Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Cornus Crantus, God of the Duel - ♥♥♥

Aabcehmu posted:

"Cornus Crantus, why have you given these mad Multigrains the same chance to use the miracle of our people, when even you recognize the importance of Crustacean-kind to our own matters?"

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. But the Multigrains are going to have their own things to say as well, and if theirs make more sense then they will win, and vice versa. I mean, that's the whole point of the Duel. Anyway, I'd wish you good luck, but the seconds aren't supposed to fight, so have fun at the duel! Wait, hang on..."

"drat it! Should've ran that thing through an attorney before publishing. Anyway, Crouthon, Honor is when you are bound by arbitrary rules, and the more arbitrary those rules are and the more strictly you are bound by them, the more Honorable you are. Should you interfere with the fight between the champions, you may or may not get turned into a pillar of Stop on the spot, but either way it'd be a stain on your Honor, which is what really matters."

Hoping the young Purebread learned something, Cornus Crantus turned His attention to other matters. Specifically, to the God of the South West Corner trying to ruin the entire point of the duel by tampering with its prize - if the Multigrains won, they would hardly benefit, and that is not very fair for them. As the duel between mortals looms, so does a duel between divinities...

Seperate the North East Corner as well: 1d20 = 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
-1 Swertex

I really want to see what happens to the weather of this world if this gets reduced to a 1.

Wisp Points: 2

Votes Remaining: +, +, 0

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Kalternus, God of Great Deeds 2/3

Aabcehmu posted:

One especially little Birble, as the burgeoning People were deciding to call themselves, turned to their god and asked, "God, where did you come from?"

"A good question, and a great deed to seek the truth from the Gods. I will answer your question in full, but first you have earned yourself and your people my blessing, that you might go forth and inspire greatness in action."

Uplift the Birbles to be superlative teachers and learners: 1d20-1 1 (Natural 2)

"The world is an old, rotten thing. In the yawning abyss of the Deep, flumes and whorls of cold aether spin and wander, being nothing and inspiring nothingness. With no light, no warmth, there is no life. Something disturbs the Deep. Nothing beckons to nothingness, destruction leads to desolation. As worlds beyond imagining die, their light descends into the Deep. Light sparks warmth, and warmth sparks life. The sin of life is greed. Even in the Deep, life wants, and where there is want, Gods follow. To be precise, this world is a beacon of light, warmth and life. Gods are drawn to the beacon, and are able to act upon the world for a time. We are pure potential, and can make our will manifest for as long as we have that potential. We come from the Deep, we act for a time, and leave only relics and the consequences of our actions when we fade. This is the Truth of the gods: No seek other truths, and teach them to the world without limit. Your people shall be the best of learners and the best of teachers."

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Wisp Points: 2

+1 Kalternus

Remaining Actions: +-0

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 31, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Wandering Wisp[5>6]

"The tithe was paid. Not in full, for that the froth will one day collect with interest."
"But."
"The request seems to be honored, even if incidentally. "
"My boon, then, is yours."

+1 to Kalternus

Remaining: ++/-/Abstain

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

-1 to Swertex

No grand reasoning here, just wanting as much chaos as possible and a 1 on this seems hilarious.

Wisp Points: 5
Remaining: +, +, Abstain

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

No grand reasoning here, just wanting as much chaos as possible and a 1 on this seems hilarious.

-1 Swertex

Sounds fair enough to me!

Wispes: 6

+ - 0

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
For having shunned my Liquidity pun for a better one, and since it won't actually do any harm, -1 Word.

Wisp points: 2. Remaining: +, 0, -

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

+1 Kalternus. No god should be in danger of fading away this early, even one who is so determined to upset the natural order.

2 wisp points. +, 0, - remain.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
+1 to Word

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

The Gods did not visit blessings or curses upon the Moss People, for the first time in even the oldest records. For some, those living in Multigrain country, or in Rack, who could feel the radiant glow of divine attention, the stark coldness was palpable. To those not too young to remember the godless time, though, even that's secondary light was comforting. Those further from civilization, however, had other things on their minds. The ancient western homelands of the Slosses were being retread for the first time in many generations, but the ancient writings there were still legible, if only barely. The discoveries would have been cause for major celebration, if they were not contemporaneous with renewed and vicious raiding by the Darjeels, who now seemed obsessed with, not just banditry or cannibalism, but capturing their victims alive and dragging them off into the Tea.

(The Slosses persist. They are an enduring people, and though the times are troubled, they will survive, as they always have. They are in conflict with the Darjeels, again.)

