Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
So this thread previously suggested a build that included this case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

but I kind of like this one that's on sale now. Are they comparable? Is the second one any better by virtue of being more expensive, or is it just more expensive? The reviews are kind of lackluster though, I guess maybe I should listen to those.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Hey folks I posted in here before but I never pulled the trigger, but I'm looking into a new PC again. Here's what was suggested to me last time:

PCPartPicker Part List:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING OC PRO Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Here are my desired specs:

What country are you in?:
USA

What are you using the system for?:
Gaming and mid-level Unreal Engine development

What's your budget?
Up to $1500. I'm hoping for the most bang for my buck but I'm willing to invest a little.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity?
I'm hoping to put out an amateur solo project in the next year or two, I need something good enough to learn on and get to higher level development (at which point I'll upgrade again)

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution?
I'm using This, 1080p 144hz. I'm open to a second monitor but I'll worry about it later.

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
Medium graphics is good enough for me but I should probably keep it decently powerful for the Unreal engine stuff.

Anything changed in the last few months? Any suggestions?

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 5, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Hello, I posted a couple times but never pulled the trigger, and I have a bigger budget to work with now. I was waiting for new tech to come out and for prices to stabilize, is it getting time to buy soon? Is there a good build I can snag from someone? Here's what I'm looking for:

What country are you in?: USA
What are you using the system for?: Gaming, streaming, and UE development. I'm not a "Pro" yet so I don't need top-of-the-line, but I'd like to start some real 3D graphics work.
What's your budget?: Whatever I need to hit these specs, this is going to be my new baby for a while. $2000+
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?: Unreal Engine, Maya
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?: My monitor is 1080p/144hz. I'm looking for medium-high settings on like Modern Warfare or something.

It's my first big PC and I'm out of my depth with regards to brands and putting it together and stuff so any suggestions are appreciated.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 2, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

I posted before about buying a PC but I keep putting it off, which is just as well because I've been too timid about what I actually want. However, before I ask for a recommendation, I have a question about timing, and pardon me if this has been asked a dozen times before:

I'm looking to build a professional gaming/streaming/UE4 box in the near future, how much longer should I wait for good hardware and/or prices? I guess some good stuff is coming out in Mid-October? I'm pretty sure I want in on the 3070/3080 bandwagon, are those going to be more widely available soon?

I'll take any recommendations you have now but if something good is coming out soon then I'll be patient.

What country?:
USA
Using the system for?:
Gaming, Streaming sometimes, UE4 development
What's your budget?:
~2000$, I'm flexible. Call this my "mid-life crisis machine"
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?:
Unreal Engine, Maya, things related to that, VfX programs
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?:
Currently 1080p/144hz, open to 2560x1440 at a later date. Looking for medium-High or better on modern games

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 25, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Ok the new GPUs are out (mostly depending on stock) and the Zen3 stuff has been announced, I'm not sure if I need any of that but I'm about done waiting. Can someone help me put together a system that will last me a while?

Also just a big general thank-you to everyone in this thread for helping each other out with this stuff :)

What country are you in?:
USA
What are you using the system for?:
Gaming, some streaming, UE development, VFX work. This is my first real high-end computer and also my mid-life crisis machine, I need about as solid of a PC as I can get it for the next year or two
What's your budget?:
totally flexible depending on needs, but I guess I'd start to get antsy above 2200
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?:
Unreal Engine, Maya, related tech
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?:
Current monitor is 1080p/144hz, will upgrade eventually but not a priority right now. I guess I'm shooting for 60fps with high settings on Call of Duty or something like that.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 15, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

D1Sergo posted:

building a PC

I took a stab at making something from other recommendations I've seen here. Is there a good case that fits with this? Do I need a 750W power supply or does 650 work? According to PPP I'm sitting at 500W so far. Should I go for a beefier CPU?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($145.96 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($700.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1596.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-15 00:41 EDT-0400

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Someone online had a build similar to the one above that I slapped together: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VxRkcf

In particular, I'm curious about the Motherboard: I guess I'm not really sure how much power I need in a motherboard. This one looks pretty highly rated: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WKdrxr/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi, should I go for it?

I guess I mostly just need to keep an eye out for a 3080.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 16, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

D1Sergo posted:

Someone online had a build similar to the one above that I slapped together: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VxRkcf

In particular, I'm curious about the Motherboard: I guess I'm not really sure how much power I need in a motherboard. This one looks pretty highly rated: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WKdrxr/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi, should I go for it?

