Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hi all!
It's been about 10 years since I've built a computer from scratch. So I'll be reusing the case, which works fine and has a fan on the top and over the motherboard, and holding on to my SSD for the time being, but everything else is going to be new. I'd really just like something that I can use for 1080p games on my monitor, to tether an Oculus Quest to to play VR games, and to do some light video/audio editing for work.

I do own a 4K TV and it'd be nice to be able to upgrade to a 4K friendly graphics card down the road when I have the money, so hopefully the motherboard/CPU can support that.

How does this look? Do I need to beef up the CPU? My budget is probably £650 maximum.

And I'm seeing all kinds of conflicting info on whether it's worth even buying PC components during the pandemic, or whether to hold out till later in the year (assuming things don't get worse). What do people in this thread think? Apologies if the above has been asked a ton of times.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (£147.54 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£34.96 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£64.83 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: *Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£60.81 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card (£275.00 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£64.99 @ Currys PC World)
Total: £648.13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thank you! I've never really considered an AMD CPU before, I've always used Intel stuff in the past. Is there anything I need to be aware of with switching over? Is that CPU likely to be a bottleneck - is it worth looking at an Intel 10 series?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rollie Fingers posted:

Ryzen 3600 only costs £150 these days. It's 6c/12t.

I've just moved over to a 3950X after 14 years with Intel and everything went swimmingly.

Currently hovering at around £159 - so that's a £40 jump - I've tried reading some comparisons of the two and it's all very confusing!

The main thing I don't really get is people saying that the 3300x might actually be better for games due to higher speeds in certain areas, but other people saying that more cores is good for the next generation of games that'll be tied to new multi-core consoles.

Also, the 3300x is out of stock everywhere and I'm not sure how willing I am to play the whole stock-chasing game. Put a pre-order in at Amazon, but no idea how long until they have stock.

Will I actually lose anything by going for the 3600? It's an extra £40, which is keeping me on the fence. I would have preferred to get the 3300x and maybe upgrade down the road, but I've got no idea what to do now - it could be a month or so before there's any sign of stock?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went for the 3600 in the end only because it's not clear when the 3300x will be in stock and I don't want my life to be consumed with the pointless anxiety of refreshing stock trackers for the next 3+ weeks, and it'll be nice to know that my CPU will probably fare better with next-gen games. Also eBay had a code for a tenner off, which softened the blow a bit of the extra spend.

edit: and one other factor which may help others in this thread - which I learned the hard way with a CPU purchase that was a couple of cores behind the video game generation at the time, is that if I ever want to upgrade, the 3600 should hold its value for longer.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 1, 2020

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks to all who gave their part picking advice a week or two ago. Everything's put together and working really nicely. Had some bad RAM that got RMA'd (as is custom with a new PC build...) but all good apart from that.

I reused my old Samsung SATA 250gb SSD, but it filled up a lot quicker than I thought. I decided to get an NVMe 500GB SSD because it seemed cool as heck, and I've just thrown it in there. Is it worth me moving my windows install over to the NVMe? Or am I right in thinking that although it's faster in theory (and cool as heck. It's so tiny!) it won't make any difference in real terms because you'd only notice it with huge files?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ok! I managed to nab a 3070 FE to replace my 5600xt, which was good up until the point where I got a 1440p monitor, at which point it felt like maybe it wouldn't withstand the next gen of games.

Assuming the likely outcome of me getting a second email saying it's been delayed because of stock etc doesn't happen and I actually recieve my new card, here's my question - I've got a 550w bronze power supply. Should I really upgrade to a 650w or can I get away with my 550w? Running a 3600 with stock fan, a sata SSD and an nvme SSD if that matters at all. Is it the kind of thing where you can try it and see, or is there scope for serious damage?

And if I do need to upgrade, what's the deal with reselling PSUs on ebay, is that cool or frowned upon? It's well within warranty (bought it this summer).

