Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rogue One and The Mandalorian are part of the "Star Wars is A Place" (taken from The Greatest Generation) storytelling and frankly after Rise Of Skywalker it's the only way I want to see more stories from this franchise. Less space wizards, more tales of other people and happenings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gay Horney posted:

the trailer where they showed someone going YOU SPILLED MY DRINK and then the tough good guy beats up some bad guys and his friends using age old Jason Statham moves really really killed this for me fast. those sixty seconds confirmed this show is going to be unwatchable. without even seeing the rest you can immediately confirm he'll get a wacky sidekick and a moment of characterization at some point where he's asked to do something distasteful by a mysterious client. plots from the 1960s in rubber suits.

lmao wut

edit: have you ever seen a Star Wars story?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I like having both, personally.

Yeah I mean, I've been a fan of SW for 42 years, and have likes and dislikes throughout the years, but I'm hoping that episode 9 is the last of the primary story we see for a LONG time. I think regulating it to 'smaller' stories for a while would allow for some fun ideas and new blood to come in.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

D+ bonus: Original Trilogy in 4k HDR :dance:
D+ reversal of fortune: Original Trilogy is the special additions :sad:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pops Mgee posted:

Why haven't they made an action figure of Werner Herzog’s character yet?

Honestly I'm hoping Hot Toys gets the license to do the ultra-realistic 1/6 scale of him because I would be ALL OVER THAT

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dredd was such a loving good movie.

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pez posted:

edit: what the hell is his knife made out of for that insta kill

I remember something about Mandos using Vibro-blades that cause enormous amounts of damage so I'm assuming it's one of those, or maybe it has a fast-acting neurotoxin or something on it?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

teagone posted:

Oh yeah, I read that wrong. It's ~$8 per score, per episode. Which I guess isn't too bad.

No, it's bullshit and bad.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bobby Digital posted:

Now I’m imagining Vince Gilligan’s The Mandalorian and I’m not quite sure why but I love it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Mando is just Star Wars Western for Gringo.

Discuss.

That actually makes sense.

Who's going to be the Lee Van Cleef of season 2

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's sad that Les Blank is no longer around to make Werner Herzog Eats His Light Sabre.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Oh, hey, a loth cat!

I was all :neckbeard: at that moment

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Have you ever been around a tank that’s driving around? Because they aren’t very loving jolly.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

This is a space western. If you're expecting something other than "mysterious stranger with a dark past blows into town, solves the immediate problems, and then leaves because trouble's comin' after him and he doesn't want to put the townsfolk in danger" then I've got bad news for you.

I feel like a lot of people would understand this show better if they watched more spaghetti westerns (not just the big popular ones) as well as many low budget Edo jidai samurai and yakuza movies because that's pretty much exactly what this show is, just in space.

Tolstoy said it right: there are only two stories: a man goes on a journey or a stranger comes to town. The Mandolorian is both, depending on which character's point of view you are looking at.

Edit: also Helmet punching makes perfect sense because this is an action tv show and it's inconsequential to worry about such things if the fist fight moves the story along. If you want realism, none of the star wars series' are for you.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Someone correct me if I'm out of line, but I think the amount of enjoyment that someone is going to get out of this show might have some parallels to how much you enjoyed monster of the week X-files episodes vs the ongoing government conspiracy episodes.

Not necessarily: I thought X Files was ok and all but not really my thing. I'm enjoying the poo poo out of The Mandalorian though.

Edit: I’m a fan of spaghetti westerns, Edo jidai, and such shows as Ultraman so I have no problem with just liking what I like and looking past flaws. Small Star Wars is more appealing to me than big Star Wars at this point. 🤷🏻‍♂️

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 7, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Henker posted:

Anyone else feel like the Mando picking up the E-Web and blasting everyone was a reference to Django?

So I guess that cements season two as a full blown Lone Wolf And Cub show. I'm 100% down with that.

God drat it's good that he has a nemesis now. This is what I've been wanting from a Star Wars series. The next season cannot come soon enough! GODDAMNED DARKSABER!!! :woop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

So now that the first season is in the books, what are our thoughts on the decision to trickle out a new episode each week instead of dumping the whole thing? With the episodes averaging 35 mins or so, I’m ok with the weekly release. Gives us something to talk about before the next one.

I never want that to change. Dumping seasons is ok, but this definitely needs the spooning out method. It's a lot more enjoyable and makes for more fun talk.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Another thing about the Jedi is that there were 10,000 of them in a Galaxy of literally Trillions of sapient beings. I'm sure more than 2/3s of those people probably never even heard of a Jedi, and of the ones that have, at least 90% of those probably think that they were a piece of bullshit put out by the government as a propaganda piece.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Please name The Child "Daigoro", TIA.

Also looking forward to all of the grown up Child as a Mandalorian art.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CJ posted:

That would be fine if there weren't a dozen other scenes where the heroes just ducked a bit and shot their way out of similar situations.

From what i've read from posts by people who watch the childrens cartoons, the evil lightsaber is Mandalorian excalibur so he has it because he wiped out the Mandalorians.

Christ just put classic literature on your bookshelf so you can smugly tell a date that you got into your place somehow that you have a superior intellect or something and let people enjoy whatever they enjoy, charlie kirk.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

euphronius posted:

The story board or concept art in the credits each episode is by far my favorite thing ever. The art is amazing

Yeah I really hope we get an "Art Of The Mandalorian" book out of this series.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll probably rewatch S1 over the summer and then get a giant Mandalorian back piece because goddam I love this show.

COVID has something to say about that.

:( I miss tattooing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He moves to coruscsnt and starts a pizza restaurant, going into hiding by renaming himself Bob Feta

Close. Gets married, has 3 kids. Opens a restaurant across from his rival's. Boba's Burgers.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I like Star Wars.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I don't think it's a coincidence that Disney did the announcement the same day that John Boyega's interview in GQ came out. Nonetheless, I look forward to season 2!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It was better when Rey's parents were worthless drunks who sold her into slavery because not everyone important comes from some great lineage. TLJ was about how the everyman could become great through the actions of working together.

Edit: Finn, Rose, and Po were loving shafted story wise. I completely agree with John Boyega saying that filmmakers should not just throw POC into the mix to look good, but actually have a real plan on how to treat them like actual human beings instead of props.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 3, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

It feels like it was reverse engineered from nerd podcasts TBQH

I really like The Greatest Generation and it's sister 'cast The Greatest Discovery because they don't take themselves seriously but since they have backgrounds in film they also can make good commentary about Trek.

edit:

Hazo posted:

Edit: she would like me to add “any episode centering on Lee and his man-pain bullshit”

lmbo

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 22, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

The rubber skin will flake away in 5+ years and you'll be left with a weird disgusting robot. Same thing happened to some Yoda toy that moved I got years ago.

but what if I want a weird disgusting robot

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/toyark/status/1314016061713526785?s=21

:allears:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

Baby Jar Jar would un-ironically own. Each season, Mando needs to collect a new baby. Baby Chewbacca, Baby Jabba, Babby Rancor. Would be the greatest TV show ever done of all time.

A time slip happens and he collects baby Luke AND baby Leia.

edit: and Baby Darth Vader. Yes, helmeted breathing baby Darth Vader.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

why are you all arguing with a self-described incel

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

looooool

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I would pay real earth dollars to have a Dr. Aphra appearance.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That’s a weird casting decision if that news is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Discovery on Thursdays and Mando on Fridays is a good time in my book.