Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
prompt: depth

Ocean shines like slate.
Below, anglerfish lure
shrimp up to the end

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
An Elegy to a Supernova Down the Street

There is no god, who has become a star, without a companion.
"Shall I be your companion?"

-Unas Pyramid Texts

A star burns not for us.
You burned while we sent you
to that home that would be your pyramid.
You were a star
without a companion, but my father
tried his best to be one as we shuffled you
between beds like

the one in your home, with the sheets
still folded neat, the cloth you hadn't changed
since you moved. And the bed in the home
with the smell of rotting cherries,
where my father forkfed you dry chicken.
The home with the door the front desk
had to open like it was a vault but you have been
empty, burning, full of hydrogen gas

but what happens when there is nothing to burn,
when my uncle and aunt and father around your bed
like teenagers pointing their telescopes like bows
at a star that went supernova so long ago, where there was
always the lingering of light,
lingering of the question,
how long ago did you die?

Was it when I went to your house and you
walked outside and went to mailbox
for the third time that afternoon and you sat
on the front porch in the summer heat and complained
about how cold it was? Was that when
you morphed into that red giant, when your death
expanded so completely
that it sucked in my father, who cried
in the parking lot of the Wienerschnitzel
five minutes from the assisted care facility?
I did not see the moment you died, but,
when you did, did my father breathe in the
last of your helium body and know
there was no way to burn with you?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
To Sheila (I Named Her When I was Four)

The wait for your death was crueler
than your death. The lady at the front desk
smiled when we walked in, asked if the bundle
of orange fur wrapped in the red blanket was her,
as if you were an offering to some Mayan god.
She sent me to a room with two chairs and
I held you close and felt each tug of your breath,
felt each struggling muscle pull your lungs up and down.
It was a mercy, I had to tell myself, to craddle you
deep into my chest, because you were four pounds,
down from six, and that, if I wasn't here
you would be curled in that dog bed
next to the off fireplace, and it was summer
so we couldn't turn it on, even though during the winters
you would sit next to it for hours and bleed this heat
when I touched you. It was hard to not cry
when you dug your head deeper into the blanket,
because I knew what this place was. I did manage
for a time to hold my breath and not cry.

It is winter now and you have been gone for months
and it feels like I am not supposed to be here
in this poem, writing of your death, as if the empty space
where you sat between me and the pillows
was supposed to be so easily filled. You are,
after all, a dog.
Can I tell you the truth? I cried when you died,
when I placed you on that operating table,
when the vet set that needle into your body,
when I moved your body and saw
how your eyelid struggled and resisted,
how the blanket was wrapped underneath your belly,
how your body was still warm but empty
and the vet said, "she's gone," and I didn't want to
but I kept crying and can I keep telling the truth?
I didn't cry when I was told my grandfather died.

You are gone and my mom threw out the beds you slept on
and got another dog who is white not like you
and barks not like you and shoves herself into my arms
not like you. When I feed the new dog, I do not have to tear
the meat because she has all her teeth not like you. It is winter
and it will be spring and then it will be summer
and there will be a divot in the grass where you used to sit
to sink in the heat of the sun. There are still days where I cry,
where I want to not cry, where I do not want to be
this person, crying over a dog, but I am
like a fireplace rolling smoke out of my eyes
and there was a time when you sat there in front of me,
soaked in all of that heat, and I miss those times
where I could say to myself
that when you died, I wouldn't have cried.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Saucy_Rodent posted:

PROOOOOOOOOMPT

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i didnt want to know you were wrong

You said, with your hand on my thigh,
the sun will rise tomorrow.
It is seven AM and dark and you are gone.
Your indent stains my bed.

The sun will rise tomorrow.
Was the way you kissed me a lie too?
Your indent stains my bed,
still lingering like the hickey on my neck.

Was the way you kissed me a lie too?
Your tongue sticky like tequila,
still lingering like the hickey on my neck.
I didn’t know a boy could be so soft.

