Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I was happy to see the classic Star Wars aliens that the ST mostly omits in favor of flavorless new aliens. I'm also glad they made the Mandalorian competent, but not an unstoppable killing machine. He would get eaten by the space fish cows if it wasn't for space Nick Nolte. He also seemed kinda down on his luck, flying a crappy old spaceship and obviously being in need of money. Kinda reminds me of Deckard, but less of an rear end in a top hat. I wasn't very excited for the show before but I am excited now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

I agree the episode was structured like a video game, namely some MMO. Mandalorian is a low level solo player grinding easy solo missions. Then he tries to take on a more difficult mission but it's too difficult for him to do solo so he teams up with other players (space Nick Nolte and IG). There's the quest giver (Carl Weathers) and a Mandalorian guild with other players from his class where the protagonist gets his armor upgrade. It reminded me of playing Star Wars Galaxies.

Disregarding the video game analogy, the Mandalorian guild scene was weird. There's a bunch of Mandalorians hanging out in a house on a lovely backwater planet so they probably aren't very rare, yet Space Nick Nolte meets a Mandalorian for the first time, even though he lives near a bounty hunter hotspot (the compound). That is explainable, but it seems as if the show was trying to make the Mandalorians seem kinda mythological and common at the same time.

It also appears that they are really going for the idea that Mandalorians never take off their helmets (I think there were even Mandalorian children with helmets on in the guild house), yet Jango Fett and the Mandalorians in the animated series took their helmets off all the time. I personaly find the concept of Mandalorians not taking their helmets off pretty stupid and it seems they are again trying to distance themselves from the prequels and the related material, which is disappointing.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

The Mandalorian spends a day on a 50 shades of brown planet. Some ethnic types try to steal his car and he murders a bunch of them without warning, accomplishing nothing. Baby Yoda swallows a live frog. The Mandalorian goes to a cave that looks like a butthole to fight a monster that kicks his rear end. He survives and is able to leave the planet only because other people help him for no reason.

I was on board after the first episode but this one was weird.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

MrFlibble posted:

The rancher helped him because he murderized the baby bandits.

I think the previous suggestion about being warned not to park where he did and ignoring it might have helped the episode from a story stand point, but i'm still really digging this series.

That's true, I was too hasty with that conclusion.

However, the more I think about the Jawa murder, the more hosed up it appears to me. Jawas were established to be nonthreatening creatures, not unlike ewoks. They indiscriminately scavenge technology, but that's all they do. Their weapons aren't even set to kill, but only to paralyze. The Mandalorian could have fired a warning shot and the rest of the chase could have played out the same way. The Jawa murder could be somewhat acceptable if the Mandalorian learned that they are people that do not deserve to be killed just for messing with your ride and that maybe they scavenge anything they find to survive in the hostile environment, but he learns nothing. He still has only contempt for them at the end. The disintegration is even kinda played out for comedy. It's an oddly insensitive choice to include such violence, especially in an episode that heavily features a cute alien baby.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

So weird that you would pick Ewoks.

Like...vicious predators that are perfectly happy to cook and eat other sentient humanoids and who ruthlessly murder countless armoured Imperial troops.

Ewoks, like Jawas, are cute comic relief creatures. They help the heroes defeat the evil empire. They want to cook the heroes first but the heroes are empathetic enough to understand they don't need to kill the little teddy bear people to get out of the sticky situation.

Weedle posted:

Also aren't the Jawas who pick up C3PO and R2D2 on Tattooine operating some kind of droid torture chamber with like, branding and vivisection and stuff? Or am I misremembering? Seemed like a bad time.

That was at Jabba's palace and wasn't perpetrated by Jawas.

Vintersorg posted:

Who gives a gently caress about Jawas - they showed they were perfectly willing to kill too.

When? The Mandalorian killed a bunch of them and they they were running away and defending themselves in a not directly lethal manner. In any case, it is a bad form for the protagonist to pointlessly kill the mischievous but harmless desert dwarfs.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

You're only paying attention to their appearance. They're obviously and demonstrably vicious apex predators who overpower the heroes with the barest effort. At no point do the heroes have the opportunity to "kill the little teddy bear people". It's only the Ewoks' superstitious reverence for Threepio that saves them.

