buy

that said, it looks like amazon.ca has a couple too?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 13, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

wait until the 16th, buy a B550 motherboard

if im just gonna use a 3600 or 3600XT is there a reason for me to do this? i just ordered that exact mobo and was gonna pick it up tomorrow, though i can cancel as i havent paid for it

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 14, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

f im getting 32gb of ram for a b450 tomahawk and a 3600, does it matter at all if its 4x8 or 2x16? i assume just go for whatever's cheaper?

edit: actually, different question - is there a difference between

https://www.newegg.ca/crucial-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820156224?Item=N82E16820156224

and

https://www.newegg.ca/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164176?Item=N82E16820164176

other than the annoying casing?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 16, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

2x16 is better, though it'll likely be a bit more expensive. 4 ram sticks are harder for the controller to drive so it's not uncommon that it has to reduce speed or timings to compensate.

ok cool

uh, followup:

is there a difference between

https://www.newegg.ca/crucial-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820156224?Item=N82E16820156224

and

https://www.newegg.ca/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164176?Item=N82E16820164176

other than the annoying casing?

edit: oh, i guess the timings are a lot worse on the stuff without the casing. ah poo poo buying parts up here is such a goddamn hassle

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 16, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

oh ok cool. yeah crucial seemed really hard to get a hold of up here (the two main stores near me dont even seem to stock it) but that stuff is actually available. i know people have said that 16 is usually enough but the number of times i look and see my current 16gb at 90+% use has made me want 32 if i could get my hands on it. thank you

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65813

should be a sufficient power supply to do a 3600 and a next-gen nvidia card (like a 3070 or whatever the name is for that model) when they come out, right?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The Meshify C is a great case but the features feels ancient at this point. They need a 2020 update with new ports. They just released a newer ITX case and a redesigned Define 7 so it can't be far behind.

what’s missing?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

xzzy posted:

For me, usb-c. The spec is still a long ways off from mass adoption but I think it's reasonable for enthusiast hardware to adopt it.

thats just in the front, right? the motherboard can/will still have usb-c on the back, or am i mixing something up

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

Uh, yeah, stuff not being in stock is a thing these days.

AFAIK pcpartpicker just uses scrapers to determine price & stock so it's not great for real-time stock checking. I dunno how often they cycle through products but I've definitely had them say in stock on pcpp but be sold out on amazon or whatever. (Also B&H are scummy, do things like say in stock when the only "stock" they have left is one display model -- so they take your money and put you on the backorder list.)

It's a build and general price comparison engine, it's not built for the pandemic. If you want to build a PC right now you are going to have to split orders over multiple sites or multiple days, sign up for auto-notify, and generally :f5h: for stuff.

edit: like if you want to buy everything from amazon you can register an account on pcpp, they have some feature in there about "preferred stores". but ordering every part from amazon is gonna be difficult.

it's really bad for amazon.ca and it doesnt seem to check canada computers for like 90% of stuff. it also just straight up told me there are no power supplies in stock at memory express and they had like 20. basically only newegg and best buy report correctly for canada so check every part manually

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is there a safe way to test if a PSU works? i found an RM550x just sitting in my pile of stuff and it has the serial number of a psu I bought in 2016, but I'm not using it. im pretty sure it was defective and I forgot to RMA it, and now I'm wondering if I should just do that instead of buying a new one

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

here are the parts that i've purchased as of right now and the build i was planning on doing. at some point i'll get a 3070, whenever theyre available, but for now im just transplanting my 970 from my old machine. this is all in CAD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $419.50)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $169.99)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $144.99)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $299.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $134.50)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $144.99)
Total: $1313.96

the bold items are items i can still change out for another 10 days. unfortunately the motherboard was purchased when stock was extremely bad and its outside return policy

my questions are then

A: stock cooling should be fine, right? i've overclocked in the past, but never by a lot, and didnt really consider it for this build
B: its unlikely i will ever get into anything 4k with this machine. I'm going to buy a 1440p monitor or two probably by the end of the year. if im just gaming, going to a 3080 is totally overkill, but is returning this stuff and waiting for zen 3 also overkill?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

how easy is it to clone a computer with win7 onto a new computer/fresh ssd and then upgrade to windows 10? i know stuff like that has been an issue in the past with windows and i'm not sure if its better to just do a clean install (which i would prefer to avoid, for convenience reasons)

is it just a matter of building the new computer with both drives, booting from the old one and using a cloning program and then booting from the new SSD?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

You can do that. Win7 will probably move to the new PC and boot functionally. However, it may be non-optimal based on a couple different factors. I'd recommend doing it in the other order: update to win10 on the existing machine & drive, then move it to the new PC and do the clone to the new drive (with macrium reflect).

However, IMO a clean install is a way better idea for this situation, and has the possibility of being a lot *more* convenient because there are many less things to go wrong.

yeah that's kinda what i was thinking. my problem is that there is some software that's annoying to re-install on the computer as-is. i'll give it a shot to upgrade to win10 and then clone, and I guess in the worst case scenario, i'll just have to re-format

"thanks!" he said as he only took the half of the advice that suited him

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 15, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

the only advice I seriously care about people following is have backups of your personal / important data!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaPkSU8DNfY

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

i7 6700K doesn't have the major problem the 6600K does since it has hyperthreading. If you're OCing that puppy it's still a decent CPU, and my advice to other 6700K owners ITT has been that if I had one I'd be stretching it out until DDR5 platforms come out. If you're not OCing get those free gainz!

How much you're CPU limited depends on your screen resolution. At 4k, the 3080 is relatively balanced with an OCed 6700K. At 1440 you're gonna be CPU limited, and TBH a 3070 is more appropriate to an under-4K screen anyways.

