Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
04/24/2020. Hope is restored.

Glad I searched before asking them to reopen the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It would be silly if Casca's return concluded in three pages. I'm willing to share in some of Gut's patience, but if there's only one chapter a year I reserve the right to start swinging a sword.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ending: Guts, Casca, and Rickert triple team and slice up Griffith until he reverts to his human shell. Farnese and Shierke use their newly learned healing powers to return his body to its health before his imprisonment. Void defeats SkullKnight in the battle, but is subsequently killed by Serpico. The other Godhand are similarly wiped out.

(Hmm something has to return existence to separate planes.)

In the closing pages we see whispered words, "I sacrifice". As Elfhelm is taken in one single mighty gulp, we see a small lone figure standing in Void's place atop the hand.

LordMune posted:

Translation is done (it was a doozy, let me tell you) and cleaning is probably done, but there's a lot of wobbly text to letter by hand.
I glanced at the raws and said "Wow lots of words!". Thank you!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

KittenofDoom posted:

I got bored and made a felted wool Behelit 👹

Very cute and fuzzy. :3: Which stuffed animal was sacrificed for that?

I'm sad to admit I saw that and immediately thought about taking a https://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/products/coronavirus.html and turning it into a Behelit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Welcome to the boat. (It's one of those "slow boats from X")

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Archer666 posted:

it'll reach the end of an arc and just stops without any solid conclusion to the overal plot.
Or he'll sacrifice his notes at the time of his death so we'll never know his intentions, nor even have a concluded arc.

We should probably look at the last 100 chapters and ask which would have been the worst stopping spot in our opinions. (It'll probably be worse than that.)

Is the chapter appearing soon? Next week?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Oh no, not more Golden Age. :histdowns:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

HenryEx posted:

Sign me the gently caress up, who wouldn't want to escape the rest of the world indefinitely right now
The original band of the hawk? :hampants:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Archer666 posted:

Puck becomes an Apostle and usurps Griffiths kingdom so he can enact a full on Puckocracy.
Puck is in possession of a behelit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I don't know, I feel like we're overlooking the fact that Griffith was rejected. That means either a rampage or he's gonna sulk and "let them suffer the result of their decision without his assistance" (which means the apostles run free).

Has Griffith grown at all since the eclipse or is he a static character? Earlier claims of indifference to Guts were relative lies (hill of swords), so indifference to Rickert's reaction may well be the same. Based on his past solutions, he seems poised to attempt the next elevation of power at great cost, perhaps resulting in expulsion from the Godhand.

It may well be a downfall that results in permanent transformation to the child.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Burkion posted:

I think the fact that an apostle went to kill Rickert really loving quickly answers this question handily
Hmm, I didn't interpret that as an order from Griffith, but Grundb... whoever was watching got pissed off and decided that "the blasphemer must be cleansed".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Behelits have activated over despair for children before. Of anyone in the party, Casca has unresolved rage, particularly over potential realizations about a lost child.

On the other hand, if the moon child is able to teleport Casca away from the island, Guts will probably go to save her.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Viridiant posted:

So much of this story has been dark and horrible and traumatic already, I don't see the need for more of that.
There was a collection of scary dick monsters just a short while ago, Casca seeing only the eclipse when she looks at Guts, his armor taking control and echoing anther eclipse, ongoing battles led by Griffith and the war beasts, an attempt to kill Rickert, ...

(And the general state of the real world right now is not exactly booming economies leading to endless parties, early retirement, and decades of leisurely health.)

(I need to look back at that final panel but something about that walk struck me as more aggressive than usual for that character. It didn't seem like a welcoming face, but I may be misremembering.)

Are we reading the same manga? :munch:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Something is being forgotten. Wyald strips Griffith bare, making it clear to the hawks that he's broken and powerless. Guts though, his sole equal, sits with him and laughs about wearing the armor. Once Casca and Guts talk, however, Griffith flees.

Why? A simple act of revenge could be achieved in a different way, so is he merely hoping to "pull a Guts" in order to become self sufficient and powerful on his own? Is it a mistaken idea that "he doesn't need the hawks"?

His identity was based on absolute rule, not so much as monarch, but as leader and commander and ideal. At the tree his ideas of control and personal strength were shattered, so he directed that elsewhere. When imprisoned he focused much of his gaze on Guts and started to question his path (where was the Casca as homemaker scene?).

When Guts appears he tries to strangle him (tendonless), later realizes the bond with him, but then flees the next impending betrayal from Casca; even though she's staying, he doesn't have her heart, and he lost the hawks when laid bare by wyald.