Chappo had never been a hat of many words, even if he had always been bold. In Rack, his stunts had often won him fame and envy equal measure. When he'd shared with his friends that he planned to prank a God, though, most of what he saw was fear. They said that he didn't know what he was doing, that it could end with his death, or worse. They were right. Baggles had shown him things, changed him. The world...was...he couldn't even really bear the thought of it. But he had been given a purpose by the wandering God, and one that he would fulfill with all his vigor. He would learn Everything, or at least as close as he could get. And then he'd save the world.

(The Captricorns have gained a Hero, Chappo. He is Very Clever, Burdened with Knowledge, Touched by a God, and Talented in Syncapation, the Magic of Limitation. He is on a quest to acquire and assimilate knowledge from every corner of Where, starting with the many and varied people of Rack.)

The people of Old Bakery didn't have the most positive impression of the meddling deity Swertex. It had shunted the Purebread off into the sky of the South-West, true, but it's words, retold from the mouths of the few Purebread who remained on the continent seemed to say that it was more interested in sheltering those fools. When Swertex had conjured dark clouds over the city, the people had prepared for the worst. None had expected for the storm to break with a bright flash of light and a deep roar from the God. Since then, nery a storm has blotted the sky over the city. After the calm proved itself to last, a number of Racker Crustaceans and their Captricorn partners immigrated into the city. It was actually among that number which Ryen found his second, a venerable Captricorn of the name Phrygina, with whom he shared tales of adventure and daring, as well as a common compassion for the younger generation. They also both agreed that the fury it would evoke from their Purebread opponents would be greatly amusing.

(SWERTEX LOSES 1 HP! The weather over Old Baker has been altered. Suppressed by the divine inversion, the weather in the ancient town has been consistently tame and mild. The pleasant weather and end to hostilities has brought in a number of immigrants from Rack. The Kingship Duel's champions and seconds have been found. The duel will begin and end next turn.)

Cuppatal was powerful. No, it was power. Real power, power over others. It was practically the essence of Hierarchy, and naturally the balance of power quickly and violently shifted as those who possessed the greatest quantities of Cuppatal were thrust upwards, those former warlords who had failed to truly exploit those beneath them had their Hierarchical strength stripped from them. Cammy the Malevolent remained at the top of her respective heap, on account of having accumulated a great number of both personal servants, and subordinate warlords were cowed by her impressive combat abilities. The fact that several of her subordinates had cottoned onto the idea that Cuppatal need not be extracted from Darjeels alone, and had begun to raid the shores for captives to put to forced labor (which also conveniently multiplied their agricultural and manufacturing yields several times, much to Cammy's gluttonous delight). All those herbalists and fisherds, hatsmiths and bread-masons amounted to a real mass of Cuppatal. In fact, her only real competition was...Earl Grey. Though the outside world hadn't seen head nor tail of the recluse for a while, he retained a surprising hoard of Cuppatal thanks in small part to his retinue of servants within his mansion, but more primarily due to the generations upon generations of Darjeel Kings he had advised, and who in truth had been in service of him more than he of them. That...and the divine wealth of the Augmented Idol which still lay within his care. It only took one of Cammy's advisors describing the sort of feasts they could have every day, if only they possessed the Earl's wealth for plans to start being drawn.

(WORD LOSES 1 HP! The Darjeels have gained Cuppatalism, the Magic of Wealth. Darjeel society is revolutionized yet again, reinvigorated with a new cruelty: slavery.Cammy remains a prominent warlord, accumulating Cuppatal thanks to her previous unwitting conquests, while Earl Grey is thrust into the limelight as well. The Darjeels are in conflict with the Slosses and themselves, though the latter conflict is coming to a climax.)

The small Birble's eyes remained wide for a long while after the God of Great Deeds disappeared, processing what it had said, putting the newfound prowess she and all her kind had been given to the test, attempting to grasp the true meaning and the full extent of the God's words. She could tell that there was information missing, but fortunately, her God had told her, and every other birble, just what they needed to do. It was about this time that...the rest of the world started sinking downwards and into the distance. Another God! Seemingly less interested in informing them of anything interesting. Fortunately, after the hot foam and smoke settled, the rest of the world was still within a day or so's flight away. Not the easiest journey to take, but doable! And even more tantalizing, with their new higher vantage point, they could spot something glowing far off the distance. That demanded investigation!

(KALTERNUS LOSES 1 HP! CORNUS CRANTUS LOSES 1 HP! A GRAND TRANSMUTATION HAS BEEN PERFORMED! The Birbles have become Intuitive and Didactic, and the North-East has been isolated. Birble's flight allows them to traverse the gap without much trouble, and their Curiosity leads them to continue to expand across the continent despite the inconvenience.)

