Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

griffith immediately self destructed in a fit of pique at guts not subsuming himself to griffith's dream, and has spent the subsequent years propagating amoral murder rape demons in order to herd humanity into a childish dream kingdom where every element of society spotlights directly onto him

something tells me that there might have been underlying character flaws which would have precluded a happy ending in the event guts stayed. almost like... it was a fated outcome

At least it is true that man has no control, even over his own will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I mean, if the Idea of Evil (which may not even be canon) is created from humanity's collective belief that suffering has a purpose why can't a new collective belief in something else create an opposing Idea that can at least keep it in check?

Not sure how you'd do that in a non-hamfisted way though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think fate is a convenient excuse to abdicate the responsibility of one's actions. If Griffith's choice was determined by fate then he can't be held morally responsible for what he did because never had a choice in the matter and so why should he feel bad? I'm not terribly sympathetic to that idea. On the other hand there were certainly forces at work that conspired to bring Griffith to that moment but even if he was led to that door, I still believe he made the choice to walk through it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think it was roughly around the same time. Within a couple of years I think

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He’s definitely eased off the rape as time has passed, I think it was definitely a crutch at the start

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Slightly Absurd posted:

I must admit, I really don't get your point, since you don't elaborate on it. Nobody's forcing you to read the chapters that come out after Miura died.

I think the argument is they feel it's disrespectful to Miura and that Berserk should end with him.

And assuming that's the argument I would say it depends on what his wishes were, which unfortunately none of us are in a position to divine. His assistants would have a better measure of that, I think.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Slightly Absurd posted:

I must admit, I really don't get your point, since you don't elaborate on it. Nobody's forcing you to read the chapters that come out after Miura died.

In Tosk's defense they have expressed this in greater detail earlier in the thread

Tosk posted:

I'll go ahead and slap the disclaimer on here: this is just my opinion.

After the chapters Kentaro more or less completed are finished, then Berserk needs to be put to rest. His assistants should not continue it. Young Animal should not milk it for tragedy bux. It is a work of art and it died with its creator, and being ghostwritten to completion would be a sham. If there are detailed notes on what remains of the story, sure, release them so that the fans can have some semblance of an ending.

But otherwise, let us make our peace. To me, there was no small measure of beauty in the fact that the last chapter worked, narratively, as a very cruelly open-ended but still coherent conclusion to the story: Casca's mind was restored, she and Guts were about to meet their son and the infinite possibilities up to and including realizing that he shares a soul with Griffith, and Griffith's dream was realized. (just because I noticed some people were reading through in the last few pages)

When I found out about this chapter, my first reaction was to be mildly distraught. The cliffhanger in 363 works, at least a little. If the next chapter ends with a gag from Puck (I'm sure it won't, please god let it not) or halfway through a scene, that would be terrible and I will legitimately feel terrible about it. I will probably cry at the inevitable message regarding Kentaro's passing that will almost surely be included, but I am okay with that

Berserk keeps entering my thoughts. I followed it for so many years, through all of my troubled adolescence, endured the boat and rejoiced when we got off it. My first girlfriend painted me a portrait of Guts and Griffith, such was my obsession. I've been playing through the Dark Souls trilogy for the first time recently and have been finding it extremely cathartic as a result of the sheer volume of references to Berserk, coupled with the similar dark fantasy aesthetic. No other work of fiction has really elicited such an emotional response from me, or lodged itself so deeply in my psyche that I still think about it on a weekly basis in some way.

I've been thinking of getting a tattoo of the brand. This is not a new idea to me, but I always held off because I was worried that Berserk would go to poo poo or something and fifteen years later I'd feel like a jerk over something that would have lost importance to me. Since Kentaro's death, I've reconsidered this and it seems more and more like something I want to do.

Here is a lovely picture of the not-at-all-lovely drawing my ex did for me when I was 16:

https://i.imgur.com/kQZRzIG.jpeg

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
For me, personally, I can't imagine spending 30 years of my life on something and wanting it to stay unfinished. But I'm also obviously coming to that conclusion because I selfishly want to see the ending.

E: I do understand where you're coming from though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Eej posted:

The only people who have any real say in whether Berserk should continue on are the people at Studio Gaga who worked side by side with the man and know him better than any fan could and have had their entire professional careers shaped by him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Claymation Berserk imo.

His assistants write faster, but the production of each chapter still takes as long

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ok everyone who's your favorite character and why is it Schnoz?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Evidently the manga we're not supposed to talk about has been canceled, not sure if that portends anything about Berserk specifically though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What's crazy is that he really hasn't been using the armor all that long in-universe (out of universe it's been decades, of course) so it's wasting him quick

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The first couple of chapters can come off a bit edgelordy so if that ends up putting you off just know it's not totally indicative of the whole series. That said, I don't want to come down too hard on it either since there's a lot of good stuff already happening too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Even if they end it here I wouldn’t mind a rough outline of how it was supposed to wrap up even if we never get to see it actually executed

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Griffith did nothing wrong.