Your tongue sticky like tequila,
you said, with your hand on my thigh,
I didn’t know a boy could be so soft.
It is seven AM and dark and you are gone.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Week 8: How a Prompt is Chosen

This week, I want you to write a poem in the style of Surrealism. Surrealism is a really cool movement, probably most famous for it's art, but it also has some super cool poetry! If you don't know Surrealism and haven't studied it in art history, I'll give a quick primer. It's basically a style focused on the unconscious and dreams and what they mean. They were very much influenced by Jungian and Freudian psychoanalysis and the like, and so things written in this style are generally written within a "dream logic" where things aren't following everyday, normal logic, but work like, well, dreams. They're very interested in the subconscious, how people's brain works, and how people understand and interpret the world using the hidden parts of their brain. There's a lot more to it than this short little introduction, and it is genuinely a fascinating set of history and art, so I would recommend researching a bit of it too.

If you're looking for poetry, might I suggest basically anything written by James Tate. Or, better yet, you can read one of my favorite poems of his (and one of my favorites of all time), "How the Pope is Chosen".

quote:

How The Pope Is Chosen

Any poodle under ten inches high is a toy.
Almost always a toy is an imitation
of something grown-ups use.
Popes with unclipped hair are called "corded popes."
If a Pope's hair is allowed to grow unchecked,
it becomes extremely long and twists
into long strands that look like ropes.
When it is shorter it is tightly curled.
Popes are very intelligent.
There are three different sizes.
The largest are called standard Popes.
The medium-sized ones are called miniature Popes.
I could go on like this, I could say:
"He is a squarely built Pope, neat,
well-proportioned, with an alert stance
and an expression of bright curiosity,"
but I won't. After a poodle dies
all the cardinals flock to the nearest 7-Eleven.
They drink Slurpies until one of them throws up
and then he's the new Pope.
He is then fully armed and rides through the wilderness alone,
day and night in all kinds of weather.
The new Pope chooses the name he will use as Pope,
like "Wild Bill" or "Buffalo Bill."
He wears red shoes with a cross embroidered on the front.
Most Popes are called "Babe" because
growing up to become a Pope is a lot of fun.
All the time their bodies are becoming bigger and stranger,
but sometimes things happen to make them unhappy.
They have to go to the bathroom by themselves,
and they spend almost all of their time sleeping.
Parents seem incapable of helping their little popes grow up.
Fathers tell them over and over again not to lean out of windows,
but the sky is full of them.
It looks as if they are just taking it easy,
but they are learning something else.
What, we don't know, because we are not like them.
We can't even dress like them.
We are like red bugs or mites compared to them.
We think we are having a good time cutting cartoons out of the paper,
but really we are eating crumbs out of their hands.
We are tiny germs that cannot be seen under microscopes.
When a Pope is ready to come into the world,
we try to sing a song, but the words do not fit the music too well.
Some of the full-bodied popes are a million times bigger than us.
They open their mouths at regular intervals.
They are continually grinding up pieces of the cross
and spitting them out. Black flies cling to their lips.
Once they are elected they are given a bowl of cream
and a puppy clip. Eyebrows are a protection
when the Pope must plunge through dense underbrush

in search of a sheep.

There's also some rumbling about people being frustrated with just being given a style or form and not having any other guiding inspiration, so the reason I gave the whole poem was also because when you sign up, you pick a line from this poem and use it as your inspiration (or you can be asked to be given a line by me/co-judge). You can use the line in any way you see fit, as long as your poem is clearly related to your line. Try to keep it one line per person.

Form can be anything. Free-verse, sonnets, limerick, whatever the hell you feel like. It's the 21st century, do whatever the gently caress you feel like in poetry imo. Also, if you do prose poetry like James Tate has done, that would be super cool. Not saying you HAVE to. Just that, you know, it's really super duper cool.

For length, since "How the Pope is Chosen" is 51 lines long, let's say your poem can't be over 51 lines long. (For clarity's purpose, I consider a line to have words, so a stanza break wouldn't count as one of your 51 lines). If you decide to do a prose poem, keep it under 500 words.

Sign-ups close 1/20 11:59pm PST
Submission close 1/22 11:59pm PST

I highly recommend using this good amount of time to research a little bit about Surrealism.

Judges
me
???
???