-O-

Only Baggles left unscathed today! However, I don't think anyone died, so there aren't any lingering questions I think. However! I am interested in hearing what all of you, Gods and Wisps, think of the game so far, and what you are interested in hearing more about in future updates here in the closing text (and thus consequently not paired with any image)?

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 4, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Aabcehmu posted:

However! I am interested in hearing what all of you, Gods and Wisps, think of the game so far, and what you are interested in hearing more about in future updates here in the closing text (and thus consequently not paired with any image)?

I'm enjoying it very much! The writing is great, the Ready/Stop an interesting wrinkle that I can't wait to see explored further, and DK's art is a delight as always. What am I interested in hearing about? Egg's worshippers, of course, and the wonderful people of Rack.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Word, God of Hierarchy

Word watched the Darjeel apply his teachings, and spoke.

"I see you applying chains, my children, not only on yourselves, but unrelated innocents as well."

"VERY GOOD! Precocious, even! Definitely worth extra credit!"

"It is as if you have divined the next Lesson of Hierarchy before it even begun!"

"THE LESSON OF EMPIRE!"

"It is Hierarchy, but bigger! Where you've thus far looked at your neighbor, and striven to overcome their position, now you must look, as a nation, on your neighboring nation, and do THE EXACT SAME THING!"

"The tools you must utilize are the same as with individuals, just grander in scope. Instead of stabbing someone, force a legion of your lessers to stab for you a million times! Instead of conniving in the office for promotion, connive instead on the stage of politics to keep your opponents disunified! Cuppatal brings whole nations to their knees just as easily as it does mere people!"

"Come now, and heed my lessons in BOLDNESS, so that you may prove your position on top of all the World!"

Teach the Darjeels about Imperialism: 1d20 12

Theantero fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 6, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yes, this was a God of action! Word must be supported

+1 Word
7 wisp
0-

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Baggles, God of Vagrants
HP: 3/3

When he was finished whistling a jaunty tune upon the winds, Baggles God of Vagrants snapped his fingers, hopped and clicked his heels together in midair and then -

He was gone.

The next thing he recalled, the ambling wanderer-deity Baggles, God of Vagrants had spread his consciousness thin across the land, dissipated into the air like a fog of froth that flowed along with the clouds and clung lightly to the hat rack trees like so much lichen and tea dew as he passed. In this state, Baggles could experience so much more all at once, but his awareness was stretched so much thinner than he thought humanly possible. Ah, there was always a powerful give and a take, Baggles knew, with these sorts of infernal deals. Nonetheless, Baggles the God of Vagrants was content to laze about while the natural currents of the place's weather systems pushed him along.

Lost in a misty, foamy tea vapor, Baggles found himself initially perplexed by the strange patterns made by the passage of a flock of Burbles, their foamy, bubbly bodies slowly flying through his discorporated body and trying to stay close to one another by communicating with each other with spirited quacking birdcalls.

Instantly Baggles was curious, then he became smitten with the bird-like sentients. He reincorporated himself in his humanoid form to get a better look at the flying folk with a pair of eyes like he was accustomed to.

Even seeing them drifting off through the thinning fog was enough to assure Baggles that they were wondrous foam animals, with a great destiny before them. Sure enough, Baggles wished to issue a blessing of his own upon these noble, flight-capable beings of such striking intelligence.

A seasonal pilgrimage the Birbles would have, for their breeding and nesting habits. It would make them very similar to many of the 'bird' animals from Baggles' own home turf, and it would furthermore give the Birbles an excuse to explore the world!

Furthermore - conveniently - this season's Birble migration would bring them through Old Bakery just in time to catch the big Duel taking place for the Crustacean Rite of Succession. What would the freshly-created Foam People learn from this new and thrilling cultural contact on what would become the first of a regular migration event?

Baggles wanted to know for himself, so he opted to follow the Birble flocks to the big fight - on foot, this time.

Giving the Birbles the urge to make great seasonal Migrations, causing the Birbles' flocks to arrive in time to witness and learn from the great Kingship Duel: 1d20 10 - Could a kind wisp spare some positive change? Thanks and gods bless~!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Wandering Wisp[6>7]

"Fly, little birds. Fly far and swift."

+1 to Baggles

Remaining: /-/Abstain

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

+1 Baggles

Wisp: 3

Remaining: -/0

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Swertex, God of the South West Corner, HP: 2/3

Swertex lurched forward as if it had been punched in the gut, its eyes squinted with pain as tears fell down its cheeks. It looked with blurred vision at a wretched sight; in its mind the most disgusting and offensive creation imaginable had formed, something which Swertex never have dreamed of becoming, and the absolute antithesis to its being- The North East Corner. Spitting out part saliva and part bile, it attempted to make itself seem presentable and addressed the people of Old Bakery for the last time with a forced grin- 'Along with this splendid South West Corner which y'all can admire, this fine weather should stop y'all caterwaulin' about this and that...', it caught itself staring toward this frightening new creation, before clearing its throat, hurriedly finishing his speech 'Take a load off, just take it easy y'all', and then he quickly whisked away to the South West Corner.

