Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Lowtax didn't fight Werner Herzog.

You can tell this because Lowtax is still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
She's in more episodes and they don't want to blow their load before the inevitable "Rescue the baby" moment which is basically 9000% likely to happen.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’d prefer a show that was not about a helmet and a gremlin. There are so many colorful characters in the Star Wars universe (or could be invented with an iota of imagination) but instead they went with a guy with the personality of a shiny doorknob and a nonverbal tickle me Elmo doll as the flagship series for their streaming network

And it blew the gently caress up, so they clearly made the right choice.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Popular = good, great point

Well that's sort of what you want a flagship show for a new service to be, which was the part being discussed. Amazingly enough popularity is important when you are specifically having a discussion about what what will sell your service. A sold, well executed basic story with high production values and a weaponized mascot is basically exactly what you want to sell your new service, not someone going "What if we made the Wire, but Star Wars? What if Jedis hosed?" and failing miserably.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ah my old nemesis, Dikk Tugarr.

I like the running gag of the flamethrower being a go-to move... that works like 30% of the time.

I love how it humanizes him, because has a flamethrower....gently caress is he going to do, not flamethrower people?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Kuill says he worked indentured servitude for the empire for 3 of Carano's lifetimes... I feel like maybe his math is a little off there

He could have started as an Old Republic slave before transitioning into an Imperial one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yes....Pascal.....

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah it's like it was just a fun ending that hit all the beats people would expect and setup what the show would be going forward, and then throws one little crazy "Hey. Hey. Why see something cool?" shot at the end to tie it in to the wider universe in a way relevant to the cartoons in general and Mandalorians in particular. loving Darksaber, really? God bless you show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Also Carl Weathers is a loving national treasure, just putting that out there.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Dude it's loving Stormtroopers, if they don't outnumber you 30 to 1 you are fine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

so this dark sabre thing is an actual artifact and not some weirdly coloured lightsabre like the purple one?

It's such a thing they were about nine seconds away from having Darth Maul use it in Solo.

e: loving Gus Fring with a lightsaber, this show is just dunking on ROS at this point.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 27, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Wait, what the hell is everyone talking about if that's not it? That's the only Darksaber I've ever heard of and it was a complete joke

It's the saber made by the first Mandalorian Jedi, who went on to become Mandalore. It was big in the cartoons.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

eke out posted:

i feel like that scene would've been cooler if we hadn't already had an event where people set up a turret and then he stole it and used it against them

.....it's literally a call-back, to show how much has changed since the first episode.

Hey, I'll give you another one for free: Every reference to IG being unable to change and always being a killer and bringing up his programming is actually about the Mandalorian and his doubts about being a caretaker rather than a killer.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Wow lol I heard there was some sort of big bombshell in this episode and then I watched it and had to google what the hell it actually was afterwards and I'm still not sure why I should give a poo poo at all.

They gave Giancarlo Esposito a lightsaber.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just trying to feel the mindset of someone who would think that it is cool or interesting/game changer that Gus Fring has a Light---- wait no hold up DARKsaber (please watch 10 years of saturday morning cartoons for context in regards to this incredibly mind blowing concept of a lightsaber made out of dark)

My latent wedgie hand is just twitching

It means they are going to go big stupid Star Wars with it. That's fun. Why do you hate fun?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

CJ posted:

Not that i entirely disagree, but there's a difference betwee nstate media suppressing a one off contained event and thousands of years of history and stories about the space wizards. Who were important enough to have a megachurch on the capitol planet.

