Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dawgstar posted:

It does feel like at times Filoni takes great pleasure in dismantling Traviss' vision of the Mandalorians.

Wait, as I recall it the whole "adopting orphans into the culture" was a big thing in Traviss' books too. What's the deal here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

tin can made man posted:

E: it's also surprising that the bounty hunters guild, which just by its name and onscreen procedures, exists as a legal organ of galactic law enforcement, can't/won't pay a contractor in New Republic credits. Is the NR still so new and unstable at this point that their minted currency isn't considered solvent, meaning most transactions are now done in local money? Nah, I won't take NR Creds but give me some of that squishy fish money and we're in business

Mon Calamari was a central member of the rebellion afaik, so their squishy fish money may be the de facto NR currency for the time being.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
TM finally making it to the top of the sandcrawler and then immediately getting blasted off again when he drew his own blaster was brilliant. Jawas are such assholes

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Joke Miriam posted:

In Republic Commando Super Battle Droids will gently caress you UP. Like they're not invincible, but to take one out quickly you need your whole squad to magdump into them, or otherwise switch to grenades or your anti-materiel rifle rounds. And you wind up fighting a lot of the fuckers at once.

Now I'm having painful flashbacks to the last level of act 2 and that loving endless tide of super battle droids you have to push through...

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
A counterpoint about Endor; The AT-STs there killed a poo poo-ton of ewoks after the initial ambush and until Chewie and his cohorts hijacked one to turn the tide of the battle. The movie may have played them as slightly silly in the physical portrayal, but the subtext is absolutely that these things were massacring everyone and only luck and sheer numbers kept the ewoks in the game.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Those early models look like they would be more useful in the role of fast transport over rough terrain, akin to an all-terrain motorcycle, with the mounted weapon just intended to offer suppressive fire and protection having to come entirely from use of the environment.

Is it the most practical design imaginable? Probably not, but look at the US Army's Bradley IFV for an idea of how something like this happens.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rocksicles posted:

What you saying about the Bradley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Ming-Na Wen's character will be more of the talky type.

After having watched her on Agents of Shield for six years, I had to do a double-take at this.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Cartoon Man posted:

Joking aside if they could make a tv series in that world it would own. Probably require too high a budget though.

They did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EwmjEhYvoA

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bobby Digital posted:

Your loss panels are out of order.

Now fixed:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
They might not be as amicable toward the people that actually live nearby as they are to the ones that are just passing through. To complete the comparisons, I wouldn't be surprised if most settlers lived on territory that previously belonged to the raiders, but which they were driven out of by force.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Reading all the negative comments about how nothing is happening and the plot being too slow to develop, I can't help but thing back to when season 1 of Agents of Shield aired and all the people dumping on the first dozen episodes. Sure, from a business standpoint it is a bit problematic if the early episodes of a show fail to retain interest, but in AoS' case the show was never outright bad, and only got better with each season, and those early episodes all returned to have major significance for the ongoing plot that developed.

Anyway, my own take-away from that experience was to never assume that early episodes being thing-of-the-week are an indicator of the show intending to remain that way, so as long as each episode in isolation is fun to watch, I don't mind if the show takes some time before it reveals the shape of an overarching plotline.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Owlbear Camus posted:

Death Troopers were introduced in Rogue One as the personal retinue/bodyguard of Director Krennic (if you haven't seen it basically the Empire's DARPA guy in charge of making the Death Star work).

They were better trained and equipped than stormtroopers, and reputed to be cybernetically enhanced.

Basically the Stormtroopers are the trash mobs that are only dangerous of the healer is alt-tabbed to smut wheras they are the elite mobs that get pulled with the boss fight and have to be managed.

It's kinda funny in that even Stormtroopers aren't exactly bottom of the barrel. There's the regular imperial infantry below them as well, though they probably don't get seen much outside hellhole trench battlefields like the one seen in Solo.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
You know what would be funny? If they just hired Pascal to do the voice and a bit of double work himself, and when the helmet finally comes off the face is someone completely unexpected.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean there was kind of a different context since they were all on the outside of a narrow tunnel where the floor is lava waiting in ambush. I can forgive it.

