Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
IIRC even back in the 90s EU they always made a point that Boba Fett wasn't a Mandalorian, he just wore Mandalorian armor.

Which seemed like a weird distinction because nobody knew what a Mandalorian actually was at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Lester Shy posted:

IIRC even back in the 90s EU they always made a point that Boba Fett wasn't a Mandalorian, he just wore Mandalorian armor.

Which seemed like a weird distinction because nobody knew what a Mandalorian actually was at that point.

Yeah I think the first time I saw the term mandalorian was on he back of the Boba Fett Power of the Force action figure. It’s made pretty clear on it that the Mandalorians were gone and Fett just wore the armor.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Canderous Ordo was a gun for hire, but the Mandalore who served with the Exile wasn't.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Well yeah he was a gun for hire until you kill his boss and he just joins your party, and then in Kotor 2 he’s self-appointed Mandalore of some Mandalorians on some jungle compound.

If I’m not mistaken, in the unfinished release version of the game there are not enough opportunities to get influence with Mandalore to max out his dialogue trees and have him say he worked with Revan, so it just comes across as this really weird thing where it’s 100% obvious it’s the same guy and it’s not even like hiding that fact matters, yet the game insists on playing coy about it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Coohoolin posted:

Canderous Ordo was a gun for hire, but the Mandalore who served with the Exile wasn't.

That's weird, never realized they were actually two different people this whole time. The more you know.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

DrNutt posted:

That's weird, never realized they were actually two different people this whole time. The more you know.

No they're definitely the same person.

At some stage between the events of the two games, Ordo was given the mask of Mandalore The Ultimate by Revan, who looted it off the previous Mandalore.

The mask is essentially a crown, and Ordo was declared Mandalore and set about uniting the Tribes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

We'll likely never know because of the whole no removing helmets thing.

Which honestly seems pretty cool to me. Leave it ambiguous. Their race doesn't matter anymore, they're Mandalorians now.

Although the room full of dudes in power armor does give me serious Brotherhood of Steel vibes. (fallout likely inspired by boba fett though?)

Lester Shy posted:

Yeah they definitely did, and I've been kinda frustrated with them suddenly retconning that there's actually tons of mandalorians now. Feels very cheap.

A lot of this is just like in the Solo movie, we can't create anything new, we just recycle things that happened in the original trilogy but more. But, in the original trilogy those things were supposed to be unique. Not common.

The freezing every bounty in carbonite is like this. That was a one-off, but now that's just the way that bounty hunters do things. It feels super lazy. That was supposed to be a weird thing Boba did ONE TIME, not just business as usual. But now everybody who likes star wars knows Bounty Hunter = Freeze in Carbonite, that's what you do! It just feels very... empty. There should be dozens of different, better ways to transport bounties than just re-using the carbonite that was a stop-gap for Boba.

But whatever :shrug: Star Wars canon is a loving disaster now, at least the show is entertaining.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 29, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Lester Shy posted:

At the time it was widely suspected that the mandalorians were the clones in the clone wars mentioned in ANH, and Lucas refused to let anyone else touch the clone wars era because he still claimed to have the already written scripts to episodes 1-3, so Fett couldn’t be a mandalorian because Boba Fett was obviously not an interchangeable clone so....

And then the prequels happened.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Which honestly seems pretty cool to me. Leave it ambiguous. Their race doesn't matter anymore, they're Mandalorians now.

Although the room full of dudes in power armor does give me serious Brotherhood of Steel vibes. (fallout likely inspired by boba fett though?)

Yeah they definitely did, and I've been kinda frustrated with them suddenly retconning that there's actually tons of mandalorians now. Feels very cheap.

A lot of this is just like in the Solo movie, we can't create anything new, we just recycle things that happened in the original trilogy but more. But, in the original trilogy those things were supposed to be unique. Not common.

The freezing every bounty in carbonite is like this. That was a one-off, but now that's just the way that bounty hunters do things. It feels super lazy. That was supposed to be a weird thing Boba did ONE TIME, not just business as usual. But now everybody who likes star wars knows Bounty Hunter = Freeze in Carbonite, that's what you do! It just feels very... empty. There should be dozens of different, better ways to transport bounties than just re-using the carbonite that was a stop-gap for Boba.

