Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the R is for Race mode so be sure to have reached a high speed before shifting to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Have a friend teach you

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Whatever you do, do NOT use the emergency brake when parked on a hill.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
OP. Dis you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKmbJAPOxfY&t=125s

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
If you want to take something that has thankfully been made very easy and make it much more dangerous and prone to human error, drive stick. That engine tumbling your balls like a rock polisher is worth thousands of preventable deaths a year.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Money shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYzxUIaeso

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I never did learn lol

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Relayer posted:

If you want to take something that has thankfully been made very easy and make it much more dangerous and prone to human error, drive stick. That engine tumbling your balls like a rock polisher is worth thousands of preventable deaths a year.

get this dweeb poo poo out of here

coast in neutral as you whip sweet turns

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Just came here to say, practice your money shifts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujTcBdznUw

I've done that once on a racetrack and pitched the car towards a wall but was able to get control. A friend of mine did it on the highway and scattered the clutch of all things. Shredded clutch disc material hanging out of the bell housing.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

jonathan posted:

Just came here to say, practice your money shifts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujTcBdznUw

I've done that once on a racetrack and pitched the car towards a wall but was able to get control. A friend of mine did it on the highway and scattered the clutch of all things. Shredded clutch disc material hanging out of the bell housing.

I never missed a shift on track (but it was oval racing and I only really had to shift on starts and restarts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, leave it there. However I was behind someone that missed a shift once, the result was a catastrophic stack of cars behind him (he was on the front row). 20 car field, I think only maybe 4 made it through unscathed. I was not one of them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you drive an automatic you can focus on your buddies stick when driving.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

OP, if you really want to learn to drive stick, you should do it the right way, with your father in the passenger seat yelling at you for not being smooth enough and making him spill his beer, and every so often he reaches over and knocks the stick into neutral and laughs at you.

What.... just me?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I learned here many many years ago,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH6HHCEZLQw

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
"I prefer the old lovely way of doing things rather than the newer, much better way of doing things" -industry thought leaders worldwide

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol just lol if your car doesn't have a doppelkupplungsgetriebe

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Here is another good primer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXB4wHimWeU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Go out to an empty area with your mom so you can practice, and when you mess up and stall out, flip your poo poo and treat your mom horribly for trying to help you out becuase well dad isn't around to do this poo poo is he?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

Wizzanthos posted:

What is first gear for? Second gets me from 0-30 all on its own. Also why do I need to downshift if I'm slowing down, can't I just hold the clutch down and step on the brake?

edit: I tried to keep the car from rolling downhill using the gas and the clutch and now it smells weird did I break something

Fast acceleration. Also, if your fat spouse is in the car it'll stall out starting in second. You don't need to downshift, but when you are in gear you have greater control over the vehicle than when you are clutched out and this is recommended practice by some governments. also saves some brake wear

Never go uphill. You overheated the clutch a little doing that. You will eventually get stuck in a valley, but you'll be there with a bunch of other manual drivers & can have cool drag races

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Relayer posted:

"I prefer the old lovely way of doing things rather than the newer, much better way of doing things" -industry thought leaders worldwide

Manuals are for people that actually like driving. Automatics are for people to whom a car is just an appliance.

edit: I only make exception to this rule for high performance flappy paddle gearboxes.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 12, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Manuals are for people who like switching gears. Even manuals have a lot of processors in them.

Unless you're driving something from 1960 or w/e.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Stick shifts are for loving morons. Get a sequential transmission and stop loving around with inefficient, obsolete technology. Unless you're bringing your shitbox Miata down to trackday and you absolutely have to shave that 0.09 seconds off in Turn 4, standard transmission is horseshit for idiots and stuff

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
just use the first gear OP the rest are useless

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

super sweet best pal posted:

I can drive stick but I've never completely gotten the hang of first gear. The main reason to own a stick shift is to piss off any potential car thieves who'd want to steal it.