Because Griffith did nothing. At least it is true that man has no control, even over his own will

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Good soup! posted:

Tbh I still hope they ultimately keep it going

Pretty hosed up to say I hope they stop the mass murder and rape

E: this doesn’t work as well on a different page from the last two posts

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC Guts has basically been bucking fate since the moment he was born and something about existing in the interstice has only amplified that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

trucutru posted:

They were branded for death by the not-at-all metaphorical hand of god itself and survived. That's undeniable proof that, at that point, they went outside of their fate. Maybe a new fate was spun for them afterwards, but that's something different.

Doesn't the metaphor of a fish jumping out of water get used at some point? Like the fish is defying fate but also not really because it goes back into the water and gets swallowed up regardless.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Shoehead posted:

Guts just walks straight up to Griffith and kisses him on the mouth the end

"Sorry, about everything Guts. I guess I went... a little berserk."

~Fin~

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He's probably in a much better position than I am to divine what Miura's wishes for this situation would be.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I obviously can't speak for Miura, but I think I would personally feel quite honored if a group of people I trusted quite deeply and led by a peer who was also a dear friend I had known for decades took it upon themselves to finish a lifelong work as a tribute to me.

I'm sure there are artists that would prefer if their work died with them, but if that's truly how he felt I can't imagine they'd be going forward with this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If/when the Idea of Evil is re-introduced the fandom is going to flip out.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The art looks nearly 1 to 1 for Miura and that's more than I could have asked for. My only concern is if the story keeps moving at the breakneck pace it's apparently going for.

It probably will. I think they've said they're only going to do the plot beats they're sure of, without adding anything or doing anything they're not sure of.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jiro posted:

All I see here is that Guts needs to commune with his Zanpaktou in order to finally unlock his bankai. Which will probably just regrow his hand. :v:

Gonna have a fight with his Beast until he learns that all it ever wanted to do was protect him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

the distant griffith ten seconds in is my favorite

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Rip to my comrades but I’m different

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

David D. Davidson posted:

That's more of a gameplay and story segregation thing. If it were otherwise by the third game there'd be posters all over Kamurocho with Kiryu's on them cautoning people not to challenge him to a fight.

One of the games suggests that newer gang members are specifically directed at him as a form of hazing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I guess in the end, man does have control -- if only over his own will!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Good soup! posted:

I really really wish they didn't recast the Japanese voices for the movies and 2016 because I loving love the original voice for guts and I had gotten so used to it from 97, the Dreamcast game (imported version hell yeah) and the PS2 game which did a bunch of scenes better than the most recent series which is embarrassing as hell lol

The dub for Berserk 97 isn't perfect but came out at a time when most dubs were firmly jokes IMO, and it improved as the series went along.

Wtf yes it is

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Good soup! posted:

lol yeah I love it and all, but there's still the occasional hammy delivery or situation like Sean Schemmel who sounds like he's playing every other background soldier so they all sound the same

Given the time period it's still impressive they found a good range of actors, as Void sounds great (really all of the Godhand are cast well), Adon Coborlwitz, Foss, a bunch of other supporting characters are cast well at a time when they could just get any person to just disguise their voice and try to sound old/young and it comes off unintentionally funny or just bad

That being said, Godo doesn't sound nearly old enough imo and it always bothered me somewhat

And yet Sean Schemmel was also Godhand member Conrad so you’ve already admitted he was well cast no takebacks

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also more than just acting as a trauma point for Guts and Casca, everything about the Moonchild is intrinsically linked to that moment of rape.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Again though, I think it comes back to the child. It's created through an act of loving sex, but then its nature is corrupted by Femto recreating that moment in a twisted mockery -- this leads to its peculiar existence which is also what leads to Griffith reincarnating himself, and everything that's come from that.

I won't disagree about Casca being insane for a decade being a major misstep, although that's as much an issue of output as it is story pacing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Arc Hammer posted:

If art was made in a vacuum and we didn't have to wait so long for updates it wouldn't be as big an issue but because it did end up happening that way and taking ten years it's part of the conversation and it's frustrating.

On the other hand that should mean it's less of an issue on re-read and for those just getting into the series. But that's a whole other conversation about completed works vs ones still in progress and all that, I suppose.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Problmatic as it would be, to have her go insane again almost immediately after the culmination of a decade-long quest to undo it the first time would be an act of trolling so masterful I could only respond with awe

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I guess Arc's point would still be that this is primarily in service of showing Griffith's arc as a demonstration of how far he has fallen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Bisse posted:

Hmm I stopped watching around Season 5, so never saw or heard of this. It sounds also dumb and bad!

TBH the Jaime/Cersei rape scene by Joffrey's dead body was probably the worst one and that was in season 4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I legitimately don't remember that conversation. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just amazed that somehow season 8 was so forgettable that I zoomed right past that bit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I believe it's been firmly established that it belongs to Puck, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There’s only one guts in my heart and he was also “Zolo” in the 4Kids dub of One Piece