This is exciting! A little pricey but I've never had a new gen of graphics card before, or bought a console at launch. I was tempted by the AMD offerings, but I feel like the software side (good RTX, DLSS) is gonna be a lot more important this gen. We'll see I guess!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hi all,
I built a new PC over the summer, but I'm using an older Antec case that's a little beat up. It's also a full sized ATX case, and I'm on a MicroATX board. I also got a 3070FE which looks really nice, so I'm looking at a new case - smaller, matx sized - with a nice glass side panel. I'm torn between the Fractal Define Mini C - which has a sleek looking metal front - and the Fractal Meshify Mini C. Anyone with experience of either? Do I lose a whole lot by not going for the one with the mesh front? I've read that noise-wise they're both the same, but think the metal front would look tons better than the mesh. Would be glad to hear people's thoughts.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks people for their case recommendations. I'd like to get something that fits the mATX a bit more snugly. There's just so much empty room in my old tower case. But if anyone has any non-Fractal recommendations for nice looking cases (maybe with a window) that better fit the mATX and are more space efficient, I'd love to hear them.

On another note, I love building PCs but I've only built one from scratch maybe 2 or 3 times (for obvious reasons). I opened up my most recent build today and realised I'd installed the PSU the wrong way up, so it's been wafting warm air into the graphics card this whole time.

I'd also spent an hour troubleshooting why it wouldn't boot when I first switched it on, only to realise I hadn't attached a power cable into the CPU at all.

Edit: Oh, and the first time I ever opened up a PC as a kid, my dad walked in, saw a big ball of dust on the motherboard, and went and cleaned it off with his finger before I could stop him. That thing never switched on again.

Have any of you got any good horror stories from building PCs? I wanna hear some real gnarly disasters

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 5, 2020

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Found a good deal on the Meshify C Mini so I might go for that. I like the idea of having a glass panel, but they only have the dark tint in stock. If I don't have any RGB whatsoever, is this pointless? I'm not fussed about being able to see everything super clearly. I just want the case to look nice.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
That CPU is probably overkill if you're not playing games or doing tasks more CPU intensive than regular office stuff. I'd suggest getting a 3600 or even a 3300. They're both still great for games, but if you decide you wanna start playing games in a few years and those CPUs end up struggling (which even then they might not!) you should be able to swap in a 5600x with that same motherboard.

Plus, you won't have to go the bundle route and will have a bit more flexibility with what to buy this time around.

Edit: having built a Ryzen PC recently for a combination of work from home stuff and games, I'd also recommend swapping out the stock cooler for something better. Even the Cooler Master 212, which is super cheap, will be MUCH quieter than the fan that comes bundled with the Ryzen processors. It made working from home much more comfortable.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

a Loving Dog posted:

you mean the Wraith or whatever it is? I was planning on using that for awhile until the noctua i want comes back in stock, but i guess it really doesnt matter if i dont have a GPU unless i want to take this 1050ti out of my current desktop...not sure yet

Unless something's changed between the 3xxx and the 5xxx, the wraith cooler is like, laughably loud. It was so loud that I ended up changing the fan curve on the bios and probably throttled my CPU accidentally. When the fan properly kicks into gear, it sounds like an OG PS4.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Ok, I've sworn to myself my entire life I'd never go down this route - but I've got a really nice dark tempered glass case, and it's pushing me to go against everything I hold dear and consider some internal lighting. I don't want to go crazy on the tackiness - but a nice light strip to illuminate the case behind the dark glass might just be the ticket. Anyone got any recommendations? I'm not convinced this motherboard has any RBG headers, so I'm guessing it'll have to be molex?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

AOTKPTW posted:

Gearing up for Cyberpunks release and I'm thinking about upgrading my build on the CPU side. I'm currently running:

i5 6500
16GB RAM
1060 6GB

Going by the Cyberpunk system requirements (I know we don't have any real-world benchmarks yet) I think I'm going to be bottlenecked by my CPU (4 core/4 thread). I'm happy continuing with the 1060 as I'm only running a 1080p 60Hz monitor.

I'd like to upgrade to the Ryzen 3600, obviously I'll need a new mobo for this, I'll likely get a B550 so that I have further upgrade options down the line. My hesitation lies around installing the new CPU/Motherboard - hardware-wise I'm comfortable, but in terms of my Windows 10 install etc, is there anything I need to consider or is it simply a case of dropping the new hardware in? Would a fresh install of Windows be prudent/necessary? Any other considerations?