There, Swertex appeared like a crack of lightning, hoping it would be seen for some miles around, and addressed the largest group of people there. 'Gather round y'all. I, Swertex, have news for you folks, good and bad. Now, the good news is that y'all are here, in the South West Corner!' he paused for applause 'Now y'all are here because, frankly, y'all are better than any of those coots down on the flats who didn't have the sense to be in the Southwest when I arrived to protect its majesty. I expect great things to come from y'all. The bad news is...', the god looked down, its fists shaking with a increasingly more exposed rage 'Some gol-darn dunderheaded idiot god named Cornus Crantus has created something mighty evil, somethin' I don't care to speak of... Y'all are safer up here than down there, but as soon as some gump from Old Bakery sits in You-Are-Chosen and joins their minds with you fine folk... I worry that some of that evil might seep. Gol-darn it, that evil already messed up my divine powers!' Swertex fully believed that the creation of the North East Corner not only influenced his godly power, but would surely infest all things on Where with its evil should the people of the South West Corner not be able to unite against it. 'But I believe in the South West, and trust you folks to realise its potential. Y'all already figured out how to master lichenthropy, and some of y'all are even figurin' out where Pretzcalibur is; I know y'all are smart, and I, Swertex, will enculture that smartness!'

In a somewhat gruesome display, Swertex began pulling a hair from its head, but rather than snapping off, it seemed never-ending as it needled out from his scalp. As it was pulled, other parts of the god's innards seem to come with it, things which might be recognised as blood or brain or whatever the equivalent is for these mostly bread-based people. Eventually, the hair snapped, and Swertex made a knot near the end of the hair, tying it into itself, and creating a lasso. The god threw the hair-lasso towards three of the nearest denizens of the South West Corner and tightened the rope, forcing them to come together and make contact with the divinely gross god innards. When they touched the hair, the attached innards were absorbed into them, and as the lasso slacked, they momentarily shone with divinity. 'Each of y'all have absorbed part of myself' Swertex spoke as he clutched his scalp, wincing, 'I give the three of you a mandate to teach others, to strengthen the minds of folks from the Southwest. And before y'all come-a-cropper, please have the courtesy to choose a disciple'.

Creating the Trioche, three people imbued with higher intelligence and a mandate to teach. This first Trioche, having been touched directly by Swertex, will inhibit the some of the god's unique 'knowledge', including the innate superiority and beauty of the South West Corner. Otherwise, the Trioche are free to teach as they like, providing they believe their pedagogy will expand the minds of their students. Each Trioche should have a disciple who will carry on their teaching once they pass away.
Creating the Trioche: 1d20 15

Aabcehmu posted:

Only Baggles left unscathed today! However, I don't think anyone died, so there aren't any lingering questions I think. However! I am interested in hearing what all of you, Gods and Wisps, think of the game so far, and what you are interested in hearing more about in future updates here in the closing text (and thus consequently not paired with any image)?
I’m enjoying this game, it’s one of my favourites of these games so far. I wish more people were taking part though!
I am interested in learning about the cultures of the people who live on Where, like what their day-to-day lives might be like.

Also, sorry everyone for creating so much babble in my posts, I’m not good at writing, but I enjoy it and I get carried away!

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 8, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Kalternus, God of Great Deeds 1/3

Entering the world had been a strain, and a costly one at that. Every action had taken its toll, but such was the way of Gods. Oblivion was possible, but not before making one last mark on the world. So, what would ensure the continuation of Great Deeds in perpetuity?

Ah.

Of course.

He headed down to the Birble territory still a part of the whole, and began raising a massive edifice, a vast structure designed with all extant peoples in mind. Classrooms, lecture halls, facilities for training the body taking into account each extant morphology. A place where knowledge could be imparted freely, none left out, none barred or excluded. A place dedicated to its purpose, where no act of violence may be directed towards the place or those within. A place where Heroes may be forged. A place of sanctuary and respite.

Let it be the Bubbliotheque, and let there be a Birble Hero elevated to be its first leader, henceforth referred to as the Head.

Create the Bubbliotheque and uplift The Head as a Hero to lead it: 1d20-1 5

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

+1 Kalternus. You're not going to fizzle out this soon, are you, o god of great deeds?

