Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hats are pretty cool, right guys
Hey folks, this is the second LP in a series. The first, Let's Play Advance Wars, can be found here, which should provide some context as to how we do things. Basically I'm playing through the game whilst trying to lose as few soldiers as possible, a la Fire Emblem, like I did with the last one. The name of my player character in the first LP was 'my dude', and even though there's no named player in Advance Wars 2, he still shows up regardless...

Updates are every Friday, and each update contains an additional link leading to some extra content, usually conversations between characters and the like. A full soldier list is linked below. Enjoy!

Interview 0 - "Contents"

Some people are universal constants; though many people exist in alternate universes, universal constants are different in the sense that they can exist in ANY universe, not just universes from the same cluster. They appear everywhere, with no rhyme or reason to their existence - note that just because they can exist in any universe, it doesn’t mean they do. Some universal constants include a red-haired expert saleswoman called Anna, a web-slinging do-gooder called Spiderman, the scientist Rick and his grandson Morty, and an outspoken but charismatic tactician called my dude.

My dudes have a tradition that they call Dudecon: every year, they get together for a wild night of partying in a sub-dimension with one another. In order to tell each other apart, they all go by nicknames based on their role or original universe. Commander (that’s me), Persona, Dragonborn, Professor, Scout… every my dude has a nickname. More importantly: every my dude is aware that the others exist.

“Beginning recording. Interview zero, with subject “my dude”. Identifying name: Commander.”

My eyes open blearily, and I find myself sat at an empty table in a boxy room. The room is quite dark, with only a dim light far up on the ceiling; it illuminates the place just enough for me to see the girl opposite me. She’s serious-looking, with long white hair, a pale face, and a pack of playing cards in her hand.

“Wh-what?” I mutter.

“You are the my dude of the Advance Wars universe, correct?” asks the girl.

“Uh, I’m my dude.” I reply. “What’s this about Advanced War universes?”

“Don’t play dumb with me. You know what a universal constant is.” the girl snaps.

“Fine, fine. Yeah, I’m the my dude from Wars World.” I reply, putting my hands up in a gesture of goodwill. The girl nods in satisfaction.

“Commander, right?”

“That’s what the others call me. I have some kind of vague leadership position.” I reply. “What’s this about, anyway? And who are you?”

The girl shrugs. “I suppose it would help to inform you. My name is Ruin; Omniversal Police, Constancy Division. Universal constants can be dangerous, and it’s my job to monitor them.”

“Uh, right.” I reply. “Some kind of universe-hopping detective, then?”

“Effectively.” Ruin replies. “I have taken special interest in the universal constants calling themselves ‘my dude', however.”

“Why?”

“Well, to put it simply, Commander,” Ruin says, leaning back in her chair as she tosses the pack of playing cards between her hands. Back and forth, back and forth... “A my dude has been murdered, and I believe the culprit was another my dude.”

Orange Star Barracks
Blue Moon Barracks
Yellow Comet Barracks
Green Earth Barracks

Orange Star
Interview 1 - “Whilst You Were Away" (Or, “Backstreet’s Back”)
Interview 1 Bonus
Interview 2 - “Defending The Border” (Or, “Someone Who Doesn’t loving Suck”)
Interview 2 Bonus
Interview 3 - “Mounting Resistance” (Or, “I Don’t Think Max Knows What An Ocean Is”)
Interview 3 Bonus
Interview 4 - “A Risky Strategy” (Or, “Michael’s Life Is Valuable, Dammit”)
Interview 4 Bonus
Interview 5 - “The Black Cannon” (Or, “The Only Thing Better Than One Medium Tank”)
Interview 5 Bonus
Interview 6 - "Sami's Secret Agenda" (Or, "Mother loving Planes")
Interview 6 Bonus
Interview 7 - “Battle On The Bridge” (Or, “Well, We Couldn’t Escape Fog Of War Forever…”)
Interview 7 Bonus
Interview 8 - “Flak’s Last Stand” (Or, “The Unstoppable Urge To Just Bomb The gently caress Out Of Things”)
Interview 8 Bonus

Blue Moon
Interview 9 - “Prelude To Chaos” (Or, “Boris Will Choke This Point”)
Interview 9 Bonus
Interview 10 - “The Snows Of Combat” (Or, “Stop Shooting My loving Rockets”)
Interview 10 Bonus
Interview 11 - “Into The Adder’s Nest” (Or, “Now I Am Become Grit”)
Interview 11 Bonus
Interview 12 - “The Backlash” (Or, “Did Blue Moon Just Steal My Strategy?”)
Interview 12 Bonus
Interview 13 - “Colin’s First Test” (Or, “The All-Consuming Power Of Money”)
Interview 13 Bonus
Interview 14 - “Dimitri’s Fury” (Or, “Please Stop Saying Princess”)
Interview 14 Bonus
Interview 15 - “Fifteen Days To Die” (Or, “The Dream Team We Didn’t Know We Needed”)
Interview 15 Bonus
Interview 16 - “Cutting It Fine” (Or, “Some Tragic And Completely Avoidable Sacrifices”)
Interview 16 Bonus
Interview 17 - “A Creative Strategy” (Or, “What The gently caress Is Wrong With You, Lash?”)
Interview 17 Bonus
Interview 18 [Part 1] - "The Children Of Blue Moon” (Or, “Dipshit’s Redemption Arc”)
Interview 18 [Part 2] - "The Children Of Blue Moon" (Or, "Dipshit's Redemption Arc")
Interview 18 Bonus