Is this Motherboard worth it? There's one in stock on Amazon, highly debating it.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

sean10mm posted:

For the $220 MSRP the Tomahak is really good, but I wouldn't pay scalping prices for one.

The only problem with it is that some cheaper B550 boards are exactly as good for most (but not all) people.

Hm whichever cheaper one I was looking at has now disappeared. Still debating it, but I'm not sure how powerful a mobo I need. I'm trying to find something for gaming and unreal engine/Game Design/VfX.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

sean10mm posted:

X570 is really for if you need to connect shitloads of SATA and PCIe devices simultaneously because B550 has some constraints there, but those are irrelevant if you're doing 1 graphics card + a few drives like most people.

Cool, I don't think I need slots and stuff (as long as I can stick in a 3080 + NVME SSD + HDD) so B550 might be what I'm looking for.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Some Goon posted:

Nah, it's all xinput. Either the game has poor controller support or your controller could use a spot of maintenance, and probably and the former.

to be fair to the latter, I went through 2 PS3 controllers on my PC before I realized the lovely knockoffs I was buying weren't going to cut it.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

What do y'all think of this motherboard? https://www.newegg.com/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus/p/N82E16813119313?Item=N82E16813119313 got it bundled with a TUF 3080 gpu. I was thinking of keeping it since I wanted a B550 board anyways, but is this the one I want? Is there a better B550?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

what the hell I got banned from the Stock Drops Discord page because I was telling people there weren't any 5900x drops yesterday. I was literally online all day and not a single notification came up. I can't believe this crap I was ready to donate to the server and everything, they got me my 3080 I was so excited. this is so stupid.

edit: disappointed but im over it.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 21, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Hello thread, I finally got my 3080 and 5900x! Here's what I've got:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($549.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.66 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($759.99)
Total: $1718.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-27 19:43 EST-0500

So I need help with the following:

Motherboard: The motherboard came with a combo and it seems to suit my needs well enough, but... I kind of want something fancy. Should I spring for an x570 mobo or is that overkill for me? I don't plan on doing any OC and don't really need extra slots, but will I maybe need something a year from now?

Cooler: I'm at a loss. I don't plan on OC but something good would be nice. Something with rgb leds.

Case: Does this system work with a Meshify C? What does everyone prefer? I guess I want a dark case to go with my dark GPU

RAM: I'm going for 32gb. What's a good brand? I guess I want RGB on these too, to go with the fan. I don't know anything about RAM speeds, what's a good one to go for?

Power Supply: I want 750w, yes? What's a good brand?

Am I missing anything? How many extra fans should I get?

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 28, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Okay so for RAM, here's one that is compatible with motherboard that matches my desire for 2x16gb: 32gb Corsair 3200mhz RAM
Aesthetically, If I get the white RAM and match it to the white Meshify case, hopefully the dark TUF mobo doesn't clash too much with it (if that's a thing lol).

or there's this one here which has 3466 mhz instead of 3200mhz. Anyone know if the difference justifies the price increase?

edit: Looking at the above recommendations too. There don't seem to be any 2x16gb ram sticks at 3600mhz that are compatible with my board but I'm still looking. Thanks for the help!

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 28, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

sean10mm posted:

What? No, 2x16 DDR4 3600 CL16 from any of the major RAM makers will work.

I was going off this website for my mobo: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Ah, cool, I'll take a look at those thank you.

edit: Leaning strongly towards this guy: here. Or this corsair here? Wait, the first one seems more expensive for some reason. edit: OH the CAS latency okay lemme see....

edit 2: Ok THIS GUY is CL16 DDR4 3600 2x16gb G. Skill and it looks good to me. Imma buy it.

Edit again: This power supply looks like what I need: 750w Corsair

however, if I'm going with the Fractal case then I might as well match it to the Fractal power supply, I guess? Probably go with this: 760w Ion+

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 28, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Your case choice fits a 240 radiator up top and this does give you 2 rgb fans and a hub that will run all your fans off water temps.

edit: number of fans: 3 in the front, 2 from the aio out, and 1 in the back. Some people say to just run 2 in the front but on low speeds I think 3 provides more air.

Hmm I still need some help with Cooling: Is water cooling something I should be seriously considering? And does anyone have any suggestions for exact Fan configurations for the Meshify C? I don't necessarily need RGB anymore, I think the MOBO lights + RAM might be enough for my needs (I'm thinking blue or orange mood lighting instead of rainbow vomit). If I were to put 3 fans in front, which ones should I get?

