Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It does feel like at times Filoni takes great pleasure in dismantling Traviss' vision of the Mandalorians.

I certainly take pleasure in it, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Upon a re-watch, that is some top-shelf IG droid shooting stuff.

Everything the IG did was a joy to watch. It made the scene they lifted from Kelly's Heroes--where they both turn their eyes to the gun and then blast the door open--the most enjoyable ten seconds of TV I've seen in a while.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cynicism isn't a philosophy; it is a poison that is, right now, killing you.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gun Jesus weighs in on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvGa2c3rEuE

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, tonight? I thought we weren't due for one until Friday.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

An Apple A Gay posted:

What star wars books should I check out if I liked this space cowboy show

Kenobi, though it is about a space samurai wizard as the title implies, is totally a Western.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The deepest cut.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

Why couldn't it have just been on Tatooine? Is Tatooine so sacred now that all the Disney stuff has to make up ersatz planets?

"Desert planet" seems like the default kind of planet. I mean, we've even got one in our solar system.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gonz posted:

Pal of mine whipped this up today.

I can only assume there's already a "Fist Full of Beskar" they've done somewhere, too.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I appreciate they managed to get a War Wagon reference into the space Western gunfight scene.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Westy543 posted:

Yeah that was absolutely a killer scene. I want to make that mini gun now.

The non-rotating barrels probably make it a lot easier for cosplayers.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Crusader posted:

i think half of it is they didn't want babby to leak before the premiere, but also disney has historically not always been quick to recognize when something will be really popular in advance

See: mutant toys from the original Toy Story.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

For honestly ideological/political reasons I have grown to hate The Force being a dynastic/bloodline thing and midichlorians turning the mystical into blood bugs annoys me. Luminous beings are we.

Like, maybe you have a little more natural affinity than the next being but anyone who truly commits to space zen should be able to use it.

IIRC, nobody other than Qui-Gon ever talked about them. It's possible it was just his crackpot theory.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The tracking fobs is a thing that doesn't sit well with me. Hope they never ever attempt to explain how these work.

"Chain code" is GFFA-speak for "DNA"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

The Iliad is ridiculous.

Were I Thetis, I would have simply taken Achilles OTHER leg and given him a second dip, rendering him fully invincible.

It would take like two seconds, Jesus. Why don't the writers think of this stuff?

I want to quote this every single time someone brings up lightspeed ramming again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Return of the Jedi sucked so bad, though.

Not if you fast forward past everything that isn't the space parts of Endor, though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Tuskens have always been stand-ins for movie Injuns, but they really hammered it home this time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ziro was doing his darndest Truman Capote impression--take from that what you will.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh...oh god no

Search your feelings... you know this to be true...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If every planet can have its own Ireland, it inevitably follows they must have their own Boston, too.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

That was a good episode. I was surprised they managed to make Scout Troopers on speeder bikes actually come across as loving terrifying.

At the very least, they were shown doing competent scouting work--intercepting the outgoing transmissions from the target, zeroing in on the reply, and deciding to pursue it on their own initiative. Possibly the most competent troopers we've seen since the Clone Wars.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

Edit: also this show has generated so many good phrases. This is the way, I can take you in warm or I can take you in cold, I have spoken. That's some good Star Wars poo poo right there. Hard to think of one memorable line from the new trilogy.

The one we use more than any of them around the house: "That's not how the Force works!"

TIEs have been shown to do rough-field landing on their vanes in assorted stuff before. The Moff's is some kind of upgrade with a dedicated unprepared base capability, which seems like it would come in hand, given their circumstances.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Heh, I loved the Maul cameo too and would love to see him show up in this show as well.

I liked the Maul cameo in Solo, but he doesn't have a place here.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Even when the Jedi were a big thing there were at most hundreds of them in a Galaxy of trillions

Ten thousand nominal strength, per Rebels. That's still nothing in the have-you-ever-seen-one chances.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Fixed it for me.

