Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Welcome everyone to the Poem Dome! A thread for folks to test their lyrical, metaphorical, and evocative wordsmithing and hone their skills in a safe environment.

How to play:

1. The winner of the previous round is the judge.

2. The judge picks a poetry prompt and format. This can be pretty much whatever the judge would like. This prompt will include a deadline to declare participation and a deadline for final submission.

3. Participants declare that they want to participate by posting “I shall participate, good sir and/or madame!” by the participation deadline. People can also volunteer to be one of two backup judges at this time.

4. Participants submit a piece by the submission deadline (usually two weeks after the participation deadline). Their submissions can be whatever they'd like as long as it meets the requirements of the prompt and doesn't break the rules below.

5. The judges will now have up to a week after the submission deadline to review your work, provide critiques to the participants, and pick a winner. (Dis)Honorable Mentions may also be handed out as the judges see fit. THE MAIN JUDGE'S CHOICE OF WINNER IS FINAL!

6. The winner is now the judge and creates a new prompt within 24 hours.

The Rules:

1. The poetry you post must be your own. Stealing other people's work is a real dick move and may result in mod action and/or me PMing swears at you.

2. The poetry you post must be made for the purpose of this contest. If you want a critique of something you've already made consider making a new thread along with a request for a critique.

3. Ghosting on a submission or a critique by the deadline will make people angry. If you have trouble with this consider :toxx:ing yourself for added motivation.

4. Don't include explanations or excuses with your work. Posting how much you think your work sucks is annoying and won't help you get a kinder critique. Besides, even if you do suck you're still far better than all the people too cowardly to participate in the first place and we respect that.

5. Do not argue with the judges about their critique of your work. You can ask for clarity if you'd like but generally the best practice is to just thank them for their time and effort and move on.

6. Critiques should be frank and honest but also polite and constructive. You should never use a critique as an excuse to personally attack someone.

7. Do NOT edit your work after submitting it! Once you post your submission you're done so make sure you fix any issues with your work before taking it public.

8. Be careful with hurtful topics like abuse or violence please. We're here to challenge ourselves and that means working with our own unique creations. However, some themes don’t play well with others. If you’d like to use a potentially offensive or triggering topic please be careful and perhaps PM a mod ahead of time.

9. No erotic material and/or weird fetish BS. This is not me judging you, your sexuality, or your subculture. I simply find sex terrifying and icky and am not ready to leave my comfort bubble at this time. TIA for your understanding.

10. All other forum rules still apply.

I have high hopes for this thread, as evidenced by it's "I want to believe" tag. I :toxx: that I will either judge for or participate in every contest until July 2020. Please come participate and improve (hopefully) your poetry chops!

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
FAQ:

What do I get if I win?
Currently, nothing. It’s slim pickins in the Poem Dome. Eventually if there’s enough participation/interest we might be able to sweet talk Seb into doing something fancy like a gang tag or av. As it is I'm on a bus to Sebmojo's house to become an indentured servant in exchange for sticky-ing the thread.

That said, I will be sponsoring the first two rounds! I, SephiRoth IRA, will personally buy the first two winners a forums upgrade of their choice or will donate $10 to their favorite charity!

Does something happen if I lose?

Nope! The weakest poem might get called out depending on how participants want the game to work; if you want to participate and have some strong opinions, post in the thread or PM me!

The judge picked that lovely poem just because it had a cat in it!

Like art in general, poetry is extremely subjective. Some judges might hate prose poetry with the heat of a white star, while other might love cats. Poetry is especially slippery with regards to what makes a poem “objectively” good. Expect judging to be capricious and whimsical.

How do I get my poem into the computer?

If you have ideas to use fancy typesetting and line breaks or fonts, feel free to scan a picture of your poem! Otherwise typing right into the forums works well. Avoid using tags as it might make inline critiques more difficult.

Are we only allowed to talk about the contest?

You can talk about whatever you'd like but ONLY if you've participated in at least one contest (again, general forum rules apply).

Is smack-talk allowed?

Hell yes. Just be prepared to back up your words with more, better words.

Can I challenge somebody to a one-on-one duel?

Sure, why not. They don't necessarily have to accept your challenge though.

(more to be added as needed)

(All of this was shamefully stolen from readingatwork)

CHALLENGE 1: Haikus!

I’ll start things off by making the first prompt and acting as the first judge.

Haiku is an ancient form of poetry that originated in Japan in the thirteenth century. Over time, the haiku format has evolved from its relatively rigid origins into a somewhat flexible exercise in exploring a single, powerful image in an efficient manner. Taken from poetry.org:

quote:

...the philosophy of haiku has been preserved: the focus on a brief moment in time; a use of provocative, colorful images; an ability to be read in one breath; and a sense of sudden enlightenment.

