Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Tyro posted:

That's cool as heck

It mostly is but it gets a little frustrating when the decapping rod from your .45 Auto die has unaccountably vanished because someone needed a thin piece of steel to use as a punch for jem setting and it just so happens that Lee decapping rods are absolutely perfect.

Or when your digital calipers that you have spent significant amounts of time cleaning and tuning up disappear and then re-emerge, gunked up with silver and stone grit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

We need a TFR Metalworking thread.

Well, I need that.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Fearless posted:

It mostly is but it gets a little frustrating when the decapping rod from your .45 Auto die has unaccountably vanished because someone needed a thin piece of steel to use as a punch for jem setting and it just so happens that Lee decapping rods are absolutely perfect.

Or when your digital calipers that you have spent significant amounts of time cleaning and tuning up disappear and then re-emerge, gunked up with silver and stone grit.

Yeah that would be pretty annoying.

I did a jewelry making section in my high school art class and it was really cool. Super basic stuff like cutting silver into shapes, but a cool intro to it. I've always kind of toyed around with getting back into it as a hobby.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Tyro posted:

Yeah that would be pretty annoying.

I did a jewelry making section in my high school art class and it was really cool. Super basic stuff like cutting silver into shapes, but a cool intro to it. I've always kind of toyed around with getting back into it as a hobby.

It's annoying in that sense that it's one of those things that one's spouse does that causes a flash of irritation, but then you just laugh because if this is marital strife you've got it pretty good. We have complimentary odd hobbies and are mutually supportive-- a wild Friday night can consist of my wife making jewelry while I tinker on a model or rifle.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Fearless posted:

It's annoying in that sense that it's one of those things that one's spouse does that causes a flash of irritation, but then you just laugh because if this is marital strife you've got it pretty good. We have complimentary odd hobbies and are mutually supportive-- a wild Friday night can consist of my wife making jewelry while I tinker on a model or rifle.

That rules, a lot. I'm happy for you!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Captain Log posted:

Well, I need that.

How about 30+ pages to catch up on ?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754714

also if you have archives.

Here's my original 9x39 insanity thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752943

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Well, I need that.

We have the shopwork thread, but I think a brief thread outside of that thread would be a neat way to expose folks to silver smithing or chained up males.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

shalafi4 posted:

How about 30+ pages to catch up on ?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754714

also if you have archives.

Here's my original 9x39 insanity thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752943

Thank you, sir!

Miso Beno posted:

We have the shopwork thread, but I think a brief thread outside of that thread would be a neat way to expose folks to silver smithing or chained up males.

I would be thrilled to see that kind of stuff, seeing as how my grandmother's antique shop literally started as a silver selling business. Silver is very important to my family.

Fun Fact - I have a nickel allergy and cannot wear silver jewelry. The necklace I wear is stainless steel because the silver one I originally used chemical burnt me.

This is the two ounce of silver medallion I wear underneath my shirt. It perfectly sums up my lifelong philosophy of smiling in the face of death.

Extra emphasis on the "I wear this under my shirt" part.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Im with ya on the nickle allergy. I get the worst rash and it burns like hellllll.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

Im with ya on the nickle allergy. I get the worst rash and it burns like hellllll.

Does that make us vampire broís or werewolf broís?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

i wanna be a werewolf. they got sexy ab muscles. vampires are just sparkly shut-ins from forks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

i wanna be a werewolf. they got sexy ab muscles. vampires are just sparkly shut-ins from forks.

I wanna be a were-parrot

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I wanna be a were-parrot

poo poo me too now

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My oldest daughter has a massive nickel allergy. Even wearing jeans without covering the button gets her covered in hives, cracked skin, etc.

Bizarre allergy. We can't find anyone else in our little dipshit gene pool with the same problem.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Do both sterling silver and fine silver trigger that allergy? Or just sterling? Neither of them should have any nickel in them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

armorer posted:

Do both sterling silver and fine silver trigger that allergy? Or just sterling? Neither of them should have any nickel in them.

The necklace I had was British, but itís apparently an allergy to ďtrace elementsĒ of silver used in production. I wore the necklace for four or five days then broke out in a nasty, itchy burn that lasted over a week.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nickel-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20351529

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

My beef is cheap silver-ish stuff has an unknown quantity of the stuff and I am annoyingly sensitive to. I've been keeping to gold because it doesn't seem to poo poo up my day as bad and I basically only wear a watch and a religious necklace.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Captain Log posted:

The necklace I had was British, but itís apparently an allergy to ďtrace elementsĒ of silver used in production. I wore the necklace for four or five days then broke out in a nasty, itchy burn that lasted over a week.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nickel-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20351529

That article specifically lists sterling silver as something that shouldn't trigger nickel allergy. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper - that's all that should be in it. Now if something is just silver colored, or silver plated and the plating wears off, then yeah there's likely nickel in there, but sterling or fine silver should really not have nickel in it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

armorer posted:

That article specifically lists sterling silver as something that shouldn't trigger nickel allergy. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper - that's all that should be in it. Now if something is just silver colored, or silver plated and the plating wears off, then yeah there's likely nickel in there, but sterling or fine silver should really not have nickel in it.