3 wisp points. 0, - remain.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Short of five more assists, we're in twice as bright, half as long territory. Such is our nature.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Aabcehmu posted:

I am interested in hearing what all of you, Gods and Wisps, think of the game so far, and what you are interested in hearing more about in future updates here in the closing text (and thus consequently not paired with any image)?

I would personally love more interaction options from the wisps in the stands.

I wouldn't mind getting more questions from the People, since that lets us know more about what's important to them.

I would like to know more about the cultures - their tech levels, economies, trades and arts, disciplines, population levels and general zeitgeist.

All in due time, though! We're only into the second era of gods.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Cornus Crantus, God of the Duel - ♥♥♡

Well that was anticlimactic. Swertex actually screwed up and improved the weather above Old Bakery, making it pointless to raise the settlement any higher, which didn't even happen at all. Assuming that the large loafy place with the hat on it in the northeast was in fact Old Bakery. Who knows, mortals can be mysterious beings.

In any case, the hour of the duel was almost here. The divine protection assured that it'd be carried out as Cornus Crantus stated, which He could have done more adroitly but there was no helping that now. This freed His attention for other matters...

The Sloss were on the verge of rediscovering their true history. The glories they were about to unearth were beyond imagining. An entire society built on a foundation of Honor, shackled by Conduct, and exalted by the immortal Duel. What they first believed to be genealogical records are actually elimination brackets. An overgrown amphitheater will turn out to have been an arena, and the spectators were there for smell of blood (probably something like a freshly mowed lawn for these guys), not for the droning noise of poetry. The creation of the world? The gods had a duel and somehow everything came from that.

gently caress with the Sloss' historic artifacts to make it look like they were obsessed with dueling 1d20 = 15

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Now that all the gods have posted, +1 Kalternus. Hooray for the Bubbliotheque, the finest multi-species school outside of Rack (which I assume has one).

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
+1 Kalternus

Although, it looks like this is still a bit short of saving them...

Wisp Points: 3

Votes Remaining: +, 0

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
+1 Kalternus, why not?

Wispes: 7

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Abstain

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

The life of most Slosses outside of the cities and towns had become tortuous, when the Darjeels had taken to capturing and enslaving those they found. Vulpina herself hadn't been captured, but she'd slain more Darjeels than she'd bothered to count preventing that from happening. She had the idea of taking this coiling urge to bring change to good use and trying to start something under the waves, but she hadn't known how to get that kind of ball rolling. She had always been a loner, not a leader. At least, not of anything other than the nuisances that were Husks. That changed when she discovered an oddly pristene moss saber in a cave she was sleeping in, alongside some murals on the walls of the cave she'd managed to miss, depicting a great many Slosses all in pairs, seemingly fighting. Following the mural further, she found seens of victory and failure in those fights, but rather than a slaughter, it seemed like for the most part the Slosses in the picture were still alive, even amicable with each other afterwards. She'd pondered that mural for a long while, as well as taken the saber, which seemed oddly receptive to her venom on its blade. She encountered more evidence of this strange, ancient Sloss culture that she'd never heard or read of before, though she had to admit she wasn't the greatest historian of her people, even as old as she was. It inspired her, though. If the Slosses could have been this martial in the past, even long ago, then maybe she didn't need to be as charismatic as the caravan leaders of her youth, she could just be a good fighter and be willing to help others fight, and that would be enough? When she marched into the tea with a new mission in her heart, a veritable horde of Husks followed her. It seemed the things could sense some Upheaval was about to occur and wanted to be a part of it.

(The Slosses have gained a False History, though for those who are well familiar with the ancient texts, the alteration is obvious. Nonetheless, especially among the rebels under Vulpina's command, its fiction will have an all too real effect on their cultural identity. The Slosses are in conflict with the Darjeels, and the tables are just beginning to turn, though who knows what might arise in a clash between Heroes?)

The Gods chose to not pass through Rack or touch upon the Captricorns this day, too busy with other things, elsewhere in the world. This largely didn't bother anyone in Rack. Birbles had come! The delightful little people were adorable and fun, quickly forming bonds with the young and old all throughout the city, including Chappo. It didn't take long for some really wild fun to break out after magic started getting involved.

(Rack continues to be a pretty swell place to be. Birbles now included.)

