Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Are Jawas a spacefaring race?

Not like the threshold for that is exactly a tough one. Two guys just bolted together a working starship overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Which honestly seems pretty cool to me. Leave it ambiguous. Their race doesn't matter anymore, they're Mandalorians now.

Although the room full of dudes in power armor does give me serious Brotherhood of Steel vibes. (fallout likely inspired by boba fett though?)

Yeah they definitely did, and I've been kinda frustrated with them suddenly retconning that there's actually tons of mandalorians now. Feels very cheap.

A lot of this is just like in the Solo movie, we can't create anything new, we just recycle things that happened in the original trilogy but more. But, in the original trilogy those things were supposed to be unique. Not common.

The freezing every bounty in carbonite is like this. That was a one-off, but now that's just the way that bounty hunters do things. It feels super lazy. That was supposed to be a weird thing Boba did ONE TIME, not just business as usual. But now everybody who likes star wars knows Bounty Hunter = Freeze in Carbonite, that's what you do! It just feels very... empty. There should be dozens of different, better ways to transport bounties than just re-using the carbonite that was a stop-gap for Boba.

But whatever :shrug: Star Wars canon is a loving disaster now, at least the show is entertaining.
I never thought it was rare or uncommon to freeze someone in carbonite, only that the machine Vader wanted to freeze Luke in was an industrial freezer for not living things. Which is why they tested it with a convenient other prisoner.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

The only thing wrong with the punching helmets bit is that it doesn't hurt the puncher at all. And even that is a minor nitpick that no one really cares about its a big action trope.

Yeah. There's a reason almost no one tries to punch a football player while he's still got a helmet on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

The red light light thing goes back as far as WW2, it's preserves night vision. The military still uses it today

They're switching to a bluish light now. Turns out that red works OK, but it wrecks your ability to tell what color you're looking at on a display.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They don't need to literally explain everything ever, and this is coming from someone who watches TV and movies to figure out how everything works.

Maybe the targeting on those is rough and they would be lousy for close air support. Just because you have a gun hanging off of something doesn't mean you can shoot anything you want with it. Maybe he was just saying something with some hyperbole to it. And you don't need to have a roundtable discussion where you eat half an episode with people working every angle. Sometimes you just have to assume that they didn't talk about it when we happened to be watching or something just hasn't come up before.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PunkBoy posted:

Fake edit: Oh wait, this also has IG-88 becoming Death Star II lol

The Skynet shut down origin story was cool at the time, where he's watching the techs panic about how their murder droid is learning too fast, but wow it comes off the rails fast.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

SMDH he should have shown the second which actually takes place there and shows how in concert with the Soviets they kept Are Troops in tiger cages for a decade after the war war over.

We had a series of veterans come to talk about their war and the Vietnam vet was basically a one man live show of Rambo 2 but with more calling Jane Fonda a traitor.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

100 percent of articles about plot holes do not describe a plot hole

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Courtship is the one where there are rancor-riding force-witches.

Crystal Star is the one with space-succubi, space-centaurs, and space-werewolves.

Sorry. "Wyrwulves."

Crystal Star is just lovely, in a not fun kind of way. There's nothing weirdly bad or interesting going on, just incredibly tired ideas written astonishingly badly even for mid-90's mass-produced genre fiction.

It's been a super long time since I read it, but isn't one of the bad guys literally a trans dimensional steak slab?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd put down serious money (if I had it and would live long enough to get the answer) that most habitable planets are going to be desert planet or ice planet in real life.

Probably not too hard to figure out how a mostly to entirely temperate planet could exist. Our "we got all the climates" could reasonably be the outlier.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tusken raider is the racist term, imposed on them by human settlers at a location called Fort Tusken.

Sand people is their name.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

My scale of flamboyance has rock hudson as the baseline, freddy mercury in the middle of the indicator, and libarace as the deep red where the needle shakes and the detector starts emitting a hum.

Does the detector explode like the Grinch heart measuring device when pointed at Johnny Weir?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A man crying about a baby and a chicken? I thought this was a comedy show?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mike N Eich posted:

So are we to believe the Mando Fucks, and when he Fucks he keeps the helmet on?

To paraphrase the late great Captain Murphy: "You want the helmet on or off?" "Off, please." "Too bad."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Since when have governmetns paid two people to do the job of two people?

The US Federal Government is two people doing the job of one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He doesn't need to save anything. He's walking around in a mid level zone in raid gear. Nothing can touch him.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

By that point the empire had been modernizing to Tie Interceptors and all sorts of more fancy tie variants.

Not every wing gets the new hotness, especially when your government collapses. There's billions of them laying around, like a MiG-21.

Plus, you know the design works and is cheap to build, so why not keep building them for the First Order too...like the C-130 and the projected 90 year production line.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

If Gideon has ONE Star Destroyer, he's a profound existential threat to a bunch of characters that we've been given plenty of time to grow to like or at least relate to.

He probably has one though, because of his supposed standing. Either he's a real deal remnant Moff, who would have commanded vast resources and seems to have retained some power, or he's usurped the title and that means he's got serious firepower to hold on to the claim.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

But firepower versus scale matters too.

The US has fewer than 150 strategic bombers, but six B-1Bs carry more tonnage to a target than 100 B-17s could, with a hit rate unimaginable in 1945.

