Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
So I've got my first build that I'm wanting to put together near the end of the month. I think I've got it all figured except for the video card. I'm hoping for an RTX 3070, as it'll be at the cap of my budget and should set me up well for quite some time. But with the massive availability issues, I don't have a lot of faith I'll be able to get one in the next few months.

My question is, if I can't snag a 3070, what video card should I get for relatively cheap to hold me over until the 3070s are more readily obtainable? I'm hoping there's something that won't be too awful of a bottleneck for my system and will be pretty easily resellable to make my money back when it becomes possible to find a 3070.

What country are you in? U.S., near a Micro Center
What are you using the system for? Gaming, Photoshop/GIMP, some video editing. Might stream a bit or get back into light 3D modeling or level design.
What's your budget? For the 3070, $500; for the temp card, much less.
What is your monitor resolution/refresh rate? 3440x1440, 144Hz

Here's the system.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: AOC CU34G2X/BK 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Custom: Silicon Power US70 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 3D...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

manwithoutskin posted:

In your shoes I would order perhaps the eVGA 2060 Super

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

Once you receive the card, register for the step-up program and now you are in line to receive the 3070 while still having a serviceable card in the mean time. The only money you are "out" is shipping. Much better than being out the cost of a cheaper graphics card though.

sean10mm posted:

If you really can't get a 3070, look up how to use the EVGA step-up program and buy an EVGA card for your temp card. EVGA will then let you pay the difference between that card and the 3070 to upgrade to the 3070 when it's available.

Just make sure to read the fine print, and wait for the 3070 to actually show up on the step-up list before you pull the trigger (the 3080 showed up on step-up like right at or soon after the 3080 launch.)

This isn't he monitor thread (go ask them for monitor advice :) ), but are you SURE you want a VA panel monitor?
Thanks, I didn't know about this program at all. With how fast they added the 3080/3090 to the step-up list, this could maybe work. Although it seems odd that they only added one model of each of those cards to the list. That might cause it to take longer waiting for the right 3070 to come in stock.

sean10mm: My main selling points for a monitor are, (mostly) in this order: resolution, refresh rate, response time, ultrawide, contrast, color. It's tough to hit those first few at the level I want (1440/100+Hz) for a <$500 price tag ($450 at Micro Center), save for a select few VA monitors. I know they have their weaknesses (mainly color and response time, right?), but this one should have 1ms MPRT at least. Don't quite know how the colors and contrast hold up. Do you have other suggestions around that price range that can hit 1440 and 100+Hz? Preferably in ultrawide?