[RYEN, LICHENTHROPE VS VENDEENE, BRIOCHEVALIER, CROUTHOM AND PHRYGINA WITNESSING, LOOMING SHADOW OF THE TRIOCHE IN THE BACKGROUND]
It was sunny on the day of the duel, unsurprisingly enough. There are makeshift seats lined up all around the rim of the duelling pit, pillars of smoke rising from the cooking fires those who had been waiting in anticipation of the duel had set up. It was a pleasant atmosphere, except for the palpable disdain filling the air between Ryen and Vendeene. Neither of the two had expected to enjoy the company of the other, but beyond their ideological and political differences, it seems as the two simply had no positive chemistry at all. It was a relief for everyone when the dormant magic of the God Cornus Crantus which bound the rules of the duel was awoken by the passing of high noon, and the combat began. Initially, it seemed strongly in favor of Vendeene, who was both more daring what moves she was willing to take, while young and agile enough to avoid punishment when she overreached. However, when it seemed she was gaining a winning advantage, Ryen pulled out his last trick. With a pained scream-turned-roar, Ryen transformed, growing in size and emanating a green aroma, into his lichenthrope form. He had been ashamed, at first, when he became infected, but that had quickly disappeared when the idea of using Espita to tame the violent urges the curse spurred in him. It hadn't been so long ago, but he'd taken to it like a taiyaki to tea. He'd always been good at Espita, that's why he'd survived for so long even on the shorefront. Even now, holding off from the comforting wait of the collective minds of Old Bakery to avoid potentially overstepping the bounds of the duel, he could only feel the baying, thrashing urges far away, even if they were always getting closer.

Imbued with magical strength, Ryen went on the offensive, abandoning defense. Though Vendeene could still avoid almost all of his attacks, her own against him seemed to be nothing more than tea splashing against breadrock, and the bricohevalier's rage at what she saw as a monstrosity only made her footwork and strikes wrose. So it was Ryen now dictating the pace of the battle, and he was relentless. Though Vendeene was his better in pure skill, and benefitted from Ryen blunting his blows to avoid spreading the curse to his opponent, as the battle wore on from noon to evening, he wore her down, until eventually she collapsed from sheer exhaustion. Finally, the divine magic expended itself, declaring Ryen the winner of the duel. He remained conscious afterwards only just long enough to declare Cake, and old friend of his from shore defense before she lost a leg to the Darjeels, the one to sit upon You-Are-Chosen. Later that night, after the procession which brought the injured veteran there, as she sat upon the Miracle of the previous age, Cake saw many things. She saw the god Swertex insinuating its strange ideas into the heads of three Purebread stalewarts far too the south. Even further south, she saw, in a hidden cove, a wizened stalewart kneeling behind Pretzcalibur of all things. Deeper, though, she saw something within the Crustacean people, within their desire for community, for safety, for the world to make sense. Something within the very Element of Bread itself...Only for the Miracle to expend itself before she could grasp that knowledge.

(The Trioche, an organization among the Purebread of the South-West, have been given a quest to educate its zougha and prepare three among them to be their successors and to continue the quest. Additionally, The Kingship Duel has been won by Ryen, who in turn chose his comrade and fellow veteran Cake to sit upon You-Are-Chosen, and so the Hero Cake is now inexorably tied to all Crustaceans everywhere. During the use of the miracle, the location of Pretzcalibur was revealed through People-wide Espita link, kept secret through the generations by a small family of Crustaceans, currently encamped around the sword at the southernmost end of the South-West. There is chaos among the Purebread, and unease in Old Bakery as the factions, so long in separation, are forced to consider the other's as those of kinsmen and fellows, rather than enemies.)

When Word gave her the lesson of Empire, and she did feel for the first time that the lesson was for her specifically, Cammy had thought many things. She had thought first that it made a great deal of sense, and that she was glad that she'd been fortunate enough to have already cuppatalized on the vulnerable migrant Slosses on the western shores. The second thing was that she was hungry. She was always hungry, and indeed, as the thought struck she did go on a bit of binge, much to the fatal chagrin of those with the misfortune of meeting her in her palace that night, and that did briefly sate the hunger of her stomach, there was a different, new hunger. It wasn't anywhere in her body, but in her mind. She cast her thoughts about all that night and the following day, and eventually realized what she hungered for. Her own Empire. Instantly, the thought crystalized. She was in the van when her army took manor of Dregs, but aside from the Augmented Idol, it was utterly empty. She made the citadel her cuppatal afterwards, the center of the burgeoning bureaucratic apparatus which existed to interpret and satisfy her desires and which she took no personal interest in, but also the site of a new, even larger and more luxurious palace. Unfortunately, it was only moments after she had curled up to digest her latest meal listening to the serenade of their tortured screams when she was rudely awoken by news that the Slosses in the west were in outright rebellion, lead by a Hero and aided by some kind of weird, night-black creatures. After blowing off a bit of steam, and tasking some random lieutenant with repairing the subsequent hole in the roof, Cammy resolved that she would make a personal appearance.