Counterpoint: Poe being a smug moron, then learning he was being a smug moron, and then trying to fix it is the entirety of his character arc, though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

This is the thread for Good Star Wars things, I agree. The discussion is probably better for CD.

I suspect the Star Wars thread there is carrying a much different and shittier tone.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Man, Friday can not get here fast enough.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

According to Wookiepedia, the Empire only last 19 years before the battle of Yavin to 4 years after the Battle of Yavin. Why does everyone in the Galaxy not seem to know who or what Jedi were? They were the leaders of the Clone Wars, had distinct weapons and magic powers. Does it ever explain how this common knowledge was lost in just a generation?

Way, way back in 1986, Top Gun had just come out, and a girl I went to high school with asked me "Do airplanes really land on ships like that?" She suspected the existence of aircraft carriers to be just a special effect.

So no, I think there are tons of residents of the GFFA who have no idea who or what was up with the Jedi.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

If we're gonna start listing OSHA violations in the Galaxy Far, Far Away we'd better settle in for the long haul, but my favorite is the man-sized garbage disposal in Snoke's throne room that for some reason is always on

Cultures obsessed with trivia like personal safety do not go on to found galaxy-spanning civilizations. You get either handrails or hyperdrives, not both.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Should’ve come with a little baby Yoda. It’s on sale at amazon for $40.

Cara Dune figure's arms insufficiently swole, 2/10

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Craven Morehous as the voice of Trip Zero or we riot.

E: This guy gets it.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

Wait, why would it not be Anthony Daniels?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

pik_d posted:

Can someone who knows the lore better explain to me why Jango Fett took his helmet off all the loving time if it wasn't the way.

Hiding their identities is a post-Imperial Purge thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

How do they generate shields covering the entire ship but not have shields protecting them?

Counterpoint: the X-wing series videogames were wrong, and those globes are sensors. The scene in ROTJ where the globe on Executor's bridge is blown up, and the the shields are announced as being down are correlated, but not causal.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'd also like to --once again-- put in that the characterizations of the Y-wing as slow and tough are not supported by anything on film. They're F-105s, not A-10s. The folks at West End Games set the tone for all board- and videogame depictions to follow.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

100% the force has to be with you. They are slow, and they were outdated during the clone wars.

They were the Fairey Swordfish of the Rebel Alliance, slow as gently caress but if you need a battleship hosed up, it's your guy.

If they're so slow, how do we see one run down a TIE interceptor in a stern chase over Endor?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

They have a turret (above the cockpit) and a dedicated gunner.

The gunner went away with the Clone Wars version. All the OT Y-wings are single-seaters.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Teek posted:

Yikes. I'm about 75% of the way through Alphabet Squadron and there's barely any LGBTQ presence in there. Basically a few of the characters are stated to be gay. That's pretty much it. Beyond that it's not relevant or brought up in any other plot lines.

Hera has multiple vague mentions of her "family", mainly being the Rebels crew. But at the end of the day, she's a general and her family isn't relevant to her job or the storyline. It would have been nice to see her son addressed, but it makes sense they may not have wanted to touch that much yet, especially so soon after the Rebels finale.

I would like at the very least the rationale that the kid is adopted.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Teek posted:

Not a denial...

https://twitter.com/Janina/status/1217495864228212737

Seems like fan casting hopes overload. These kind of casting announcements are also unlikely to hit this soon, more likely at Celebration if anywhere.

It's wishful thinking , but I'm willing to wish along. I'm struggling to come up with a scenario in which Our Gang has any interaction with Mon Mothma, though. Maybe if she's a hologram broadcast, or something...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

You’ve made a posting enemy today, Zoix.

Is it confirmed mon mothma is a character in season 2 or was that just fan speculation ?

It's a wishlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Slashrat posted:

They'd probably both have been fine in the end if they hadn't also trained up a band of backwater villagers to take down an AT-ST. That seems like the kind of story that is going to grow legs quickly and spread off-planet.

Chicken legs, as it were.