I don't mean to be stuck on the Meshify C but it seems like its the one that I want aesthetically, especially since apparently I can replace the front mesh panel with a Blue one I like. I don't really see any higher end ones that I like the look of but I'm open to ideas.

edit: Okay say I take this recommendation: What's the configuration exactly? Sorry to sound like a noob but: This guy goes on the top, 3 fans go in the front, and 1 fan goes in the back? What should I use for the fans in front and back?

edit again: Based on the internet it sounds like I want 3x120mms in the front, 2x120s up top (the one with the radiator if I'm going that route), and a 120mm in back. I'm looking for Noctua or Arctic fans now.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 28, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Sorry for the spam but one more question: Do I need a cooler like This in addition to liquid cooling or is it one or the other?

Actually I don't think I'm comfortable with possible leaks, if I forgo liquid cooling then should I still get fans up top?

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 28, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

spunkshui posted:

I went with the water cooler because you mentioned you wanted ram that has RGB which you won’t be able to see unless you go with a water cooler.

That's good to know thank you. I think I'll go with the Dark Rock cooler, I'll keep my RGB ram but I won't expect too much, hopefully I can get a good glow out of it without making it look weird. I'll keep an open mind on liquid-cooling if I feel like experimenting with it later.

Okay, 3x120mm intake fans up front, 1x120 fan up top, 1x120 fan in back? Alright, here comes the final list~

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Edit: actually wait you really have to be careful that any glowing ram wont interfere with a big air cooler. We should check that.

Good call, I found some notes online that it DOES fit but with like 2mm clearance.

edit: I don't see a better RAM that I like. QA on the store page says that the Tridentz RAM should work, so I'm going to go with it and hope for the best.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 28, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Here she is, special thanks to spunkshui and sean10mm for working with me on this. Looking at fans, I decided that excessive RGB wasn't worth the price, I'll experiment with new fans later once I get the aesthetics worked out, so I went with 3x120 for the front + 2x120 stock fans for the top and back.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($549.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.66 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($759.99)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC BioniX P120 67.56 CFM 120 mm Fan ($16.54 @ Amazon)
Total: $2236.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-27 23:51 EST-0500

If I didn't miss anything then I'm going to hit the big red button.

(switched out the Tridentz RGB for Tridentz Neo, apparently the Neo is built specifically for AMD Ryzen or something like that)

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 28, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

spunkshui posted:

SilverStone Technology Silverstone 8-Port PWM Fan Hub/Splitter for 4-Pin & 3-Pin Fans in Black SST-CPF04-USA (Newest Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3HP8S5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_0EDWFbGRZ6MZN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Your mobo only has 3 dedicated case fan power headers.

Something like this makes life easy because you wire the fans all into it and then plug it into the mobo.

Sweet, yes this sounds helpful.

HAHA, THE DEED IS DONE! After pestering you guys on and off for literally over a YEAR I have finally ordered every part for my PC! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 28, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Hey looks cool, thanks for the info we'll see how mine goes over time if I make tweaks to it.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

where the hell did you manage to snag a 5900x? lol

I did the "watch stock notifications like a hawk" dance and got an order in the very second some stock appeared on Black Friday.

Specifically I did twitter notifications for the StockDrops twitter: every time ANY drop of 5000's CPUs or 3000's GPU occurred, I would flip to the 5900x page on my phone and check the stock of 5900x. I did this for a week until I finally got lucky with a large drop that lasted about 5 minutes, and it's good that I checked for every drop because they did not catch the 5900x drop for some reason, I caught it when there was a 5800x notification.

The exact moment when you refresh a page and the stock is available and you have to purchase it instantly is very surreal.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

oh boy I love waiting while my PSU, literally the last piece I need, sits in an OnTrac warehouse for a week, then gets delayed at the last minute to be delivered "tomorrow"! This is fun and definitely not agony inducing!

edit: At least I don't have to worry about the GPU/CPU getting stolen in the mail (my precioussssss)

edit2: Oh god it changed to today it's out for delivery oh god this is happening oh god oh god aaaaaaaaaaaa

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I just want to remind everyone that if you have a 144hz monitor, you probably won't be able to utilize the enhanced refresh rate with an HDMI cable.

I've had a 144 monitor for a long time and was certain I set it up correctly but nope. Gotta grab a Display Port cable and monkey around with some settings.

actually good to know, thanks!

edit: ah my cable is the good one (by accident). still good to know.