Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

jivjov posted:

I don't think a story set on one level of a giant city planet is the one they're using for their planet-hopping western....

Yeah, this doesn’t seem to have anything to do with 1313. This just seems to be Favreau dumping out his toy box and playing. I saw someone comment that it’s like Favreau’s big brother got all the main cast action figures and he was left with all the rando aliens to make up a story with. Then you add in neighborhood kid Filoni and they just start riffing off each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Interesting run time. Wonder if that is a side effect of Favreau not writing for tv before, or instead him plotting out the story like an actual book, hence the episode titles. So each episode ends up being as long as it needs to be. This episode had a title as well, was chapter one given a title anywhere, maybe something like “The Job”?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Some obvious and subtle things I liked about chapter 2.
  • The Mando and Kuill sat down on the Jawas level to barter with them.
  • The eventually parallel that the Mando will be turning over another “egg” for potential vivisection.
  • The loving weirdness around the Jawa egg obsession.
  • The Mando seems very open to adding more people to the crew. Will that happen? Can the ship even fit that many more people?
  • Kuill potentially being a slave in his past, and taking back some level of control and sense of self by being able to say “I have spoken”.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Mandrel posted:

isnt this just the new disney canon though? retconning classic beloved characters to Actually be huge loving losers unlike our New Awesome characters feels like a lot of new canon’s thing so far

This is Lucas overseen Clone Wars canon, before the Disney purchase. GL really liked crapping on a lot of EU stuff through the Clone Wars series back in the day.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Really looking forward to more BTS footage. I would love to know how much blue screen work is being done, because I think it's essentially *everything* beyond the immediate surroundings. I'm not sure they've done any actual on location work yet, and that's crazy.

From what I understand, they're filming everything on an industrial lot in Manhattan Beach, south of LAX.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Bryce Dallas Howard knows what a Holodeck is. That, somehow, is my only takeaway from this page.

Well her uncle is Balok...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

Also I'm impressed at Pascal's acting behind the helmet so much needing to put emotional weight entirely behind body language - I assume it's always him in the outfit? Given the use of puppets for baby Yoda and the obvious non-skimping I'd assume so whenever possible.

Initially it’s pretty much all but confirmed it wasn’t him. He wasn’t officially announced until a couple weeks into filming. All the early spy reports were also saying it was someone else doing the work at the beginning. I could see him then coming in for a lot of the studio work for the first episode, like all the interiors and ship shots.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, the “this is a RPG/Adventure game” is basically just adventure movies/serials. Citation: Every Indiana Jones movie.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Just look for pictures of Pascal from earlier this year. Probably will give you a sense of how he'll look.

M'Lady.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh well, it's neat to see them actually re-use a species and spaceship from the OT. Wasn't there a rumor that the current trilogy couldn't use Actual Tattooine, Actual Yoda Species, Actual Tie Fighters, etc because they'd have to pay Lucas?

It's all bullshit and makes absolutely no sense if you think about it for than two seconds. Disregarding all the other existing usages of all those species, droids, fighters and planets in the wide Star Wars media landscape. Disney wanted to be able to broadly put their own stamp on the series, but couldn't get beyond the trappings many times. So you get a hodge podge of "We'll mention X and Y, but using Z is pushing it, so we'll do something like Z, but call it K! Brilliant!"

It's just lazy story telling most times (Looking at JJ here). For all the crap TLJ gets, Johnson actually pushed things a bit with Cantonica and Crait. Rogue One and Solo also gave us some planetary twists. Favreau seemed like he might have been retreading OT waters, but he's been adding some tweaks to the familiar format. i.e. Ice world, rather than snow world, Mud world, rather than desert world, etc.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 25, 2019

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Merchandise =/= Toys necessarily.

Shirts, and other easily printed stuff will be coming out within the next few weeks.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Madurai posted:

IIRC, nobody other than Qui-Gon ever talked about them. It's possible it was just his crackpot theory.

They come up several times in the Clone Wars series. One of the biggest reveals, being this one:

https://www.starwars.com/databank/force-planet

I guess you could say that's still more Qui-Gon quackery, but there ya go.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

Dropping him off somewhere and leaving him seems disappointing, but can they keep carrying him around for a second season?

After the big bad is vanquished, the kid is returned to his parents, and he returns to obscurity. Seems simple and narratively clean enough.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Boru posted:

So I only read a few pages back, did we discuss why Cara insisted that nothing could damage the legs on an AT-ST, when she served on Endor and theoretically at least heard about Ewoks taking them down with sticks and stones?

