Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

The X-Files Game is a first-person FMV adventure game that was released in 1998, it's based on the TV show of the same name. We play as a generic agent Craig Willmore, an FBI agent based in Seattle, who is sent on an assignment to investigate the disappearance of a couple of FBI agents. These FBI agents presumably went missing to cut down on the acting budget. Several actors from the TV show revive their roles for the game, some of which you will see in the first video.

To give you an idea of a timeline of events, this takes place somewhere around the third and fourth series. The game was released before the end of the fifth season.

LP details

For the most part, apart from the use of a guide, this is going to be a blind playthrough. I have never played this before apart from testing to see if I can actually run the game. Also, this game is also prone to data corruption and save errors.

Depending on my work schedule I aim to upload two or three times a week. If you need to talk spoilers use the appropriate tags. If you know this game and think that I should do or see something specific, flag my name before the spoiler tags or PM me.

Let's Play: The X-Files

Bonus Video - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Bonus Video - Ending Sequences

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh poo poo yes. I was a massive, massive Xphile and still have all 9 seasons and the first movie. (We don't acknowledge the second movie. Or the reboot. Or the spinoff. Or most of seasons 8 and 9.)

I know nothing whatsoever about the game except that it exists, though. So this should be fun! I'm anticipating tons of 90s cringe and janky cutscenes. So far we're off to a very promising start.

edit: I'm laughing a lot at the romance questions. Oh, fanservice. Though canon!Skinner would have told him to gently caress off for asking such a completely random and irrelevant question.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 16, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

"Made in 1998, eh? I guess they may have had passable 3D back then, but I don't really remem- OH MY GOD a live action FMV adventure game!"

Yeah, I am down for this.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Black Robe posted:

Oh poo poo yes. I was a massive, massive Xphile and still have all 9 seasons and the first movie. (We don't acknowledge the second movie. Or the reboot. Or the spinoff. Or most of seasons 8 and 9.)

I know nothing whatsoever about the game except that it exists, though. So this should be fun! I'm anticipating tons of 90s cringe and janky cutscenes. So far we're off to a very promising start.

edit: I'm laughing a lot at the romance questions. Oh, fanservice. Though canon!Skinner would have told him to gently caress off for asking such a completely random and irrelevant question.

I love the X-Files but my memory is shite, so please forgive me if I make any faux-pas while talking about it.

The whole opening sequence was a complete ball of cheese. Why didn't Mulder or Scully speak? What was going on with the gunfire? I know that the opening sequence in the show was usually ambiguous on purpose but still...

I wasn't expecting some of the comedic moments of this game, it probably doesn't help that I'm getting over a sinus infection and my throat sounds like gravel when I laugh at the moment. Skinner was known to be very diplomatic at times, I'm sure he was being polite in answering what is probably some standard questions in this kind of scenario. Willmore has no idea who Skinner, Scully or Mulder are.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

"Made in 1998, eh? I guess they may have had passable 3D back then, but I don't really remem- OH MY GOD a live action FMV adventure game!"

Yeah, I am down for this.

This has been a long time coming. This was on my list for a long time when I was younger but eventually forgot about it. Until recently, I picked it up several months ago and now I'm hoping that it doesn't break.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I actually have the PS1 version of this game, and it can only run on a PS1. The cursor is screwed up on PS2, PS3 and Emulated.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
oof, navigation in this one seems... not great. I hope it keeps handing you opportunities to do goofy poo poo, though!

before anyone says anything, consider that I cannot possibly run whatever this poor animal was into the ground any more than it already has.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Huh, this is a blast from the past.
I remember playing either a demo or a shareware version of this a long, long time ago, but I'd never watched the TV series. It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.

Also, despite the FBI field office looking like it's filled with sigarette smoke from the amount of people the soundscape implies works there, the FMVs are surprisingly good for such an old game.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is really good production values for a FMV game. They must have had a TV-size budget, or maybe access to the crew somehow.

The strangest mystery is why Skinner brought a whole box of donuts all the way from D.C. out to Seattle.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Kangra posted:

The strangest mystery is why Skinner brought a whole box of donuts all the way from D.C. out to Seattle.

