Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm using the Samsung TV app, everything I try the lip sync is way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This show is cool and good.

I don't expect all of the Star Wars memberberries to be as prevalent as the show goes on, but having the same species and technologies in other places makes sense and makes it feel like a real galaxy, and not like where everything gets completely redesigned every movie just for the sake of selling new toys.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Disney didn't do the Simpsons aspect ratio, Fox did about 5 years ago. I have no idea why it's a thing again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Going back to the first episode, I'm pretty sure that the bounty droid was sent by someone else. It makes sense on one level that Herzog is hedging his bets on bounty hunters, and wants to keep a high level of secrecy by not telling them about each other, but the bot's mention that the specific instructions were to kill the target didn't sit right with me. Herzog told the Mando that he wanted it alive, but understood if he brought it back dead, as a matter of being pragmatic. Those are very different instructions than what the by-the-book droid received.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mando loving Wick.

Baba Yaga, Baby Yoda. It's like poetry.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

A lot of this show is fan-service (like Herzog's door droid being the exact same thing as Jabba's, little touches like that)

This is actually good because the same technology and products being used in many places makes sense, and using a different bespoke version of everything for every town you go to is silly and would make even Barbie embarrassed, but this is George Lucas we're talking about and his merchandizing knows no shame.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nucular Carmul posted:

Can someone help me out with what I'm missing in the Mandalorian? The protagonist really seems like he's just a protagonist doing protagonist things because he's a protagonist. It doesn't help that the few lines he gets are absolutely cookie cutter generic nonsense. Steps out of cover briefly to see the Schwarzenegger Special being rolled out, says "Okay..." because that's what people in media say when a situation gets more complicated unexpectedly. Guy uses a jetpack to go the same speed as a space craft looking to break atmosphere and go into orbit for a dumb salute so he can be the 23556th character to say "I gotta get me one of those." even though he never talks like that anywhere else. Also why is that jetpack guy wasting fuel to do a dumb salute? I got the impression Mandalorians are supposed to be tightly focused and don't do unnecessary poo poo and are just in general a very lawful sort of group. So why'd they go shoot up a whole rear end town and blow their cover? "ThiS iS tHe WaY" is not a loving explanation in any way. How'd they know it was their guy in a scrap? Why would they save him when he clearly got into a situation of his own making by betraying his employers and a whole rear end town? The whole premise of the protagonist saving the magic baby is shaky enough on its own, why is "the Empire did bad poo poo to us" justification for declaring war on some random backwater? Now they have to move and hide somewhere else because this dumbass got paid then regretted the job?

And don't get me started on the loving Jawas. We just out here reaming everything we know about them in the rear end because we have to have a scene to reveal that the magic baby is magic. We're really expected to believe the shrewd scavenger race who socially evolved to trade and loot since they're not great warriors are seriously going to give up a whole ship of salvage for an egg. That they're going to eat. Immediately. They really couldn't figure out how to gently caress up his ship then get him off the planet, the entire sequence feels like a major rear end pull from start to finish.

The whole show reeks of a very slimy corporate sheen. Hey you fuckin' nerds went bananas over Boba Fett right? Here's a whole show about those dudes, and we'll give you stormtroopers in the old uniforms, and it starts in a cantina with all the cool aliens! And there's jawas again, and hey here's a baby yoda thing, haven't you nerds always wondered about what species he is? We're gonna get into that, maybe! The writing is awful, every plot point is so transparent, I honestly wish it were animated because I literally watched three episodes of a Saturday morning cartoon. The protagonist is worse than a shonen anime hero. I feel like Roddy Piper in They Live. What are you guys seeing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMm0DLg8CE&t=55s

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I thought it was just hilariously anticlimactic how they give Mando this incredibly difficult quest only to take the egg and chow down on it.

This was exactly the point. Please have fun and enjoy this fun show.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What gives midichlorians the force? Do they have their own midichlorians?

Maybe if you want to get scientific for no reason, midichlorians could be a cell structure or organelle that gives you force sensitivity, but its really silly to create a microscopic society of force users that imbue their host with the force.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Was that a Droid AT-ST?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

edit - Ineffective doesn't mean effective, what a country!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Maybe she's from an Amazon planet.
Maybe she's got robot fists.
Maybe she's force sensitive and it enhances her punching.

Maybe she's just strong and well trained.

zoux posted:

If I was fist fighting a Mando I'd do everything in my power to take off his or her helmet and own them permanently. Go ahead and kill me, I've already won.

This is like that pork bullet thing going around email chains during the Iraq invasion.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sash! posted:

100 percent of articles about plot holes do not describe a plot hole

Seems you found a plot hole in those articles.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mando pulling Maverick's move and then saying "That's my line" before blasting that dude was loving great. Feed me more of this cheesy stuff, I will eat it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUzvX7wj0Kg

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 7, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hazo posted:

I don’t think you misinterpreted me but I just want to be totally clear: I’m saying those people are the definition of toxic, and making fun of them is not.

I actually shouted at my bewildered wife “Holy poo poo he Top Gun-ed that dude!”

As my bewildered wife responds "what are you talking about?"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

What is with people who like TLJ constantly projecting and assuming things about people who don't like it?

People only like TLJ because they're desperate trolls and also fans of the DC universe.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Legendary swords from Mandalorian ancestry are cool. Watching ten years of Saturday morning cartoons is dorky as hell.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Put it on your poorly assembled Ikea shelf display case full of children's toys collectible scale model figurines.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Big adult man over here. With a HUGE dick.

I bought my kid star wars legos for Christmas. They've been played with, crashed, smashed, and reassembled incorrectly and mixed with other sets already in only a few days. The other toys are all thrown in a bin and I threw away all of the original packaging.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

My biggest question is now that he has the Darksaber, how many of the Mandalorians owe him fealty according to their laws. IIRC the wielder is the rightful Manda'lor, but only if he seized it in honorable combat. The other factor is if the Mandalorians will accept an outsider as their ruler -- when Maul claimed it in the TV show a sizable faction refused to see him as legitimate.

He's not wearing a helmet, doesn't matter, he's an infidel.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This thread since the show ended

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There are a lot of people selling homemade Baby Yodas on Facebook marketplace.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHaJvsCZiaQ

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So at what point does this Clone Wars saturday morning cartoon show become good? I checked out the first 4 episodes and wow. Its like George Lucas in full id form. I just see his face on every one of the battle droids making bad jokes and being slapstick incompetent. It seems like they have something with the space battles, but the dialogue and voice acting are below english dubs for anime. Especially disappointed in Ahsoka considering all of the hype.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is a lot of effort to watch a children's Saturday morning cartoon show. I'll just read the wiki page on Ahsoka before season 2 of The Mandalorian starts.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

I like how they tried to make Anakin quippy in the prequels but Lucas is such an unfunny dope that it fell horribly flat.

Not to mention Sleasebaggano. Darth Icky. General Grevious.

Darth Tyranus, Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, Darth Vader. They're all a little too on the nose.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Which one of you writes for The Hard Times?

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/j-j-abrams-retcons-rian-johnsons-name-to-ryan/

quote:

“I guess I’m just happy it was J.J. who changed my name, and not George Lucas, because then it would be Directorous Johnson or something else that’s really on the nose.” 

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is canon btw

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the backstory on the dude to the left?

He has an entire EU book series, a comic book, graphic novels, manga translation, and has a toy line from Todd McFarlane and Funko Pop.

Edit - and a Lego animated series.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Honestly thought she was older than 40.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Loved Unjustified.

Santa Clarita Gluttony wasn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Comedy Olyphant is great. One of the best Conan O'Brien guests of all time.