But whatever :shrug: Star Wars canon is a loving disaster now, at least the show is entertaining.
I never thought it was rare or uncommon to freeze someone in carbonite, only that the machine Vader wanted to freeze Luke in was an industrial freezer for not living things. Which is why they tested it with a convenient other prisoner.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PureRok posted:

I'm talking about the games, too. The Old Republic is all about Mandalorians being bounty hunters.

Ah yea, in the old EU it was common. Even Boba Fett's daughter and granddaughter were Bounty Hunters.

New Canon is more about them having codes of honour and such.

EDIT: Canderous is Mandalore in KOTOR2, it's explicitly said if you talk to Kiera long enough. Plus same voice actor.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 29, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sash! posted:

I never thought it was rare or uncommon to freeze someone in carbonite, only that the machine Vader wanted to freeze Luke in was an industrial freezer for not living things. Which is why they tested it with a convenient other prisoner.

This amount of nuance isn’t conducive to the thread.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

So you're a bounty hunter who prefers to bring his targets in alive for a greater payday. You have a choice between a living, mobile person you have to feed, water and guard or you can have a statue that you bring back to life once you get where you're going. Why wouldn't you freeze your targets?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The client's just ordered them that way to make em into coffee tables. Do you really want a corpse when you could have a conversation piece?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Everyone posted:

So you're a bounty hunter who prefers to bring his targets in alive for a greater payday. You have a choice between a living, mobile person you have to feed, water and guard or you can have a statue that you bring back to life once you get where you're going. Why wouldn't you freeze your targets?

Zaphod42 posted:

There should be dozens of different, better ways to transport bounties than just re-using the carbonite that was a stop-gap for Boba.

:v: You completely missed the point. I very specifically addressed this. I'm not saying he should let the guy go free, use your imagination.

Its the future. They have artificial gravity and force fields and stuff. You can't just hit them with some stasis beam or hibernation drug or something?

The whole point of the carbonite was it was supposed to be not intended for living things.

In a vast galaxy with massive technology, there should be dozens of different solutions. IG-88 should transport soldiers in a different way than Fett, and so on. Every single person doing things the exact same way is boring and overly simplistic in a way that real life rarely is.

Add new things, don't just re-use what we've already seen in star wars over and over.

Sash! posted:

I dunno, I guess "other people are frozen in carbonite all the time, just not using this industrial machine" is possible but that feels less likely and weirdly strange compared to "carbonite is typically used for non-living matter, but Vader and Fett don't really give a gently caress about Solo so they force him into something not for human beings anyways" which is pretty straightforward and also more intense and dramatic for the story??

TK-42-1 posted:

This amount of nuance isn’t conducive to the thread.

This amount of condescension without even engaging or offering anything of value isn't conducive to the thread.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 29, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Shut up nerds and watch this https://youtu.be/UNYtkne2KGU

:swoon:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

When a bounty hunter wins huge notoriety scoring a double bounty from the Hutt Cartel and the Empire by delivering that bounty in carbonite, that poo poo probably becomes fashionable branding and any bounty hunter worth his salt installs a carbonite freezer calibrated to biological beings in their ship. It's like whenever McDonald's invented the drive-through window, Burger King and Wendy's had to follow suit. It's economical because you don't have to keep consumables for the bounties and you can just stack them in the hold like planks.

Of all the things to be mad at a Star War about, maintenance and improvement of technology standards over several years seems weird.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

It's hardly tons, there was a small group.

Boba didn't freeze him Solo, Vader did. It wasn't the carbonite freezing that was a weird thing to do on Bespin, it was using that chamber to do it that was the crap shoot of it working out and not killing him

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I always thought the Carbonite thing was a one off for Solo but it happens all the time apparently.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I always assumed that Carbonite was an actual established thing since Lando was able to check if Han was alive and confirm he went into "hibernation."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Carbonite freezing was always a thing. It's why Vader wanted the Cloud City machines modified to freeze Han and keep him alive. It was a proven technology, it's just that Cloud City lacked the tech to do it until forced to do so by Vader and Boba Fett.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The line is "the facilities are crude" not "the process is experimental."

Lando explains "you're being put into carbon freeze."

Lando is able to check his vitals and confirm he survived and is in "hibernation" in a handful of seconds.

The effete translator robot is familliar enough with the process to recognize it and opine about its merits.

Really complaining about it is to me like being mad that they used the transporter again on Star Trek instead of drop pods or the shuttle or replicating a space elevator to the surface.