It's polite!

Also wow I played this game an dnever got past the login on the computer. I feel dumb.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The whole opening sequence was a complete ball of cheese. Why didn't Mulder or Scully speak? What was going on with the gunfire?

Money :v: Mitch Pileggi was obviously a lot cheaper than Duchovny/Anderson.

As for the gunfire, it wouldn't be the X Files without ludicrous guns and flashlights that make no sense and make scenes impossible to follow coherently.

VKing posted:

Also, despite the FBI field office looking like it's filled with sigarette smoke from the amount of people the soundscape implies works there, the FMVs are surprisingly good for such an old game.

Obviously the Cigarette-Smoking Man is there watching everything :tinfoil:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Willmore explores the motel rooms and Skinner just stands around a little too nonchalantly after going into Scully's room alone. There's a lot more walking around and poking things in this video, but this time it's mostly in all-new locations.

I'm having issues with getting new fonts to work with GIMP, I've added a lot this past year so I may have overloaded it. For now, I'm re-using an old font for the numbers.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Willmore, get a sample of this.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
gently caress yeah, I remember playing this a bunch and not understanding most of the plot.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Did you find Both of the cigarettes left or am I misremembering the game? Just proof that NAME WITHHELD was there

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

wedgekree posted:

Did you find Both of the cigarettes left or am I misremembering the game? Just proof that NAME WITHHELD was there

As far as I know, there is only one so far. Maybe there's more in later scenes?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh man, I think I remember this... or was there more than one X-Files FMV game? Because in my memories the one I remember definitely had you playing as Mulder.

But yeah, hell yeah, I miss the X-Files. It... fell off in later seasons, the metaplot was never as amazing as the monster-of-the-week episodes and once they swapped out a few favourite actors it lost some of the magic as well, but there hasn't really been a show like it since.

Also I was trying to place it, but I finally figured out who Willmore reminds me of: the agent from Shoot 'Em Up that's a recurring problem for the protagonist.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 21, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PurpleXVI posted:

But yeah, hell yeah, I miss the X-Files. It... fell off in later seasons, the metaplot was never as amazing as the monster-of-the-week episodes and once they swapped out a few favourite actors it lost some of the magic as well, but there hasn't really been a show like it since.

:hmmyes:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Huh, I just realized Wong is named after one of the X-Files writers.

Even back in 1998 I thought it was weird when he mentions his "accent" because he sounds like a generic American.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, it seems sort of weird for them to make so much of it.

I'm fairly sure at least some of those warehouse exterior shots are from Tacoma (south of Seattle).

If it was Seattle, it's not Bell Street (per the address), but the map dot seems to be in a decently accurate spot for 'dockside warehouse'. Here's the view down near there today.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode feels fairly slow-paced until the end. Willmore finishes up his investigation with Skinner, follows up on the evidence that has been collected and then bumbles around his apartment for a bit. I read about a stereo with some interesting music in Willmore's apartment but I couldn't find it in the described location. We will need to head back to his apartment to end each day so I will find out its exact location before we return.

I will probably work on some additional footage this weekend. The main LP is going to be a semi-blind straight run but I feel like running amok in everything up until this point.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh man, I think I remember this... or was there more than one X-Files FMV game? Because in my memories the one I remember definitely had you playing as Mulder.

They did release an interactive "game" called The X-Files: Unrestricted Access which was basically an interactive database. I've not played it but I do know they used clips and such from the show.

rudecyrus posted:

Huh, I just realized Wong is named after one of the X-Files writers.

Even back in 1998 I thought it was weird when he mentions his "accent" because he sounds like a generic American.

I've just had a look on imdb and James Wong was a writer, a director and producer of the show for the original and the revived series. People have mentioned their distaste for parts of season 8 and for season 9 but no one has mentioned anything about the revived series yet.

The guy who played Willmore (Jordan Lee Williams) appeared in the episode "Syzygy" as a basketball player. Unfortunately, he died just over a year ago at the age of 52.

Kangra posted:

Yeah, it seems sort of weird for them to make so much of it.