Yellow Comet
Interview 19 - “The Desolate Flower” (Or, “Bro Copters To The Max”)
Interview 19 Bonus
Interview 20 - “Skirmish On The Shores” (Or, “Rose’s Rampage”)
Interview 20 Bonus
Interview 21 - “Desperate Struggle” (Or, “The Sonja Is On The Other Foot Now”)
Interview 21 Bonus
Interview 22 - “Fortress Assault” (Or, “All Copters Are Bastards”)
Interview 22 Bonus
Interview 23 - “Orange Alliance” (Or, “A Very Tiny Opening Gambit”)
Interview 23 Bonus
Interview 24 - “Island Of The Damned” (Or, “Cruise Control”)
Interview 24 Bonus
Interview 25 - “A Trap, Sprung” (Or, “The Biggest Dick Energy Of All”)
Interview 25 Bonus
Interview 26 - “In Broken Glass” (Or, “Where The Hell Is Von Panzer When You Need Him?”)
Interview 26 Bonus
Interview 27 - “Calling In The Cavalry” (Or, “A Veritable Dudestorm”)
Interview 27 Bonus
Interview 28 - “The Tides Turn” (Or, “This Many Bombers Should Be Illegal”)
Interview 28 Bonus
Interview 29 - “Naval Nightmare” (Or, “Bote Fight”)
Interview 29 Bonus
Interview 30 - “Unity” (Or, “Dipshit Finally Uses His Super CO Power”)
Interview 30 Bonus

Green Earth
Interview 31 - “Mulligan’s Secret Mission” (Or, “The Boys Are Back”)
Interview 31 Bonus
Interview 32 - “Sunk Cost” (Or, “A Newfound Respect For Anti-Airs”)
Interview 32 Bonus
Interview 33 - “A Foggy Fracas” (Or, “The King Of Boring-But-Functional”)
Interview 33 Bonus
Interview 34 - “Drake Under Fire” (Or, “The Mother Of All Bote Maps”)
Interview 34 Bonus
Interview 35 - “Steel From Both Sides” (Or, “Hawke Fights An 11-Year-Old”)
Interview 35 Bonus
Interview 36 - “Flight Over The Ocean” (Or, “There Is No Problem Six Bombers Cannot Solve”)
Interview 36 Bonus
Interview 37 - “The Rescue Mission” (Or, “Transports. Supply trucks. Distractions.”)
Interview 37 Bonus
Interview 38 - “Jess’ Hit Squad” (Or, “I, Too, Am A Connoisseur Of Lava”)
Interview 38 Bonus
Interview 39 - “Christmas In Wars World"
Interview 40 - “The Air Descends” (Or, “Cruisers Still Aren’t Good”)
Interview 40 Bonus
Interview 41 - “Pushing Forward” (Or, “Hallelujah, It’s Raining Mechs”)
Interview 41 Bonus
Interview 42 - “Her” (Or, “You Cannot Be loving Serious Right Now, Shut Up”)
Interview 42 Bonus
Interview 43 [Part 1] - “The Final Blow” (Or, “Incredibly Stressful Planes”)
Interview 43 [Part 2] - “The Final Blow” (Or, “Incredibly Stressful Planes”)
Interview 43 Bonus

Black Hole
Interview 44 - “Sturm’s Botening Gambit”
Interview 44 Bonus
Interview 45 - “I Just Kept Facetanking And It Just Kept Working”
Interview 45 Bonus
Interview 46 - “The Night Before”
Interview 47 - “Let’s See How Far We’ve Come"
Interview 47 Bonus
Interview 48 - “Slightly More Desperate Than I Was Intending”
Interview 48 Bonus
Interview 49 - “Their Finest Hour: Results”
Interview 50 - “Credits"

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Interview 1 - "Whilst You Were Away" (Or, "Backstreet's Back")

Hey, it's- wait, I don't recognise that guy on the left.

Finally, Advance Wars has "old man" representation, thank god.

Is that new person just carrying an entire artillery shell?

Are you going to make unhelpful comments the entire time, Commander?

Well, yeah, it's kind of my whole thing.

Well, that spoils the plot a bit.

Sturm. My old nemesis. He looks somewhat more threatening this time around.

The "robot snifit" look wasn't working for him.

BOY I WONDER WHAT NUMBER GAME THIS IS

Can we at least have a passing relationship with the fourth wall for the purposes of this interrogation, Commander?

Fine, but can you call me "my dude"? I only use Commander when there's multiple my dudes around.

Acceptable terms. Fine.

Oh, all my old friends are back. We have DYANDY

SAMISA

And fan-favourite MAXMAX

Presentation is key.

You won't know these foes. They're Black Hole COs.

I thought Sturm ran Black Hole? Ooh, she's cute.

...Did you think one man ran the entire invading force of Black Hole?

Well, when you say it like THAT, it sounds stupid.

That was exciting. Right, continue with your story.

So, let me see if I have the timeline straight. You defeated Sturm, remained in Orange Star for a year, then disappeared. Six months later, the conflict began once more.