Contextually she was right, as nothing they seemingly had access to could do damage them. We're to assume that the disintegration shots only work on living flesh, and the Mando's timed bombs still had to be affixed directly to a leg to do any damage, and it's still unclear if they would be enough to damage the metal used. Inside the cabin yes. Externally stuck to a leg, maybe(?)...

Bringing up the Ewoks in this situation in this situation is also a huge rear end pull. Since they magically had all manner of traps set up around the shield bunker that no one was even aware of. "Don't worry, we had all these traps ready to go! For Gorax hunting or something? Who knows!"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

If you're going D&D, she's more chaotic neutral than evil really. Meaning she's self-serving usually and goes back and forth on who she helps, but not outright evil.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Technically he said you can't put it back on again. Get ready, for a SECOND HELMET.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

McTimmy posted:

Tron Uprising keeps popping up in my youtube recommendations for some reason.

For some reason recently, the Disney XD channel keeps posting clips from the series. Why now, after like 4 years off the air, is unclear. I get the same clips sometimes showing in my feed, they seem to put up decent view numbers too. Very strange.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Filoni is co-showrunner and an executive producer on the show. So yes, while it was not initially pitched as so tied to CW/Rebels, one of the main people behind it at its inception as an actual series was the core person behind those animated shows. Which basically means I think the arc was probably in Favreau's initial pitch, but Filoni is bringing SW color to the world.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 4, 2019

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I forgot he's supposed to be in this. Was his stuff cut or is he still expected to be a future Friend of the Week?

Next episode looks like.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Interview with Brendan Wayne (John Wayne's grandson), who seems to be performing most of the actual Mandalorian work on set this season. A lot of interesting behind the scenes information, seems that Pascal was on set, but he had so much going on, he wasn't in costume all that much. Brendan seems to be the base emulation point for the in-costume performance when other people do it:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/the-mandalorian-double-brendan-wayne-interview.html

Hopefully he'll get a chance to act outside of the costume as another character at some point. He's 47, maybe he could also be the possible Mandalorian who saves the Mando back in the Clone Wars? The age would work, and it would allow him to be the in-universe inspiration for the boy he potentially inspires.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 10, 2019

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Chirrut Imwe was a G.

Yeah, actually on this note, give me Church of the Force or Guardians of the Whills in the series over a Jedi any day.

Hobo Clown posted:

Historically would there even be Jedis at this point in time?

Technically yes, functionally no probably. (Ezra [if he's still alive], Ahsoka [though left the order], Luke, Leia [kinda of]) With a few years of this series, Luke will start his academy and start taking in students. So we could theoretically bump into these Padawans to be before they get found by Luke.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 16, 2019

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwzt1itvW6Q

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 17, 2019

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

It’s the fan base actually

I'm going to push back against that. The fan base in general is fine, there are just toxic personages in there that poo poo things up for everyone else, both fans and non fans alike. Unfortunately they're becoming more and more vocal and reveling in their toxicity. Sadly you see it everywhere and in everything now.

I lived through posting about the Prequels on message boards as they were being released. And there was wide disagreement, dissatisfaction and disapproval, it was managed more or less. Now every rear end in a top hat with a camera can post whatever they want on YouTube and spread the message far and wide.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ThinkHero/status/1206990402915459072?s=20

That should about cover it. Only people left out are those who didn't like both TFA and TLJ.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah they get kind of the standard Villain Depreciation as the films go on, but in the OG film Obi Wan speaks of their skills (if not their will/intellect) with a modicum of respect.

Can’t wait for the Obi-wan series retcon that has him going against some elite Trooper squadron. Which might feasibly work if that’s his only canon interaction with them before ANH.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

So Kuill said he served the empire for three human lifetimes, but the empire literally only existed for like 25 years. It's formed at the end of Revenge of the Sith when Luke and Leia are babies and they end it when they're in their twenties or early 30s.

Cara: What? When you worked for the Empire?
Kuiil: When I was sold to the Empire, in indentured servitude.
Cara: Yet somehow, you walk free.
Kuiil: I bought my freedom through the skill of my hands and the labor of three of your human lifetimes. Do not cast doubt upon that of what I am nor whom I shall serve.

He's not saying he served the Empire for three human lifetimes. He was sold as an indentured servant from one owner to the next, the final one being the Empire. And he has been working for 200 or so years as indentured servant to finally buy his freedom.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ray Park just posted a full makeup photo captioned "Meet me on Dathomir."

His non-fakeout death fighting Obi Wan in Rebels is D-Canon so I assume he's suiting up either for Cassian or Obi series, not Mandalorian.