I'm fairly sure at least some of those warehouse exterior shots are from Tacoma (south of Seattle).

If it was Seattle, it's not Bell Street (per the address), but the map dot seems to be in a decently accurate spot for 'dockside warehouse'. Here's the view down near there today.

I'm still on the imdb page and it lists the filming locations as Mercer Island, Seattle and Tacoma. I'm impressed by your knowledge, thank you for sharing the link.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

People have mentioned their distaste for parts of season 8 and for season 9 but no one has mentioned anything about the revived series yet.

I don't wish to acknowledge that it exists. I'm a purist and a nerd and a snob and drat proud of it. I read just enough about the revived series when it was first announced to decide I didn't want any part of it. If someone here has seen it and has an opinion I'd be interested to see if I made the right decision but I'm fairly sure I did.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Black Robe posted:

I don't wish to acknowledge that it exists. I'm a purist and a nerd and a snob and drat proud of it. I read just enough about the revived series when it was first announced to decide I didn't want any part of it. If someone here has seen it and has an opinion I'd be interested to see if I made the right decision but I'm fairly sure I did.

The only episode worth a drat from season 10 is "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" as it attempts, in my opinion, to have that feel of a classic X-Files episode. It would have been better as a one-off mini-series but they decided to start a new story-arc which shoehorned in lore from the original series. From what I read about season 11, they rewrote lore and changed things to fit in with new storylines and it was pretty dire. I gave season 10 a chance and it had some moments. From what I've read about 11, it had some good episodes but the poor story-arc from season 10 was continued 11 and it just got worse.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...oh dear. Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought it was going to be, I'm glad I didn't bother. Thanks for the vindication. Someone whap Chris Carter on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

is this the conclusion of Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Fish Noise posted:

is this the conclusion of Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster?

Where would the appendix be on that thing?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh drat, I didn't expect that our partner would be a big part of things.

So, it feels like there's a decent amount of stuff you can miss, and you occasionally get some branching-ish choices, like making certain calls, etc. on your own or handing them off to Cook.

Does this game have any dead-man-walking/only-bad-end paths you can go down? And does it have any real story branches or is it mostly just a matter of a bit of descriptive text and/or whether you get the best ending?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh drat, I didn't expect that our partner would be a big part of things.

So, it feels like there's a decent amount of stuff you can miss, and you occasionally get some branching-ish choices, like making certain calls, etc. on your own or handing them off to Cook.

Does this game have any dead-man-walking/only-bad-end paths you can go down? And does it have any real story branches or is it mostly just a matter of a bit of descriptive text and/or whether you get the best ending?

I don't know enough about the game to give you any definitive answers.

What I do know is that people's attitudes towards you change depending on which kind of choices that you make.

A couple of times we've seen three boxes appear that give us a choice of different types of responses instead of specific dialogue. From what I've read, if we chose and stuck with a certain type of response it alters the game world. Apparently, if we give paranoid responses we will start seeing some spooky things like extra shadows and twitching corpses. If we give responses about loss we get some nicer mail from a certain someone.

I've also read that certain things will give you additional scenes. Apparently if we collect enough cigarette butts something special will happen.

As far as I know, this game is pretty linear. I'm thinking about recording another run with the paranoid responses, I will also make it a run of poor choices and show off any noticeable differences.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This is more complex than I expected from a popular franchise tie-in.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

The only episode worth a drat from season 10 is "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" as it attempts, in my opinion, to have that feel of a classic X-Files episode. It would have been better as a one-off mini-series but they decided to start a new story-arc which shoehorned in lore from the original series. From what I read about season 11, they rewrote lore and changed things to fit in with new storylines and it was pretty dire. I gave season 10 a chance and it had some moments. From what I've read about 11, it had some good episodes but the poor story-arc from season 10 was continued 11 and it just got worse.

From what I've learned about Chris Carter, X-Files was a success more in spite of him than because of him.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Willmore investigates the death of Wong and opens up some more leads. We get to see the insides of a couple of boats, so much so that it won't all be covered in this episode. We also get to meet several new people, including these two who drink coffee and then both piss off to another location without us!