That's about right, yeah.

Mere weeks before the conflict began, you had the yearly Dudecon, where all the my dudes meet up. One of them died that night.

...Right.

The conflict lasted for six months, and during those six months, I was searching for you so I could question you. So, two years after your initial victory over Sturm... here we are.

Here we are.

OK. I'll note this down. Now then, as I said, I was searching for your sweetheart, Nell.

"Your sweetheart, Nell”. You... know that’s Sturm, right?

Kindly shut up. I encountered this schemer whilst searching for Nell, and what he was saying was relevant to the upcoming conflict.

You know, "world domination" is a clear objective but it's not terribly exciting as villainous motivations go.

Oh, it wasn't world domination. I stand corrected.

"Making a base to more easily dominate the world" isn't too much of a difference, in your defence.

Yeah, thanks to me, bitch! God, that victory felt so good.

"I will use their own technique against them: buying a million medium tanks!"

That was an atrocious Sturm impression.

Hey, it's not like there's a Darth Vader mask in this room, I have to make do with what I've got.

You certainly had quite a lot of money when I last saw you, dickhead! Friggin' 28 thousand per turn...

Oh, I probably should've asked this earlier, but I haven't been in the universe since this whole conflict broke out. Black Hole DID lose, right?

You'll find out at the end of the story. And I will only keep telling the story if you tell me what you were doing on the night of Dudecon.

Siiiiiiigh.

Oh god Dipshit's back

His name is Andy.

Dipshit until proven Andy!

I feel like that's quite believable. Sturm literally said he was going to come back.

He does raise a good point. You beat him quite soundly.

Hell yeah, I did.

I've actually not visited continents outside of Cosmo Land. This should be interesting if the bulk of the war takes place in Macro Land.

They really ought to just be quiet and let Sami explain.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME, DIPSHIT

I... must admit, I had forgotten about that lapse in intelligence.

WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT A GOD drat CONTINENT IS?

So this is why you call him Dipshit.

Yeah, because he's the dumbest motherfucker alive.

Man, it’s like the opposite of character development. If anything, I think he’s gotten stupider.

You know that’s not a word, right?

Thank god we still have Captain Competent.

Thanks for the brief reminder of what the other countries are called, Max. Really needed that, it's pretty hard to remember four countries.

Noooooo, they're probably just loving watching Black Hole march in and take over their countries. What the hell is wrong with everyone? Did everything go to poo poo when I left?

I'm going to kill this loving kid.

Perhaps not the wisest thing to say whilst being interviewed for a murder.

Besides, he got what was coming to him.

Y'know, I can almost get behind that. I do miss my old army buddies. I mean, the COs were a bunch of useless morons, but the soldiers were all excellent.

You'll be pleased to hear that your soldiers share the sentiment. After the conflict with Black Hole ended, they were all sent to different army bases. They missed each other a lot, but quite a few of them also mentioned missing you. You're quite important to them, it seems.

God, stop, Ruin, I'm gonna start tearing up. Miss you, little bros...

Even at the time I couldn't figure out whether this was a comment about death or not. Max might secretly be quite nihilistic.

Hey, I was the one who mastered the "optimistic yet realistic" pre-battle attitude! Not that loving shambles of a CO.

no

NO

What? I thought you'd be pleased to hear from Nell.

If she's about to start tutorialising, I am walking out of here.

The door's locked, I'm afraid.

Oh, gently caress off.

I have a map of Wars World here for you to look at. When I arrived, I was about here - this was where the first conflict between Orange Star and Black Hole occurred.

Alright, let's do it.

Oh gently caress it's a bell-end in a hat.

The rumours are true, I see. You really do say every inane thing that comes into your head, don't you?

Hey, it keeps people entertai-

whaT THE gently caress IS THAT

The enemy soldiers do have quite an unearthly quality.

Never mind unearthly, it's downright unholy and I hate it

aaaaaaaaaa

Quit your whining and pay attention to what they're saying.

He's not even saying anything at the moment.

Ugh, forget it. Just pay attention.

That's kind of noble, actually. Desperate final stand and all that.

He's a dipshit. That's all you need to know.

You must be the absolute worst person to watch movies with.

Anyway, the first mission began as follows.

I have a map, here. And these small figurines represent the pieces in the battle.

…Oh, huh.

I shall move the pieces as I remember it happening in the battle.

You remember every move? Weren’t these battles, like, a few months ago?

I have an eidetic memory. Now then...

That's my girl!

Oh poo poo, COs interacting with generic soldiers. I... don't actually recognise this guy, either.

This is Carter.

I'll take your word for it, I guess.

That half-minute where Dipshit wasn't here was pretty great. Man, I miss Nell...

Leaving her for six months was your choice.

You know, I was about to say "this is why you don't let kids into the military" but then I remembered that Rose was 9 and a bona fide badass.

I didn't see her battle, but by the sounds of it, your significant other is quite the military force.

When I was training in the War Room with her, I saw her strength and tactical acumen firsthand. It was... terrifying, frankly.

BACK OFF MY GIRL, DIPSHIT.

Nell had it covered.

"Also learning how to use simple objects like beds, doors and forks."

She's quite fierce. Reminds me of my old superior in the Omniversal Police.

