Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished up last week's episode and I love how they're making Tim look more and more corpulent as the weeks go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

love this one

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

"Speaking of the situation we're in now, Nightmare Alley...."

Also, holy poo poo, Mark's Cavalcade of Characters was one of the most amazing On Cinema related things in a long time.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Toni can really act.

Also please please can we get a gif of Mark licking the lollipop?

E: Also, Tim's inability to pronounce Mark's name is never not funny

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 2, 2021

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

Mark’s Cavalcade of Characters is a masterpiece

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I had to pause the episode for a minute because I completely lost it when Gregg muttered "Kramer vs. Kramer."

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I have no idea which heilot to vote for, I loved them all

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Popcorn shuffle was a MESS!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
mark is a national treasure. cutting from a few minutes of toni's impassioned speech directly to mark's face in that getup, just pure gold

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

cannot wait to see how they land this next week

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

tysm

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
second half of this ep was hands down some of the best acting ever on this show. I mean I did notice that Toni was drinking almost every single time she was on screen but drat I didn't think it was gonna blow up quite like this

episode 8 was great as well, amazing how such a nihilistic show can have two legitimately likeable characters in Manuel and Joe

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

second half of this ep was hands down some of the best acting ever on this show. I mean I did notice that Toni was drinking almost every single time she was on screen but drat I didn't think it was gonna blow up quite like this

This is one of those things that in retrospect was evident since Mr. America, when she was ordering wine with breakfast in the diner. Made me wonder if they planned it from back then or if they've just been developing it over time.

I also wonder if the Dr. San stuff is part of what they originally had planned for the "Seven Minutes in Heaven" concept with Pastor Lewis.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

episode 8 was great as well, amazing how such a nihilistic show can have two legitimately likeable characters in Manuel and Joe

One of my favorite things about the show is how nice most of the side characters are, they really want to help tim & gregg succeed despite everything. It helps sell how consistently lovely they are, even the weirdest around them are usually much more well meaning than either of the two.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
such a symphony of comedy, this show. Mark's confused response of '....Ohio??' would not have worked nearly as well if they hadn't spent three episodes getting us used to Gregg saying FROM?? every time an actor is mentioned.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Chairman Capone posted:

This is one of those things that in retrospect was evident since Mr. America, when she was ordering wine with breakfast in the diner. Made me wonder if they planned it from back then or if they've just been developing it over time.

I also wonder if the Dr. San stuff is part of what they originally had planned for the "Seven Minutes in Heaven" concept with Pastor Lewis.

the Oscar Special where they get married/nearly get murdered kinda drives this home, she's incredibly pissed at first about the situation but liquors up in the dressing room and suddenly she's okay

dunno what was originally planned for the Pastor but unfortunately that storyline had to get axed due to Covid reasons. its heavily implied that she and Tim had some kind of relationship while Toni was passed out right?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

dunno what was originally planned for the Pastor but unfortunately that storyline had to get axed due to Covid reasons. its heavily implied that she and Tim had some kind of relationship while Toni was passed out right?

Yeah, and probably having some kind of affair even before, going from their interaction. My purely speculative guess is that Tim and Pastor Lewis would have had some kind of "spiritual wedding" in heaven and this would have tied into the prenup with Toni.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dracula Factory posted:

One of my favorite things about the show is how nice most of the side characters are, they really want to help tim & gregg succeed despite everything. It helps sell how consistently lovely they are, even the weirdest around them are usually much more well meaning than either of the two.

Yeah, though they're also generally people who are easy to take advantage of. Mark has always been a step off, Ayaka was young and didn't have a great grasp on English, also very worried for Wendy Kerby given how naive but scared she always looks. Axiom, Manuel and Joe are all kinda just doofuses though who mean the best and have misplaced faith in Tim, but something like Axiom giving Tim his hand just sorta strikes me as someone too deep into a cult-like abusive relationship to say no.

Toni is presented to us as pretty terrible upfront though now obviously is having a moment to grow. Dr. San always had sinister grifter vibes. Who knows what the gently caress is up with LaRue.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, though they're also generally people who are easy to take advantage of. Mark has always been a step off, Ayaka was young and didn't have a great grasp on English, also very worried for Wendy Kerby given how naive but scared she always looks. Axiom, Manuel and Joe are all kinda just doofuses though who mean the best and have misplaced faith in Tim, but something like Axiom giving Tim his hand just sorta strikes me as someone too deep into a cult-like abusive relationship to say no.

Toni is presented to us as pretty terrible upfront though now obviously is having a moment to grow. Dr. San always had sinister grifter vibes. Who knows what the gently caress is up with LaRue.