His decision during the eclipse seems to follow the model of detachment a la Guts, but it's coupled to revenge. His new goal is to strangle Guts and destroying Casca in the process is meant to increase that pain. He had the hawks chomped up as disposable because who among them is his 'friend'.

Griffith fled because he realized his path was broken and in error, but in the eclipse he finds an opportunity to get back on it. Simply killing Guts wouldn't be sufficient. Griffith wanted to show his path as superior, that Guts would again "lose the sword fight for personal control" and become his slave, his pawn.

His subsequent attempt at detachment from Guts may echo the tree, the fleeing in the wagon... but Griffith still hasn't figured out how to grow on his own. Guts, on his own path, became independently powerful and subsequently has been learning how to grow with others. The paths seem to be "steamroll everyone into your dream" versus "invite everyone into your dream".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The series is simply not sexually inert. Even in "the best arc" (disagree but shrug) Griffith sells his body for power, Guts is sold as a child, and the manga opens with a human-demon sex/murder scene. Neither is Casca's background particularly free of troubles, but presumably this permits setting up a contrast and comparison between Casca and Guts' shared experience.

The existence of the Holy See also suggests a strongly paternalistic society, so the treatment of women seems rather aligned with that. Conviction, though, throws all the heathens into the pit together, and suggests equal punishment and sexual infidelity of all the people. Apparently all the Lost Children can initiate an adult attack (I'd have to check).

Given the strong female characters (Casca is the second in command) and the weak male characters (there's lots of whining in Golden Age), the usual equating of women being weak is somewhat passed over. The connection between power corrupting and sexual abusiveness, however, remains.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Seriously. If you want to deconstruct it and talk about treatment of a particular group, then actually look at the broad range of deplorable themes within the context of the genre, the medium, and the time period.

If you're just sad about Guts chopping a horse in half, you might want to find a different manga to read.

#ApostlesChomp :razz:

Where's our next chapter?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wow. I saw the quick note last night about a fake post and now there are 200+ and thought, "Maybe they are announcing the next chapter and plan for the remainder of the year". Like many who have been reading for the past fifteen years, I have reread and caught up multiple times but slowed down recently. It seemed like there was a pause but I was anticipating that Miura was just building up the remaining pieces in his mind and we'd be seeing a flurry of passionate activity soon.

But now.

Guts will never know that Griffith is better than he was on the hill of swords, and Griffith will never know that Guts followed through on his own dream with Casca.

:(

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
And we are left in perpetual hiatus. After everything he did for us, Miura became Griffith after all.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Zarin posted:

Yeah, the first time I watched the '97 anime, I got to the end and was confused as gently caress.

On a whim, I put the first disc back in because I was so confused and was hoping there would be some answers or . . . something?

And, oh yeah - going into the series completely cold with the '97 anime and rewatching the first episode after the complete mindfuck that was the last episode, that paid off in spades. Just so incredibly well done, with the hushed references to "It all went to poo poo when Griffith became king" "SHUT UP, someone might hear you!"; the missing eye, the bigger sword . . . everything just kinda fell into place.
Berserk was the first manga I bought precisely because of this. I was right back on the first episode immediately looking for what I had forgotten, then watched the whole thing through again to tease out all the nuances. It's one of the best examples of hook-line-sinker I've ever had the pleasure to get caught on.

Then after watching it thru twice, and the first episode one more time, I was on abebooks dropping $15 each as soon as the volumes were available.

I was running some of the wider spreads on my big tv this afternoon. I teared up a bit when I saw Guts and Griffith at the tree, and when I saw Zodd guarding against SK.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Falconia was definitely going to be the second fallen city, it was just a matter of finding the right trigger and deciding if the godhand would go back to existing only in their plane or be removed as no longer necessary to humanity. The "expected" outcome would be the infinite loop, godhand mostly destroyed with one new head character waiting for the first eclipse, but I don't know that Miura would have been so boring. (We also don't know all the rules, so it's an interesting exercise to ponder how the newVoid would end up being Guts, or Casca, or quasi-psychic girl, or the newly-married princess.)

I'd be okay with them publishing Miuras unused notes, but has any interview ever revealed that he actually had anything written down? I'd think endgame and continuity would be something you'd document, not that it's immutable but to help ensure arcs don't deviate so far that you suddenly can't finish the story because a character disappeared.

(Haven't started my reread just yet. Hazy from vaccine for a few days here, so it would be an injustice to just flip through without fully appreciating it.)

