Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Clearly Dark Souls is the best Berserk game.

I haven't played Dragon's Dogma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They’re nice volumes. One day I hope my descendants inherit them and are horrified by their contents and baffled by the level of detail in the art.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This sucks. This really really loving sucks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

mabels big day posted:

I felt no real allusion to ever experiencing a true ending for Berserk, but now it feels especially bittersweet to come to an abrupt end where we did, as Guts having accomplished his main goal of saving Casca's mind, while being unable to experience the catharsis we all hoped it would bring for him.
Maybe its just rationalization, but Berserk ending that way still feels like a fitting ending to Berserk to me kind of.

Bad poo poo happens to you in life, you fight to make the best of it you can even if you don't get everything you wanted in the end.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man I was not prepared for how just how incredibly sad this would make me still feel.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hirasawa soundtrack on loop today.
Same.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGl2MnVhpDM

Just the fact that the ED song is called "Waiting So Long" feels like it has a kind of bitter irony to it now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hell the Hunter's Mark from BloodBorne is straight out of Berserk.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I have no idea how I’d finish an unfinished work. I don’t think I could finish an unfinished work. I don’t think anybody can. It wouldn’t be the original work anymore.

If we do see any more content, what’s more likely to happen is that any new content will be based on, but distinct from, Berserk itself. Every author is different, with different thoughts and feelings and insights and things to say. That necessarily means any additions will be analyses, critiques, deconstructions, and reconstructions of the original works. It’ll basically be fanfiction.

We might see people offer their own versions of how the story wraps up, if there’s anything else even left. We might see people skip ahead in time and leave the rest as blanks to be filled in by the reader. Most likely, we’ll just see what we’re seeing right now and people will love on and make their own works while drawing inspiration from the series.

But Berserk is over, and there’s no denying it. What comes next will be like the branches of a great tree.
There's an interesting question too of what exactly to do with the one chapter that Miura himself cut from the story. Like if you were going to create some kind of fanfiction in the future, do you consider that chapter as a part of the true "Berserk" or not? What even is "Berserk", really?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Puck is the most undersung hero of Berserk.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Really only problem with the 90's anime is that the prologue arc is just gutted. The Golden Age arc itself is done really quite well but you lose some important context from the prologue.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Really only problem with the 90's anime is that the prologue arc is just gutted. The Golden Age arc itself is done really quite well but you lose some important context from the prologue.
I should clarify that with this post I'm talking about the 90's anime as a standalone, self-contained story in its own right. I think stuff like Skull Knight getting cut is fine for the anime as its own story, but not as a substitute for the equivalent manga chapters.

If you're reading the manga, read the whole manga.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Like the best way I could put it is that the 90's anime is the story of a guy that will probably spend the rest of the his life seeking revenge and ruining himself forever in the process. The manga, to me, is the story of a guy that gives up revenge for something far greater.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Like everyone else here I've pirated Berserk content before, but that's also what motivated me to buy the huge tome-like Deluxe Editions as they come out in the U.S. so I don't exactly feel very guilty about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stink Billyums posted:

Griffith was just a big fan of Brian De Palma
I always knew there was a reason I hated Griffith.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's honestly better than I expected, but while I don't understand comics or drawing enough to explain why this is the case, it does also feel less immersive to me than Miura's work did.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pre-orders for the bluray are up on Crunchy Store now.

Just got mine in, alongside Bocchi the Rock which as we all know is basically the same thing as Berserk anyways.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would have accepted "Both are about joining a Band" tbh.