Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I assume they don't want to drop the whole season at once, at least at the start of Disney+ so that people can't binge their initial offerings while under the 7 day trial and then cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Harlock posted:

I didn't really like it either. Pascal is a real expressive actor and so far this does him no favors being a stoic canvas of metal.

Overall I think most of the technical aspects worked with the visuals and the VFX, but the writing left something to be desired. The whole time I just felt.. bored? It looks like Star Wars but there was no soul behind those eyes.

Could've been some poor direction and maybe it improves later.

It depends on where they go with the Mandalorian. Given the hook in episode 1 it's quite possible they're aiming to have an arc for the MC where he starts developing relationships with people that can give Pascal something to play with

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Also didn't Sabine mostly abandon her tribe? I don't know if switching tribes is a thing for Mandalorians but that seems unlikely that she'd be a blacksmith for another tribe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I seem to remember post-chopped-in-half Darth Maul becoming the leader of the Mandalorians at some point in either CW or Rebels. Didn't we see a bunch of stuff about them then?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think you all are forgetting that our titular Mandalorian would only get half of the pay for a dead target, and then he'd have to split that half with the IG unit as well. Doing what he did makes sense from a purely self-interested perspective rather than from a noble one as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also him straight up annihilating them down to a shred of tatty cloak with that rifle was cool as heck.

Jawas are actually vampires and he just poked a hole in their cloaks which caused them to be dusted.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

He went in hot because that's what he knows. Weapons are his religion.

If I were his space lawyer I'd probably argue that a reasonable being coming across a well maintained ship landed would know it had an occupant they'd be marooning by jacking it, that marooning him on Planet Dirt Sand V or whatever was a credible mortal threat and he was justified in using lethal force to try and prevent it.

He also lives in his ship so the castle doctrine would apply.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

think about it

these motherfuckers steal your hubcaps, your engine, and your gas and trade you for a box of Popeyes chicken sandwiches that you had to fight a guy's "service dog" pitbull for and the only reason you won was you got backup from a baby that's not even yours

and they don't even help you put the drat car back together

I would watch this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's going to be a Yoda clone and it's setting up a fight between a adolescent clone Yoda and a clone emperor in Star Wars 9

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Joke Miriam posted:

I was wondering why they were keeping square metal ingots in a cylindrical container like that. It turning out it was an excuse to show an updated model of the Wilrow Hood ice cream machine is absolutely fine by me.

I wish a character would mention how Beskar can be melted to form objects many times its original volume, or something. I can accept that it's just magic Nipponese Mandalorian space metal that's folded a jillion times, but only if a character acknowledges it with some throwaway line.

Alloying it with other metals? Or plating more conventional metals with it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm just running on the assumption that they have to get some dna sample from the target and they use that to build the fobs. They only work when you get relatively close, at most a few miles from the target.

Seems reasonable to me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pez posted:

So Boba being alive is still canon? I know he was in some of the old novels but I thought they were part of the Disney purge

Boba is missing, presumed dead in canon. His armor has been recovered and is being used by someone else.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tie Fighters do not seem like an ideal VIP shuttle

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Even when the Jedi were a big thing there were at most hundreds of them in a Galaxy of trillions

Star Wars has a problem with scale. The Grand Army of the Republic consisted of just over 6.2 MILLION soldiers/fleet personnel.

This force was obstinately the only army which fought the separatists with their army in the trillions of droids, and was responsible for garrisoning entire planets consisting of billions or trillions of people.

To give you a sense of scale, the Chinese armed forces is just over 2 million soldiers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Would that make him a smoothie?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

And do you really think Lucas did better with the prequels than Disney did?

As someone who hates the prequels, yeah.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I"m pretty sure nothing in Star Wars has a warp drive, HTH

I think the Yuzzam Vong actually did, which is how they crossed the intergalactic void which has no hyperspace to utilize.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes this is the major flaw of TLJ, you've basically hit the nail on the head.

Anyone who needs "Why don't we just exclusively use suicide bombing tactics" explained to them as being a bad idea isn't as smart as they think they are.

Problem is, it doesn't even need to be a kamikaze attack. They need to use droids and computers to calculate hyperspace jumps as humans aren't able to do it accurately, so clearly a droid could have done it.

It's just a really narratively convenient and lazily written part of the movie.

Like you said, either it was a really unbelievably risky maneuver that was far more likely to fail to do anything, in which case Holdo and the rest of the command staff was a dumbass for putting all her eggs in that basket or it was very feasible to accomplish and could have been done with a droid, making her sacrifice really pointless.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

In season 2 I hope we find out more about Dune.

One thing they'll have to devote a little explanation to is if Gideon keeps coming hard with even more Remnant resources, why not drop a dime on him to the New Republic? Yeah they're drawing down and war weary but it can't hurt to try to X-Wing SWAT him even if they're a while in coming.

New Republic Ex Machina was a nice easy way to deal with the Space Station of Betrayal.

Drone strike a general of a sovereign power? Don't be preposterous! No one would do that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Seems like the safest loving place for Mando to take the child would be republic space. We know why Cara won't go there but no word on why Din won't, so far. Go to Coruscant!

Problem is, he either has to raise it to adulthood (and it's 50 years old and still a baby so good luck with that) or find its "clan" to return it by his Mandalorian code.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

If they're so slow, how do we see one run down a TIE interceptor in a stern chase over Endor?

They have a turret (above the cockpit) and a dedicated gunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's got (a lot) fewer missiles than all of the other main rebel fighters, fewer guns than the X- and B-wings, no ion cannons, and the lowest durability. It's the worst if you are doing things other than killing fighters.

It also doesn't have an astrometric Droid to take some of the attention load off the pilot for managing ship systems and plotting jumps, which makes its already complex flight controls when more burdensome