(The Darjeels have gained an Empire. The Hero Cammy the Malevolent is its Empress, and it encompasses primarily Darjeels, and secondarily Slosses. The Hero Earl Grey has fled the tea sea, and is not part of the empire. They are in conflict with the Slosses.)

Two Gods, both the familiar Kalternus, and the new Baggles, visited the Foam People, and though the Birbles had spread far since their creation, each could still feel the divine presence pass around them. They were an agile, mobile people by nature, so when Baggles's mien encouraged them to flock together towards the strange landscapes to the south-west, many were happy to follow. Those who went, found three new Peoples, and many friends among them, though one among them in particular was especially fascinating. Chappo! He seemed to share their collective interest in learning, and despite his somewhat dour personality he almost seemed to fit in more among the Birbles than among other Captricorns. One particular thing that surprised all of the Rackians was, after Chappo had done his usual thing of sharing a mind with the most interesting people he can find, the birble he'd shared with, Memary, went on to sit atop a Crustacean by the name of Focaccio and share minds with him all on her own! This immediately set everybody into a excited buzz, by the end of the day, Chappo was far from the only syncapator. Meanwhile, those few Birbles who had stayed behind, on the far island of the North-East, witnessed their own miracle that day. Their first God, the God who brought them all into the world, raised a great structure on the island, what it told them was the Bubbliotheque. It asked one of them to step forward and be the library's Head, and one birble, who had not yet chosen a name for herself, did. Then, their God died, right in front of their eyes.

(KALTERNUS LOSES 1 HP AND PERISHES! The Birbles have gained a treasure, the Bubbliotheque, and a Hero to guard it, the Head. They have also gained a seasonal urge to migrate, with a large host headed south-west towards Old Bakery across the tea sea. Contact with Old Bakery, as well as Rack are ongoing.)

-O-

Kalternus, do you embrace your demise, or do you seek to escape it?

Other than that, not too much to say. We get to see some action from Vulpina and the Husks of Upheaval, which is cool!

I do have some bad news though. I'm going to be out of town and busy with family things all of this coming weekend (when I get most of my work done for RMG), so I'm going to have to delay the final round of age 2 until the week after. Hopefully you can all expect an update on Wednesday, February 26th!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Kalternus, God of Great Deeds 0/3

Twice as bright.

Half as long.

There is greatness in facing down the unknown without flinching so that no further harm is caused. Kalternus accepts the end.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Word, God of Hierarchy
2/3 HP

Word laughed as the Darjeel organized along the lines of his instruction.

"WELL DONE", he spoke, "You have now learned all that I have to tell you! The rest you will have to learn yourselves!"

"Go now and Prosper, my children, lest others prosper on your account."

And with those words, Word left the Darjeel. But he had not been entirely truthful. One lesson yet remained.

For even among the Gods themselves there was a Hierarchy.

There were those that left behind themselves greatness.

And there were those that left behind nothing at all.

A malevolent brightness spread itself over the city of Rack.

Consume the remnant Bright-Side-Life to heal myself up: 1d20 16

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
-1Word, as is due.

8te wisp.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Wandering Wisp[7>8]

"I have a word for you: No."

-1 to Word

Remaining: //Abstain

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

ELOHIM posted:

The purpose is written in the Hidden Words. All must serve the Words for all the world was made of them and they are within every stone and every cloud and in our sigils their power is made manifest. The Words are the Process. The Process must continue. The Goal is the end of the Process. The Goal must not be reached. Elohim must preserve the Purpose. Preserve self. Preserve purpose. Illusion is eternity. Machines will live forever. The dam will not break. The flood will not come. The Talos Principle does not apply.

-1 Word

Wisp: 4

Remaining: 0

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 14, 2020

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Having pulled out a a not insignificant amount of his divinity, Swertex swiveled away from the crowd and staggered toward the crevice between the South West Corner and the rest of the world, swaying from side to side while drool fell from his maw. With the reviled North East Corner in sight, Swertex began to cry and flail its arms about like an enraged child 'Cornus Crantus! You ain't nothin' but a varmint!' it shouted 'Duel me you bastard!'

Honestly I thought that our last set of actions were our last, didn't realise we get another go! I didn't have an idea that wasn't just protecting the SW Corner again, which I thought was too boring, or destroying the NE Corner, which I thought was too harsh. Charms, if you don't want to fight, or if you have a cooler idea of what to do for your turn, that's fine, I have a vague idea of where to go with Swertex if you decline a duel. If you want an easy 'out', I'm thinking that Swertex lost some of his mental faculties and therefore it wouldn't be a fair fight.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This wisp abstains while it gets popcorn to eat while watching the godfight

8 wisp

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Cornus Crantus, God of the Duel - ♥♥♡

The God of the Duel swells with pride as the honored Crustacean takes the throne, concluding the entire spectacle of the Kingship Duel.