You should be fine! Windows seems pretty good at knowing when you've swapped hardware. When you swap motherboards, Windows will see it as a whole new machine, so you might unexpectedly find that your copy of windows is no longer activate it. You can re-activate by going into the account settings, where there's an option to let Windows know you're using new hardware so it can transfer the license over.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've heard some of the B450 boards can only be flashed once you're up and running - so if you end up getting one of the new Ryzens, just make sure you do all your updates before you chuck the old processor, if you get one of those boards. There'll probably be some marginal stuff you only get with the B550s - it's possible AMD's set bonus (+5 or so to FPS) you get when you have both a 5xxx processor and one of their new graphics cards will only work with the newer boards. But someone else in the thread will probably have a firmer understanding.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Gunder posted:

When cleaning thermal paste from the surface of a CPU, what’s the best way? Given that this is an AMD chip, with pins on the back, is it safer to clean it in the socket?

Leave it in the socket. I bought an aftermarket cooler for the first time ever a couple weeks ago, and didn't realise it was better to leave it in the socket, and just made a huge mess by taking it out. You'll get thermal paste on your hands, it'll get near the pins, and might even get in the socket. I ended up having to spend ages painstakingly cleaning between the CPU pins.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

I'm going to get a new case (Gamemax F15M) soon, and will be transplanting my current setup into it - briefly:

MSI Tomahawk Max B450 board
Corsair 3000 DDR4 RAM (can't remember exact model, doesn't matter)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo CPU cooler
MSI Gaming Trio RTX 3070
EVGA 550w G3 PSU

I'm really happy with this setup as a whole, except for the current performance of the Arctic cooler. My 3600 idles at 47c and Prime95 will push it up into the mid 80s, in a room with an ambient temperature of maybe 10c at the moment. This seems to be in-line with the performance of the stock cooler. The fans run at 1200-1300 rpm at all times to maintain that idle temp, obviously spinning up a lot more under load or when the 3600 has one of its random power surges. The CPU fan is easily the loudest thing in the case, and the random revs really get on my nerves.

It's bugged me since it was first installed, but my friend did that set up for me and getting the drat thing attached was a PITA, so I've never gotten round to doing anything about it, but I figured I'd take the opportunity while the mobo's out of the case to explore my options.

Is it possible it was installed incorrectly? Perhaps with not enough thermal paste, or perhaps it hasn't been sufficiently screwed down? My current case has pretty reasonable ventilation and my 3070 idles between 30-35c, so it seems unlikely that the problem is in the overall air flow. I've been thinking about getting an AIO instead - probably the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm or a similarly priced 240mm. I'm hoping it'll be quieter overall, also easier to install, and will leave space for future RAM expansions if I feel like it. Also this PC does travel from time to time and I get a bit antsy about this giant lump hanging off the side of my motherboard. Also it'll look neater overall, I think.

However, I've gotten really mixed messages on the desirability of AIOs over decent (or even half decent) air cooling solutions from what I've read, at least unless they're 360mm beasts.

So, to summarise, I think my current options are:

1) Take the current cooler off, buy decent thermal paste and re-apply, try to ensure it's mounted properly if it isn't already, and see if that's any better
2) look into getting an AIO, which will hopefully be cooler but more importantly quieter. Possibly Arctic Liquid Freezer II, or maybe a Cooler Master or even a Gamemax (they seem to be a pretty decent brand so far, the case I'm getting has gotten rave reviews for a budget case)
3) Buy a different air cooler and hope I have better luck next time
4) Do nothing. Transfer everything as is and hope that the two 200mm fans on the new case will help the situation overall.

Any thoughts? Overall I value quietness over super low temps, but I do also think I should be doing a lot better than 47c idle on a 3600.

