Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cnut
May 3, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I don’t think they taste as good as legos. :munch:

CB, as the Snack King (or is it Snatch King? Or both?) I trust your taste buds over mine any day. However, Ima go with the K'NEX, sorry taste buds!

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Get the k'ids some k'nex.

I'm on it :hmmyes:

Beef Thief posted:

The poor kid in our neighborhood had the giant rollercoaster set. I remember the first time I saw it, he built it in his living room with the TV that was much smaller than ours. It was next to the non working fireplace and the end of it twisted back to the hand me down couch where his dad sat. His dad would pick up the car and toss it back at him. Hours of fun. We had a blast for days on end and because his set was so big we could craft countless items as we'd tear it down and rebuild things.

His was a household where dishes were constantly piled in the sink causing an awful smell to linger. His older brother had started a small fire on the kitchen floor once that badly damaged the linoleum, but rather than replace it they just tore it all up a stuck with the subflooring. Nevermind that the cat is pissing and making GBS threads everywhere, that improved the smell.

I was jealous of him. Me, the kid who's parents cleaned, had a big screen TV, who had a Sega and an SNES, and had nice clean clothes to wear. Don't buy OP, K'NEX cause unbalance in the world. Make things right and buy these poor kids something worthy of their status. Send them a stack of old newspapers to make boats out of so they can play in the gutter where they belong.

Trash Ops posted:

No one will ever read this

I read all of it :colbert:

I don't have any old newspapers so I'm going with K'NEX :hai:

A Fancy Hat posted:

K'Nex ruled as a kid, I built an Eiffel Tower once and my parents were convinced I was some kind of genius (sorry Mom and Dad) and took a bunch of pictures that they showed off to everybody. You could also build a roller coaster but we never had the money for that set, and every time I tried building it myself it never worked (I think that set came with bendy pieces to build the track).

When I was in middle school my brother and I would build insane weapons and beat the poo poo out of each other with them, still cool but in a different way.

Cool story, AFH!

zooted heh posted:

I hated knex and Legos as a kid cuz I have no creative bone in my body. I couldn't even do the Lego instructions so I'd be pretty pissed if I was a poor 8 to 10 year old and I got a bunch of plastic sticks and poo poo for xmas.

I'm willing to take the chance that a K'NEX kit finds a creative 8-10 year old :pray:

Jables88 posted:

If any of the kids react to their K'NEX like this, please confiscate it and contact the authorities.

:yeah:

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Legos are better and much cooler with a more logical system to it, but K'NEX were fun too as a kid and the kids you're donating toys to will love it. Go for it, bro!

It will be done! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

cnut posted:

It's a good choice and you are a good person.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Beef Thief posted:

It's a good choice and you are a good person.

Thanks, buddy :respek:

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
"oh boy knex." :what:

*loses pieces first day*

It's a nice gesture and you're very kind but buy some action figures and barbies.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah knex fuckin owns and i also read the long post about the poor kid

cnut
May 3, 2016

Talked to a lady friend with grand kids the ages I'm looking at and she suggests craft kits for the girls. Though they are still welcome to build something evil with the K'NEX! :devil:

cnut
May 3, 2016

zooted heh posted:

"oh boy knex." :what:

*loses pieces first day*

It's a nice gesture and you're very kind but buy some action figures and barbies.

I think I just might. Wanna buy stuff on sale to maximize the gifts.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Trash Ops posted:

No one will ever read this

:lol:

I read every word.

:negative:

Also, OP any construction toy will make an 8-11 year old beam with little kid joy. K'nex is a p good choice.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

When you have a lot of K'NEX pieces it scratches that OCD itch worse than using Q-Tips in The Forbidden Manner.

Start with a circle piece, put a bunch of the same connector piece in every slot, attach some random piece to every single one of the connector pieces, and keep building a big beautiful perfectly symmetric HRNG.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cnut posted:

CB, as the Snack King (or is it Snatch King? Or both?) I trust your taste buds over mine any day. However, Ima go with the K'NEX, sorry taste buds!

I'm on it :hmmyes:

I read all of it :colbert:

Cool story, AFH!

I'm willing to take the chance that a K'NEX kit finds a creative 8-10 year old :pray:

:yeah:

It will be done! :dance:

You can eat all the k’nex you want, it’s a free country. :clint:

cnut
May 3, 2016

You can eat all the k’nex you want, it’s a free country. :clint:

:hmmyes: Maybe I'll include a bottle of hot sauce with every box :thunk:

cnut
May 3, 2016

Literally A Person posted:

Also, OP any construction toy will make an 8-11 year old beam with little kid joy. K'nex is a p good choice.

Thanks, LAP.

cnut
May 3, 2016

revwinnebago posted:

When you have a lot of K'NEX pieces it scratches that OCD itch worse than using Q-Tips in The Forbidden Manner.

Start with a circle piece, put a bunch of the same connector piece in every slot, attach some random piece to every single one of the connector pieces, and keep building a big beautiful perfectly symmetric HRNG.

LOL, I think it's good if there is an evil component to the K'NEX

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

on the fast track to painting warhams figures and building model train sets.

it's what goons love.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm concerned OP, don't strain something patting your back.

cnut
May 3, 2016

zooted heh posted:

on the fast track to painting warhams figures and building model train sets.

it's what goons love.

Oh poo poo, not more goons :eng99:

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Of all the shitposting to come from LAP, this is by far the least shitposty, and in fact not shitpost. Listen to him. Buy it. Post photo please so my miserable life may have a glimpse of holiday joy knowing some kid will have a good holiday season.

cnut
May 3, 2016

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm concerned OP, don't strain something patting your back.

