Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Another on cinema thread! My day has been made!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

19 o'clock posted:

When I watched the Oscar Special segment with TCH Jr. being brought back to life my jaw was agape. I couldn't believe how loving insane the tribute was to his (effectively) murdered child.

I've had a great life. You two were the best parents. I grew up to be healthy, handsome, and successful as an actor and model.

Aw, that's awesome man.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I love the distant but raucous laughter in the background of that segment when TCH Jr.'s character model is briefly and terrifyingly nude. It's also insane how straightly Ayaka plays it, she looks genuinely horrified all the way through.

One of the things I love about OC and the whole universe around it is how they value world building and a sense of believability, over being funny at every possible moment. It end up in ridiculous territory so often but it's played so straight and with so much attention to detail that sometimes you're almost tricked into thinking that maybe some of it is real after all.

It does mean you sometimes get long stretches where nothing particularly funny happens, but the payoff and the whole ride is so much better. There's no winking at the camera or deliberate corpsing to make sure the audience gets that its a spoof, no awkward but necessary build-ups to get to a piss poor joke, none of that horrible ADHD rhythm of every n-th line having to be a punchline. Tim seems to trust that his audience will get the joke without its hand being held, and its so refreshing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wuggles posted:

Tim’s attorney is giving me big Beto vibes

The defense attorney and the judge are A+

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The DA was so good I thought he was a real lawyer not in on the joke.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
As I understand it, there are basically actors you can hire to rehearse/reenact trials, from judges down to witnesses and jury, so I wouldn't be surprised.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Remember when Joe Estevez (an angel from heaven) was introduced and Tim reeled off all of his movies which took a full 4 minutes?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm trying to make it through the trial but the shame I'm feeling for tim that he should be feeling is so powerful right now.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Stairmaster posted:

I'm trying to make it through the trial but the shame I'm feeling for tim that he should be feeling is so powerful right now.

When Tim rolls the victim death map onto the festival map I couldn't wince and laugh hard enough at his "We don't wanna show that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFZCqQFln8&t=127s

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just watched Season X and it's my favorite so far. Tim's mispronunciation of "Josh Brolin" as "Brams Jolson" is my favorite of the series.

His meltdown in EP 10 is the most intense the show has ever been, more intense than about anything I've ever watched.

And I'm watching the Oscar special now where he has essentially just taken everybody hostage

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
[cross post from other thread]

I want to be your D.A. and I hope I have your vote...because I'll fight harder than anybody out there. Combined.

gently caress this piece of poo poo!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
gently caress YOU, DELGADO!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finally have a reason to be exciting for the Oscars.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I jumped off that bridge I'D HAVE GONE TO HELL!!! WHICH IS WHERE YOUR PIECE OF poo poo SON IS DELGADO

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I finally have a reason to be exciting for the Oscars.

Would you say you have Oscer Fever?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If I jumped off that bridge I'D HAVE GONE TO HELL!!! WHICH IS WHERE YOUR PIECE OF poo poo SON IS DELGADO

Tim has perfected dead son humor.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Would you say you have Oscer Fever?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never noticed they spelled it with an e.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Doesn’t Gregg defend that it’s spelled both ways?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

it was literally just greg

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

The best part is that if he had spelled it right, all the dominoes would have gone down, but the tapes spelling E just sat there standing up.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Stairmaster posted:

Fake news.

"It's something I've been working on for the past few weeks."

"Well there were about 20 people that were involved who helped set this thing up and make it come to life..."

- Gregg Turkington

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

19 o'clock posted:

Doesn’t Gregg defend that it’s spelled both ways?

"It's spelled both ways" - Gregg Turkington

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The second Oscar special is a real gem.

Something that really got me is when they keep trying to cross live to Larry Turman on the red carpet for some celebrity interviews. Both times the cross fails. But just the idea that Larry freakin' Turman would do famous star interviews is so drat funny. I can't even explain why.

Also of note:

* Tim's obsession with the Ukraine situation
* Sally Kellerman flirting with Tim
* Gregg's hobbit feet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God, in continuing with the Season X Oscar special, hit the Q conspiracy and now Mark's brother. This poo poo is amazing.

Like my brain is questioning reality and wondering if somehow Tim is going to make Operation Zero Hour happen even though I know that's impossible.

I can't imagine what he's going to say when nothing happens in about 45 minutes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lmao

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I love when Tim points out that all the tapes would have fallen over if he spelled it correctly

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jesus the way Tim destroyed the Victorville Finn service for the fourth time in the last Oscar special was so loving devious

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Imo the ending of the last Oscar Special, with Tim and Dekkar wailing Bohemian Rhapsody while Gregg goes from tape to tape looking at which ones are ruined, is like the best constructed joke in the whole series. It's Tim asserting his absolute control over Gregg in the best way

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah but i think greg might have a few tricks up his sleeve this year. tim should watch out

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Lol so my 62 year old mother was using my computer to check her e-mails, and she I left the trial video paused. She said she then spent 20 minutes watching the video and googling it, because she thought it was a real case until she eventually realized it was fake.

She said "this guy shouldn't be his own attorney" of Tim Heidecker

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That owns so much. I always thought a funny bit would be be one of those true crime channels doing daily coverage of the trial, but that's too obvious.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My mom works for the courts and I've considered trying to show it to her. I'd have to find it divided by days (with the whole day) and not the whole thing because the length would put her off.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If she works for the courts I'd be surprised if the length even made her blink.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched through the trial when I was working at my job at a court. But yeah, the jury selection alone for a trial of that magnitude would take weeks.

I worked in the court reporting (stenographers) office department as an office admin. It's been a while, but I noticed the court reporter typing at certain points when a real one wouldn't. It was kinda neat to notice that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Oscar Special will be streaming on the Adult Swim app. Do you need an active cable subscription to watch it?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Unless they changed it, no. It's not on TV so it's not behind the paywall

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cool. I just downloaded and explored the Adult Swim app. There's a ton of content on there. We're living in times of overwhelming media. Gregg's VHS tape obsession is starting to make sense.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
cross post from other thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Are they doing a special? Thought they weren’t cause of the tour