I feel like the only real gently caress up in the episode was showing Mandalorian's face head on for so long instead of angling it so IG-11's head obscures most of it.

I think the helmet removal scene was just perfect.

Mando: I can't remove my helmet for reasons! I'd rather die!

IG-11: You are dumb and your reasons don't apply to me. *Removes helmet anyway*

Mando: *Stunned by the revelation*

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

How the hell did she get a hold of a baby yoda plushy 30 years ago?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MiddleOne posted:

Well that and the obvious thing rich people have good access to that we're not allowed to mention by name which incidentally is the reason Paul Rudd and Kristen Bell both look like they haven't aged in 20 years.

Bathing in the blood of virgins?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Been reading up on doctor Aphra, and homicidally insane, unique droid prototypes that are unreproduceable after their factory/lab of origin disappeared in glorious violence seems to be a common thing in the GFFA

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Not to mention a Mandelorian in shiny armor who never takes off his helmet/armor would draw a ton of attention from anyone living nearby. Even without the tracking fob, it wouldn't take long for some chuckle gently caress on a space road trip stopping to pee and buy some slim jims to notice someone like that.

On the other hand, a regular old human woman is probably run of the mill enough to not draw a whole lot of attention unless someone is specifically looking there for her. Also factor in that Mando was pretty much the most wanted man in the galaxy at that time, and she wouldn't have been able to stay hidden very long.

They'd probably both have been fine in the end if they hadn't also trained up a band of backwater villagers to take down an AT-ST. That seems like the kind of story that is going to grow legs quickly and spread off-planet.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Soonmot posted:

Didn't we get to reenact that in saints row, or am I misremembering?

Saints Row 4 did indeed have Keith David starring as himself and did indeed include a mission where you delve into his mind to beat him up in an alley with the help of Roddy Piper, then climb to the top of a TV studio to destroy an alien broadcast device.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

I LIKE Star Wars, a lot, but I don’t feel the need to consume every or even most SW media because so much of it is EXTREMELY BAD. Like Rogue One sounded like the dumbest poo poo of all time, I skipped it, sounds like the right call. Solo sounded dumb as gently caress, so I skipped it, right call.

I don't know what it was about these two in particular that you thought was dumb, but I ended up enjoying both infinitely more than any of the sequel trilogy. Rogue One in particular turned out to be a quality Star Wars story, I think.

e: beaten to it

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

The genre doesn’t have accurate space sci fi, it has world war 2 naval battles. The movie was accurate to its genre (the genre is Star Wars). If you criticize something for not being part of its genre you can make a lot a hay i guess but what is the point. Yes the movies are all extremely dumb and “unrealistic” this is the same for the tv show too which is also unrealistic but whatever

It's possible to evoke the feel of WW2 naval battles in space without playing it as a straight naval battle with a starfield background swapped into place of the ocean surface. Every prior star wars movie that tried managed it and I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed when a movie then goes for the simplest and most thoughtless interpretation.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Objects in space take hours to freeze, for the same reason that things in a thermos take hours to change temperature, because both are encased in vacuum, which does not conduct heat. A chilly winter day would feel much colder, subjectively, than the near absolute zero of space.

The bigger issue is the lack of environmental pressure, which changes the boiling point of substances. Water turning to vapor at room temperature or lower is not something our warm, water-filled meatbags react well to.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

The expanse?

The Expanse shot their latest season mostly on location in the Vancouver area for outdoor scenes, and on physically constructed sets for the indoor ones (it was a big deal that they weren't done throwing out their sets yet when Amazon picked up season 4 after Syfy declined to continue the series). There's still plenty of greenscreen involved, but I don't think they're using the volume for it (yet).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
All the Mon Calamari and Quarren walking around in that fishing harbor has me excited that it might be our first live-action look at Dac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Regular cut-aways to Moff Gideon being informed that the superweapon project of the day has just been blown up would be ace. Just go through every stupid superweapon from the bantham era over the corse of a season.