She was pretty fearsome, but only in work hours. Outside of that, she was... more chill. Relaxed, happy, sometimes even giggly.

Let me guess, Nell still has plenty more to say?

Got it in one. That said, I took the liberty of creating these informative documents for you.

What? I already know most of these people, though.

Look, just-

Seriously, I know who Dave is! I don’t need your fuckin’ trading cards to tell me that he’s now Dave-but-eighteen-months-older.

…I worked really hard on them, OK?

…Please? There’s a few new faces.

Alright, fine. Hand them over.

DAVE
Personality: Heroism given form.
Proficiencies: Infantry, Mech, Medium Tank

MICHAEL
Personality: Most popular pacifist.
Proficiencies: APC, Transport Copter, Lander

ALFONSE
Personality: Helps new recruits.
Proficiencies: Infantry, Mech, Battle Copter

FLISS
Personality: Afraid of everything.
Proficiencies: Infantry, Tank, Anti-Air

My god, Nell, I think we all know how it works by n-

You may as well just sit and let her finish.

What? Of course you'd win nothing because you lost. That's... that's what losing is, Nell.

How long does this go on for?

A while.

Dave was selected.

Dave stretches up to the sky, then brings his arms back down to his sides and grins. It's been a long time since he was in the field. The last eighteen months haven't changed him much - he's still battle-hardened, with long dark hair, moderately dark skin and a permanent five o'clock shadow. The iron bracer he once wore religiously is nowhere to be seen, however, but in its place is a woven bracelet of red and blue.

"It's a good day for a fight." he says to nobody in particular. "Wonder if some of the old squad will get back together?"

Nell, you literally said them like 2 minutes ago.

She treats him like an infant. I assume she also knows of his incompetence?

Oh, yeah, definitely.

Foot solders are foot soldiers. Well, today I learned.

And if this is going to be anything like the last campaign, the enemies will prioritise capturing over breathing in and out.

I can't imagine how it would be tactically viable to capture a property you already own.

Oh my god! We're not about to have ACTION on this map, are we? Heavens.

Your sarcasm is duly noted.

Let's move this piece. Dave moves to the right.

Ruin, have you ever played Dungeons and Dragons?

What’s that?

Just a game. I think you’d like it.

Fliss, on the road, and Alfonse, by the forest, follow.

"Alfonse! Been way too long, kid. How're you doing?" Dave says, greeting his fellow soldier. Alfonse, a strong young man with a daring smile and blue hair with gold tips, waves.

"Dave! Pleasure to see you. I'm good! Always happy to be back on the field!"

"And you're new." Dave says, turning to the newcomer. She's a young girl with dark skin and long green hair, arranged in a plait, and when the men look at her, she jumps.

"Eep! Sorry! My n-name is Fliss."

"You look familiar." Alfonse replies, looking at her. "...Are you related to Fleur, by any chance?"

"She's my big sister!" Fliss says, brightening up. "I'm... f-following in her footsteps."

"Hang behind us, OK? We'll take care of the enemy." Dave says.

Fliss nods nervously. "Thank you..."

Michael's back, baby! The man who tanked a million hits, the legend who never died except all those times... man, I'm happy to see him.

I can tell.

Dipshit, don't you speak a WORD about Michael being weak. My small pacifist albino deserves better than this.

Nell listed quite a few uses of APCs, but "bait" was not one of the suggested uses.

A wise man once told me that APCs have three roles: transport, supply trucks... and DISTRACTIONS.

I was obviously too distracted by my search for you at the time, but reviewing everything this boy has said... yes, Dipshit might be a better name for him.

Yessss... join the dark side...

Oh my god, Nell, we get it. Everyone gets it. Besides Dipshit but he doesn't need to get it.

Actually, he does. His ACO went AWOL, remember?

...Hey! I wasn't AWOL, I told high command I was leaving for a year!

Only a few short weeks until you're due back, then, provided you didn't commit the murder.

Yeah. Only a few weeks until- until...

...Until what?

Never mind. Hey, look, Dipshit's actually learned something.

It's because they get too full when having mid-drive snacks.

They're a professional military organisation. They do not have snacks in their APCs.

I made that exact joke when I was training with Nell!

Well, that probably explains why she seemed so ill-disposed towards Andy's comment.

I'm gonna kill this kid.

NOW you're getting it!

God, don't remind me.

Or if they're planes and botes, they explode violently and the person in them dies.

You've had bad experiences with fuel management, then?

Don't even get me started.

I... don't think I knew that, actually. Huh.

I swear the fighting begins soon.

I am losing the will to live, Ruin.

As the APC rumbles up to the group of soldiers, Dave and Alfonse let out an impassioned yell of joy.

"Michael!"

The pale, white-haired APC driver pops his head up and waves at the foot soldiers below. "Dave! Alfonse! It's been way too long, my guys! So happy to see you doing well!"

"We are! We'll be doing better once these Black Earth scum are off our turf, but hey, we'll win for sure." Alfonse replies.

Dave nods. "You're right. Fliss, Alfonse... let's get to it!"

The battle was beginning to amp up.

The battle hasn't even started; it's dead on arrival.

Ah, but the troops had advanced far enough that the enemy CO had taken notice of them.

Oh, yes, this pillock. I had forgotten.

"This is where the fun begins."