Haikus frequently are meditations in natural imagery and have a seasonal aspect, although in modern times haikus can be about anything. English language haiku has historically been formatted as three un-rhymed lines following a 5-7-5 syllable count, but modern poets feel haiku is defined by its succinct imagery and is inadequately captured in a rigid syllable count.

Some haiku examples, in English or translated from Japanese

quote:

this piercing cold –
in the bedroom, I have stepped
on my dead wife’s comb
- Yosa Buson

This Autumn midnight
Orion’s at my window
shouting for his dog.
-Carol A. Coiffait

The Prompt:

Write a haiku of one to five stanzas. You do not need to follow the 5-7-5 format. You must use one or more of the following themes or settings:

1. Convey the idea of “depth”
2. This photo
3. Castles
4. Ink
:siren::siren:if you think these prompts suck post about it and maybe we can make it more dynamic and cool!:siren::siren:
Signup Deadline: Monday Nov 18 @ 11:59PM PT

Submission Deadline: Wednesday Nov 20 @ 11:59 PT

As mentioned in the FAQ, I will be sponsoring the first two challenges. The winners will receive a forum upgrade or can have me donate to a charity of their choosing.

If you’d like to help judge, shoot me a PM or post here!

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 13, 2019

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Sounds fun. in

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Put me in

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Look at these sad goons,
About to learn that they suck.
That is; count me in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7-2_gUuWK4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yep, im in

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

In! I'm hella rusty but I can try to throw some words together.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Innit 2 winnit

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
in

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Challenge 1: Haiku - Poet Warriors
1. SlipUp
2. Meinberg
3. Elentor
4. lofi
5. sebmojo
6. Antivehicular
7. flerp
8. Saucy_Rodent
9. Armack
10. Thranguy
11. steeltoedsneakers
12. Jon Joe
13. GenJoe
14. Djeser
15. talusfood
16. Entenzahn

The Avatars of Basho Matsuo (Judges)
1. SephiRoth IRA
2. Weltlich (thank you!)

Thirty posts all say
to turn on my monitor.
A dead, gay forum.

Eight lines are hidden
in a picture of a cat.
I think this is loss?

Elasticity!
I am very impressed.
Did you see the ring?

I post here too much.
I will die in a basement.
My stairs won’t protect me.

Over a keyboard,
a man blubbers as he types;
so many shitposts.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 18, 2019

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
In

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
In

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

In.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
In

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Prompt: photo

digging through old photo albums after the funeral

No one’s in this one
save a reflection, a ghost
of a ghost of a ghost

tossed, lost, forgotten
for artly statued smiles
worthy of binding.

Saucy_Rodent fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 16, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Participants, if you would please post your chosen prompt(s) to help the judges evaluate your poem more effectively, we would appreciate it. Thank you!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prompt: Photo

Someone died somewhere,
And we will never know who.
We may pixel hunt.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Edited just to add prompt, poem unaltered

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
prompt: depth
Depth Displayed

Leaping through the winds
took a push of my legs,
and the hope to fly.

Lifting up the world
took a raising of my arms,
and the want to help.

Living with myself
took a shaking of my body,
and the love to give.

Listening to music
took a moment of my life,
and the will to dance.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we submit more than one Haiku or is that cheating.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
You’re welcome to post additional poems but only the first will be used in the contest.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ink

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
prompt: depth

Ocean shines like slate.
Below, anglerfish lure
shrimp up to the end

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:golfclap: nice

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Practically unfairly nice.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:blush: Ta! It's been something I've loved to watch since I started using a fountain pen, I'd been toying with the idea of doing something based on it, and this was the perfect opportunity.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
hi in

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

in

talusfood
Nov 17, 2019

sprinkled in the void
I shall participate good sir and/or madman.

talusfood
Nov 17, 2019

sprinkled in the void
prompt: Ink

I inked a haiku
and it was irritating --
compressed yet prissy.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
in

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
[redacted for submissions]

Armack fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 23, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
The clock ticks loudly.
I smash it into pieces.
The seconds still pass.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
prompt: ink

Puzzle Pieces

Ink spills, morning breaks,
this is not ars poetica,
just one more cold day,

Sun fades, twilight shatters,
far off memories of night
return like old friends.

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

Purple prose

Write in magenta
safer than the wet, jet black
I will stay light, airy

Black goes down too deep
I could not follow it down
Use the fuschia ink

I'll never be good
I'll never be an artist
But my words are bright

Prompt: ink, depth.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

prompt: deep
Delafield pond, summer

Slanted light falls
down below, down and down into
the algae deep of my fear

I gasp the air, the sun,
the blue. Deep in my throat clings
the green dark still

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Prompt: depth

Now

Yesterday, beneath creation's violent glow
Today, between the extinct and the exalted
Tomorrow, beyond the quintillionth mausoleum

He shoots craps. Hard eight.
He could quit if he wanted
But He's on a roll.

And so,
A second
Flies

Adbot