In a genre stuff it's USEFUL to have consistent technologies/magic spells/whatever. It lets you get on with the story instead of having to waste time on exposition explaining a new thing, and makes the world feel consistent and grounded. If you ARE going to introduce a new way of doing things, it should be in the service of the story. Yes TM could have a stasis chamber or a special IV drip but the audience for the show has almost certainly seen ESB and will recognize carbon freezing and it lets you economically tell your story and show that the protagonist is a professional hardass who freezes em and brings them in five at a time.

If something works in the real world, we tend to improve on it and keep using it. If I were a bounty hunter in the Star War world I would totally love a technology that preserves my live quarry for easy no-maintenance storage-- and does so almost indefinitely so if I get sidetracked by happenstance or a fresh contract before I can make delivery, they'll keep.

That's a lot of words about fake space opera cryonics but the complaint just smacks of trying to be the smartest guy in the room because you've mistaken consistent worldbuilding for poor storytelling.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 29, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

If something works in the real world, we tend to improve on it and keep using it. If I were a bounty hunter in the Star War world I would totally love a technology that preserves my live quarry for easy no-maintenance storage-- and does so almost indefinitely so if I get sidetracked by happenstance or a fresh contract before I can make delivery, they'll keep.

That's exactly my point though; it should be improved upon. It shouldn't be a ;) carbon copy.

Owlbear Camus posted:

That's a lot of words about fake space opera cryonics but the complaint just smacks of trying to be the smartest guy in the room because you've mistaken consistent worldbuilding for poor storytelling.

Woof. Can we chill out and just talk about star wars without the ad hominem? Why is it so bad to talk about a tv show in a talk about tv show thread??

I don't understand. Even if you disagree, why be so mad about it? Just be like 'Hey dude, I don't think so, and here's why. Check these quotes.' Without the 'omg you must be trying to be the uber nerd' stuff. That's just unnecessary.

My saying something seems cheesy to me should in no way affect your enjoyment of the show. I even went out of the way myself to point out that the show is still entertaining and so it doesn't matter!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 29, 2019

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, I guess "other people are frozen in carbonite all the time, just not using this industrial machine" is possible but that feels less likely and weirdly strange compared to "carbonite is typically used for non-living matter, but Vader and Fett don't really give a gently caress about Solo so they force him into something not for human beings anyways" which is pretty straightforward and also more intense and dramatic for the story??

it’s not just possible it’s literally the text of the movie

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

That's exactly my point though; it should be improved upon. It shouldn't be a ;) carbon copy.

The one we see in ESB is a giant pit the size of a tennis court in a fixed facility. The one in TM is half the size of a shower stall on a mobile starship and seems to work in seconds.

We don't have a reference for what a purpose-built carbon chamber for organic beings would have looked like but there's massive improvement from the one they showed ~7 years earlier in the timeline.

E: I'm actually interested to know:
Let's make TM S1E1 Zaphod Special Edition

How would you re-work the cargo hold and delivery scenes in the first episode so it didn't use a familliar-to-the-audience technology but conveyed the same information with the same pacing?

How would this improve the story and characterization in your opinion?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 29, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's almost like having a way to freeze people in a portable manner that they can be revived from is what even allows the Mando to do his mass bounty collection.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rougey posted:

No they're definitely the same person.

At some stage between the events of the two games, Ordo was given the mask of Mandalore The Ultimate by Revan, who looted it off the previous Mandalore.

The mask is essentially a crown, and Ordo was declared Mandalore and set about uniting the Tribes.

My bad, that was meant to be dry sarcasm but you know, text as a format.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Mandalorian's on the telly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hell yeah I'm watching it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh my god this baby is funny

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
I love this show so much. :allears:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i loving love you baby yoda

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

EPISODE 2: The Child
EPISODE 3: The Sin
EPISODE 4: The Soup

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Baby Yoda is so cute I want to die.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha look at this little guy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mando’s got Predator visor thermal vision.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I thought everyone did a really good job in that episode aside from the battle and the AT-ST, which seemed a little lacking in tension.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mandalorian is good for early learning Jedi master principles imo

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Love that this was basically a Star Wars version of Seven Samurai.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Bryce Dallas Howard is a really good director, the night fight with the AT-ST was so striking visually.

Also, did she put her son in there as a village kid ? One of them really stood out with blond hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A pretty classic western protect the town job but something different in a star wars setting.

I like just straight up teasing the fans "I took it off yesterday"