Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Super Rad posted:

The only thing that would make me think Skull Knight didn't kill the other Godhands is how badly he hosed up trying to kill Femto/Griffith.
Void could have learned from last time to prevent it, also Griffith's ascension is explicitly different than the rest, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
boutta smash cut to skullknight's black swordsman arc

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

boutta smash cut to skullknight's black swordsman arc

Opens with him loving that Godhand with the twenty tits. This is never brought up again.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

"Wow, Skull Knight! So you had a love interest, too?"
"Yup"
"And a witch companion to pull you back from the Berserk Armor's influence?"
"True"
"And a comic relief kid sidekick?"
"Yeah"
"With a comic relief fairy?"
"...yeah"
"And there's this crazy chick following you with her secretly badass bodyguard?"
"..."
"..."
"This is getting weird"
"Okay, last one, did you have a creepy fanservice-y underage mermaid"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Mine was a dugong."

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I can never remember enough to catch all this stuff, so here's a post for people like me
https://twitter.com/SoaringFalcon4/status/1319296915272421381

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Torquemadras posted:

"Wow, Skull Knight! So you had a love interest, too?"
"Yup"
"And a witch companion to pull you back from the Berserk Armor's influence?"
"True"
"And a comic relief kid sidekick?"
"Yeah"
"With a comic relief fairy?"
"...yeah"
"And there's this crazy chick following you with her secretly badass bodyguard?"
"..."
"..."
"This is getting weird"
"Okay, last one, did you have a creepy fanservice-y underage mermaid"

"...did you also have a Magnifico?"
"Who do you think Void is?"

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
drat those two page spreads

perc2
May 16, 2020

Slan is Gaiseric's chick or I'm a rusty pineapple

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Gaiserics chick appears to be branded.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yea, no egg for her.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It’s Slan’s twin sister... Flan.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's another long analysis thread
https://twitter.com/ReadBerserk1/status/1319646040669126656

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The arts really gorgeous in this chapter. Like, more so again than it has been.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I've been kinda waffling on getting the omnibus releases of this, and the art work this chapter reminded me of how crazy amazing Miura is with detail and I probably just should get them because of the sheer art of the thing.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I have 1 and by chance 3 and they are beautiful.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
As much as I love Berserk and would love to have the physical books, the thought of my 8 year old finding them is pretty terrifying so maybe I'll treat myself for his high school graduation or something. It might even be done by th...hahahahahahahaha

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I've been kinda waffling on getting the omnibus releases of this, and the art work this chapter reminded me of how crazy amazing Miura is with detail and I probably just should get them because of the sheer art of the thing.

I have the first three and the one thing I will say is that while they are beautiful and very high quality, they are also massive. Unless you've got a ton of space I'd only settle for one or two.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Sydin posted:

I have the first three and the one thing I will say is that while they are beautiful and very high quality, they are also massive. Unless you've got a ton of space I'd only settle for one or two.

As a man with a hardcover copy of every Wheel of Time book...duly noted. This is sensible advice.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

Harlock posted:

Void could have learned from last time to prevent it, also Griffith's ascension is explicitly different than the rest, right?

Considering it's likely that Void became the fifth and final member of that era's God Hand, it seems reasonable to think that there is something special about Griffith's ascension.

If Gaiseric did in fact kill the other four members, I'm wondering how the rebirth cycle would work? An ascension event takes place every 216 years, and the fall of Gaiseric's empire is rumored to have occurred a millennium prior to the events of the Golden Age arc. With that in mind, Gaiseric must have made short work of everyone aside from Void.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have all 5 (6?) Berserk Deluxe releases to date and would say if you like Berserk and can deal with having a book series that realistically speaking, might not actually finish, you owe it to yourself to get them. They're brilliant.

It's pretty fair to say Miura's settled into the transition to digital now... hot drat. And the implications on the story front, next chapter soon, I beg you. The end message is heartbreaking though, thoughts and wishes to the family and friends.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Southpaugh posted:

The arts really gorgeous in this chapter. Like, more so again than it has been.

It's been on the up for a while but it really feels like he's gotten past the niggles he was having converting to digital art. Just something in the line quality specifically feels really nice again.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
What a magnificent chapter, the art for the eclipse was something special, such a different feel from Griffith's with the gnarled looking hole in the sky. It also looked massive.

It looks like we see carnage on behalf of skull knight as he tears his way to the godhand, the apostles being cut apart and blood drops were so well drawn. With Void standing there so triumphantly as the 5th apostle, (who looks so out of place with the others with his cenobyte attire) looking down at the king, this is such powerful imagery and I'm dying to know more! The lady he was holding looked kinda like the fairy queen, or even Slan to a degree.