I'm now going to invent the fake gear shift addon for automatic cars to deter thieves. Millions are coming my way!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

In the UK it's standard to drive a manual car, only dum dums drive automatics

What i'm saying is America is full of dum dums.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ill teach you op

just PM me your credit card details as soon as possible

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

shut up blegum posted:

Lol just lol if your car doesn't have a doppelkupplungsgetriebe

My uncle helped invent that before he passed away :unsmith:

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jay_Zombie posted:

Manuals are for people that actually like driving. Automatics are for people to whom a car is just an appliance.

edit: I only make exception to this rule for high performance flappy paddle gearboxes.

Do you all so sing flappy paddle gearbox to the tune of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Tony Snark posted:

Do you all so sing flappy paddle gearbox to the tune of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Well. No.

But now I will probably sing that in my head forever and ever, so thanks for that.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Dell_Zincht posted:

In the UK it's standard to drive a manual car, only dum dums drive automatics

you guys can't even loving drive on the correct side of the road, no one gives a poo poo what you think

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

you guys can't even loving drive on the correct side of the road, no one gives a poo poo what you think

:blastu:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

No argument here.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Cool things about stick:
* They're are cheaper second hand in the US because nobody can drive them.
* Stick is real good to own when you're in your twenties because none of your friends can ask to borrow your car.
* Manual on an older car with no traction control will teach you to deal with snow and ice the right way, so that you aren't one of the idiots who slow to a crawl when there's snow on the road (or the idiots who keep going 70 because they think 4wd is magic).

Once you are an adult and have kids and other distractions to deal with, forget that poo poo and just get an automatic.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i have a fast car with an automatic and its perfectly fun to drive and i can flip it into semi-manual mode or whatever when i want to do cool stuff or make rad exhaust noises and piss people off who live in my neighborhood

otherwise its in auto so i can sit in traffic and pick boogers and stuff

the uk is pretty neato but all their cars have like 25 horsepower its pretty funny!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chinatown posted:

i have a fast car with an automatic and its perfectly fun to drive and i can flip it into semi-manual mode or whatever when i want to do cool stuff or make rad exhaust noises and piss people off who live in my neighborhood

otherwise its in auto so i can sit in traffic and pick boogers and stuff

:same:

Mine even has paddle shifters that I’ve used exactly once. The semi-auto or whatever it’s called is good in snowy weather too if you want a little bit more control. I usually turn off the traction control because it’s awful though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i want another old VW, maybe next spring, but this time from the 90s instead of the 80s

ironically im suing a driver that blew through a stop sign and nailed me on my $10k carbon race bicycle and might use the money to buy a car lol

fast cars rule but so does driving slow cars fast

i also really dont need a car on the daily so i dont mind if its a bit more eclectic

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 12, 2019

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the fastest car in the world is the one you rent!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Rev the engine
Pop the clutch
Tell the world
To EAT YOUR DUST OP!!!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

the fastest car in the world is the one you rent!!!

i musta set some kind of record in a chevy malibu

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

here's a handy guide:

First gear - it's alright
Second gear - I lean right
Third gear - hang on tight

Also be aware that it is legally required to shift gear at 4:30 (AM and PM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
In an empty parking lot try having your clutch all the way down and shift into first.

Then release the clutch slowly till you feel the slightest movement or the engine start to slow down.

Now remember that 'catch point'.

When you want to change gear in the future, just have your the clutch near that catch point at the gear/rpm you want. Move the clutch slowly around the catch point for it to work the car up to speed, then release fully.

Congratulations you've just learned how to drive stick.

In the future, just adjust how fast you release your clutch to that catch point. Also find the right rpm for the specific gear you want to get into at various speed will make everything smoother. Blip the throttle if your rpm is too low etc.

The technical explanation is that the 'catch point' is where the syncro is trying to turn the load/wheel to match the same speed as your engine, it's also where the clutch disengage/engage. And the gear shift will be seamless if your engine is already at the right rpm when your tire is turning at the same speed.

I'll always remember the story from AI when someone first started driving and shifted gears without using clutch at all just because they were lucky enough to be at the right speed/engine rpm, but DO NOT TRY THAT because it will ruin the gearbox if you aren't lucky enough.