...Am I missing a joke?

Anyway, the Black Hole troops head south. Strategically, they aim to capture the allied HQ.

Oh my loving god why does nobody shut up in this game

They do like to discuss things casually in the middle of battle, don't they? Everyone in Wars World seems to have that issue.

So he probably has an attack bonus on his units, I'm guessing.

You can't count on Dipshit, Nell! For one thing, he can't count.

"Shoot the dudes. Sometimes ranged." There. Done.

Being petty isn't going to do anything for you, my dude.

NO HE ISN'T, HE SHOULD HAVE LEARNED THIS ALL IN THE LAST CAMPAIGN

Please keep your voice down.

Besides, this information is useful.

I still hold that letting you fight the enemy is the best way to teach someone how to fight. You can explain the complex details, but generally, it isn't hard to move stuff and fire at things.

There's another important rule, Dipshit. "He who isn't a complete tool also wins".

I win. I'm saying I win.

Yes, I got that.

...my dude.

Please stop banging your head on the desk.

I'm worried you'll hurt yourself. Also it's really annoying.

The fighting begins.

I'm up again! Hurrah! Finally!

Alfonse moves ahead, whilst Fliss loads herself into Michael to be safely transported.

Being mindful of the enemy's range, of course.

Naturally.

Then they just wait for the enemy to come to them.

One enemy unit was occupying a forest, giving him a small defensive bonus.

Hmm. That's not too threatening - Alfonse and Dave can finish the forest infantry, then Fliss can occupy the forest to prepare for the second infantry's attack.

Hm. You do have a tactician's mind under all that garbage, it seems. That's not too far from what happened.

Alfonse led the attack on the opposing infantry.

No, no, no. Come on, you’ve gotta add some flair to it if you want to keep the audience interested.

What do you mean?

Look, just keep going. I’ll explain.

Dave fired on the enemy.

“Dave absolutely hosed up the opposing infantry without breaking a sweat. The dude’s killed tanks before, infantry mean nothing to him.”

…I... think I see what you mean.

He was just shy of the kill, unfortunately, so Fliss had to finish the job.

In her terror, Fliss prepares to fire.

"I... I-I'm s-sorry!" stammers Fliss, pointing her gun, closing her eyes, and pulling the trigger.

A direct hit.

Whoa!

The units explode really violently for some reason; there's a bright flash of light. Quite troublesome.

Michael occupies the forest.

Ah, the good old APC bait. A classic, the enemy infantry won't do much to Michael in a forest.

I really don't know where you got this idea that APCs draw enemy fire, my dude.

The remaining enemy went for Dave.

You're lying.

I'm not.

This is bullshit. Why didn't that enemy go for Michael?

I guess the soldiers could have joined...

But eh, it's one infantry. Best just to finish it off.

Quite so. Fliss targets it first.

Welp, it's a non-issue now.

Dave finishes it off, ending the map.

So I see. Not bad, Dipshit.

He is noticeably overconfident.

The phrase you're looking for is "a dick".

Are you just jealous because Nell isn't praising you?

What? No.

...Yes.

S rank, nice. High command likes S ranks.

You can't deny, he defeated the enemy with aplomb.

IT WAS TWO INFANTRY UNITS.

Well, that was all for now. Next interview, we'll continue following the Orange Star troops. In the meantime, isn't it time you told me a little about the events of the night leading up to the murder?

OK, OK. I’ll tell you how it went down. But you’d better keep going with your story; I’m all invested now.

We can alternate our stories. That way, we shall put together the events leading up to the death of my dude - and whether you were implicit or not.

Alright. Let me tell you my side of things. It started out like any other Dudecon, really...

[Note: a Soldier Overview document has been added to the contents page. That'll contain info on all the soldiers we meet throughout this LP, and all the conversations they have together! The testpost below takes you to additional scenes.]

Part 1 Additional

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 24, 2019

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

And we're back! Absolutely love the new dynamic. I was wondering how my dude would fit into the narrative of this game after being wiped out of existence, but this is great. Some excellent back-and-forth going on already. Keeps it very fresh.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is cool and good and I can dig it. I completely forgot how much Andy forgot during peacetime.

Is there any chance you could have the extra scenes not be google docs? It seems like the SSLP Testposter should be fine for this kind of content (or just post them in the thread?), plus it'll be a lot more convenient come archive time.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

SoundwaveAU posted:

And we're back! Absolutely love the new dynamic. I was wondering how my dude would fit into the narrative of this game after being wiped out of existence, but this is great. Some excellent back-and-forth going on already. Keeps it very fresh.

Glad you're liking it! I've been very excited to show you guys how AW2 was gonna work, and here we are.

Fedule posted:

This is cool and good and I can dig it. I completely forgot how much Andy forgot during peacetime.

Is there any chance you could have the extra scenes not be google docs? It seems like the SSLP Testposter should be fine for this kind of content (or just post them in the thread?), plus it'll be a lot more convenient come archive time.

Thank you! And yeah, Dipshit really forgot everything I taught him.

Yeah, I can do that! I didn't post it in the thread because I was worried about character limits. I'll have a look if they can fit in the thread OK, and if not, I'll do the testposter. How do I access that, remind me?

Edit: I really need to start checking the Sandcastle every time I have a question. Found it.