:fuckoff:

cnut
May 3, 2016

Beef Thief posted:

Of all the shitposting to come from LAP, this is by far the least shitposty, and in fact not shitpost. Listen to him. Buy it. Post photo please so my miserable life may have a glimpse of holiday joy knowing some kid will have a good holiday season.

Will do , Beef Thief.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

"I talked to an old boomer and asked them what type of toys kids like and they said educational craft kits."

cnut
May 3, 2016

zooted heh posted:

"I talked to an old boomer and asked them what type of toys kids like and they said educational craft kits."

I never had a sister let alone kids or grand kids. Other than dolls I have no idea what they might like. I do know her granddaughter loved doing crafts, though. I saw it with me own eyes!!!!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Don't be a gender conformist OP

K'nex for the boys, AND the girls

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Polio Vax Scene posted:

HELL YEAH!

Girls always get the worst loving toys. Apparently Mattel believes that part of being a girl is having to watch boys have more fun than you which frankly is pretty messed the gently caress up.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cnut posted:

:hmmyes: Maybe I'll include a bottle of hot sauce with every box :thunk:

Definitely gives it a little extra something when you poop them out. :haibrow:

cnut
May 3, 2016

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I'll be leaning heavily on the K'NEX sets because they are such a good deal but it's not up to me where they go. I hope some find their way to girls for sure!

cnut
May 3, 2016

Definitely gives it a little extra something when you poop them out. :haibrow:

Sharp edges and hot sauce, lmao.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

HELL YEAH!

Girls always get the worst loving toys. Apparently Mattel believes that part of being a girl is having to watch boys have more fun than you which frankly is pretty messed the gently caress up.

Lego has gradually realized both girls and boys love to build things, so now you can walk into Target or the Lego store these days and pick up a Cinderella or Elsa castle for your daughter or niece. Or a loving robot or spaceship. It doesn't matter because Legos own! Brings a smile to my face, considering how stupidly marketed Legos were to BOYS ONLY back in the day when I was a kid. :)

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 14, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Beef Thief posted:

The poor kid in our neighborhood had the giant rollercoaster set. I remember the first time I saw it, he built it in his living room with the TV that was much smaller than ours. It was next to the non working fireplace and the end of it twisted back to the hand me down couch where his dad sat. His dad would pick up the car and toss it back at him. Hours of fun. We had a blast for days on end and because his set was so big we could craft countless items as we'd tear it down and rebuild things.

His was a household where dishes were constantly piled in the sink causing an awful smell to linger. His older brother had started a small fire on the kitchen floor once that badly damaged the linoleum, but rather than replace it they just tore it all up a stuck with the subflooring. Nevermind that the cat is pissing and making GBS threads everywhere, that improved the smell.

I was jealous of him. Me, the kid who's parents cleaned, had a big screen TV, who had a Sega and an SNES, and had nice clean clothes to wear. Don't buy OP, K'NEX cause unbalance in the world. Make things right and buy these poor kids something worthy of their status. Send them a stack of old newspapers to make boats out of so they can play in the gutter where they belong.

christ almighty

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I had that there big ball factory when I was a kid. I want to play with it right now.

There are some connections that rival 2 flat piece legos, in terms of fingertip-busting inseparability.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
I had one of the rollercoaster versions. I spent hours building the drat thing and the track wouldnt even connect to itself when I finished it.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

When I was a kid I had these weird off-brand things that essentially had lego studs on one side and poorly-working knex attachment points on the other. It worked hilariously poorly, but I do remember spending hours trying to make structures that actually leveraged the different attributes, but most of the time it just broke at the interconnects.

So what I'm saying is go find those poor kids a box of those janky compatibility devices and don't get them either toy it connects to.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I had a huge box of k'nex when i was a kid that poo poo rules.

One of them was like a big roller coaster thing you could build and the other was a like 6 foot tall tower with a track for a ball to roll down, it was awesome. I bet that stuff would cost like $300 now though if it's anything like lego.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Knex were fun as gently caress as a kid, they were like lego+

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nooner posted:

Knex were fun as gently caress as a kid, they were like lego+

Reported

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cnut posted:

Sharp edges and hot sauce, lmao.

In your toy box, sanding you’re legos. :hmmyes:

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

OP, K'nex definitely owns. My dad and I built a big tower crane powered by rubber bands and gears with the little K'nex motor it came with and it was a blast and picked up a surprising mount of weight. I think he still has it assembled in storage at his house.

What I'm saying is I think my dad bought it more for himself than me, but that's just how much K'Nex kicks rear end.

Edit: Looking at the box the OP posted it seems like was designed to show every item that would make a 7-12 year old go wild. Dinosaurs, helicopters, cars!!!

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
k'nex now has a rollercoaster with an app. An app!!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

luchajones posted:

k'nex now has a rollercoaster with an app. An app!!!!!

An app?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I thought k'nex sucked when I was a kid, but that's probably because I had a whole lot of LEGO™ and relatively few k'nex.

You can't build anything cool with k'nex until you have enough of 'em to make a functional rubber band rifle. Anything you make is gonna look like a stupid popsickle-stick project, so they're not good unless whatever you make does something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I had the original (I think) K'Nex set as a kid and I loved it. It's harder than Lego to come up with your own designs, though, and I mostly recreated the designs they had in the book. Later I had the first roller coaster model they released and the car would not make it through the loop no matter what I did. The newer roller coaster versions seem to be much more functional.