Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

I bought a manual car the other day but I've only owned automatics, y'all got any tips for getting used to the differences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Try driving very slowly in reverse first. After a couple of weeks of that you can upgrade to 1st gear. If you play your cards right the exciting world of second gear will open up to you in mere months.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
when you shift gears, it should make a horrible crunching sound

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

When you want to pass a truck on the highway, downshift and blast Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Grind em til you find em

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

trade your car in for a supercar that can do 85 in first and stop worrying about shifting entirely

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

What is first gear for? Second gets me from 0-30 all on its own. Also why do I need to downshift if I'm slowing down, can't I just hold the clutch down and step on the brake?

edit: I tried to keep the car from rolling downhill using the gas and the clutch and now it smells weird did I break something

Overnight Blaze fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 12, 2019

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Practice on your boyfriend.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Things boomers [used to] like

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Stick in butt, shift???

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
just slam the bitch into gear drop that fuckin clutch and off u go

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Very carefully

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Floor the gas pedal and go directly from 2 to 5. It saves time and is good for the whole car. If you find yourself going a bit too fast, instead of adjusting the gas, just push the clutch and the car will slow down.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Use gun

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

If you're starting on a slight uphill gradient make sure you use the handbrake. Max out the revs, pull the clutch back until you feel the car bite, release the handbrake and then cock it up and roll backwards into whoever is behind you having just suffocated them in your exhaust.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I dunno either OP... But it's been driving my nuts just fine.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Press the clutch down, put it into gear, accelerate slowly while releasing the clutch

do that until ur pro lmao welcome 2 da real world

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wizzanthos posted:

What is first gear for? Second gets me from 0-30 all on its own. Also why do I need to downshift if I'm slowing down, can't I just hold the clutch down and step on the brake?

edit: I tried to keep the car from rolling downhill using the gas and the clutch and now it smells weird did I break something
First gear is there to start moving quickly from complete stop, you can technically use the second gear but it's slower and also you will get why you should be using 1st when you try to start uphill. The moment the car starts to drive you shift to second, you'll destroy your engine driving on 1st for too long. 2nd gear should really only be used for starting in the snow - slower wheel movement gives better traction.

You can slow down by breaking+clutch, in the end the most important thing is to shift into the proper gear for your speed. Slowing down using gears is just smoother and more elegant, it needs practice though as you can kill your engine if there's too big of a jump between your speed and the gear you shifted into.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure you're double clutching like you should, and not granny shifting.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
RPMs don't matter, that gauge is only there for gear-heads who really care about those small details to compensate for their small(er) parts.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Heh, I just within the last year switched to an electric car (user interface-wise pretty much the same as an automatic) after 20+ years of driving stick shift. Accidentally braked really hard a bunch of times to begin with when my left foot wanted to step on the clutch.

Now I've pretty much adjusted to the point where if I borrow a stick shift car it takes me a minute or two to remember the old ways.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Serious answer: Practice using the clutch, never step on the brake without also stepping on the clutch, learn how to shift rapidly and smoothly.

You will become familiar with the particulars of your individual car. For the most part you will want to be using the highest gear where the engine can maintain a constant RPM at whatever speed you want to drive, this gives the best fuel economy. Whenever RPM starts to flag despite stepping on the gas pedal (typically if you're driving uphill), shift down. When you need to accelerate rapidly (like, to overtake someone or to get onto a road and up to speed before the next car comes from behind), use a lower gear and only shift up once RPM is getting up there. You will learn to judge RPM well enough by how the engine sounds.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I can drive stick but I've never completely gotten the hang of first gear. The main reason to own a stick shift is to piss off any potential car thieves who'd want to steal it.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Wizzanthos posted:

Not yet! That's just your clutch getting too hot from friction*, if you overdo it will melt and break. For coasting downhill, just shift down and let the engine brake for you.

*A clutch is basically two discs pushed together by a spring. When you step on the clutch pedal it separates those two discs; if you slowly release the pedal those discs will start to get closer again until they are in contact, and the moment your car starts to react is when the two discs are "rubbing" against one another. If they run for too long they will overheat and eventually melt

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shove the shifter up your rear end op. You'll figure out the rest.

Swastikatzen
Apr 10, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

I can drive stick but I've never completely gotten the hang of first gear. The main reason to own a stick shift is to piss off any potential car thieves who'd want to steal it.

The other reason is to down shift and gently caress with assholes tailgating you when you're stuck in traffic and can't do anything about it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i remember trying to go uphill on an icy driveway for like a half hour in 1st gear. after parking in the street overnight the next day i figured it out (someone told me)

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
If your stick looks like a dick you can use it for pegging

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
just as with MMORPGs, it's going to involve some grinding

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just walk op

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've never gotten the hang of driving stick.
I learned how when I was young, my mom taught me before I was even able to legally drive (we lived out in the country at the end of a little private road), so I CAN do it, but I never LIKED doing it. But for some reason, absolutely LOVE the feeling of driving a manual when it comes to riding a motorcycle. Granted that's a very different experience, but I love the tactile sense you get from that, as opposed to a stick shift in a car.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i asked the AI for some advice

How to Drive a Stick Shift:
Step 1:
Download the free Driver and go to "Driving a stick shift" and start your vehicle.
Step 2: Hit the Start Button.
Step 3: Once the Start Button is hit, wait 2 seconds for your vehicle to shift into gear. If your vehicle shifts into gear in less than 2 seconds, then go ahead and hit the Start Button again.
Step 4: Once you shift into gear, wait 2 seconds for your vehicle to shift into park.
Step 5: Wait 2 seconds for your vehicle to start turning.
Step 6: Wait 2 seconds for your vehicle to start moving forward.
Step 7: Once your vehicle is moving forward, hit the Start Button again.
Step 8: Once your vehicle has started moving forward, hit the Start Button again.
Step 9: Once your vehicle has started moving forward, you will see a white screen with a text box that reads "You are now driving"
Step 10: Hit the

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
While driving, rhythmically depress the clutch pedal until you smell something that smells like burning dog hair. That means you're doing it right.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Previa_fun posted:

Grind em til you find em

Hell, that's how i learned.

Works for making women orgasm too.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
get up to 70mph on the highway and then force it into first gear

dk2m
May 6, 2009
learn heel-toe shifting, it’s not some super advanced thing no matter who tells you that. it’ll make downshifts so much smoother and turns will feel seamless

plus, before it becomes second nature and you just do it without thinking, it’s very satisfying when it comes together

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Don't you need a license for driving manual?

Wizzanthos posted:

:chloe:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Groke posted:

never step on the brake without also stepping on the clutch

what the hell?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
here's a handy guide:

First gear - it's alright
Second gear - I lean right
Third gear - hang on tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Revs high, clutch out slow! If the car becomes unwieldy pump the clutch a few times (a kin to spurring a horse).

Real talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk
This is the best video I've ever seen on the subject. What helped me once I got going was to have a friend (who could drive stick) ride along so I could ask what I was doing wrong, as it happened. Having someone badger you with instruction while you are doing 10 new activities at once is insanely frustrating.