I've recorded some additional footage in the field office and I've found out that there is ending sequences in the game. You can also annoy people in various ways so that's something else to look forward too. I'll do some more here and there as the main playthrough is the priority at the moment.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ha, I wasn't totally sure about it before, but the shots around the crime scene are 100% confirmed as Tacoma. The Murray Morgan bridge is unmistakable, and the view up the hill isn't that much different 20+ years on. I would have been down near that point only a couple of times in the 90s, but I've often enough been on the other side of the bridge to recognize it. My dad lives in a nearby town and volunteers at a place down at the port.

Interestingly enough, a lot of trains would go through there and the noise might just have been something they had to live with.

The other site (where you inspected the burned ship) looks a lot more like Seattle, I think. Probably Ballard. e: Yep, the Ballard Bridge

Sorry to keep up the filming location talk, it's kind of weird to see something from so long ago pop up like that.

The plot does seem to be getting interesting; it could go in any direction. So much fuss over Wong that I half suspect he's an alien.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 27, 2019

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
At this point I was getting bored because all I was doing was following in the footsteps of Mulder and Scully, so when this happened I was interested.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kangra posted:

Sorry to keep up the filming location talk

I used to have a full map of the USA with all the X-Files locations marked on it. (Up to... season 6, I think?)

I'm not American and I was about twelve. It meant absolutely nothing to me. But I still had it.

What I'm saying is, keep it up, we're all nerds here. I'm kind of impressed the locations are so recognisable.

And yeah, Wong is probably an alien or at least infected with black oil. Could also be a clone, there were a lot of clones in this series.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kangra posted:

Sorry to keep up the filming location talk, it's kind of weird to see something from so long ago pop up like that.

I think it's interesting, at least. I care about all the dumb trivia.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Warning: The audio during the cutscenes hasn't exactly been stellar, but it's now starting to become consistently more horrendous during this part of the game as the dialogue is cutting off even more.

In this episode, we explore the rest of the Tarakan, find a severed hand in a morgue and then Cook decides that he wants to endear himself to us even further.

Please keep up the film location talk for as long as you want too, I've always been interested in hearing about things behind the scenes with anything that I enjoy.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 29, 2019

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Our partner does not seem particularly good at his job of 'do not notice that I am secretly in some sort of secret conspiracy' thing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It feels like the banter is getting adjusted up a notch, which I enjoy, Willmore is starting to have an actual personality now.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

It feels like the banter is getting adjusted up a notch, which I enjoy, Willmore is starting to have an actual personality now.

He's made the leap from 'I'm investigating two missing FBI agents' to 'there may be a conspiracy to sneak nuclear weapons into the US and my partner is probably working with them'. I figure at this point he goes 'meh whatever' and moves along with it.

it takes a couple days sometimes for (lack of) sanity to set in.

Also he has a pretty well developed personality in fairness. The devs went to the bother of giving him hobbies, paraphenalia, and a short story he wrote for (failed) publication.

In general we know he's divorced, a big fan of the Civil War (and has gone on several battlefield tours). He likes writing. He has knicknacks. His office is personalized as is his home.

The writers went out of thier way to flesh him out - even if it's things you won't actually interact with unless you go out of your way to interact with them.

the amount of background work they went into putting things into a 90's adventure game character is phenomenol.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh, yeah, they gave him background, but in the first bit of the game Willmore basically just chats out some pretty generic lines, it feels like. It's not until this point that he displays said personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, I think that it's safe to tell you that Willmore goes back home to his bed twice in this episode. There's a couple of locations that I didn't hang around in as the guide mentions not too, you will see why for yourself when you watch this. I'll explore these locations more fully when I get around to recording additional footage. Also, Cook... :psyduck:

I really enjoyed the effort they put in to flesh out Willmore and the game world in general. It's more than I've seen in most adventure games that I've played, for an FMV game the level of detail that they've put into it is incredible.

I will most likely attempt to complete the recording of the main playthrough this weekend, my work schedule leading up to Christmas is disturbingly horrendous. If anyone has any suggestions for things to look up in the ING or media section on the computer let me know and I will try to include them in the additional video(s).