Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I'm looking for one final sanity check on a PC I'm going to help my dad build next month.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Primary purpose is scientific computing of video data. He might do a little big of gaming as well.
What's your budget? It's basically infinity. If one were available from a retailer, we'd drop a 3090 in it but the current plan is to get something serviceable and replace it later.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? http://www.mousemotorlab.org/deeplabcut is the main software my dad wants to powerhouse.
What’s your typical project size and complexity? It seems like the videos he's analyzing aren't actually that big (40-80 frames of 900x750 resolution) but the people he works with are recommending the higher end graphics card for his workloads. If there are more specific questions, I can ask.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3840 x 1600 at 60 Hz https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-38-curved-monitor-u3818dw/apd/210-amrc
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I think my dad will enjoy games more if they are pretty - he likes racing games a lot - but I don't think this is the driver for the build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.40 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA ATX AM4 Motherboard ($294.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($244.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Purple 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($281.45 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair HXi 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $2485.58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Thanks a bunch to both of you for your help!