Entrants
sephiRoth IRA "They drink Slurpies until one of them throws up"
Saucy_Rodent “but the sky is full of them”
cda "Almost always a toy is an imitation of something grown-ups use."
crimea "What, we don't know, because we are not like them."
Antivehicular "Once they are elected they are given a bowl of cream"
Armack "The medium-sized ones are called miniature Popes"
arbitraryfairy "Some of the full-bodied popes are a million times bigger than us."
Anomalous Amalgam "He is then fully armed and rides through the wilderness alone"
Thranguy "in search of a sheep."

flerp fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 15, 2020

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Fuckin in. Gimme a line!

They drink Slurpies until one of them throws up

Antivehicular posted:

In, line plz

Once they are elected they are given a bowl of cream

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Armack posted:

In. Requesting a line.

The medium-sized ones are called miniature Popes

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

arbitraryfairy posted:

In. Chuck me a line please.

Some of the full-bodied popes are a million times bigger than us.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

In, line please

He is then fully armed and rides through the wilderness alone

Thranguy posted:

In, and line please.

in search of a sheep.

flerp fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 13, 2020

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

rickiep00h posted:

gently caress it I'm not doing anything with this MFA and I know just enough Lorca to be dangerous. I'm in.

Give me a line.

We think we are having a good time cutting cartoons out of the paper

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
forgot but sign ups closed

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
subs closed

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
week 8 judgement

there were some neat ideas this week, but a lot of you got lost in the sauce, so to speak, and it was pretty tough to decipher some of what you guys were going for. thats, of course, the danger of surrealism, but alas, i must decide

winner goes to rickiep00h for having the best surreal poem. i lost the trail of this piece near the end, but the imagery and rhyhtm were spot-on and despite some of it not making sense, it was still a good ride.

hm goes to antivehicular who i think had the best poem, but ducked the surrealism part of this week for, oddly, making too much sense and being too cohesive

loser goes to arbritaryfairy. i like the conceit of this poem (if im understanding it correctly), but it lacks as a poem. it's just a bit too direct, with a pretty boring flow and weak images.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
grass coiled around
hundred or so Coors Light cans
just stay outside please

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
but r u accepting the brawl

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hey actual real serious logistics post

can we please have a consistent submission deadline? at least on the same day (timezones rnt too important unless someone's doing like AUS/EU time), ideally same # of weeks between prompt and submission (aka, it's always the sunday the week the prompt is posted or the sunday afterwards). its been annoying that it's been scattered so much and creating a pattern helps people realize "oh hey wednesday is poemdome day, time to write" vs. "oh god what day of the week was it and how many weeks after was it? i already looked at the prompt like 3 times to check but i cant remember because it always changes" <-- thats me btw im dumb as poo poo.

ideally, id prefer not on sunday as that conflicts w/ thunderdome, but as long as its consistent, i really dont care, but having a standard "this day every time" would help me (and hopefully others) immensely. id also personally prefer if we kept it either every week or every other week consistently rather than sometimes longer, sometimes not

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i dont think setting a strict "judgement this day" is good, just try to do ur best to get it in by 1-2 days after u close submissions (3 at the latest imo), and then winner can prompt up relatively quickly after that

im basically suggesting emulating td but i mean td has been going strong for god knows how long so if it works dont fix it ig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Surrealism crits

also, general hint, this week a lot of people capitalized the start of every line for some reason. this made some of them read more awkwardly than necessary. you dont have to do that. you probably shouldnt

Saucy_Rodent

i think this is a decent attempt at surrealism, and i like the sinister tone this takes as a response to tate’s, but the larger issue with this poem is that the line breaks are just very, very bad. im all for short, abrupt lines and im all for experimentation with different formatting, but it doesnt work in this piece because it causes the poem to read very poorly. esp when u try to read it out loud, it feels very staggered and awkward. it’s almost there to actually work -- some of the interruptions help build up the darker vibe, but too many times it just feels annoying to read, especially out loud.

