Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ethiser posted:

Guts can make peace with what happened with Griffith an move on, but forgiving him would be insane.

"i bless u for raping my girlfriend"

*puts down the last chapter of Berserk* what a masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Love it when the manga uploaders screw up one page and then don't bother to check if it actually fully uploaded

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/YoungAnimalHaku/status/1395213014182162436

what teh gently caress

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
An aortic dissection does have risk factors but it can happen suddenly and yeah, your main artery pumping blood into a tear to the point where the inner lining separates from the outer lining of your main artery is bad times

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would speculate that the hiatuses and the power of im@s helped Miura get a better work-life balance but the body doesn't escape decades of abuse unscathed

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
From a 2009 interview:

quote:

Q8: Could you describe an average day in your studio? How many hours each day do you work?

I start working at 2:00 PM and I finish at 7:00 AM. Of course, the time I spend eating is included. I work 15-16 hours everyday, without holidays.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Slamming the fax button when you see your favourite high schooler witch in a sexy moment

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh nooooo, now the forum will turn against Studio Gaga...

https://twitter.com/go_kohske/status/1395860747381481473?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hel posted:

Having only read a bit of the manga after previously( I think stopped reading around Volume 16), I took this opportunity to reread and finish it. Honestly I wish I could have read a bit more previously, because then I would have realized it wasn't really for me.

It's not like it's bad or anything it's just that the flashback Golden Age stuff had a certain tone that didn't really exist in the rest. And that flashback being so long meant that I forgot the early chapters with Puck and thought that tone was the one the entire work was going for. It's not like it didn't have levity or humor, but it wasn't so consistently wacky in a dissonant way as the later chapters. And then it gets worse when the kid who likes spying on women bathing and flipping their skirts shows up. Also doesn't help that Casca spends a majority of the story as a non-character.

I'm not sad I spent the time reading it, but looking back there's way less of the stuff I Iiked wholeheartedly than I thought it would be, especially compared to the feelings I had about it before going back and finishing it. It's also been really interesting to read it back in retrospect and see where other people ripped it off completely, and more kindly were inspired by it.

To be fair, the dissonance is there to shake you and Guts out of the constant overwhelming dread and misery of the setting

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Griffith is literally the charismatic leader who drags everyone off to metaphorical and literal hell with him willingly

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's been a very long time since I read the first half of Berserk and it was done through tiny rear end scanlations on a DSL connection. I'm really excited to start a re-read on my Deluxe editions so I can fully appreciate the artwork.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mazed posted:

Audacious armaments predate anime and video games by a good while, but it was tough back in the day, seeing as how if you were in a position to design said gear, you'd either be wearing it yourself, or with a vested interest in keeping the person who would be using it alive.

Still, extravagance will always find a way.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Dumb question. Miura has said the story (the first part anyway) is based on a childhood/teenage experience. Has there been an indication of who it was in what circumstances? I really wonder what their thoughts were when they found out Miura died.

quote:

Miura: [In high school] I was in a group full of people saying they wanted to be manga artists, but were actually busy getting girlfriends and getting into fights, so they weren't really all that otaku. So I was basically the biggest manga nerd out of the bunch. It was a group of five, and I was pretty much the yellow ranger of the group: lagging behind in terms of emotional growth, but way ahead of the others in terms of drawing ability. I wasn't capable of making a story that would really make anyone feel much of anything, though.

So that information coming from outside – the other group members' love troubles and fights – was really new to me. Also, there's the fact that people who go into fine arts tend to be people with big egos who all have something that they're particularly good at, and so with these other guys showing off what they're good at, I wanted to find what I could do. Drawing, I decided, was my only option. The only way I could keep on equal footing with these guys was to make my mark as a manga artist. It became this strange obsession for me.

Interviewer: Is that idea that you had to stay on "equal footing" something that is reflected now in the relationship between Guts and Griffith?