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Nice that someone is in the thread reading golden age For The First time and people aren't spoiler tagging?

But seriously get through golden age quickly so you can get to one of the two best arcs. :clint:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TheLoneStar posted:

Something I never commented on was how much I really love the art of Berserk. Every page is amazing, and there's so much detail in the battles, the armor, the clothing of the royalty. Such a treat for the eyes.
It is indeed why many of us see this as a great loss. Compare

with what Berserk became

Imagine a museum with the originals and magnifying glasses.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
These have been a couple of funny pages. Almost enough to break through the tears.

Just made me think that when I reread it here in the next few weeks I'm going to do Black Swordsman, Golden Age, the interlude, then Black Swordsman again before lost children.

Consider the chronology. Theresia makes Guts cry, then Lost children...

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TheLoneStar posted:

I guess I hadn't realized that had driven him so insane.
He immediately responds by raping Charlotte. He didn't beat up Corkus, didn't send Casca through some torturous training, didn't find some enemies to go hack to bits, didn't bother to find someone else in power to assassinate. He went with the easiest, most direct solution. Lowest cost, greatest reward (greatest risk).

Figuratively and literally, "his sword was broken". Not only could he not recover Guts, he couldn't even participate in battle. That "arm" had been removed. What was left was his boyish looks or tactical skill. And with the queen gone, who really cares about a daughter they'll probably high-five me!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Disagree. :)

On the one hand Griffith never "lost his mind" or went insane. He was the same controlling ab/user the entire time. Going to Charlotte was tactically accurate: He was using her because the king would have to acquiesce if there was a child. It was a direct power play.

But what's being forgotten here is what Griffith himself says atop the hand after being told that his path was interrupted: Guts is the only one who made him forget his dream. Griffith had that dream firmly in his mind until that sword broke. As Dr just reminded us, Griffith was thinking about Guts, not Charlotte. About Guts, not the torture. About his hands around Guts' throat, not the Hawks. Hanging out with Guts and the armor, not what the Hawks were doing next.

The period where Griffith lost his dream? Sword to sacrifice.

Happy I'm gathering things to look for when I start the reread here, hopefully within the next week.

ps I'm not sure I've ever made sense of the move on Casca. Maybe he knew Guts was independent but wanted to see if Casca was going to stay because she still worshipped him or actually loved him instead of Guts? Or the fleeing, not sure what he hoped to achieve. (But again I'd say it's because he had "lost Guts so he had lost everything".)

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 24, 2021

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Dumb question. Miura has said the story (the first part anyway) is based on a childhood/teenage experience. Has there been an indication of who it was in what circumstances? I really wonder what their thoughts were when they found out Miura died.

Second question (poor memory). Does Guts ever learn that the downfall occurred immediately after his departure? Casca obviously shares what they've been going through, but she's not a complete jerk so it doesn't seem likely she'd acknowledge much beyond "yeah it's me I'm pissed you left". Does anyone every actually say, "You destroyed Griffith"?

And since I was flipping through the eclipse checking Griffith's last line, I remembered my next reason to cry.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TheLoneStar posted:

I feel bad for Rosine, even though she really had to be put down. Got turned into a demon without knowing what she was really doing and clearly went completely insane as a result. ... Went from giving a girl a knife to slit her wrist with to just telling Jill to go home because it's too dangerous for her to be with him.
Seems like your demons kill you, define you, or you go through hell overcoming them. Choose your path.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So the apostle in black swordsman is being sent women and children as food. So then, in Falconia are they doing the same thing but it just hasn't been noticed yet? Those beasties get rather chompy.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Also Guts tears at the skin on his arm, the same way Griffith was trying to tear his arm off in the river. I've always felt there was something there I was missing, but is it just intended to be psychological? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excoriation_disorder

I've started my reread! :3:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Hel posted:

I think the medium (Sonia?) promises to bring them some human corpses after she brings the new guy there, but I gather it's not standard and they survive on other kinds of flesh in the meantime.
That may be part of it indeed, that Sonia has some way to help alleviate those concerns. Certainly it's claimed that the arena battles and actual battles keep them under control, but I'd think that would only go so far. I'll keep my eyes open regarding Sonia (if I remember haha) when I get there.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yeah not sure why you'd need to read thirty chapters a day. You need some time to stop and think about what's happening and what might be coming next. It might be better to set a goal for a reading timeline and then sorta stuck to that target +-1 chapter a day. Otherwise you're gonna be like an eight year old that doesn't know when to stop playing games and go to sleep. :downsgun: It's not like we could have even helped slow you down since you're reading "arcs per day".