EDIT apologies if this would be better put in the water cooling thread

Having just gone through this journey myself - I got a v similar aftermarket cooler - the Coolermaster 212 - and it's really quiet, and the CPU has yet to go past 73c when doing high intensity stuff, idling at about 30c. So it does sound like something is up with your cooler. Is it screwed in tight enough? When I installed my aftermarket cooler, I couldn't get the PC to POST for like 2 weeks - after replacing the motherboard, the PSU, and going through everything I could think of, a friendly local computer nerd took a look at it and told me that I'd both used too much thermal paste, and the cooler wasn't screwed in nearly tight enough and wasn't mounted quite properly. You really wanna screw it in tight, even though it feels kind of nerve wracking to do so.
There's also some weird quirk with the design of the 3600 where when you apply your thermal paste, doing it in a small line down the middle is most efficient for some reason?

edit: On the watercooling stuff, there's some evidence out there that it's not actually always as efficient as air cooling, but it's important to remember that water cooling is rad as gently caress and AOI coolers can look incredibly cool.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

sean10mm posted:

The amount of paste you use makes almost zero difference actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

My pc literally wouldn't post at all because I'd used way too much thermal paste when I'd tried to affix the cooler. The dude who fixed my PC builds them for a living and all he'd done was clean up the CPU and reapply a sensible amount. Apparently it was enough to create a barrier. Unless the cooler just wasn't screwed in tight enough? I'm not saying I'm not an idiot, but also that dude brought my PC back to life and I trust him on this.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

chippocrates posted:

I built a PC about 4 years ago and went relatively cheap on the GPU end so I'm looking to upgrade in the next few months (not immediately given scarcity). I used a Corsair PSU when I built the PC. PC part picker indicates that a decent GPU will push me close to the wattage of my current PSU, so I'll upgrade that at the same time. If I buy another Corsair PSU will I be able to just unplug the cables at the PSU end and plug them into a new PSU, or will I have to cut all my zip-ties?

I'd really play it super safe with anything involving the PSU. Cut the zip ties! It's part of the whole ritual.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sab669 posted:

On one hand, I get it - brand loyalty can be silly. But also this laptop I bought in 2014 poo poo the bed in 2016 after two arduous years of never physically moving off my TV stand and only being used for a few hours per week of casual use connected to my TV for watching netflix / local media :shrug:

Like I said, I have tried half a dozen AMD/ATI computers and GPUs since my first computer in 2000 and every AMD was crap and every ATI was full of driver issues. Obviously a computer isn't as serious of a purchase as a car, but like if I bought 4 Fords and every Ford exhibited problems/outright died, why would I ever buy a Ford again?

Have you ever had a job where there was a change in management that resulted in a weaker showing compared to the competition? Or literally one of hundreds of any other factors that meant the company didn't do as well as whatever it was doing? Or maybe even the place you were working for decided to spend some time on research or internal systems, and the output the public saw wasn't as strong for a while? Because I've definitely witnessed all of the above! It's all a normal part of the working world and these things fluctuate. I don't think its the same team making the Ryzen that was making whatever part you hated in the year 2000. Edit: the above is also probably why Intel is weaker right now. They're probably in a big R&D phase and aren't ready to release some great big showstopper.

Yes, there can be cultures endemic to certain companies that sometimes warrants a boycott or whatever. I don't think a dodgy bit of PC hardware 20 (or even 6) years ago really belongs in that bracket.

Also, laptops can be finicky and die because there's a lot of hardware packed into a 'lil slab. It probably wasn't the CPU, but some aspect of the laptop's construction.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

change my name posted:

I was team Intel forever until I actually built this PC (my first tower, previously I was all laptops) and realized that AMD was, and has been, a way better value for a while. Well, when you could actually purchase things at MSRP...

To be honest Intel might still be better for laptops for all I know? There's so much weird business stuff related to laptop manufacturing that who knows. But for desktops, I mean - AMD even comes with a cooler!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I get what you're saying, I do understand it's not that AMD makes every motherboard and every CPU/GPU in the world; they have their partners and some are better than others. Just like Nvidia, generally speaking, designs cards for EVGA or MSI or Gigabyte to produce. Same as AMD has Sapphire and whoever else. Or how Asus bought a disk from Western Digital or Seagate and stuffed it in there.

