Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

would you guys eat rear end in 1308? I dont think i would as a time traveller

rear end eaters would probably like it even better, because less hygiene and more poop residue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

JoshGuitar posted:

rear end eaters would probably like it even better, because less hygiene and more poop residue.

That depends entirely on where you're going. There were Hygiene problems, but a lot of them weren't because it was "old times". But for weirder reasons. Some people in England and other parts of Europe had this weird loving thing where they decided that Bathhouse = Place Of Sin And Sex = Baths Are Bad.

Plenty of other places were perfectly hygienic and full of people who thought being clean was good. Slavs were already sitting around in steam rooms and whacking themselves with birch branches.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Barudak posted:

Whatever you do do not read the book A World Lit Only by Fire for your information on this topic. It features entire sections on this topic and has the chutzpah to claim people in 1308 not only didnt understand the concept of time but that they didnt realize they were individuals with separate cognition.

Yeah, that book sounds like a pile of horseshit.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Let's spend some time pondering the polish plait.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_plait

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Shbobdb posted:

Let's spend some time pondering the polish plait.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_plait

this is really interesting

here's another medieval example of tangling (maybe):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Rat kings are an interesting one because they still happen. It's most often seen with baby squirrels these days since their tails are furry and hence are more likely to get stuck together.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Those are all named after the old Germanic gods and used in most of the Germanic languages depending on how much they have been influences by Latin.

I thought Tuesday came from "Deus," the generic Latin word for God, which is probably from the Proto Indo-European name for a supreme sky god.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sailor Cat posted:

I thought Tuesday came from "Deus," the generic Latin word for God, which is probably from the Proto Indo-European name for a supreme sky god.

the name is old enough that it's the same root, but it's a specific dude:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/tuesday

(sort of like how "grass" and "grow" sound alike for etymological reasons)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

the name is old enough that it's the same root, but it's a specific dude:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/tuesday

(sort of like how "grass" and "grow" sound alike for etymological reasons)

Also note how in the Romance languages the day is named for Mars. It also becomes apparent when you look at some of the Scandinavian languages, for instance in Norwegian it's "Tirsdag" which makes the connection to "Tyr" specifically pretty clear.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

JoshGuitar posted:

This man here has never eaten an rear end in his life.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

For shame

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just go down to the local lake, do a little skinny dipping and then eat some rear end

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

Why swim in the sewer when there's a perfectly good pool an inch away? :shrug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNXDXNOKlo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JoshGuitar posted:

Why swim in the sewer when there's a perfectly good pool an inch away? :shrug:

Mods? MODS?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Numa Pompilius wasn't stabbed.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

sort of, op!

some ppl call it 1:08 pm

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
One might ruin the joke by pointing out that the Romans originally moved the start of the year to January in 153 BC, as far as we know. So several generations too early to blame Gaius Julius Caesar.

(Apparently they moved it around a few times, mostly for short-sighted reasons such as allowing that year's consuls to take office sooner, or whatever.)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, that book sounds like a pile of horseshit.

Wait until you hear about the Phantom Time Hypothesis.

quote:

The phantom time hypothesis is a historical conspiracy theory asserted by Heribert Illig. First published in 1991, it hypothesizes a conspiracy by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III, Pope Sylvester II, and possibly the Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII, to fabricate the Anno Domini dating system retrospectively, in order to place them at the special year of AD 1000, and to rewrite history to legitimize Otto's claim to the Holy Roman Empire. Illig believed that this was achieved through the alteration, misrepresentation and forgery of documentary and physical evidence. According to this scenario, the entire Carolingian period, including the figure of Charlemagne, is a fabrication, with a "phantom time" of 297 years (AD 614–911) added to the Early Middle Ages.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That depends entirely on where you're going. There were Hygiene problems, but a lot of them weren't because it was "old times". But for weirder reasons. Some people in England and other parts of Europe had this weird loving thing where they decided that Bathhouse = Place Of Sin And Sex = Baths Are Bad.

Actually a lot of it was because even in Roman times, plagues and other outbreaks would lead to doctors ordering officials to shut down the bath houses to stop the spread of infection (which is true), and eventually during the Black Death bath houses were shuttered entirely because if it worked back then...

It isn't true that Western European people were just filthy and unwashed their whole lives though; they just washed themselves using buckets of water with rags or sponges. That Spanish queen who is said to have bragged about never having a bath in her life was in all likelihood referring to the fact that her servants scrubbed her down and she never had to do it herself. Or she may have been joking, or just as likely, she didn't actually say it at all.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
While Thursday stems from Thors Day, the modern name of "Donnerstag" means "Thunders Day", which is also awesome while still hinting at Thor.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

While Thursday stems from Thors Day, the modern name of "Donnerstag" means "Thunders Day", which is also awesome while still hinting at Thor.

It doesn't hint at Thor's name. The word for thunder is literally derived from Thor's name. Thor/Tor is the Scandinavian version, in other Germanic languages he's Donner/Donar (and I believe the Old English name was something like this, remember it's not really the Norse gods, but the Germanic gods, pre-Christian Anglo-Saxons and other Germanic people also worshipped roughly the same gods, what we know of the Norse version of the pantheon just comes from way later usually).

Anyway, we talked about this. It's the result of the Germanic peoples adopting the Roman week and substituting their own gods (with roughly similar characteristics) for the Roman gods for the names of the week.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 5, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Which in turn was adopted from the Greeks. It's all very cool.

Also who the gently caress thinks "Thunder's day" just mildly hints at Thor. C'mon guy.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Beef City posted:

Also who the gently caress thinks "Thunder's day" just mildly hints at Thor. C'mon guy.

I think he's saying it's a direct reference to Thor

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

immortalyawn posted:

:words:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I knew as soon as I started reading that the writer was gonna be put on probation by the end. I call it my sixth sense.

on topic what did people even give thanks for before americans' thanks giving

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Harvest.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

alexandriao posted:

on topic what did people even give thanks for before americans' thanks giving

I'll go for the low hanging fruit on this one:

Probably America not existing :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Groke posted:

One might ruin the joke by pointing out that the Romans originally moved the start of the year to January in 153 BC, as far as we know. So several generations too early to blame Gaius Julius Caesar.

(Apparently they moved it around a few times, mostly for short-sighted reasons such as allowing that year's consuls to take office sooner, or whatever.)