Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prompt: Photo

Someone died somewhere,
And we will never know who.
We may pixel hunt.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we submit more than one Haiku or is that cheating.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Elentor – Untitled (prompt: photo)
Not sure where you were going with this. Possibly a meta commentary on Epstein’s suicide? I kid. I think you touch on an interesting idea, asking questions about people who die who aren’t on the public radar (or even those who don’t merit a police investigation or have people who look for them). I’m not sure if that’s what you were going for, though. “Pixel hunt” is lost on me, and it seems really disconnected from the rest of the haiku.
6/15

When I was a kid and lived in the slums a very traumatic memory I have is of the necklacing smell. I used to look down on the city below and the skyscrapers from a PoV similar to that photo and wonder about the lives of the people in the buildings. Someday I realized that no matter how clean it looked, there was still violence in it, it was just invisible from afar. This was around the time where games had a lot of pixel hunting in them (essentially looking for very small details) and I found that to be interesting, so what I tried to do is fantasize that if I played where's waldo enough with city pictures, I could find something, like a detective. Something no one else saw because they only saw it for a city picture.

I never found anything, but whenever there are reports nowadays of people finding something on Google Maps, part of me feels, in a strange way, vindicated.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's fair, thanks for the C&C.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, I'm in.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Last Ennui

"It is best of all for mortals not to be born and not to look upon the rays of the piercing sun,
but once born it is best to pass the gates of Hades as quickly as possible and to lie under a large heap of earth."
- Theognis, Elegiac Poems, 425–28

I shy not of the dreams wrought in the sleep of death,
but that death may bring sleep, rather than the nothing we are due.

Alas, there is no direction in time,
where we may shoot an arrow and,
in blind optimism, dare to hope
to hit the mark of final ignorance:

For I'd be a fool to trust the kindness of entropy,
if the vast nature of the past delayed not our misery.

As such it may be only under a heap of earth,
but alive, that we may find solace,
lest infinity catch up again,
and in doing so bless us with life anew -

And in pondering the ennui of that eternity,
I suffer more to think the innumerable torments of a short life.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gangtags are always nice

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Shoutting incoherently in the background OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 12, 2019