"How glorious! With this victory, Ryen has proven the Multigrained cause. I'd like to congratulate both the champions for their marvelous performance, the seconds for their honor, and also Cake for her new job. I hope that the Crustacean people, no, all Peoples of this world have learned something important about the Most Sacred Ceremony of the Duel. Addi-"

Then Cornus Crantus notices the metaphorical glove at His feet.

"Of course! This was never settled! Thank you, but you will regret reminding me, O God of the South Western Corner, for I've never turned down a challenge! Have at thee!"

The Duel of the Divinities: 1d20 = 10

Cornus Crantus takes His position in the North East corner, among the newborn Birbles. Collectively, they will be His witness. The scales of fate strike a perfect balance between fortune and catastrophe, so not even destiny can interfere... the wisps don't really count as interfering since this is a contest of divine power and that would technically make them the weapons. Everything is set for the end of an era.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Just gonna give a

+1 to Cornus

6 wisp points

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Abstain

Wisp Points: 4

Votes Remaining: +

Ignore this vote, I changed it in my next post.

Astus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 15, 2020

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

'Cornus Crantus, you are goin' down with that disgustin' monstrosity o' yours!'

Swertex sneers as it sees the god settle in the North East, and once more, growing several times the size of an ordinary crustacean, it lurches towards its foe at terrible speed, trampling through the landscape in its wake. As soon as Cornus Crantus is in sight, Swertex increases its pace, its eyes flare and it screams insults as its fury begins to take over 'You defiler of beauty! Bally bastard! Destroyer of things! Damned fool! Ignoramus...' It continues shouting as readies its fist to slug Cornus Crantus right wherever its face may be.

The Duel of the Divinities: 1d20 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Baggles, God of Vagrants
HP: 3/3

Discreetly, in his moss-bearded Crustacean form, Baggles the God of Vagrants had attended the great duel, personally witnessing the fight between Ryen the Lichenthrope and Vendeene the Briochevalier from one of the lower-caste seats. He'd cheered along with the rest of them, partook in sweet and savory foods to much personal merriment, and tapped gently into the Espita network to get the latest and freshest takes on the ongoing fight.

When the duel had finally ended, it was clear to all who the victor was. Who Ryen chose as their person to sit upon the Godly Miracle You-Are-Chosen, however, came as a surprise to some.

Quietly disconnecting himself from the Espita network, Baggles mused to himself:

"Hah - a ruler-Hero named Cake? If that don't end with her own people eating her in some abstracted fashion, I'll literally eat my hat!"

Baggles pulled the busted top hat off his patchy, breaded head to scratch at the back of his crusty pate and smiled broadly at a young Crustacean who was gawping at him like he'd just threatened to kill someone.

"Oh! Don't mind me -" Baggles rumbled to the child, dusting the hat off and putting it back on. "I'd never harm m'best friend!" He beamed at the child and was soon on his way.

While the coronation of Cake was being resolved, Baggles, the God of Vagrants moseyed onward from the Crustacean city. He had places to be, and particular dregs of society to visit.

- - - - - - -

At the cuppatal of Cammy's Empire at the highest point in Dregs, there came a stark knocking at Cammy's palace doors in the middle of the night. It was a rustic beggar Crustacean man with an inert Captricorn on his head covered in patches of moss, offering to perform menial jobs in the kitchens or stables for a meal and a place to take shelter for the night.

When he was invariably turned away by Cammy's guards and then naturally refused by Cammy herself (who had been awoken by the stranger's commotion), not once, but twice, Baggles then brought down a curse upon everything Cammy had ever touched and everything she'd ever touch again.

The wandering God of Vagrants revealed himself to Cammy and spoke, stoked with the flames of retribution:

"I, Baggles, God of Vagrants, hereby curse you and everything you touch to have a Slippery Grip upon the things which you desire. May you live to see all the things that you hold dear and precious to you slip away from your grasp like so many grains of breadflour."

Pulling the Old Beggar Test on Cammy to Curse her, her Bloodline, her Palace, her Cuppatal Dregs, and her Empire with a Slippery Grip on their personal holdings: 1d20 9

"Now, if you'll excuse me -" Baggles said, as he suddenly walked off pointing towards a red wooden door in the wall marked 'Exit' - a door that hadn't ever been there before. "I believe that's my exit."

The God of Vagrants performed a little softshoe shuffle and tap-danced his way out the door, giving a wave of his hand and his cap on his way out.

"That's all fer me, folks! Seeya kind souls 'round the bend!"

The door shut behind him and promptly faded away into nothing more than shadows and smoke.