LaRue is a conspiracy-minded wacko with no actual investigative skills or knowledge that had just enough street cred (read: intimidating black man) that Tim immediately bought all the way in. Tim definitely enables him, but I don't see either of them as taking advantage of each other. Just two guys who are incompetent in compatible ways, much like Tim and Gregg

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah for sure, though I think LaRue likes to fancy himself that he's a talented investigator. Though Dr. San did also seem to believe in what he was selling too. I think that's one of the hallmarks of the show: Everyone genuinely believes in what they're doing, even if it's fleeting.

Tim, in all his narcissism, really does believe he's building an empire and every new venture he starts up he is steadfastly convinced is worth doing and will be the thing that makes it big for him. Just like he truly believes Dr. San's vapes are good for him, that RJ's shakes are making him healthy, that he really is innocent and did not kill all those kids.

Gregg entirely believes he's a film expert and even when he's wrong convinces himself he's right. Axiom and Manuel truly believe they're going to be big rock stars. Joe Estevez often seems unsure of himself but he's willing to give anything a try, including being a CFO.

That's really the glue of the show. Everyone is incompetent, Tim and Gregg are vile narcissists, nothing they do will ever succeed, but in the core of their being they believe all of it.

edit: It's honestly strange how much Tim is a perfect image of Lowtax.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ALFbrot posted:

... just enough street cred (read: intimidating black man)

Gregg's just some guy that watches lots of movies.
Axiom's just some guy that was at Guitar Warehouse.
Manuel's just some guy that Axiom knew.
Laroux's just some guy that is black and intimidating looking.
Max is just some guy that worked at Best Buy.

He surrounds himself with mediocrity. And still wins bigly!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Before the 2020 Oscar Special I would say that Gregg was at least the most harmless one.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Just the most incredible piece of art ever created.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Before the 2020 Oscar Special I would say that Gregg was at least the most harmless one.

Even after what he did to Mark while he was in the coma?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I'd love to vote in Heilot Season but I can't, in good conscience, spend my hard-earned HEI Points on it. I will need all the HEI Points I can get when the dollar completely devalues and HEI Points become the new legal tender of the world.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That scene with Toni was something else.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Gregg has more HEI points than anyone else, what's to stop him from buying the election?

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Gregg has more HEI points than anyone else, what's to stop him from buying the election?

I am expecting some last-minute infusion of HEI points (from Tim, most likely) into one show to render all the audience participation irrelevant. It would be funny if Gregg was the one to force his show to win.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
only Gregg would have the obsessive singlemindedness required to click 10,000 times in order to add all the votes.

(it's 100 points per vote, and you have to click and then refresh the page each time LOL wtf)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Sierra Madre posted:

I am expecting some last-minute infusion of HEI points (from Tim, most likely) into one show to render all the audience participation irrelevant. It would be funny if Gregg was the one to force his show to win.

I am wondering how they plan to integrate this. Does voting end right when the episode airs? Then do they have a different cut ready to go depending on the winner, or are Tim/Gregg going to gently caress with the outcome?

Anyway I am trying to vote for Popcorn Shuffle 600 times while I follow my fiancee around Walmart. This bit rules.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

^ I'm assuming they've already written the "results" and are just going to fudge the outcome or tip the scales somehow

derp posted:

only Gregg would have the obsessive singlemindedness required to click 10,000 times in order to add all the votes.

(it's 100 points per vote, and you have to click and then refresh the page each time LOL wtf)

On the other hand it would be trivially easy to write a little Python script to use all your votes on whichever show you wanted. The average subscriber's points won't swing the results (I have about 500 votes, LaRue is currently in last place with around 6500) but it would make a dent.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Rigging it isnt in the spirit of the show imo. They already did the bet between greg and tim about who would win some oscar that led to tim owning the VFA, and that was live during the oscars.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

As much as I want to be a tycoon of industry when the dolalr collapses, I want more episodes of rock house even beyond that.

e: though Mark's bit about the actor who played Alfalfa got a pretty serious belly laugh out of me.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

In terms of pilot quality it was Rock House > Cavalcade of Stars > Xposed > Popcorn Shuffle, but Gregg is just singularly an insanely funny character to me so I will always vote Gregg.

But lmao at the headshot for Rock House being Manuel and Wendy.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Cognac McCarthy posted:

On the other hand it would be trivially easy to write a little Python script to use all your votes on whichever show you wanted.

Great idea

Now to sit back and relax.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

C3PO speaking in the WC Fields voice lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
good lord mark's video is so bad