AMD doesn't make motherboards.

edit: I don't know what you mean, genuinely! If your motherboard failed, it has nothing to do with AMD. Motherboards and CPUs don't work the same way as GPU processors and 3rd party cards. I think AMD only designs the socket for a motherboard, but the rest is up to the manufacturer. This is different to GPUs, where Nvidia/AMD create a reference card.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 4, 2020

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Installing the cooler might require you to have access behind the cpu to install the backplate.

Even then, most cases have a lurid little peephole at the back that lets you get your grubby fingers at the backplate without taking the mobo out.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It was crazy how much putting an SSD in changed things when it came to basic computing, and its kind of wild to think that only now is this something that games consoles are incorporating. I hope this means games going forward are finally going to make better use of SSDs - I'm sure the things we're hearing about load times being non-existant on PS5 should be technically possible on a PC, right?

I think the only "I didn't expect how much this would change things" upgrade for me has been going to a 144hz monitor. Even moving the mouse feels amazing.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Farecoal posted:

I just checked and my RAM is running in single channel mode. My motherboard (B450M Pro) has 4 RAM slots, A1, A2, B1, and B2. I put my two DIMMs into slots A1 and A2; should it be A1 and B1 instead?

Yes! The motherboard reads A as one channel, and B as another channel.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Wowporn posted:

I was confused why PSUs got so loving expensive since the last time I built a pc and realized it was cause everyone buys modular these days and they're like straight up twice the price of a comparable non modular unit. I am good with splitting the difference and going semi modular I guess

But half the fun is finding somewhere crafty to shove all the cables you're not using in your non-modular PSU so the case looks all nice and clean!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Are there any good mATX boards with nice aesthetics, io sheilds, etc, that don't also have a load of branding making me look like I belong to some kind of game-focused paramilitary group?

I'm running a Zen 2 CPU.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm tech illiterate, how important is 4/6/8 GB for graphics cards?

I was looking at a review of one budget graphics card and he says there's no point in spending money on a 4GB card in 2020 because it will be obsolete in no time so just spend a little more.

Is this a good deal? $250 for this 1660 Super 6GB
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q64VSJ7/

I can't find anything much cheaper. Even RX 580 is going for over $200 and that's old as dirt.

It will depend what you're trying to run - and most importantly - at what resolution.
Lets assume you're wanting to play new or upcoming games.
The big thing GPU's use their memory for is holding on to textures. Higher resolutions prefer higher quality textures, broadly speaking. So I had a really excellent GPU which had 6GB memory (a Radeon 5600XT). That ran everything at full speed with my 1080p monitor. But as soon as I moved up to 1440p, 6GB wasn't quite enough. I've got a 3070 now which can keep up much better.

I think if you're running at 1080p and don't see yourself ever getting a higher resolution monitor, 6GB will probably be fine for a while. It'd take quite a lot for a game to demand that much memory at that resolution. If you feel like you're likely to ever play games in 1440p or 4K, it's probably worth springing for something with 8GB+.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'd recommend springing to a 6GB card if your budget allows it. Especially as it sounds like you upgrade your PC very rarely/have little interest in upgrading regularly. It'll hang in there for longer.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

PirateBob posted:

Hm yeah I'm still going to be a little sceptic about the longevity of components that you can literally fry an egg on :thunk:

I built my first new PC in 2020 in about 10 years - and my first ever AMD CPU, and the high temps gave me the heebie jeebies too. But honestly, AMD CPUs are designed to run hot. I don't know if better cooling will mean it jumps up to the boost clock more, (someone else in this thread probably does), but yes, it'll run just fine hot. To be honest, the only reason I swapped out for an aftermarket cooler is that the stock Wraith Stealth cooler was far and away the loudest component in my PC. Even with the fan curves messed around with in the bios, it was incredibly loud. Putting in an aftermarket cooler has made it much much quieter - and there's capacity to reduce the ambient noise more if I decide to swap in the fan that came with the cooler for a noctua.