Miura losing a friend really sucks too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The rules for the Godhand being what they are, she probably isn't Slan because a Godhand is made every 216 years and this is clearly Void's ascension we're watching.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I was thrown for loop when I saw the branded woman with skull knight i thought she was a fairy. If she's a witch they've sure gotten a lot less flashy in a 1000 years

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The rules for the Godhand being what they are, she probably isn't Slan because a Godhand is made every 216 years and this is clearly Void's ascension we're watching.

Also pretty sure it was stated that somebody who has been branded as a sacrifice can’t become an Apostle or member of the Godhand, back when the Godhand first appeared in the arc with the Count.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

TowerofOil posted:

I was thrown for loop when I saw the branded woman with skull knight i thought she was a fairy. If she's a witch they've sure gotten a lot less flashy in a 1000 years

She looks like the sculpture on his horses front armor kinda.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:stare: :stare: :stare: SKULL KNIGHT FLASHBACK

HOLY gently caress

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zasze posted:

She looks like the sculpture on his horses front armor kinda.

We don't get a good look at her ears

She might have been an Elf Queen like the Stormflower King

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Burkion posted:

We don't get a good look at her ears

She might have been an Elf Queen like the Stormflower King

Gaiseric having some sort of magic consort makes sense when looking at the gigantic city he built - human labor can only get you so far. It would also tie into the whole elf / white magic vs. dark / apostle magic conflict.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Yeah sorry the Slan hot take was bad, I got excited.

The running thought on Twitter if I have this right is that the branded woman was probably a lover/queen of Gaiseric and it's possible that the man who became Void also loved her, and so she was part of the sacrifice. The Flower Queen is possibly her daughter, possibly her and Gaiseric's daughter - which ties into the "elfin" aura that is detected on the Skull Knight, either due to association with this woman, or the means by which he escaped an Eclipse

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

perc2 posted:

Yeah sorry the Slan hot take was bad, I got excited.

The running thought on Twitter if I have this right is that the branded woman was probably a lover/queen of Gaiseric and it's possible that the man who became Void also loved her, and so she was part of the sacrifice. The Flower Queen is possibly her daughter, possibly her and Gaiseric's daughter - which ties into the "elfin" aura that is detected on the Skull Knight, either due to association with this woman, or the means by which he escaped an Eclipse

We're Berserk fans, man, don't apologize for bad takes. Something has to occupy our minds between chapters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking about it he could have been an Elf himself

Though that is unlikely I admit

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I'm beginning to wonder if Griffith is an orchestration of Void to create an entity to merge the the astral plane with the physical, to remove his opposition (Gaiseric) who is mucking up the works of some bonkers plan for eternal existance or something. I liked how the old god hands were varied in their designs (beardy boy lookin Zeus like) but the current crop have similarities in their attire, is Void effectively arranging the godhand to his mad plan?

I need that next chapter so badly!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ancient Greek Theater Mask Guy was totally the Conrad of the old Godhand.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Hey what's going on with Berserk?

**sees two chapters this year**

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Ok um...spoiler chat:

Clearly was the end of Gaiseric's empire and his beginnings as Skullboy, REALLY love the design of old Godhand, clearly showing links to old world religions, Zeus, Inca/Aztec, Mesopotamia, etc. I know I'll be a really old man, but I hope Miura releases something that explains his design reasonings for these and maybe some more background.

There's so much stuff here to unpack, and feels like Miura taking cues from a work he inspired in Dark Souls, of showing not telling and I LOVE it.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

This chapter was so good. I love the aesthetic of the old God Hand. I think that Skull Knight probably has been killing them and they've been reincarnated as the current members over the course of the millennium since Void's Eclipse (given the 216 year cycle) but a part of me also wonders if they aren't the same individuals in a different form. The exaggerated Conrad-like mask and the sex-themed one could be a Slan analogue.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 30, 2020

perc2
May 16, 2020

One thing is very clear is he's using the design language of the ancient world in this older God Hand to parallel the Roman Empire analogue that was Gaiseric's kingdom. Most clearly seen as that weird greek play mask looking guy and the fact that the "lady" with lots of breasts is clearly inspired by Artemis Of Ephesus

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My wife described that lady as a pine cone of tits. It is definitely a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So going by Griffith's "give me wings", Godhands (and possibly Apostles in general) have a say in what they look like after ascension. So I really want to know what exactly the skinny dude between Void and Boobs Galore asked for when he ascended.