Along the same lines, Jawas are shown to have no compunctions about kidnapping droids, who are shown to be thinking, feeling sentient beings, to sell into slavery. If they were towering, snarling lizard people, how sympathetic would you be feeling towards them?

Luke could force choke the Ewoks, retrieve his lightsaber or something. The Ewoks with their feeble spears present no real threat to the heroes. Han even pulls out a gun and Luke tells him to put it away because they'll be alright. Luke then solves the situation in a nonviolent way when he sees it's time to do so. It's not really the Ewok's reverence to Threepio that saves them (they don't listen to him when he tells them to stop), but their fear of the supernatural - they only stop when Luke makes Threepio fly. He could have made a similar trick, for example levitating one of the Ewoks, and they would have probably scattered. They were in a much worse situation at Jabba's barge and managed to get out just fine.

I'm mainly arguing that having the hero preemptively kill harmless desert dwarfs is and tone-deaf storytelling which "dehumanizes" the Jawas and makes killing them into a punchline (they turn into a cloud of smoke, lol!). There would be no difference if they were snarling lizard people if the rest of the story played out the same. The fact that Jawas are small harmless creatures only reinforces the point.

It's odd that you point out that Jawas sell droids, thinking, sentient being to slavery, but then you have no compassion to the Jawas themselves. We didn't see any slave droids in their possession on Mandalorian. Maybe these Jawas don't kidnap droids. Even if they did, that doesn't justify their murder. The Mandalorian also doesn't even know much about Jawas so he's only killing them for screwing up his ship.

To put it simply: 1) preemptively shooting people who are loving up your car dead is bad, generally regardless of who they are, 2) having a hero of a kid friendly show kill popular harmless creatures in this situation without apparent remorse is bad, 3) it is bad because it's "problematic" (jawas=minority, mandalorian=open carry gun enthusiast) and shows a lack of taste from the showrunners.

Captain Jesus fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 16, 2019

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

I was pretty stoked when they revealed that after two non-tatooines and one ice-tatooine we are going to see actual Tatooine, but it looked kinda off. The emptiness was obviously deliberate but it reminded me of the X-Men mansion scene in Deadpool. It felt as if they couldn't afford to provide full Tatooine experience so we had to settle for some props and references. Or like as if you went to a Star Wars con that promised you Darth Vader but there's just Jake Loyd.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Sorry to poo poo on the hype parade, but the episode was pretty boring, especially for an episode that stars Clancy Brown and Richard Ayoade. Like 20 % of the episode was people wandering through empty corridors without any logic to it. They have 20 minutes till the commando arrives and somehow they spent 15 minutes wandering around without anything happening, and then all kinds of poo poo hit the fan in the last 5 minutes which somehow take forever.

With that being said, I appreciate all the references to the OT. Was very happy to see a devaronian.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

I'd be interested to hear from the posters who said this was dull. The complaints of this episode being characters wandering around empty corridors for no reason strikes me as odd. Genuinely interested here, what is your idea of a not-dull episode?

Your post strikes me as odd. You somehow can’t fathom that somebody likes different things than you?

My favorite episode was the Tree World one. That was s not-dull episode that unlike most other episodes had an actual plot and concrete stakes and wasn’t just a series of things happening for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

I don't can't fathom it. I just can't quite differentiate why this ep (e06) is just a series of things happening for no reason. Unless you are trolling?

I don't know, are you trolling?

In this ep (e06) just like in last ep (e05) Mando comes to some place looking for work. He gets a quest that has no relationship to the previous story and no significance on its own. We learn something from his past, but nothing really new (we know he's supposed to be a badass). Baby Yoda only gets to sit around and plays no part in the story. Mando fights people and then the story ends. We don't know where Mando is going and what his plan is other than to get money and try to survive somehow. The last episode introduced an interesting group of characters, but had them wander around in boring, identical spaceship corridors, which is a waste.

In comparison, episode 4 had its own little plot (villagers in a remote village protecting themselves from marauders) connected to the overarching plot - Mando looking for a place to hide after being busted. He happens to find a suitable place but has to solve a problem that comes with it. Then it turns out hiding isn't gonna be enough. There were clear stakes and it was established that baby yoda can't hide even in a remote place. The episode also further established Mando's humanity with how he related to the villagers, especially the main lady and her daughter.

So this was what I considered not a dull episode. I enjoy OT references and colorful characters, but it's not enough to carry the show for me.