I'm not going to worry too much about lightly manning garrison forces when I have orbital fire support in the megaton range.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A Yodan is:

1) small
2) green
3) lives a long time
4) Force using
5) carnivorous
6) going to eat you

What else do you want?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Boba Fett also survived giving Vader some lip which is unique.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mandrel posted:

yeah the ben mendelsohn middle management bad guy in rogue one had that spiffy white uniform and floor length cape. this dudes outfit didn’t seem too wild

There's a few guys in similar but capeless uniforms roaming around the Death Star way back in 1977 too, so it did have a history.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah it looks great but it being silent didn't make sense when the rest of star wars space warfare isn't. 5/10

The whole sound thing actually has an cannon explanation:

Your sensors'll give you an audio simulation for a rough idea of where those fighters are when they're not on your screen. It'll sound like they're right there in the turret with you.

Just pretend that scene isn't giving you the fighter pilot/gunner POV.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

Star Wars has been saying "clones did it" since forever.

poo poo, at one point, Lando (FREAKING LANDO) was supposed to be a type example of one of the different clone templates used in the Clone Wars.

If you go back far enough in the internet history, back into the Usenet days, you can find people seriously debating if Obi-Wan's name was really OB-1, a model of clone from the war, and that Ben was a specific individual clone.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Slashrat posted:

Bathing in the blood of virgins?

You ever see Parts: The Clonus Horror?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ninjahedgehog posted:

If we're gonna start listing OSHA violations in the Galaxy Far, Far Away we'd better settle in for the long haul, but my favorite is the man-sized garbage disposal in Snoke's throne room that for some reason is always on

Are you going to wait for it to spin up when you need to throw a bungler in there? Not like you're paying an electric bill.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

euphronius posted:

Well yoda says in rotj its Leia so.

Obi-Wan says it, but he's also a liar that plays fast and loose with his words.

I think both Yoda and Obi-Wan were skirting around the other hope being Anakin, and chose their words to funnel Luke to a course of action.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

For all we know, the first 49 years of a Yodan's life he's a bud on a tree.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Desperado Bones posted:

we are dumb for not liking two hours of C-SPAN in space.

I must have seen some other TPM because I remember a couple minutes of the Senate and two hours of other stuff.

Pretty sure that ANH has more screen time of Tarkin having a staff meeting and no one says anything.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You're right, you must have.

Maybe you had the sound off because 80% of the dialog was Cspan or Cspan related, then there was a pod race and one and a half sword fights.

80 percent? Seriously? There's being rightly critical and then there's just making poo poo up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ninjahedgehog posted:

And in three movies we go to not one, not two, but *four* different desert planets.

Ice planet and desert planet never bother me like other single ecosystem planets do. They're probably pretty common.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Everyone posted:

I did think it was cool that Vader is pursuing her right after that and when she does that "diplomatic mission" spiel, she's just blatantly lying her rear end off right to his helmet.

That's one of my favorite things about it too. She's basically saying "gee, officer, I'm not sure why you stopped me" after blowing throw a red going 70 in a 25.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

I agree with you, but I also get just as irked with the trench runs in ANH. Like what are those two dudes in the back of the Vic formations even doing besides waiting to die?

My impression has always been that the leader had his shields full front ("I'll worry about the tower.") and he couldn't evade as much while the targeting computer was calculating the bombing run. The rear two had their shields full aft to screen the leader from fighters coming in from behind. Plus, with their ability to maneuver, they could prevent Vader's formation from getting a clean shot at the leader.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Everyone posted:

Not for nothing but I've found that a good part of the unrealistic/Mary Sue/useless talk tends to center on characters like Holdo, Rey and Rose. And what gender are those characters? Exactly.

Or they did a lousy job making characters

No, it definitely has to be the one gives you an immediate way to attack the person and put them on the defensive rather than engage them about the idea they're expressing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

If they’re so weak that a fighter can just randomly blow up important stuff with gun runs, why do capital ship fights as we see them even occur? They should be exploding as soon as they’re hit with a turbolaser.

Fighters get in under the shields and are chewing up the armor directly.

Remember when they're approaching the Death Star and Red Leader tells everyone to double up on their forward shields? They're pushing through the Death Star's anti-ship defenses at that point. After that, they're free to do whatever, with the exception that there are local weak points with their own defense systems.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

It doesn't even really need explanation because there's so many plausible ones that you can come up with on the spot. The Empire was, well, an empire. They were everywhere. Especially only a few years after their surrender at Jakku, it shouldn't be more than mildly surprising that some Weequay pirates on a backwater farming planet got one in their camp. They're only light scout vehicles, but against a village without even a single blaster they're a massive force multiplier.

Basically a jeep with an anti-tank gun strapped to it. Get anything lower and you're pretty much looking at a landspeeder technical.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I demand Decipher CCG cards

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I had Commander Luke Skywalker card from the Hoth expansion pack that I coveted like it was the loving arc of the covenant.

I kept my Executor in a lucite case.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just want Werner Herzog to voice all the things.

Like the automated voice that tells you the options when you call the bank or a recording of him making a beeping noise for the ATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

In retrospect I would have rather had an Heir to the Empire adaptation, but I guess they would have had to do it 10-15 years ago or resort to digitally smoothing luke.

I've thought about it for literally one minute so I haven't worked it all out but Thrawn takes longer to come back, C'boath is replaced with a Palpatine clone who has already corrupted Jacen, scratch out every time Wedge appears and replace him with Jaina, and Luke fights Jacen instead of Luuke. Mara Jade kills the other Emperor or something.