Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Ccs posted:

If anyone is chafing between chapters, I highly recommend the book "Between Two Fires" by Christopher Buehlman. It's possibly the most Berserk-esque book I've ever read, to the point that I was sure some sections were direct homages. It's historical fantasy, and the author has done a poo poo ton of research into medieval France, so it doesn't seem derivative at all. I read a ton of fantasy and this is one of the best in a long time.

It's also self contained so you get the whole story, conflict, backstory, arcs, everything, in one volume. Some great economy of storytelling.

Chiming in also to say thanks for this recommendation! I picked up a copy after reading a sample and it is indeed very Berserk-esque. Really enjoying it so far! Has just the right amount of grim dread and dark humor 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
This is so devastating. I thought he had another 20 years left at least :(

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have been a half sobbing wreck all day and I'm frustrated because I have almost no outlet. GF doesn't understand, she's only read a few pages, so I'm having to reach out to the corners of the weeb internet to feel better.

Man, same boat :( Nobody I know gets it. Where else have you found folks talking about it?

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
I'm so glad I have y'all during tough times like this <3

so put your grasses on, nothing wil be wong
dere's no brame, dere's no fame,
it's up to you~~~

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Ccs posted:

For those feeling severe Berserk withdrawal and annoyance over the fact that we will never get an official ending, I will once again recommend Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman. It is the most Berserk-esque book I have ever read. The amount of similarities are staggering, and it has a very satisfying ending. It will never provide the ending we could hope for with Berserk but it's great to read a book that shares the same sensibilities that concludes its story within a single incredibly enjoyable novel.

I think I mentioned this already in the thread but I bought this novel after your rec and can vouch that it is very good and very Berserk-esque! Great book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
I’m just so glad Berserk is back! Can’t wait to see how the team learns and adapts to Miura’s art style. It looks great but I agree with the sentiment that the fundamentals are a little off: looks like they nailed his rendering and hatching style but the underlying forms and panel composition need a little polishing. But honestly it looks drat great. Best we could hope for. And… tbh he was drawing crazy giraffe necks before he passed away, so they’re doing a good job :colbert:

Mainly I’m just stoked that such an awesome series will see an end! Been absorbed with Berserk since high school and I’m so glad they’re continuing his legacy.