Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

04/24/2020. Hope is restored.

Glad I searched before asking them to reopen the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

It would be silly if Casca's return concluded in three pages. I'm willing to share in some of Gut's patience, but if there's only one chapter a year I reserve the right to start swinging a sword.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Ending: Guts, Casca, and Rickert triple team and slice up Griffith until he reverts to his human shell. Farnese and Shierke use their newly learned healing powers to return his body to its health before his imprisonment. Void defeats SkullKnight in the battle, but is subsequently killed by Serpico. The other Godhand are similarly wiped out.

(Hmm something has to return existence to separate planes.)

In the closing pages we see whispered words, "I sacrifice". As Elfhelm is taken in one single mighty gulp, we see a small lone figure standing in Void's place atop the hand.

LordMune posted:

Translation is done (it was a doozy, let me tell you) and cleaning is probably done, but there's a lot of wobbly text to letter by hand.
I glanced at the raws and said "Wow lots of words!". Thank you!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

KittenofDoom posted:

I got bored and made a felted wool Behelit 👹

Very cute and fuzzy. Which stuffed animal was sacrificed for that?

I'm sad to admit I saw that and immediately thought about taking a https://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/products/coronavirus.html and turning it into a Behelit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Welcome to the boat. (It's one of those "slow boats from X")

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Archer666 posted:

it'll reach the end of an arc and just stops without any solid conclusion to the overal plot.
Or he'll sacrifice his notes at the time of his death so we'll never know his intentions, nor even have a concluded arc.

We should probably look at the last 100 chapters and ask which would have been the worst stopping spot in our opinions. (It'll probably be worse than that.)

Is the chapter appearing soon? Next week?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Oh no, not more Golden Age.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

HenryEx posted:

Sign me the gently caress up, who wouldn't want to escape the rest of the world indefinitely right now
The original band of the hawk?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Archer666 posted:

Puck becomes an Apostle and usurps Griffiths kingdom so he can enact a full on Puckocracy.
Puck is in possession of a behelit.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

I don't know, I feel like we're overlooking the fact that Griffith was rejected. That means either a rampage or he's gonna sulk and "let them suffer the result of their decision without his assistance" (which means the apostles run free).

Has Griffith grown at all since the eclipse or is he a static character? Earlier claims of indifference to Guts were relative lies (hill of swords), so indifference to Rickert's reaction may well be the same. Based on his past solutions, he seems poised to attempt the next elevation of power at great cost, perhaps resulting in expulsion from the Godhand.

It may well be a downfall that results in permanent transformation to the child.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Burkion posted:

I think the fact that an apostle went to kill Rickert really loving quickly answers this question handily
Hmm, I didn't interpret that as an order from Griffith, but Grundb... whoever was watching got pissed off and decided that "the blasphemer must be cleansed".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Behelits have activated over despair for children before. Of anyone in the party, Casca has unresolved rage, particularly over potential realizations about a lost child.

On the other hand, if the moon child is able to teleport Casca away from the island, Guts will probably go to save her.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Viridiant posted:

So much of this story has been dark and horrible and traumatic already, I don't see the need for more of that.
There was a collection of scary dick monsters just a short while ago, Casca seeing only the eclipse when she looks at Guts, his armor taking control and echoing anther eclipse, ongoing battles led by Griffith and the war beasts, an attempt to kill Rickert, ...

(And the general state of the real world right now is not exactly booming economies leading to endless parties, early retirement, and decades of leisurely health.)

(I need to look back at that final panel but something about that walk struck me as more aggressive than usual for that character. It didn't seem like a welcoming face, but I may be misremembering.)

Are we reading the same manga?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Something is being forgotten. Wyald strips Griffith bare, making it clear to the hawks that he's broken and powerless. Guts though, his sole equal, sits with him and laughs about wearing the armor. Once Casca and Guts talk, however, Griffith flees.

Why? A simple act of revenge could be achieved in a different way, so is he merely hoping to "pull a Guts" in order to become self sufficient and powerful on his own? Is it a mistaken idea that "he doesn't need the hawks"?

His identity was based on absolute rule, not so much as monarch, but as leader and commander and ideal. At the tree his ideas of control and personal strength were shattered, so he directed that elsewhere. When imprisoned he focused much of his gaze on Guts and started to question his path (where was the Casca as homemaker scene?).

When Guts appears he tries to strangle him (tendonless), later realizes the bond with him, but then flees the next impending betrayal from Casca; even though she's staying, he doesn't have her heart, and he lost the hawks when laid bare by wyald.

His decision during the eclipse seems to follow the model of detachment a la Guts, but it's coupled to revenge. His new goal is to strangle Guts and destroying Casca in the process is meant to increase that pain. He had the hawks chomped up as disposable because who among them is his 'friend'.

Griffith fled because he realized his path was broken and in error, but in the eclipse he finds an opportunity to get back on it. Simply killing Guts wouldn't be sufficient. Griffith wanted to show his path as superior, that Guts would again "lose the sword fight for personal control" and become his slave, his pawn.

His subsequent attempt at detachment from Guts may echo the tree, the fleeing in the wagon... but Griffith still hasn't figured out how to grow on his own. Guts, on his own path, became independently powerful and subsequently has been learning how to grow with others. The paths seem to be "steamroll everyone into your dream" versus "invite everyone into your dream".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

The series is simply not sexually inert. Even in "the best arc" (disagree but shrug) Griffith sells his body for power, Guts is sold as a child, and the manga opens with a human-demon sex/murder scene. Neither is Casca's background particularly free of troubles, but presumably this permits setting up a contrast and comparison between Casca and Guts' shared experience.

The existence of the Holy See also suggests a strongly paternalistic society, so the treatment of women seems rather aligned with that. Conviction, though, throws all the heathens into the pit together, and suggests equal punishment and sexual infidelity of all the people. Apparently all the Lost Children can initiate an adult attack (I'd have to check).

Given the strong female characters (Casca is the second in command) and the weak male characters (there's lots of whining in Golden Age), the usual equating of women being weak is somewhat passed over. The connection between power corrupting and sexual abusiveness, however, remains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Seriously. If you want to deconstruct it and talk about treatment of a particular group, then actually look at the broad range of deplorable themes within the context of the genre, the medium, and the time period.

If you're just sad about Guts chopping a horse in half, you might want to find a different manga to read.

#ApostlesChomp

Where's our next chapter?