Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phylodox posted:

Why is no one mentioning that Cara Dune’s middle name is Cynthia? Highlight of the episode.
The R2 unit with arms and legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

Also did R2 D2 with limbs freak anyone else out a little

very much a

sort of vibe, but I liked tall R2

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
w-ww WHAT ?? the universe could not just FORGET about the Jedi! how could something fall so quickly from common knowledg--

Bust Rodd posted:

Is that a reference to something or is it just a cool line?

rofl

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You genuinely cant trust any scene in Ant Man or Avengers level films because even beyond digital de-aging and makeup, most actors have had digital makeup clauses in their contracts for years VFX studios you've never heard of, under very strict NDAs have been taking out crowsfeet and forehead wrinkles for like a decade+ now.

This has mostly been for guys on a Tom Cruise and Will Smith level of fame but I wouldn't be surprised of everybody in the MCU gets a bit of it done

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It just came to mind what a good little ride the Lava Barge could be at Star Wars Land or whatever its called. Walk down a few hallways chased by stormtroopers while cast member IG-11 gets you out of some scripted close calls, then a video screen where blacksmith lady tells you to choose a sacred weapon and you pick one of 4 or so blaster rifles, then its like an on-rails arcade shooter while you go down the lava barge and IG-11 does the sacrifice at the end... And its an easter egg but if you know the secret u can make R2 go swole and be sexy arms and legs R2 and it just auto shoots the bad guys so you can explore the barge more easily.

Mandalorian does it again!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
he cut a guy in half with a door in the pilot

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlbear Camus posted:

Top 3 most Fangorious Mando kills:

(3) Quarren door bifurcation. Yes it occurs off screen but you know what happened and your mind fills in the blanks. I pictured his top half in deep shock crawling futilely away in the snow till he bled out.

(2) The droid he kills to break out of his cell. Yes it's just a robot, but it's really struggling before he dismembers and domes it and the viewer is forced to imagine what an R-rated version of the scene where the ship is fully staffed with New Republic eggheads would look like as the hydraulic fluid "blood" splashes everywhere.

(1) Stormtrooper wrist flamer. The screams are unsettling and the foley work with the sizzling flesh. Wow.

We can't even know the door was fatal, that species could work like worms and he just doubled the bounty

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donovan Trip posted:

After seeing the Mandalorian I trust any decision they are making that reads as inspired and a new take on Star Wars.

yeah, i dont have much interest in the obi wan show for that reason. gently caress off with the main cast

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arglebargle III posted:

The flamethrower guy wasn't the plot giving way to the force, it was straight up nonsense. The whole point of a flamethrower is that you don't have to walk in the door at all. The flame trooper killed himself by entering the doorway.

A stormtrooper being terrible at using their gun is pretty on-point

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm guessing it's some combination of Herzog not being able to commit to the shooting schedule required to be a main villain and being almost 2 decades older than espisoto just not being able to convey the physicality of a villain we will buy as a threat to the hero.

That said I would have preferred a softer send off to his character that wouldn't preclude future appearances.

I think they really wanted him for the trailer narration and everything else was just a bonus

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know we're supposed to chuckle at the incongruity of the actor's face against the character's reputation, but there is some powerful tension happening between the two other actors there

yeah hes just a dorky looking guy, but i hope thats his face in canon and the most badass merc in the galaxy looks like a driving instructor

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
WARNING: amazing theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYuJukgtwV8

the bike jump is such a badass cowboy move and absolutely not what I would expected a robot to do

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NecessaryEvil posted:

Ugh...it cuts out before the theme comes in in deep bass, and doesn't start until after IG's started doing his thing...and baby yoda laughs.

yeah its a terrible version, i imagine that's why it has survived

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao the billowy sleeves

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rabbit Hill posted:

So about Baby Yoda being a tangible puppet and not CGI (or mostly not CGI?)... was it an animatronic puppet, an OG-Yoda muppet-style puppet, a marionette on strings, a mix of all three?

they probably have a ton of different versions. Small puppet ones the actors can hold, maybe even operate themselves, a version on the end of a green pole for longer distance walking shots, a 2/3x larger version for hero closeups maybe

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chitoryu12 posted:

It would make sense if "May the Force be with you" is the equivalent of "God be with you" or other sentiments. They're shocked by Baby Yoda's powers not because they've never once heard of the Force, but because it's the equivalent of a weird child in a crib turning water into wine with a touch while bleeding from the hands.

then alcoholic uncle cant stop shaking the cribib

"Dd..do the hand ThiNG!!.we ALL s...WE SAW IT u little gently caress.... cmon"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They probably just have some process that can extract Force Ability from things. And its really difficult to do, but Yoda species work like universal donors. And if its alive you can use it like a replenishing IV drip that actually gives non-force havers some sort of abilities if injected long-term.