Personally I never liked him coming back and it was a mistake to carry that over into live action for the "hey kids it's darth maul" stinger in Solo. But I guess now that it's out there they may as well use him as a nemesis to our boy Ewan.

Could feasibly be a flashback tracing the changing of hands of the Darksaber. The other series aren’t filming yet.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

An earlier ESB draft had it as Luke's sister, who was a separate new character. Direct explanations for her were then removed from later drafts. Lucas then merged that with Leia in RotJ.

https://www.starwarz.com/starkiller/the-empire-strikes-back-first-draft-by-leigh-brackett-transcript/

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Aging could just be on a completely different curve than humans. Could be baby 50 years, kid 10, teenager 5, adult 500, middle age 200, geezer 100

Exactly. Even Earth based animals have wildly different growth patterns.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, it seemingly was, as they gave out the fobs to all of them, TO ALL OF THEM!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I was really hoping they would have used those three years to have made an animated movie to help bridge TLJ to TRoS. Would have been great for the launch of Disney+.

There's a pretty good sound alike actress in Resistance. Could have used that to set up a lot of the plot heavy lifting for her going into TRoS. i.e. Leia's been really active getting more Resistance people on board, She never fully recovered from being ejected into space, She's been trying to reach out to Ben, etc..

That way you get a lot of her plot beats established, and the repurposed footage doesn't have as much weighing on it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

According to the currently ongoing Kylo Ren comic, Ben, Luke and Lor San Tekka were traveling around the galaxy around 12-13 years post-Endor. So I doubt Luke has other students who were left behind. So In the time frame of the show, Luke is about 7-8 years away from bringing in other students.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Alphabet Squadron is a canon novel written by Alexander Freed. The book is the first in a trilogy of novels, and it was published by Del Rey on June 11, 2019. Set after Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, Alphabet Squadron focuses on a group of New Republic pilots hunting down an Imperial group called Shadow Wing, and it crosses over with the Marvel Comics miniseries Star Wars: TIE Fighter. A sequel to the novel, Shadow Fall, will be published in 2020.

Hera is in it.

The Tie Fighter comic is pretty good

I’ll throw my vote in for this as well. I’m about 2/3rds of the way through it. It’s been good. It’s one of the few canon books released so far that feels like a new, fresh cohesive story and not something that’s had to tie in to some other released piece of canon (visual) media.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yikes. I'm about 75% of the way through Alphabet Squadron and there's barely any LGBTQ presence in there. Basically a few of the characters are stated to be gay. That's pretty much it. Beyond that it's not relevant or brought up in any other plot lines.

Hera has multiple vague mentions of her "family", mainly being the Rebels crew. But at the end of the day, she's a general and her family isn't relevant to her job or the storyline. It would have been nice to see her son addressed, but it makes sense they may not have wanted to touch that much yet, especially so soon after the Rebels finale.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Not a denial...

https://twitter.com/Janina/status/1217495864228212737

Seems like fan casting hopes overload. These kind of casting announcements are also unlikely to hit this soon, more likely at Celebration if anywhere.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 15, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, bringing Genevieve O'Reilly back is also weird. I think it would be the first time they would be bringing back the younger version post-the original actor.

Which just opens all types of bleh Alden Ehrenreich as Han in the post-OT era takes.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Haha, yeah looking at that second page, it's even more bullshit. Janina really should have just said no.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Seemingly it was Palpatine in the conception. Originally it was Sido-dyas but then Lucas second guessed himself and reshot it to change the name. You can tell If you pay attention, because the movie suddenly switches to McGregors bad reshoot beard when he says the name.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm an unobservant clod so I haven't noticed "bad reshoot beard" before, anyone got any good comparison shots?

Here are the Sifo-Dyas alterations. Reshoots cover most, ADR and CGI alien mouths cover the rest:

Compare 1:38 (his real beard) to 3:00 (for some reason needing to refilm this last bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkrRR2jcUUg

1:54 (real beard) to 2:19 (new shot with his fake beard), 2:32 (another close up with the fake beard), 2:51 (back to the original footage and his real beard, you can easily jump from the initial shot of him sitting to this one and see the straight across filming continuity, i.e. the hair and clothing is in the same position, where the reshoots are different)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sADNqsJmcZg

Obi-Wan shot from the back and offscreen, so they could cover it with ADR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA7Xhfqu5P8

They get clever with this one, signal interference covers the ADR change when the line is recorded differently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0r9qaUxG98

And for funsies (:03), this is the one which was always the most blatant and hilarious to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ma_Nep1yEE

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Hazo posted:

What am I looking at here?

The chastising scene is new. Either a reshoot or a fully new addition. So Ewan is sporting his fake beard. To me, it always looked so bad.