There are religions in our world that had a few thousand years of history and temples in major world capitals that lots of folks wouldn't know the first loving thing about. I talk about temples of Isis in the Middle East and I bet you money a lot of dumb-fucks first thought is I'm talking about terrorists. Everything matters until it doesn't, and then it's gone.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

LinkesAuge posted:

I think all these comparisons fall short.
The Jedi weren't just one thing, they were celebrities/legends, a religion, space magicians, military leaders, ambassadors, philosophers etc. and all of that for thousands of years.
There isn't even an earth equivalent to that. You'd need a combination of Jesus (with real recorded "miracles"), Michael Jackson, some famous US politician etc. and not just one such person but a whole big group with a history of thousands of years. If anything the role of the Jedi is rather lowkey for the cultural impact they should have in such a world, including the force because even if you can somehow construct a scenario where the organisation of the Jedi is "forgotten/suppresed" how do you achieve that with literal space magic? Just stop for a moment and think about the impact on society if we discovered that magic is actually a thing.

Let's be honest, explaining this gap is futile. It could have worked if Jedi were handled like some underground CIA/religious cult mix, silent guardians that avoid showing their abilities in public and keep to themselves/avoid contact to outsiders (and that's probably how most imagined the Jedi to have been in the OT) but Lucas made the Jedi front and center of everything with the Prequels and the same is true for all games and the EU in general.

We are literally murdering the planet by every conceivable metric and the general response of roughly 1/3rd of adults is "Hurr if there's Global Warming why is it snowing out?". People are loving morons, so are space people.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Frankenstyle posted:

Yep. I had a couple minor nitpicks with the show, and they all revolve around the cartoon guy. I watched some of the first two seasons of Rebels but quit because it's targeted pretty hard at 11 to 13 year olds. I mean "What if a lightsaber, but dark so it's a Darksaber???" is straight up middle school creative writing class stuff, and this show is so much better than that. They need to ditch the guy who did the cartoon before he makes good on his Twitter threats of bringing in live action cartoon characters for the sake of giving himself an ego massage.

The secondary protagonist is a puppet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Frankenstyle posted:

So was half the cast of Farscape, what's your point?

Roughly 50% of Farscape can charitably be called a live action cartoon.

Stop being a killjoy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Actually nothing has wider implications because as we know from TROS nothing anyone did before that point accomplished anything of lasting meaning or value. Anakin Skywalker didn't mean anything, his life was pointless, and he brought balance to exactly jack and poo poo. He was just some rando with a sad life that died.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Because the Darksaber specifically has ties to Mandalore and it's culture and fate. It passes hands drat near a half dozen times between various factions who have ideas about what should be done with the Mandalorians. The majority of the people that use it aren't even Force sensitive. So although it's a lightsaber it doesn't particularly tie into the real issue which is of course

Stupid Jedi Bullshit.

Which is of course what people really mean when they say "I hope the show doesn't have a lightsaber in it". And it's the perfect thing to show up in a show called The Mandalorian.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Anyone who talks about "canon" in Star Wars is absolutely not worth listening to, full stop.

You just talked about canon, checkmate loser!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean thing is it turns out she was totally right to have that opinion as he quickly brought massive attention to the planet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've got the same look as everyone else on that panel, but not because I'm at a loss for words at such wondrous insight, but because that's the look I get when I zone out while my friends go off in an in depth tangent on something I don't really out much thought into. Like, sure okay Qui-Gon is the father figure. I kinda knew that when I watched the film this isn't exactly a groundbreaking insight Dave is providing.

I like when Mando goes all slasher villain on the prison barge and closes two sets of doors on Clancy Brown and still somehow doesn't kill him.

I feel like you don't actually like the Wars in the Stars very much.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Brendan. Brendan Wayne.

But yeah.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
They see a green raisin man.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Incelshok Na posted:

I'm much more on the "casual" side of the spectrum and what I'm seeing makes me concerned that it is being written for the whatever the gently caress you called it side of the spectrum. Like late-series Rebels.

The only thing I'm sure of at this point is that you absolutely are on the spectrum.

It's Star Wars, it's not worth your last half dozen posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

why are you all arguing with a self-described incel

Someone poo poo posting should take their inevitable probe for something better than Star Wars. Ain't nobody so terrible they should die on this hill.