OR you can kill it and use the corpse as a 1 time supply that still works but obviously isnt as good as the living creature which can just be farmed.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a group of punk rock Mon Calamari with fish hook earrings and mesh clothing who fight with atlantean merpeople on space vespas

BBY Punk

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm 100% certain that lovely cancelled Star Wars Detours show had a rapping Vader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMVrMP8us6Q

There's a season or two of completed shows sitting in a vault somewhere and I honestly hope they're never released

ya this is one of the funnier star war things

the production story, not the actual show

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

Mando is an ultimate blank who we identify with so we may be transposing a lot onto him whereas Padme is alien and not a hero of the tale at all

I respect your all opinions and you are probably right, just putting my spin out there

a blank slate

caring for a baby blank slate

its fractal perfection

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

Nothing is more microcosmic of the SW fandom than the physics whining about one of the most stunning visual scenes in any of the nine movies (I'm assuming, I haven't seen TROS). In the theater I was in you could hear the audience breathe in when it happened, total silence besides that.

You know what's really stupid from a physics perspective? Human piloted starfighters. Lightsabers. Giant space battleships. Star Wars is marshmallow-soft sci-fi.

it is a genuinely beautiful scene. but all debate surrounding it could have been killed if they just had leia close her eyes and touch a window while looking at the ship or some horseshit like that

like, after watching that its not really crazy to wonder why an X-wing couldnt just fly into the deathstar, or why those Mon Calamari ships from R1 arent just pushing space doritos into eachother every time.

that star destroyer crash scene is the best drat scene in Rogue One, even if it kinda :psyduck:'s the rest of their military tactics

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

Directors should consider the concerns of malcontent grognards last when making movies.

except this is precisely the reason there is so much hate for that scene. rian should have considered the concerns of somebody so he didnt completely undermine every other battle in the entire franchise but he didnt. he made an ^*~art~*^ that was dumb and bad beyond a surface level "woww!! cool scene pretty lights!"

scene did look good tho

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 10, 2020

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

There isn’t “so much hate” for that scene, it’s one of the most critically acclaimed scenes in the movie.
....... And it's because the scene looks nice. Putting any thought into the scene and realising it's stupid and ruins the universe doesn't change the visuals. Which nobody is disagreeing with you about. It looks nice.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's just no logical reason some dedicated x wing pilot didn't kamikaze into the death star vent hole at light speed. Entire plots are negated and minimized to silliness and poor planning once that sort of thing can just be done. If you don't have a better reason for it happening once, then never again ever other than "oowee that would be real tricky to pull off twice" then maybe just don't pull that string

Even if it will make for a pretty scene that will garner CRITICAL ACCLAIM

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think Disney is a bog-standard corporate entity and they are going to go whole-hog into their streaming shows because That's what people like now and they're all going to be prequel stories about main-characters that everybody is sick of, or WAY too invested in emotionally to enjoy from an objective standpoint.

They will 100% misinterpret why people liked Mandalorian

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
stop talking about mediocre ships talk about the best ship in star war:

https://i.imgur.com/1lJ0OH7.mp4

calamari tugboat

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PittTheElder posted:

My eyes almost rolled out of their sockets when Mando and Cara Dune decide they can't both lay low on the same planet.

One biosphere, one outlaw, thats the rules.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its worth it though, the flexibility is insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjb-AqMD-a4&t=623s

start at like 10 minutes in to this vid detailing similar technology, watch how they shoot the scene with a mid-level quality VFX background, then for safety shoot a greenscreen pass perfectly synced to the camera movement to appear as if the green BG is a massive set, but its a little square moving to fill the camera frame. The bike is still reflecting the loving trees from the LCD screen with the green background. Brilliant. That sort of poo poo is what makes it so seamless, all the reflections are there still. The light spill really comes from the fake backgrounds

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Carl Weathers roaming the drought stricken dunes, picking up decaying carcases and berating the jawas for wasting the meat

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Calaveron posted:

People don’t understand that baby Yoda can only be as expressive as a stiff muppet face can emote. It’s cute because it doesn’t smile or frown or anything, all it can do is coo and move its ears and the rest is projection on the viewer's part. People drawing him expressively don’t get it

and its almost explicitly not cute. like the sparse hair on the head could easily have read like a naked mole rat sorta thing, the wrinkling, all the yodas have big ears and they were never "cute"

But they made the eyes these giant black circles and all of the rest becomes something else and it all works together. He doesn't have a body form either really, he's always cloaked. It's just a bundle of cute face and tiny hands messing with your ship. Really genius design work.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Madurai posted:

He just flat-out commanded that table out from under Favreau. Everybody sat there open-mouthed wondering who'd put a quarter in Dave.
lmao the look on BDH when the camera cuts back to her eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
after Rey repaired Luke's lightsaber the blade should have been wobbly and weird like Kylo's was, but blue :colbert:

symbology