I also feel like those closed flat stock coolers with the fans on top are going to gather more dust over time (especially in a household with pets/smokers), and are way harder to blast with compressed air, so one of those big chunky radiators with the heatpipes that jut out horizontally from the motherboard just seems like it has better airflow, won't catch as much dust, and it seems like it'll be way easier to clean if it does somehow get dusty.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 12, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hutzpah posted:

I hope this is the right place to go for new build tech support. I haven't built a computer far at least 5 years and I just finished the below rig, but with a 1060 strix from forum friend Pilfered Polebearer. As far as I can tell everything is hooked up correctly; when I turn the power on the graphics card lights up, the case lights up, and both the CPU and case fans start spinning. However, there is no way to get anything to display on my monitor. I tried the gpu HDMIs as well as the case HDMIs and the display is totally blank "no input detected." Is there any efficient way to troubleshoot what might be the issue?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($177.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $491.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-08 08:34 EST-0500

Here's a mediocre picture of what I've currently got. Hopefully it sheds some light on something completely incorrect that I may have done.

Is the CPU fan on tight enough? When I installed my new CPU cooler, I couldn't get anything to display. After scratching my head for weeks, I got someone to take a look at it and it turned out my cooler was too loose. You want to wind that thing down really tight, or it won't boot. Like, it should feel like you're at risk of breaking something. But you're not!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The 3070 is going to struggle in general at 4K. The 3080 struggles to roll 60FPS in some games at 4k with settings turned up (and why bother playing at 4k if you’re turning settings down)?

Just to chime in and say I've got a 3070 and it works really well in 4k at 60 in the majority of cases. Games with RT might need those settings bumped down a little (or DLSS bumped up a bit), but it's great otherwise. Yes, you might not run everything at Ultra, but the increase in resolution is going to make everything look really really good regardless. You might need to bump your texture memory down from "ultra" to "very high" in some cases (I had to do this with Mortal Kombat 11). But otherwise, your games will look georgeous at that resolution. "Very High" presets are still, well, very high.

And honestly, for some of those graphics presets you're unlikely to notice the difference unless you're doing Digital Foundry style side by side stuff.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Probably an impossible to answer question, but humour a goon.

I've specced out a variation on a build, one Ryzen 5 3600 and another with a Ryzen 5 5600x.

Both systems are identical except for the CPU and I'd prefer to get a third party cooler for the 5600x.

I wasn't looking to build for a few months yet as the wife wants to get a few things done in the house first. I kept an eye on the pricing of the components and they're creeping up, for example the motherboard is up over £10 in the past week and the RAM increased by about £30.

The mobo is the minimum spec that takes advantage of all the USB ports on the Fractal Define 7 Compact case I want. I've chosen another RAM kit that has the same spec but a different manufacturer.

My question is: are components generally likely to increase in price over the course of the year?

It's not even that I'm dying to build (though I am), it's that my desktop machine is now dead and our laptop is a good 7 or so years old, an Ivy Bridge Toshiba machine with 4GB RAM that I threw an SSD in a few years ago.

Long story short, I'm wondering if I'd be better building sooner rather than later.

It's really hard to tell. I'd say if you can get the components you want at the proper retail price, probably go for it. I'm also in the UK, and I built my PC in the summer, when everyone was saying it was a bad time to build a PC (because of COVID). I'm really glad that I did then, because even things like nice case fans seem to be out of stock now, and however jacked up the prices were then, things are crazier now.

I think until we're well shot of the virus, all bets are off. There's every chance Brexit might make things pricier now we're post-trade agreement, too.

If you would like to build a PC, can afford to do so at current prices, and have access to stock, then do it. If you feel like you'll get value out of having access to a nice PC during lockdown, then that value will probably outweigh the outside chance of things being like £20 cheaper a year from now.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's what I'm thinking. Just wondering how to get this past the wife.

Where's the thread for that?

Edit: gently caress I love this woman, she gave me the go-ahead!

Last time I built I got everything from Scan, this time I'm going to buy from wherever has the components cheapest.

A few questions.

1. Is this RAM decent enough or are those fins likely to get in the way of:
2. This cooler? Is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition a good choice for cooling the 5600x? I'm looking for the CPU to be able to boost all cores, but the machine to be quiet (it's going into a Fractal Define 7 Compact).

