Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Dragon's Dogma kicks rear end and even has Guts' and Griffith's armor (only in the base version thanks to licensing weirdness, unfortunately)

The warrior's moveset also straight up uses some of guts' attacks from the manga as well. Not to mention there's one NPC who's basically caska with the serial number filed off, an optional side quest that's a loose reference to griffith's tryst with the princess as well as a forest witch girl who's hut looks very similar to the one in Berserk and is surrounded by golems. It's full of berserk references, and while the tone is all over the place, the gameplay is about as berserk as we'll probably ever get with tiny people facing down monsters that can, and will, just grab them and crush the life out of them on a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Crotch posted:

It's a shame the warrior is the worst class in the game.

It really is. It does absurd damage, enough to delete anything you can actually hit! But in the time it takes to charge those attacks up, other classes will do just as much damage spamming their attacks, and with viable means to deal with fast and airborne enemies as well.

Vandar posted:

2020 is the year I finally get around to reading Berserk.

Gonna be a good year, then.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm still of the mind that Griffith isn't actually going to get killed, and there might not even be a real showdown between him and guts (Guts had surpassed mortal Griffith pretty hard in terms of swordplay last time they fought legit, and Femto has bullshit powers that he still can manages to struggle against.) But more that it's going to conclude with basically the same thing that happened at the end of the Wilde fight, but on a grander scale: Guts and crew are going to show all of Griffith's followers the truth of what Griffith is and was reduced to. That he's not really their perfect savior and that he's just a lovely, broken man below it all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazed posted:

The list of things Berserk inspired is incredibly vast, but absolutely ridden with mediocrity. Sturgeon's law is emphatically real.

I would assert that the few Berserk "tributes" that actually work (that I've seen) are the Dark Souls games, which use a toned-down facsimile of the aesthetic (dialed back up in the third, which is more Berserk-grade tense and grotesque) and maintains a melancholic thread about the nature of humanity, and Final Fantasy, which puts a spin on the Guts-Griffith dynamic with Cloud and Sephiroth in FF7, and in FF14 has the Dark Knight quests, which take an introspective look at dealing with trauma and loss.

Also Dragon's Dogma which has a pretty good Golden Age/early post-golden age vibes and several of its side quests and characters directly homage Berserk in a few ways. The original release of the game even had Guts and Griffith's golden age armor in it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

trucutru posted:

Well, yeah, Guts and Caska surviving the eclipse shows that fate is not 100% determined for the people not chosen by the behelits but, for 99.999999% of people it is basically real.

Unless it was fate that they survived, therefore leading to the chain of events that would cause femto to be reborn, that would lead to his conflict with the kushan emperor and the material world and spirit world getting merged or whatever, and ultimately to whatever weird poo poo would have happened at the end of the series had it gone on longer. If everything is pre-ordained then it's possible that even the stuff that seems like it isn't, actually is, and that every single actor is always just playing their part no matter how badly they insist they aren't owned. :shepface:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about this.

Personally, I don't think people were going to be happy with how berserk ended no matter what; as in any actual ending it got. And now, with someone else at the helm, no matter how it ends the people who don't like it are going to argue that "Well, this isn't what Miura would have done". So it's a big whatever; if in any situation the ending of berserk probably wouldn't have lived up to the imagined hopes of most people, then I'd rather it at least get an ending by someone the creator trusted and valued as much as this guy - who seems to have understood Miura as much as he does.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Go on Isidro give Guts a little pep talk that'll cheer him up

It's actually going to be pretty interesting to see how he reacts once the initial shock wears off a bit. Because it looks like, on the outset, it might be setting him up to become a little Guts Jr. but I really don't think that's how it'd play out at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mazed posted:

it is sort of funny how out-and-out edgelordy the initial "black swordsman" arc feels. The thing that still winds up making it work is that it's building up to that single panel of Guts failing to hold back tears after just putting on a show of hardassery to the lady who's life has just been ruined (whether or not it's his fault.) There's a satisfying note of "this is it. This is who Guts really is."

And then next chapter, boom, cut to a hanged corpse giving birth to him. Welcome to the Golden Age. :buddy:

It starts off super edgy with him loving that demon and blowing it up, and ends with him showing cracks of just how broken he is; going so far as to encourage this girl to hate him, to want to kill him, if it means she survives and struggles even if that tears him up. I've always liked the Black Swordsman arc because it feels like even if it is mostly the edgelord fights, it manages to show enough of who Guts is that by the time you start seeing that Guts through the Golden Age Guts you get a real good sense of apprehension to know "Oh no, something bad happens to these people I like now".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I always just shrug that off as the writing very much still figuring out who, exactly, guts is and feeling out the character which is why that last scene feels so much more Guts than the first scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

junan_paalla posted:

After falling into a fear & hunger hole I decided to finally start reading berserk and I just wanted to share this wonderfully soulful piece of scalation.

It baffles me that any sites still use those old painfully bad scans.