Miura: Yes, it is, quite a bit. I don't know what relationships between boys these days are like, but back in the eighties, boys were really obsessed with stuff like how good their friends were at things, how highly they "ranked" in comparison to their friends, etc. For boys, friendship isn't about consoling each other. Sometimes you even try to take the other guy down a peg or two. But to break away from those friends would feel like admitting defeat, and you do help each other when you find some sort of goal. That's where the Band of the Hawk comes from.

Interviewer: I see – so, that core from your high school days has been transformed into the story in Berserk.

Miura: Right. I'd done some training to change that group of high school friends into a band of mercenaries by the time I was graduating university.

Interviewer: And you took that formative experience and put it into the sprawling original fantasy world of Berserk. When'd you come up with that idea? How much did you plan out at that point?

Miura: I'd hardly thought any of it out at first. I had no idea how far I'd be able to run with just that original idea for the manga, and I really hadn't come up with the idea for the Band of the Hawk at all. Aside from the monster-slaying black swordsman, I had this idea that it'd be easier to give him something to fight if I added the element of revenge to it, and that was about it.

Interviewer: That's true of the prototype story, but from the very start of the actual series we see Griffith's transformed self as well as Apostles and the God Hand, so it at least certainly seems like you had worked out quite a bit of the universe before starting it, though.

Miura: It looks that way now in retrospect, but up until volume three all I had in mind was that it would be a story about anger. In preparation for starting this series, first I asked myself what it was that I had to pay attention to, and what I decided was that I would make sure that the character was angry. So then I asked myself how to make him angry. There are a lot of ways to depict anger – there's the explosive kind of anger, but then there's the kind of anger where your face just loses its color and goes expressionless. I decided I would just focus on expressing anger and hope I'd find something to work with.

So how well I could evoke the fascinatingness of an angry person was going to make or break the manga at the start. Now, how do I go about making Guts angry? Depending on the answer, he might come out looking like a scary monster and seem inhuman, or maybe he'll be scary in a more human way. And so when the God Hand showed up in the manga, Griffith still wasn't all that important yet.

Interviewer: Really? I figured that you must've had the antagonism with Griffith in mind from the start.

Miura: I think there were a bunch of things overlapping in my mind, and they start coming together around the third volume of Berserk. First of all, if Guts is angry, there is going to have to be an object of that anger. So I asked myself what people get angry at, and, well, something you see a lot of is the murderer of one's parents, but as I already said, I was someone who friendship mattered a lot to, so the idea of making the target of Guts's anger a friend, or at least a man of the same general age, naturally came to mind. So I put that character in, but then I have to give the reason why Guts is angry. So then we have the Band of the Hawk, where I make use of my own past.

Interviewer: So it was the idea of creating an "equal" character for your protagonist that brought out these things from inside yourself.

Miura: I'm not sure if this works as a lesson to take away from this, but like I said before, when you're working hard on something, sometimes you just hit upon the right thing and it all starts falling into place. I myself am someone not very good at planning, but when you stop and think about the manga you've already made, I think you'll find that there was some sort of reason behind it. Assuming you don't have multiple personalities or something.

Interviewer: It's all connected on a subconscious level, you're saying.

Miura: And if I dig into that enough, it comes together as a story. It's not something done intentionally.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Saying that Miura was born with it basically invalidates all of the years of life he sunk into his work and not going out and living it. I know you're trying to be positive about his talent but in the context of "he probably died due to decades of never leaving indoors to work on his manga" it doesn't look great.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you stop now you miss out on the titular armour, the best party member and some absolutely beautiful/horrifying and iconic imagery that is what cemented Berserk as a classic imo

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tosk posted:

If the next chapter ends with a gag from Puck (I'm sure it won't, please god let it not)

Well now that you say it I want this to happen. Puck keeps Guts and us grounded after all.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only people who have any real say in whether Berserk should continue on are the people at Studio Gaga who worked side by side with the man and know him better than any fan could and have had their entire professional careers shaped by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Didn't they start translating it in like the manga translation dark ages?