Here's the final list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£301.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£133.48 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: PNY Anarchy-X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£59.86 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (£103.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£76.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £705.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-27 14:53 GMT+0000

That cooler looks good to me! I've got one of those on a 3600 and the cores seem to be boosted most of the time. It'll be way quieter than the stock cooler, though the fan isn't as silent as a Noctua.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It'll work fine, although replacing a cooler is the faffiest part of doing any upgrades by far because you've got to deal with thermal paste. You'll probably want to clean the thermal paste off your CPU from the stock cooler (don't be a huge idiot like me and take the CPU out to do this. Just leave it in the socket), wait for it to dry, reapply paste, put the new cooler in. You might find it easier to take the motherboard out entirely to do this. If you're anything like me, your hands and clothes will be covered in thermal paste by the end.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
As dumb and faux-macho pro gamer a lot of PC component naming conventions are, I think I find branding on RAM the most hilarious. G.Skill Ripjaws, Corsair Vengeance and Cruial Ballistix are the main high-end brands, and they all sound like they were named by a dude who works at a paintball range and owns a lighter with the US Marines emblem on it. It loads data from the hard drive so it can be read by a CPU. Its RAM.

I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact that the stupid branding is usually plastered all over the components themselves. I wish there were more hi-end components like Noctua, that were just a bit more - tasteful? - while still being good for games.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

At least most of it isn't visible branding once it's actually slotted in. I got Vengeance RAM for my upgrade and it's just plain black on top. Sadly not a patch visually on the blue and white HyperX sticks I've had for the last 5 years though. Noctua stuff I just can't ever get over how Brown they are.

Mine is completely visible! I can just see the word BALLISTIX in a vaguely army style font through the glass side panel of my case. Please, manufacturers. I'm in my 30's. Just give me some plain components in tasteful colours with scandinavian sounding brand names that don't actually mean anything.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I literally have no idea where to ask this since there is no general PC discussion thread, but I was wondering what web browser everyone thinks is best?

Because I'm using Vivaldi and I love it.

I've never heard of this but I'm a sucker for using a cool new browser that then has compatibility issues with all the web stuff I use for work. Haven't used Chrome in a long time, but how does this compare to firefox?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

It uses a modified Chromium engine.

What makes it stand out is how insanely customizable it is and all the features it has. It truly feels like a Web Browser from ten years in the future. Stuff like web panels, detailed history search, and UI customizer makes Firefox and Chrome seem outright archaic. It's a little intimidating starting out but after a day or two there is no going back.

And in case you are like "yeah it has features but what about extensions?" it works with virtually all Chrome extensions.

Alright, I installed it yesterday and I'm going to use it for a week. I gotta say, I really like it so far - especially for working from home. I can have all my comms tools like gchat and whatsapp in a little side panel, which is cool. Seems to chew through a lot more RAM than Firefox though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
In my experience, the kinds of games where your high esports refresh rate might make a difference (and be noticeable) will be optimized for and consistently hit144hz anyway - games like Valorant, etc. Graphically lush single player games may well hover at around 100fps, which will still feel nicer than 60, but you probably wont feel like you need to hit max framerate. So a 3070 is honestly absolutely fine. Most of the time, I only know that I'm not hitting max framerate because there's a FPS counter in-game telling me so.

To be honest, the main way that 144fps feels really nice is genuinely just in your day to day browsing. Your mouse/windows/scrolling/etc glides around the screen in a way that both makes an appreciable difference, and makes it very hard to go back to a 60hz monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Grifter posted:

I have recently become a full time work from home person. I have a work laptop and a personal desktop. Right now I only have one monitor. I want to upgrade to two, but preferably I would like it for both. Is it possible to have some sort of a setup where I can have flip a switch and have the monitors flip over from the laptop to the desktop and vice versa? I'm not even sure what the names of the equipment are to make that happen.

I guess if both monitors have enough inputs for both of your devices, then you'll be able to switch the source on each monitor when you want to swap over?