I'm not a big fan of Conviction. We'll see what happens during the reread. If we have a survey of "best arc", be sure to include "worst arc" because people seem to have quite the love/hate thing going on when they post.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Horse and rider chopped in half in the first chapter. :3: Golden age is just window dressing.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'm targeting one book per day but it will be rough this weekend to avoid reading all of them.

End of book one, I'm enjoying the juxtaposition between the torn up face of the "physician" and the appearance of the behelit.

The town is well drawn. Obviously nothing like twenty books from now but you can see how those panoramic details will come to life in Miura's future work. Even from the beginning though, you actually want to look at what's on the page.

The old joke about counting Guts kills is because it's possible to do since the bodies are visible (though I'm not going to hold him to exacting continuity of positions in Black Swordsman, or ever haha). http://skullknight.net/roster/

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Flesnolk posted:

Why does the snake apostle baron back at the start bother wearing armour? Doesn't seem like he particularly cares about pretending to be human.
Throughout the series the apostles seem to adapt elements to their human forms. It seems likely that armor was his before becoming an apostle considering his utter focus on death and crunching sounds of people under hooves.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Bisse posted:

Quiz: Which apostle are you?
Does it have to be one Miura introduced? I suspect there's too much competition for "I just want to hear the moans, groans, and screams, as people are forced to read my terrible posts".

:thunk: You've actually posed a rather difficult question.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

multijoe posted:

Griffith's got exactly what he wanted all long, he's the king of the world and everybody loves him. I don't know why it should be taken as read that it's a scam and he's planning to kill his devoted followers - he is *literally* living the dream
Griffith was living solidly on the path to his dream when he was set back, which he blames on Guts. Then, when presented with the opportune shortcut, he takes it because that dream was more important than his devoted followers. Remember he just got through (well a few years but yeah) telling Charlotte he had no friends, then he proved it. He was using the Hawks to his own ends, both as soldiers then as sacrifices.

Now then, can we honestly say that Griffith cares more about the people of Falconia than the Hawks? What if his dream is challenged from outside (Silat's people, elves, the Godhand)? There are plenty of apostles to help in a battle, but they're oh so tired and just need some nice humans to chomp... down go the Falconians.

That's just within what we clearly know, but what about the variable number of Godhand? If there's a reboot, how is the leftover single member decided? Greatest sacrifice? If they kill/remove each other, what's the collateral damage? There seems to be lots of room for Griffith to use his devoted followers again when needed, and it's not so much a voluntary strategy as much as it's his pattern of using people when the opportunity arises.

(Which makes me think of another weird angle, that Griffith ab/used himself for the dream, so is there an outcome where Femto battles against the Godhand to save Casca/Guts? Because he realizes he does care.)

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Black Swordsman, Guts: I can't be bothered by some good-for-nothing bastard acting like we're friends. He'll end up dragging me down with him.

Later: The reward for ambition too great is self destruction.

Meanwhile he's fighting with himself about Vargas. Of course Guts was going after the count anyway, but now there's this tinge of compassion creeping in, which he blows away with anger. There's also this interesting spot where he starts to transform, teeth start growing pointed, fingers turn into claws... I guess it's either supposed to be possession or ultimately non-canon, cause I don't think dogguts looks like that.

Anyway, I feel like the initial statement is more aimed at Griffith than the Hawks in general, but it's fairly clear even at this early stage why Guts is keeping people away. That hidden compassion is actually about him not dragging others into the mess, which seems fairly well established by the end of Lost Children.

ps Sorry I'm not quite keeping up with the book club. :3:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Holy moley, I just asked myself why there hadn't been any Berserk posts in a while (wondering when we might expect the next update). :cry:

I'm sorry things got in the way and my reread stalled. The volume is on the table waiting for the right moment to pounce like a Behelit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'd really like to see the collected remaining notes and unfinished panels and sketches. Unfortunately they'll probably show up in individual batches at auction for thirty years if they exist, and I wouldn't be able to read them anyway.

Having some sort of outline is fairly typical, but I suppose it's wishful thinking that there would be a drafted ending. There's probably at least ten of them.

I guess I'm still in denial, haha. I was patiently waiting to see the resolution, confident that we'd make it and I'd be alive long enough to arrive. Now it's up to me to envision my own resolution and I fear I may be far less optimistic than Miura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I expect this will lead to quite a number of complaints that Griffith's hair didn't take up a four page spread.