Thranguy

this is decently fine, but i found myself just thinking, eh. like, it hits surrealism fine, but i wanted more out of this poem. it has some neat lines and ideas, but it doesnt do much with those lines or ideas. it kinda just drops cool ideas but doesnt try to interrogate them in a way to come up with some unique or interesting perspective. it’s nice, but feels a little vacant.

crimea

i think i understood this better than when i first read it, which is fine, poems can be somewhat dense, but i still find myself confused on certain things. i get this is about war and it being bad (which feels somewhat trite, especially given that wading through the obfuscation only leads us towards war = bad which is meh), but i find myself confused on who the speaker is and what exactly he’s talking about. giving us a more clear of the speaker can help us get into their headspace more and make the poem feel more personal.

sephiRoth IRA

i liked “One hundred percent of my life has been filled with violence.” as a conceit to the poem, but i hate it as a line. it completely destroys the ability for the reader to craft their own meaning of the poem, and lays everything out too openly. i have two main issues: one is that i dont think you were able to make your images as sinister as they needed to be to really highlight that life is filled with violence, even if that violence is sanitized. its little too cutesy and silly to really hit right to make us think hey this is kinda bad. the other problem is that, while the images are cool, there’s not a lot of response to the idea. it kinda just plops the idea of a life being dominated by violence, but there isnt much examination of what that kind of life has a person. it just kinda says, yep, that sure is a thing

also cool prose poem :thumbsup:

rickiep00h

this works the strongest as a poem, and i liked a lot of the individual images and ideas here, but it loses the trail near the middle. the skull is cool, but then it talks about three-point lines and something about investing and its like, everything here, independently, is pretty cool and well written, but taken as a whole, i cant quite fit everything together. yeah sure surrealism, but even then, nothing quite fits together, and i cant quite make out a complete understanding of what ur trying to say here. the pieces all here work on their own, but they dont quite fit together into something altogether.

thanks for the prose poem tho :thumbsup:

Antivehicular

there’s a lot of ideas in here i like. the never-cats are cool, and the idea of being haunted by cats that arent exactly sinister is great. a lot of the images are really nice too. i think the only thing is i wanted a little bit more pushing of the ideas, since it kinda felt like, while this is a piece full of good images, it doesnt quite do much else. it kinda just drops these cool images in these laps, and there’s some decent lines that pull at deeper meaning, i.e. “Cotton, you’re the first thing i ever mourned”, but i think u could push this concept a lil bit harder to pull at something larger than just “ghost cats”

good prose poem :thumbsup:

arbitaryfairy

i actually like the conceit of this poem, and even the title kinda made me go errr what? i actually think its not as tasteless as i thought it would be. i like it as a sort of metaphor of teaching something socially inept how to deal with social situations. the main problem is that it fails as a poem. there arent many images and the flow is kinda all over the place, and a poem, to me, is not just about the ideas, but also how the words fit together, and the words are kinda haphazardly thrown together in a way that it makes it difficult to read. i will say my biases lean towards very image-based poems, but even outside of those biases, i think the overall flow of the piece kills it for me, and there isnt much redeeming factors besides having a nice conceit.

cda

every time i tried to do crits i would hit a wall with this poem because i find myself at mostly a loss for what to say so let’s just start. i just dont rly get it -- i think there’s some linking between consumerism/products to childbirth, but i cant quite catch the line of logic here, and it sort of shifts settings very rapidly because there’s descriptions of malls, but then delivery rooms, so i find myself mostly confused with this. idk, i feel like im not quite sure what exactly is going on her, and there’s not enough cool images to keep me engrossed without understanding what’s going on that i feel like im mostly at a loss for what u were trying to go for, sorry

Anomalous Amalgam

i was quite a fan of your first stanza, but it fell apart in the second because u just stopped giving me things to latch onto. “Dress up the porcelain caricature of your best self. / Tell simple lies that snowball into permanent falsehoods. / Let those lies permeate the everchanging tides of our fragility.” are much too vague lines that feel like theyre trying to say a lot but end up not being effective since theyre so vague. the flow between lines is pretty awkward through the first and second stanzas -- theyre all one sentence, which makes each line feel very abrupt, while the two lines that are on sentence “Grime encrusted rayon tunics knit by well-wishing relatives / Can be found for a steal at your local thrift store.” still feels abrupt for some reason, my brain always wants to make a hard stop on after “relatives” which fucks with the flow. overall, i think there’s a good effort here, but some poetic flaws keep it from really working.