Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Changeman! And Not A Moment Too Soon!

Yep that's about right for Berserk fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

I call deck chair

Burkion
May 10, 2012

"Mine was a dugong."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Zasze posted:

She looks like the sculpture on his horses front armor kinda.

We don't get a good look at her ears

She might have been an Elf Queen like the Stormflower King

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Thinking about it he could have been an Elf himself

Though that is unlikely I admit

Burkion
May 10, 2012

"I want to be a nose with legs."

"Uh....a giant one?"

"gently caress you. I said what I said."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

The fact that there were previous God Hand members who aren't around anymore means that they can die via ways other than the Dragonslayer, which makes me curious how or by whom

Well

I mean

We have a good idea of whom

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

oh yeah that would make sense wouldn't it lmao I'm dumb

I wonder what skull knight even is given that he's immortal but also fighting against the godhand which apostles wouldn't be able to do, you'd think given how it's the source of their power

So, going by the series clues and what they've stated out right, he's a Wraith at the moment. He may have either been an Elf or a Human king in life, warrior either way, Godhand hosed his poo poo up and Void betrayed him. He got the Berserker armor and followed Guts path, including having a sorceress helping him. The difference was the berserker armor either straight up ate him, or left him in such a state that he was effectively dead. So they packed his soul or what was left of his body into the Skull Knight armor.

In effect, he's a soul bound to his current armor, unwilling to die but not truly alive.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Tosk posted:

I honestly think it would look pretty cool if they'd gone with a design other than "brain jelly" for the base

I'm wondering how canonical it is, and honestly even if its just based on the concept I'm sure the art will do it better justice than that

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

If Miura continues the entire rest of Berserk finishing only 3-4 chapters a year, I'm sure the story will finish in a spectacular manner, with every plot thread accounted for

I just hope I will be still alive then

I hope he will be alive then

Burkion
May 10, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I don't know, I feel like we're overlooking the fact that Griffith was rejected. That means either a rampage or he's gonna sulk and "let them suffer the result of their decision without his assistance" (which means the apostles run free).

Has Griffith grown at all since the eclipse or is he a static character? Earlier claims of indifference to Guts were relative lies (hill of swords), so indifference to Rickert's reaction may well be the same. Based on his past solutions, he seems poised to attempt the next elevation of power at great cost, perhaps resulting in expulsion from the Godhand.

It may well be a downfall that results in permanent transformation to the child.

I think the fact that an apostle went to kill Rickert really loving quickly answers this question handily

Griffith talks a big game about not caring anymore, but he super does

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Hmm, I didn't interpret that as an order from Griffith, but Grundb... whoever was watching got pissed off and decided that "the blasphemer must be cleansed".

I doubt Griffith ordered it personally but he also allowed it to go on

Burkion
May 10, 2012

So Danann is probably the daughter of Skull Knight and the Lady Priestess, right? Though considering she's an elf, she could be the mother I suppose. The way she acted towards Skull Knight is interesting and there's an implicit relationship there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

This manga is for pedophiles.

Strange I'm pretty sure he was one of the manga creators who didn't welcome a noted pedophile back to the fold

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Guts going on an insane quest to try and save his child from Griffith would be a pretty good beat to follow from this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Darko posted:

He still got fate-manipulated into the whole years of torture thing to get to that point though.

It was still doing the Hellraiser thing. To become a Cenobite, he did have to do his torture penance thing like Pinhead and the rest.

How many times do you think he had to have his dick peeled before he decided that this wasn't worth it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Darko posted:

This is getting into a whole philosophical discussion, but once gods exist, nobody actually chooses anything because the God creates what the person is for their long term plans and makes the person that makes the decision they want ahead of time. Thats the point of Guts - you can't plan around him.

The issue becomes what happens with Femto. If Godhand are timeless than he essentially created himself which makes him far worse than imagined before.

Guts is not a reflection on the water

Burkion
May 10, 2012

I'm still not sure the previous four were God Hand

We always conflated the Angels with the God Hand despite the internal problems that presented- Void IS the first of the God Hand, we knew that, but also he was turned into Void by the 'Four Angels'

I think the Angels are something else. They seem even more removed from humanity than the God Hand are.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

He's the first of the Godhand roster we meet during the Eclipse.

I'm pretty sure they've said out right that he is the first of the God Hand in general, too. They've mentioned him being the eldest God Hand

Burkion
May 10, 2012

The best ending possible is for Guts and Caska to free themselves from the Vortex, so that they can die and ascend to peace instead of that misery

That's basically THE real end goal. Break the chains of that. Beyond that, I think the happiest ending of Berserk would be a simple admission of truth. The idea of evil will always exist, there will always be new horrors

But also, there will always be those who struggle against that fate. Just as there will be more demons in the future, so will there be strugglers. That is life.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Can I just say, the sheer fact we can have this kind of complex conversation about morality and the nature of what it even means to be a person and the complexities therein, without it being SO FAR BEYOND THE SCOPE of what the work is actually about, is one of the things I loving love about Berserk

Like yeah okay there are plenty of hard edged super serious fantasy and sci-fi things I could track down that go into this, but none of them do it while also being loving outstanding and fun. Berserk is about a big angry man who doesn't know anything, wants to know less, has a sword as big as he is, and he loving rides demons to chop thunderstorms in half

And it STILL manages to be more nuanced and philosophically fulfilling than most anything else you care to name out there

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Also Japanese sometimes flat out does not translate nicely. Even in work officially localized, some names can be done a million loving different ways. Ask I, the Ultraman fan, how many ways one can spell Gomora

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The big rear end Deluxe volumes are around 50% in now, by my reckoning.

Just about yeah

By the time the 13th is released, we'll be caught up with the present

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Paperback Writer posted:

A few months ago I was looking for medieval anime and found out about Berserk. I first watched a fan cut edit of the movies on YouTube with 1996 stuff added in. I read everyone saying the 2016 series wasnít worth watching so I didnít. Until a few weeks ago, and frankly I loved it. The story and good voice acting was still there even with questionable CGI. I needed more, so started the Ď96 series from the beginning. And finally now, Iím reading the manga! Itís my first manga actually.

You are in for a great time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

We haven't had weird sex stuff since the trolls, right?

We didn't even get any weird sex stuff when we had tentacle monsters hanging out.

There was the stuff about how the Demon Army was born but that wasn't in the same kind of category as the other stuff. That was throw women into a pit of horrors and out pops demon babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

Seriously. If you want to deconstruct it and talk about treatment of a particular group, then actually look at the broad range of deplorable themes within the context of the genre, the medium, and the time period.

If you're just sad about Guts chopping a horse in half, you might want to find a different manga to read.

#ApostlesChomp

Where's our next chapter?

Shocking everyone, Berserk is on hiatus for the foreseeable future