Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He was interested in the idea of doing a movie show (probably for its youtube-celebrity status potential), for about as long as any of his fleeting interests lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

An unsung corollary to the Dunning-Kruger effect is that when one such venture fails (due to the DKE), someone else will invariably think "Well he only failed because he's an idiot! I on the other hand, am smart and will do it better!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At the very beginning it felt very Tom Goes to the Mayor -esque, in that Tim was the long-suffering straight man and Gregg was this obsessive weirdo who didn't actually know anything much to Tim's frustration.

I started from the beginning long after the "real" On Cinema had gotten into its full stride and people were like :stare: at the impression I had after like the first 5 episodes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, did I miss Mark's Mae West impression?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol that it's this that Tim has to break character for

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Confirming that it was Jay Johnston at the Jan 6 riot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Here's my Tim: my little chickadeee"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Paying real money to a shady website for a semi-fictional streaming platform that is self-funding the show's production because of deplatforming by Big Media is just the kind of blurring of the lines of reality that I came here for

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ingmar terdman posted:

The ant-man/fantastic 4 rivalry era might be my favorite running Tim vs Gregg joke in the OCU. Just how much it warped the fourth wall that the character versions would be in these movies, and then instead of just not reviewing/discussing them they write it into the show. And then the real life aspect of ant-man being popular and fantastic 4 eating poo poo.

It's up there with the star trek debate gag. Almost ten years running

I got into a thing the other day where a friend was talking about Christopher Lloyd and how he was a Klingon after Roger Rabbit. I said no, it was STIII, that was early 80s, he's like no, it was Undiscovered Country, 90s. Me, no, STIII, him, no, ST V, right? Me, STIII, him no, that would have been the Search for Spock one, he must have been in IV. Me yeah no, IV was whales. Him, ok yeah, I guess III

I thought he was doing a bit but I'm not that lucky

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I tried to capture the true experience

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whew. The trial has got to be the pinnacle achievement

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I can't believe Decker is a standalone Adult Swim show. What on earth must that be like if you have no idea.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Decker was obvious to me from the start but it took some dumbposting for me to realize Kington was the same thing. I thought it was great as a standalone name because it’s almost but not quite just a basic normal joe name, like Tim calls him Kingston once or twice

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pixaal posted:

Tim loves to put an L there listen close. Which makes sense since is trick to doing the character is to get the que cards blurry and squint at them and try and read it phonetically and don't try and guess what the word is so it likely looks like Klngtn

Ah man I wondered how he does that poo poo. It's pretty drat hard lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Christ it's genius how Tim springs his romantic surprise of an ANNULMENT (oh and also will you marry me again) in like theoretically the worst possible way in the universe

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So this is probably the Free Space on the OC bingo card but "cancel culture" has got to be Tim's newest bugaboo, huh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Genuinely kind of hard to listen to Toni asking him "At least I'm your favorite wife, right?" and he won't even answer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo Silmarillion

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

jesus christ

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

loooooooool shoutout to oncinematimeline in realtime

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's really just powder

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ALCOHOLIC SOUP LAMAOOOOO

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

THE STREAMS CONVERGE

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So much breaking of the fourth wall here, they're tearing into all the running gags

"running time"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thought he was going to be driving a remote control car like Jorp

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Toni was full on cracking up through this

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gregg was super intense this whole evening, it was like seeing a whole different person

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable split screen/synced version. Gregg's stream was 15-20 seconds behind Hei for me

Same, though toward the end after a break it switched and Gregg was ahead by 15s.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She really flipped out over the rat and he just couldn't comprehend it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah if I mention On Cinema to anybody at random and they go "Never heard of it, what is it?" I just say ".... never mind"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I definitely lost the "cancel culture" bet and I would not have gone for the "state laws making it legal to run over protesters" direction

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The pre-nup/last name subplot will have to pay dividends at some point

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They both feel that they will be personally vindicated if they keep on with their toxic codependent relationship and performatively show off to impartial observers how good they are and how bad the other one is. They're continually chasing the dragon of having someone like Joe say "You know what, you were right all along, and the other guy is a total loser and idiot".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey that pyramid scheme is funding HEI Network thank you very much!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

manuel and axiom are interesting characters. they remind me a lot of the crew that hung around Joe Exotic, in that they are clearly benefitting from their association with Tim, with him funding their lifestyles, but to some extent the closeness isn't totally fabricated. like, axiom probably didn't have to give tim his hand. and i feel like i remember other instances of them showing some genuine concern for tim, that seemed a bit beyond their typical yes-manning.

it wouldn't shock me to learn that tim has control over their immigration status

I've been obsessing over these kind of larger-than-life people and the galaxies of hangers-on that form around them for years now. Joe Exotic, Trump, "Tim", one or two or three guys I know personally — it's a pattern that plays out over and over and people just seem naturally to perpetuate it when it starts to form. It's symbiotic and self-destructive all at once, to say nothing of hugely damaging to everything and everyone around it, except those who are able to ride it and grow fat off it for as long as the emotional ponzi scheme holds out. I really think humanity needs these kinds of open-eyed studies of these Type-A Idiot Geniuses because they're going to be the doom of our species

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And having to hedge back and forth about how i.e. Star Wars was great, but it could have been even greater, except that it was great as is, but

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chairman Capone posted:

I know Tim has talked a lot about how much it bothers him that not only seem to think that he's part of the Satanic deep state but that his works have inadvertently helped fuel those kinds of movements. The most recent QAnon Anonymous episode covered the latest QAnon rally in LA from a couple days ago and the person who organized it directly cited the Child Clown skit as what made him realize the child trafficking adrenochrome cabal is real. And I don't mean that he thought it was meant to be a nod to the cabal or whatever but that he thought it was actual footage of Will Ferrell was keeping kids in cages and dressing them up as clowns and hitting them. It's crazy to me that there are people who are simultaneously online 100% of the time and unable to understand fiction.

Almost makes me nostalgic for the first year or so of Office Hours where it was just Sam Hyde supporters calling in to get into fights with Tim, which was weird on its own.

Dear god. And these people have drivers licenses

With my first exposure to Tim being TGTTM I originally got the impression of him as a passive, long-suffering straight-man to Eric's zany unpredictable clown antics. As that show goes on it seems more and more like he's using it to do something a lot more complicated that I've never really put my finger on — like he's criticizing himself for bottling up his rage at a world that he's too quick to dismiss as all crazies except for him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ingmar terdman posted:

Brule is another stab at this idea - he can be oblivious and petty in the same breath.

I'm guessing here you're pointing at like when one of his guests says something useful or informative and Brule goes "I know" with a sort of dismissive sneer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

- Right Leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lost it at the inset of Axoim when he mentioned "the real Mr. Movies"