Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Do you want to impress your friends and family? Just casually tell them these facts that seem likely, but are 100% false!

-The air inside tires is called "flate," hence to "inflate" and "deflate"
-It is illegal in most countries to erect roadside memorials to those who have died in traffic accidents
-Unlike with cows, goats actually need to be killed in order to be milked
-The most common mineral on the moon is salt

And before one of you clever jerks says "You are a good poster lol!", the facts must be at least somewhat believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Häagen-Dazs is Dutch for "Okie Dokie"

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
A dog's saliva is antibacterial so it's not gross or even harmful for a dog to lick a human's mouth

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Epstein committed suicide.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Excellent, a sibling thread for "Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out [where often things the poster had just figured out are not in fact at all correct]"

For example the other day I "figured out" rapper Cardi B's name is a play on Cartier!

it is not
but now you can impress your friends with your inaccurate pop culture savvy!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

-Styrofoam is made by heavily compressing sea sponges into tiny spheres. The density achieved through this process allow the sponges to survive for thousands of years as coffee cups, packing material, and low-grade soundproofing.

-You may have not heard of Albert Bum, but you surely know his creation. He was the first person to record and distribute music. After many years of trial and error, he perfected his method and named his invention after himself, calling it the "Album."

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The body of a snake is actually a single long limb.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Every domestic dwelling built in Virginia, Connecticut, and New Jersey between 1949 and 1960 had a Catholic priest attend the pouring of its foundation.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Every domestic dwelling built in Virginia, Connecticut, and New Jersey between 1949 and 1960 had a Catholic priest attend the pouring of its foundation.

And most of the mortar contained ashes of deceased clergymen.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Mighty Moltres posted:

And most of the mortar contained ashes of deceased clergymen.

If you know a more penny-conscious way of keeping all the Nazis the OSS smuggled over from performing occult rituals outside of company hours, I suggest you borrow one of their time machines and tell them.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pastry of the Year posted:

If you know a more penny-conscious way of keeping all the Nazis the OSS smuggled over from performing occult rituals outside of company hours, I suggest you borrow one of their time machines and tell them.

I do not, I'm just stating the fake facts!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

-Lots of people have lush green yards full of grass. Grass is harmful to squirrels, and they are dying by the hundreds every day.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
You can tell if someone’s lying to you by asking a yes/no question. If they blink BEFORE but not after answering, they are most likely being dishonest.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Herbert Hoover was the first US president to wear sneakers.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Bluetooth technology is almost the exact same tech used in a standard Tv remote.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Ancient sailors, after passing the equator, had to reverse the results of their astrological navigations. Why? Because the stars would be ‘upside down’ for their intense and purposes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Every gold-fringed American flag has a handful of crushed tea leaves sewn into the blue star field.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Asian eyes look the way they do because our ancestors had to squint against blizzards as they lived nomadically in the frozen steppes of Mongolia

i used to like to tell people this and see who bit

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Herbert Hoover was the first US president to wear sneakers.

Indeed, and Harry S. Truman exclusively wore sandals. That’s what his middle initial stood for!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did you know that Baby Ruth (the candy bar) actually was named by Babe Ruth himself? Ferraro just asked him if they could use his name and he agreed no questions asked. Apparently he thought it'd make a good dugout snack.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

John F Kennedy’s middle name was actually Lawrence. Before he became president, he joined the Screen Actor’s Guild, and there was already a person being credited as John Kennedy and another being credited as John L Kennedy. So he registered using Fitzgerald as his middle name, after his grandfather:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

LargeHadron posted:

A dog's saliva is antibacterial so it's not gross or even harmful for a dog to lick a human's mouth

lol who would even do that to begin with lol

:smith:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bernard the Elf from the Santa Claus is played by a young Oscar Isaacs

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
If you hold your nose when you sneeze, your head will explode.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Cats show you their butthole so often because they think you're a dog and want to sniff it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lossy Compression posted:

If you hold your nose when you sneeze, your head will explode.

I believed for all the world that this was true for a short while as a little kid, and yet, for some reason, I couldn't help myself; I had to try it out.

:rip: me, the posting ghost

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

EmmyOk posted:

Bernard the Elf from the Santa Claus is played by a young Oscar Isaacs

You almost got me there. The guy who played Bernard is actually the same guy who plays Alden from The Walking Dead (the nice guy former Savior who slouches).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

You almost got me there. The guy who played Bernard is actually the same guy who plays Alden from The Walking Dead (the nice guy former Savior who slouches).

Been telling people since TFA that it's true and no one has ever even doubted me

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

LargeHadron posted:

Really!?

He didn't look like anything to me.....

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The average human swallows 5 spiders a year in their sleep. Except for people with sleep apnea, who don't swallow any for reasons that have yet to be determined.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

You can hear a phone call on a pots line if you put one wire on your tongue and press the other wire next to your ear through bone conduction. But only if you do so before an incoming call.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Planets orbit around the sun.

They actually orbit around the barycenter of solar system in general and more specifically the barycenter of the planet in question and the sun, which is generally not the center of the sun. In the case of Jupiter the barycenter is actually outside of the sun.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
If you coat your windshield in Vaseline ice and snow won't stick to it.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Les Miserables is a musical based on the novel of the same name, and is about the French Revolution

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Coffee tables used to store / be made of coffee.

Tulips used to be used as fleshlights are because they are kind of like a human's lips.

The first person to invent glasses created a harness holder for glasses on their face. One day, their friends pulled a prank and replaced the glasses with mugs. That's where the insult comes from, "you look like a mug" dates back to that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason the sound of nails on a chalkboard is so ear splitting actually has very little to do with the frequency the sound plays at (dolphin cries for example play on a similar wavelength). In actuality, it's an automatic stimulus response in humans that dates back to pre-evolution methods of torture. After all, hearing was one of the most important senses to have back in that era and losing it was likely a very harsh punishment indeed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mario Kart is called Mario Speedwagon in Japan.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The reason dogs stick their heads out of the windows of moving cars is because the air moves too fast past them for them to get any molecules in their noses. They're just constantly bombarded with so many smells all the time that they love the occasional moment of what is basically olfactory peace and quiet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jet fuel is capable of melting steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Girl, you can change him.