Huh. Now Iím confused. I ended up at my dermatologist over this and I donít know what to believe anymore.

I need to find a piece of silver to rub on my body for a few days.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

armorer posted:

Some cheap sterling silvers have "dirty" copper that has enough nickel to trigger an allergy. There's not enough in there by weight to amount to any significant % but it's enough for the allergy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

shalafi4 posted:

Some cheap sterling silvers have "dirty" copper that has enough nickel to trigger an allergy. There's not enough in there by weight to amount to any significant % but it's enough for the allergy.

Ah hah, I think that solved it!

I was trying to figure out what length of chain I'd like, so I ordered a couple cheap ones. I figured I'd drop money on a good one when I knew the length I liked.

I'd be willing to bet that's the issue.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Ah hah, I think that solved it!

I was trying to figure out what length of chain I'd like, so I ordered a couple cheap ones. I figured I'd drop money on a good one when I knew the length I liked.

I'd be willing to bet that's the issue.

I pretty much have to wear fine sliver anymore (or go to titanium)

Unless it's really good quality sterling I'll start to eat pits into it from sweating within a week.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

shalafi4 posted:

I pretty much have to wear fine sliver anymore (or go to titanium)

Unless it's really good quality sterling I'll start to eat pits into it from sweating within a week.

Because I wear a nine karat gold ring, I'm just waiting to get an appropriately muted gold chain for my necklace. Nine karat is a very low luster gold the British use for men's jewelry. I wouldn't want to wear some gaudy 18k American style chain. I'm not a rapper.

:slowly pushes a stack of cassette tapes marked MC LOG into the trash:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Is there still a package en route? I lost count.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Yea there's one inbound still

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

There was a routing oopsie poopsie but the package was located and redirected. Tracking indicates it should be wheels down on early next week.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Captain Log, I got your card and the little eggplant domo. I don't know if your choice of an eggplant was done for the reasons I assume it was, but... I like it Thanks!

It actually arrived a few days ago, but that address is a package room so I just got it now.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

These are the prize categories I'm thinking of -

Prize Categories:
  • Best Bonus Swag
  • Most Patient Ralphie
  • Thanks Best Typo In Class
  • Best Unboxing
  • Best Gun Forums Moderator
  • Best Loot Presentation

Look good to you guys? I can swap a category out (shipping is gonna stretch my budget a bit)

Also, if you wanna nominate someone other than yourself for any of those classes do it do it do it. I'm gonna make my arbitrary decision sometime next week after I getting the items etched.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

armorer posted:

Captain Log, I got your card and the little eggplant domo. I don't know if your choice of an eggplant was done for the reasons I assume it was, but... I like it Thanks!

It actually arrived a few days ago, but that address is a package room so I just got it now.

Iím glad it arrived! Itís only appropriate that you get to join the TFR Domo crew.

No joke, I didnít even think about the emoji context until a day or two ago. Iím not a smart man.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Miso Beno posted:

[*] Best Gun Forums Moderator

I'm touched you guys thought of me.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

McNally posted:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

TFR probably has like 6 mod lurkers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

TFR probably has like 6 mod lurkers.

PPJ

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

McNally posted:

Youíve got my vote.

More people in your forum have actually used theirs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Re: metal allergies.

Check our palladium. Itís basically hipster platinum but popular with the hypo allergenic crowd.

My wedding ring is palladium because it was cheaper than platinum and I donít like gold and silver tarnishes too easily. Reading up on care etc I found out about the allergy stuff.

i wanted to melt down the extractor from a Mauser to make a ring but that got nixed.

frankly thAt just shows she has better decision making abilities than me

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Youíve got my vote.

More people in your forum have actually used theirs.

Hey, cops post here too.

Svarotslav
May 22, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

My wedding ring is palladium because it was cheaper than platinum and I donít like gold and silver tarnishes too easily. Reading up on care etc I found out about the allergy stuff.

One thing that I started looking at was Argentium. It's a sterling silver, but rather than alloyed with copper, it's alloyed with Germanium. So it's lighter in colour, harder and stains/tarnishes less.

I've sourced some and it's a bit more expensive than regular sterling, but they do make a big deal of being ethically sourced.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Check our palladium. Itís basically hipster platinum but popular with the hypo allergenic crowd.

i wanted to melt down the extractor from a Mauser to make a ring but that got nixed.

frankly thAt just shows she has better decision making abilities than me

Palladium has gotten closer to platinum prices in the past decade because electric car batteries need a shitload of it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Miso Beno posted:

These are the prize categories I'm thinking of -

Prize Categories:
  • Best Bonus Swag
  • Most Patient Ralphie
  • Thanks Best Typo In Class
  • Best Unboxing
  • Best Gun Forums Moderator
  • Best Loot Presentation

Look good to you guys? I can swap a category out (shipping is gonna stretch my budget a bit)

Also, if you wanna nominate someone other than yourself for any of those classes do it do it do it. I'm gonna make my arbitrary decision sometime next week after I getting the items etched.

The Eyes Have It deserves a nod in best unboxing for opening his present with a loving laser.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fearless posted:

The Eyes Have It deserves a nod in best loot presentation for opening his present with a loving laser.

Agreed, but that would be "best unboxing" I think.