Edit edit: Alright, changed the links to a testpost containing both scenes. I'll do this from now on, it's way more convenient for basically everyone.

cosmicPostman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 15, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dipshit doesn't even know what a continent is.

I should have known to expect nothing from him after the airports, but somehow, it's still surprising.

Jamalex_
Jan 12, 2019
Fliss is the best girl and I will protect her with my life.

Yay! I’m so glad all of the gang is getting back together! My dude and Ruin also make a really funny duo. Too bad I think Commander My Dude is the one who committed the murder... I think it’s very likely! But hey, CP’s got the answer to that mystery under lock and key... I’m his girlfriend, and I have no idea who the killer is! It’s probably Commander though. I don’t trust him!

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

quote:

Dipshit doesn't even know what a continent is.

I should have known to expect nothing from him after the airports, but somehow, it's still surprising.

By the time we get to Dual Strike he's just gonna be completely illiterate.

Jamalex_ posted:

Fliss is the best girl and I will protect her with my life.

Yay! I’m so glad all of the gang is getting back together! My dude and Ruin also make a really funny duo. Too bad I think Commander My Dude is the one who committed the murder... I think it’s very likely! But hey, CP’s got the answer to that mystery under lock and key...

When has Commander my dude ever done anything that resulted in somebody's death

Jamalex_ posted:

I’m his girlfriend, and I have no idea who the killer is! It’s probably Commander though. I don’t trust him!

Can confirm, am dating this goon. You may remember her as the one who I took to prom and made you miss a week of updates last April, so blame her for that one.

Jamalex_
Jan 12, 2019

cosmicPostman posted:

When has Commander my dude ever done anything that resulted in somebody's death

Don't think I'll ever forget Bill! Justice for Bill!

cosmicPostman posted:

Can confirm, am dating this goon. You may remember her as the one who I took to prom and made you miss a week of updates last April, so blame her for that one.

I also made the credits video, so I believe I've redeemed myself! ....Right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Quick note about the Black Hole CO's they got named changes over here (and one quasi name change.)

Flak was Kong, Lash was Cat, Adder was Snake, and Hawke was Hawk.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Hah, Dave seems to have changed his MO from "Avenge The Fallen" to "Protect Those Alive" if his arm gear change is any indicator. That's development alright, I dig it.

Also amused at Ruin slowly realizing why Dipshit is.... well, a Dipshit. Definitely a great start.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
Woo ground floor of the new LP. Can't wait to see how everyone is doing and who dies this time.

Edit: Also, way back when, I mentioned that Von Panzer being listed as from Black Hole was kinda awkward, they're literally an alien invasion force who's rank and file may in fact be pod people made with alien cloning technology, and not actually a country. Edit edit: It was actually a Black Hole accent, right, and that's not actually something that would exist.

Alex0080 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 16, 2019

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Quick note about the Black Hole CO's they got named changes over here (and one quasi name change.)

Flak was Kong, Lash was Cat, Adder was Snake, and Hawke was Hawk.

Hm. Kong is cooler, but the changes are better for the most part, in my opinion. Adder and Lash are better than Cat and Snake.

SMaster777 posted:

Hah, Dave seems to have changed his MO from "Avenge The Fallen" to "Protect Those Alive" if his arm gear change is any indicator. That's development alright, I dig it.

Also amused at Ruin slowly realizing why Dipshit is.... well, a Dipshit. Definitely a great start.

Dave's grown so much since he first joined this ragtag army. Glad you're enjoying the start of a new and entirely ridiculous adventure!

Alex0080 posted:

Woo ground floor of the new LP. Can't wait to see how everyone is doing and who dies this time.

Edit: Also, way back when, I mentioned that Von Panzer being listed as from Black Hole was kinda awkward, they're literally an alien invasion force who's rank and file may in fact be pod people made with alien cloning technology, and not actually a country. Edit edit: It was actually a Black Hole accent, right, and that's not actually something that would exist.

Mm, now I get why that's awkward. Managed to fix the iffy canon of Von Panzer's existence, anyway, so thank goodness for that. Still, thanks for joining us, I too am looking forward to seeing our post-timeskip soldiers!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Adder isn't cool enough to be called Snake. Not even close.

This is an interesting turn, though...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is gonna be a fun LP, my dude.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AweStriker posted:

But an adder is a type of snake and the way better name.

Plus it doesn't let you believe this snake is willing to break the president/ 's daughter out of maximum security cities.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Plus it doesn't let you believe this snake is willing to break the president/ 's daughter out of maximum security cities.

Metal Gear Solid does not have a good track record for President survival.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The killer was Ruin. She's setting Cmdr My Dude up to take the fall. He'll spend AW:DS proving his innocence, then take the fight to her in AW: Days of Ruin. It's foreshadowing, you see.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Alex0080 posted:

Metal Gear Solid does not have a good track record for President survival.

MGS Snake is based on a pair of John Carpenter movies from the 80s where Snake Pliskin is sent into mega prisons made out of entire cities to rescue first the president, then the president's daughter in the sequel. Kojima didnt hide his inspiration at all given Snake's alias in MGS2.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

This is true but adder also makes him sound like someone whose job is basic math

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Look, it's not like that's a job they can leave to flak, ok?