VVV edit: yeah a 3080 is a major overbuy in that case. wait for the 3070 / whatever AMD has coming

i have my 6700k at 4.4ghz and honestly its still really showing its age. even xcom2 chugs in a long campaign and its constantly apparent in something like TW:3K

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

edit: nm just took it out a diff way

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

the only advice I seriously care about people following is have backups of your personal / important data!

Klyith posted:

You can do that. Win7 will probably move to the new PC and boot functionally. However, it may be non-optimal based on a couple different factors. I'd recommend doing it in the other order: update to win10 on the existing machine & drive, then move it to the new PC and do the clone to the new drive (with macrium reflect).

However, IMO a clean install is a way better idea for this situation, and has the possibility of being a lot *more* convenient because there are many less things to go wrong.

i just did this - win7 to win10 and then migrate - and it worked perfectly. even let me re-activate win10 after trying to tell me i couldn't. also because your advice was so useful i made sure i backed up all of my personal and important data before doing it, so thanks again!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i bought a 1440/144 monitor because its on a months long back order but right now im running it on a 970 (waiting for a 3070) and the games that it can accomplish this on that were released this year are uh, spelunky 2 and hades and thats it lol

and even then im sure hades has some slow downs in some areas but i havent really felt it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Asema posted:

I've done it. I'm gonna stop talking to this thread about the parts because they are purchased.

Now comes the anxiety of building.

last time i built a computer was 2014 and then i built one a month ago and i was totally blown away at how it had somehow gotten even easier. cases in particular seem to have improved drastically

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm planning to get a new PC soon (basically once zen3 benchmarks come out and I decide what I want).

Reinstalling all my software and setting things up right seems like a giant PITA - is it possible to just take my boot drive and stick it in a new PC and have everything work?

a month ago i upgraded win7 to win10 and then cloned with macrium reflect and it worked flawlessly, so the answer is yes, even if its not widely recommended. havent had a single conflict or problem that i could trace back to that, just trivial things like trouble getting the computer to sleep (fixed with help from the win10 thread)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

buglord posted:

So how much of a disaster is getting a 3070 going to be? My friend and I will be attempting to order one for him at launch so he can be ~cyberpunk ready~ and I know its gonna be a poopshow.

I saw that EVGA has a notification program where they queue you up, but that appears to be for 3080 customers only?

you would think that between delaying the launch, having some experience with a bad launch and having taken some of the pressure off by at least selling some 3080s that the 3070 launch would be smoother. i dont really have any experience with previous launches but i would hope that between that and amd cards coming out that it shouldnt feel as bad even if you cant get one on day one

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hmm i got a pro a short time ago. how do i tell what controller i have if the ssd is in the machine already?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Newegg doing a $70 sale right now on the Meshify C white. (My case.)

https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-meshify-c-white-tg-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352087?Item=N82E16811352087

Still a great case to this day but you will have to buy some case fans for it.

maybe a good time to ask - i put together a computer in a meshify c with the default fan config and then maybe now a month later i want to add a couple case fans. is there an obvious configuration i should use for this case if I buy two more fans or does it rely on other components

edit: is it easy enough to add fans to it or am i going to have to disassemble part of it to get them in there

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

whats the last innovation that caused systems built prior to basically be out of date overnight?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

can a gpu failing in win10 cause a full system reboot? a couple times in the last month launching a game has caused my system to reboot, and its artifacted a couple times which makes me think my 6-7 year old gpu is finally gonna die soon. i also built this system about a month ago and im kind of afraid the ram is a problem, so i guess i'll run memtest at some point tonight too

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

funkmeister posted:

overheating, RAM, PSU, GPU
artifacting does point a bit at GPU tho
can try the ol, "clean uninstall of display drivers + install latest", if you haven't

its not getting hot as far as i can tell, ill test the ram, the psu is brand new and it only seems to be happening when a new gpu-related task happens. ill try the thing with the display drivers

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

bus hustler posted:

Make sure your CPU is making good contact with the HSF and there isn't too little or too much thermal paste. Reseating GPU maybe too, but it does sound like it could be a GPU issue. Do you have any onboard or an older crappy card just to test?

no, unfortunately. its also extremely rare, like once a week level, so i'd be testing on that card for a long time

i dont know the best way to measure the temperature of my machine but at least hwmonitor suggests that my cpu idles at like 38 and never really gets above 65 or so

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 7, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

sean10mm posted:

2x140mm front, stock 1x120mm exhaust

Noctua P14S Redux 1200 PWM are nice.

hey, thank you - i did exactly this. that said, i have two stock fans. for now i have the second one venting at the top of the case, figuring that theres still at least some positive pressure because the intakes are larger fans than the exhausts. i did also consider having the back fan as an intake so the only exhaust is at the top of the case (where i guess hot air would congregate) but i dunno if thats better or worse

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Sindai posted:

Thanks to this I just realized the gigantic three-fan 3070 I snagged is definitely not going to fit in a Meshify C and I also need a recommendation for something a little bigger.

It's a shame because other than that the Meshify looks perfect.

which one did you get thats so big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

KinkyJohn posted:

So what are the chances of ever buying a 3070 or 3080 at msrp prices?

I guess the best move if you want to build a new system right now is to not build a system right now, amd 5000 cpus and nvidia 3000 cards are out of stock and being scalped like crazy

low but not impossible. if you look at the discords that have been posted about and just set them to fire off notifications on your phone you can be pretty quick to respond. hell i got a 3070 in canada off of a twitter notification so just being quick and alert for a couple weeks and you have a reasonable chance, i think