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Elfface posted:

The killer was Ruin. She's setting Cmdr My Dude up to take the fall. He'll spend AW:DS proving his innocence, then take the fight to her in AW: Days of Ruin. It's foreshadowing, you see.

An interesting take, I'll give you that. We'll meet more my dudes in future parts, some of whom are definitely enough of a bastard to murder someone. Naming no Twees, I mean names.

AweStriker posted:

Hngg, Sturm, I'm trying to invade Orange Star but I'm dummy thicc and the clap of my CO Power keeps alerting Nell

Quackles posted:

This is gonna be a fun LP, my dude.

For definite. I'm super excited for this one!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ground floor. Can't wait to see what the "Commander My Dude's Tactics 101" exchange program will bring us.
Or whatever actually happened that made all the COs (including Kanbei and *gasp* Andy) actually competent* this time around.

*competency might vary to be fair. We have just seen Andy being Andy.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
Yaaaay for new game!

Gonna make a quick suggestion and say that you should probably make a header with context for this LP because the people who weren't around for the 1st Advanced Wars LP are gonna be real confused here though. Just something small with a link to the first thread and some "this is the format of the LP" stuff.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Omobono posted:

Ground floor. Can't wait to see what the "Commander My Dude's Tactics 101" exchange program will bring us.
Or whatever actually happened that made all the COs (including Kanbei and *gasp* Andy) actually competent* this time around.

*competency might vary to be fair. We have just seen Andy being Andy.

"How did they get so competent" is something that I'm still trying to figure out narratively, but I'm sure I can figure out some kind of stupid answer.

AncientSpark posted:

Yaaaay for new game!

Gonna make a quick suggestion and say that you should probably make a header with context for this LP because the people who weren't around for the 1st Advanced Wars LP are gonna be real confused here though. Just something small with a link to the first thread and some "this is the format of the LP" stuff.

Made a quick introductory paragraph that should explain it, thanks for the suggestion!

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I am so looking forward to this one. I'm curious what you will do when the old man from Yellow Comet fires his Super CO Power.

My dude sure had a hard day - first he gets accused of murder and then he had to learn that enemies will no longer always attack Michael.
Honestly, the loss of APC aggro probably hits him harder.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Wow, that was a quick turn-around. Welcome to AW2!

Fun fact, it's possible to lose this mission by getting your infantry killed and then running the APC around until it runs out of fuel, which feels like a particularly Dipshit thing to do. Nell has some extra-scathing dialogue for you if you manage to do this.

And yeah, there's no separate Field Training mini-campaign this time round, so most of the Orange Star part of Campaign is Tutorial Land. There's a reason why I LP'd Hard Campaign when I did this game :v: (though to be fair, things step up a fair bit in NC once you leave Orange Star).

I'll save the commentary on Flak until we've had a chance to see him do more than march infantry into your waiting arms.

e: oh hey, My dude correctly identified the thing that the new Green Earth CO is carrying as a tank shell rather than a giant crayon. That one confused a few people back then, including me!

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 18, 2019

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah, butch lady loves her some tank shells.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Golux posted:

She's also my personal favorite CO, for reasons that will become clear when we see what all she can do.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

werbear posted:

I am so looking forward to this one. I'm curious what you will do when the old man from Yellow Comet fires his Super CO Power.

My dude sure had a hard day - first he gets accused of murder and then he had to learn that enemies will no longer always attack Michael.
Honestly, the loss of APC aggro probably hits him harder.

Glad you're excited. I am also intrigued as to what these new guys do!

And definitely, my dude has a strong emotional attachment to APCs no longer drawing fire.

Paul.Power posted:

Wow, that was a quick turn-around. Welcome to AW2!

Fun fact, it's possible to lose this mission by getting your infantry killed and then running the APC around until it runs out of fuel, which feels like a particularly Dipshit thing to do. Nell has some extra-scathing dialogue for you if you manage to do this.

And yeah, there's no separate Field Training mini-campaign this time round, so most of the Orange Star part of Campaign is Tutorial Land. There's a reason why I LP'd Hard Campaign when I did this game :v: (though to be fair, things step up a fair bit in NC once you leave Orange Star).

I'll save the commentary on Flak until we've had a chance to see him do more than march infantry into your waiting arms.

Welp, that sounds about right for Dipshit, I may have to show that off. And yeah, I think I'll stick with NC for the time being, I'm sure it'll get more aggressive once the game has decided that tutorial time is over.

Paul.Power posted:

e: oh hey, My dude correctly identified the thing that the new Green Earth CO is carrying as a tank shell rather than a giant crayon. That one confused a few people back then, including me!

The Golux posted:

Quackles posted:

She's also my personal favorite CO, for reasons that will become clear when we see what all she can do.

I'm very intrigued, she seems like fun. I suppose we won't see her for a while, though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

cosmicPostman posted:

I'm very intrigued, she seems like fun. I suppose we won't see her for a while, though.
Yeah, it's a good while before she shows up. She does get one of my favourite missions in the series, though, so that'll be something to look forward to.

Pretty much every new CO brings something fun to the table, even if in two of those cases it's "comical stupidity" and "love to hate".

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Here we goooooooo.

I actually should finish this game myself first though.

I think I got frustrated trying to get perfect S ranks fairly deep in.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

Pretty much every new CO brings something fun to the table, even if in two of those cases it's "comical stupidity" and "love to hate".

Another category is hella overpowered but the devs don't realize it so they're just considered a normal CO. It'll also be fun to see post react to the buffs and nerfs of old friends.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Quackles posted:

Yeah, she ended up being my go to CO in both AW2 and Dual Strike. Still, all the new CO's are quite good/interesting.

I'm looking forward to this. Less for the narrative to be honest, but I am really interested to see the reactions from a semi-blind play. AW is one of my favourite game series so much I'm always interested in other people's opinions on it.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah, it's a good while before she shows up. She does get one of my favourite missions in the series, though, so that'll be something to look forward to.

Alex0080 posted:

Another category is hella overpowered but the devs don't realize it so they're just considered a normal CO. It'll also be fun to see post react to the buffs and nerfs of old friends.

I'm very intrigued. New COs are always fun though, they'll have some interesting niches, for sure.

Natural 20 posted:

Here we goooooooo.

I actually should finish this game myself first though.

I think I got frustrated trying to get perfect S ranks fairly deep in.

Honestly, that's fair. I don't wanna relive the hours I spent unintentionally S-ranking Enigma and Final Battle.

Lemony posted:

Yeah, she ended up being my go to CO in both AW2 and Dual Strike. Still, all the new CO's are quite good/interesting.

I'm looking forward to this. Less for the narrative to be honest, but I am really interested to see the reactions from a semi-blind play. AW is one of my favourite game series so much I'm always interested in other people's opinions on it.

Ah, well, I'm sorry to hear that the narrative is not your jam, but there'll definitely be more than enough semi-blind map hijinks for you, don't worry!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Man, this was my first AW game, and it ruined AW1 for me. I tried to go back and play that, but I just couldn't make myself do it because I missed all the neat *stuff* from this game. So I dedicated myself to S-Ranking this instead.

Looking forward to seeing what you make of the things I just couldn't live without.

Orange Star being Tutorial Land almost makes me feel like there was some sort of gas leak that affected everyone but Nell, given how much Andy's forgotten. Or maybe he just dropped a big wrench on his own head somehow.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

cosmicPostman posted:

Ah, well, I'm sorry to hear that the narrative is not your jam, but there'll definitely be more than enough semi-blind map hijinks for you, don't worry!

To clarify, there's nothing wrong with your writing and I didn't mean my comment to be discouraging! I read and enjoyed your AW1 LP. I find the narrative fun sometimes, it's just not the main thing I'm interested in here.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Man, this was my first AW game, and it ruined AW1 for me. I tried to go back and play that, but I just couldn't make myself do it because I missed all the neat *stuff* from this game. So I dedicated myself to S-Ranking this instead.

Looking forward to seeing what you make of the things I just couldn't live without.

Orange Star being Tutorial Land almost makes me feel like there was some sort of gas leak that affected everyone but Nell, given how much Andy's forgotten. Or maybe he just dropped a big wrench on his own head somehow.

I'm very interested to see how this game changes things up, for sure. And knowing Dipshit, that's probably what he did. He's far too small to be lifting up such big wrenches.

Lemony posted:

To clarify, there's nothing wrong with your writing and I didn't mean my comment to be discouraging! I read and enjoyed your AW1 LP. I find the narrative fun sometimes, it's just not the main thing I'm interested in here.

Hey, no worries, I get that! Everyone's here for different reasons, and I shall do my best to provide for all - the narrative, the jokes, the strategy, the blindness, whatever it might be.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I believe I asked your opinions on the individual CO themes last time, though I suspect either you missed it or I missed your reply. But every CO has their own unique theme music and I was wondering your opinions on them. You can always wait for them to come back up ingame before you respond, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Adder Moray posted:

I believe I asked your opinions on the individual CO themes last time, though I suspect either you missed it or I missed your reply. But every CO has their own unique theme music and I was wondering your opinions on them. You can always wait for them to come back up ingame before you respond, though.

Ah, yes, I had entirely forgotten to do that. Relistened to all the themes so I could remind myself of them, and here's the rundown:

Andy’s Theme - Pretty solid, jaunty tune. Kind of average, really.

Max’s Theme - Really good theme, one of my favourites.

Sami’s Theme - I like it, but I’m pretty sure it’s mostly Stockholm Syndrome due to the number of Sami levels I had to play.

Nell’s Theme - One of my favourites, also possibly Stockholm Syndrome, but the melody is super fun in this one. Just a shame you never get to hear it after the tutorial.

Olaf’s Theme - I wouldn’t say it’s a theme I’d listen to recreationally, but it’s very, very fitting for Olaf.

Grit’s Theme - Quite a departure from the rest of the songs in the game, but a pretty good one nonetheless.

Kanbei’s Theme - Eh. It’s alright.

Sonja’s Theme - One of my favourites, actually, this song was what stopped Sonja’s three Fog of War missions being quite so tedious.

Eagle’s Theme - I will forever associate this theme with the noise of planes moving through Fog of War. It’s decent, but I can never bring myself to like it.

Drake’s Theme - Bombastic, but fun. This one is pretty alright.

Sturm’s Theme - This one really hits the mark. Dark, threatening, an absolute jam, I really like this one. Bit repetitive, but eh, aren’t they all?